Customize

Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

Discussion in 'CoS Front Groups' started by Plups, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Plups Member

Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

This thread is the progeny of another, in Breaking News, which has become quite enormous: DAMNING NEWS CO$ CAUGHT IN HUGE LIE WITH NEW VIDEOS ON CO$.ORG - READ!!! - Enturbulation.org Activism Forums

I have been maintaining some early posts (from p4) of that thread, regarding a video found at Scientology Video Channel: Church of Scientology Official Site by clicking on "Human Rights" and then "In Support of Human Rights".

I am now copying those posts here and will maintain them here. I invite anyone fact-checking this video to post here.

Notice to the Media - some articles in the press have suggested that people in the video the subject of this thread do not exist. In fact, many of the individuals in the video have been identified, including one that a news organisation originally though non-existent.

"In Support of Human Rights"

The CoS promotional video appears to relate to a set of 30 videos about the UN Declaration of Human Rights released by "Youth For Human Rights International" (YHR or YHRI), a supposedly independent body.

RESEARCH COMPLETED

"In Support of Human Rights"

RESEARCH CONTINUING

For more detailed investigations concerning these persons, start here: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/12-c...video-support-human-rights-5387/5/#post147570

[IMG]
    "We are trying to create a world in which everybody will have the freedom and the equality that they were born with."
    Nigeria High Commissioner to the UK ---
    [IMG]
    This is the retired previous Nigerian High Commissioner to the UK Christopher Kolade. He is a powerful figure in African business and politics and is referred to as “His Excellency”. He currently serves on the “Convention on Business Integrity”.
    EDIT: Director of Cornerstone Insurance PLC in Lagos.

[IMG]
    "The campaign assists us in moving from the previous mindset based on discrimination, based on segregation."
    Human Rights Coordinator Dept of Education Gauteng South Africa --- CONTACT MADE 29 March http://www.gautengonline.com/talk2us.htm

[IMG]
    "It puts me in a position whereby it becomes my duty to ensure that people’s human rights are observed, to ensure that people who don’t know about their human rights are informed."
    Uganda representative to the European Union
    KATENTA-APULI, Stephen Tinkasimire
    Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Head of the Mission of the Republic of Uganda to the European Communities[/url]

[IMG]
    "I have been a political activist for many years and basically the bottom line was for the people to know their rights under the law. And so this a really helped me."
    Liberia High Commissioner to the UK --- [/url]

[IMG]
    "This educational campaign is incredibly, incredibly powerful in stopping the erosion of our rights."
    Board Member, United Nations Association of America ---
    Proper name of the Association is the United Nations Association of the United States of America.

[IMG]
    "It calls elected officials, it calls communities, and cultures into accountability."
    Bishop Imani Temple, Washington D.C. ---
    Bishop Carlos E. Harvin serves as Pastor of Imani Temple

[IMG]
    "It is a demand that we do it now, that we look at the individual rights guaranteed by the United Nations in its Declaration."
    Member House of Representatives, US Congress ---
    Congressman Brad Sherman, Democrat from CA 27th Congressional District.

[IMG]
    "You stand for your rights and automatically then the government officials have to take note and change their policies."
    Honorary Chairperson, Federation of of Indo-American Women Wing, California CONTACT MADE 28 March
    The Federation of Indo-American Association of Northern California. They have no "women's wing", or an honorary chairperson. They do have a Board of directors

[IMG]
    "It is bringing everybody together under the understanding: “Look – we are all in this together.”"
    Commissioner Los Angeles County, California --- CONTACT MADE 28 March
    Rev. Zedar Broadous, Vice President (2007-0
    Reverend Broadous is Publisher of the San Fernando Valley African American "Chronicle News" and is well know for his efforts in the promotion of understanding and equal opportunity for all peoples. He is President of the San Fernando Valley NAACP, founder of the San Fernando Black Chanber of Commerce and a board member of the Valley Interfaith Council.
    http://humanrelations.co.la.ca.us/ab.../broadous3.jpg
    http://humanrelations.co.la.ca.us/ab...missioners.htm
    Got on the phone with him (he was in the car atm) and he said that he was aware of a video on human rights, but not how it is being used. I am about to send him an email, per his request, and show him where to find it.

[IMG]
    "L. Ron Hubbard had the courage and the vision to put this together and say: “These are the rights that belong to all of us.” He is saying that it is up to us and here it is, go for it, we can do it."
    Dean and Professor of Justice Studies, American University --- Plups is investigating. CONTACT MADE: Email sent to Professor Trotter, Director, Justice Studies American University, Deirdre Golash, Chair, Department of Justice, Law and Society, AU
    There is no department of Justice Studies at AU. I do nor recognize the speaker in the video. Deirdre Golash, Chair, Department of Justice, Law and Society, American University , Washington

[IMG]
    "We have to thank the church of scientology for all these big and different campaigns for our human rights. Not for the humans rights, for our human rights of everybody around the world."
    President Emeritus Kiwanis International Belgium --- CONTACT MADE: Email sent to François Paulus
    There is currently no direct Belgian representative of Kawanis international. These are all the representatives I could find.
    International board- KI Board
    Foundation board- KIF Board
    I also had a quick look around the European site, this is the current president of kawanis International. His name is Ed Callis, the pictures do not match:
    http://www.kiwanis-europe.org/images/board members/Ed-Callis.jpg
    ___

François Paulus
    http://www.kiwanis-europe.org/images/KIEF board 2007-2008/Francois_Paulus.jpg
  2. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

"from what that link shows, his name is Abel Djerari. From what I can find on him through Google, yeah, he's a "deputy mayor" - but according to every source I've found, that's a "civil society that has no bearing on municipal matters". He's apparently run for office in French Regional Elections, and he kinda got his butt kicked."

Your translation is not accurate, if it comes from his own site:
    - In French: "Abel Djerari. Formateur. Maire Adjoint(*) des 11-12èmes arrondissements de Marseille. Tête de liste « Liste Indépendante » aux régionales en PACA. (*) Elu société civile, sans étiquette sur la liste de la majorité municipale actuelle."
    - In English: "Abel Djerari. Teacher. Mayor adjunct(*) for 11th-12th Marseille's boroughs.
    Leader of the "Independent List" at the regional elections in PACA [Provence- Alpes - Côte d'Azur]. (*) Candidate of the civil society [often from associations], without etiquette, on the list of the municipal majority."

To summarize, he is a legitimate borough adjunct mayor, but he belongs to no party.
  3. xenu55 Member

I was the OP of the old thread, and I support this thread!!!!:alien:
  4. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: Director Center of Sociology Studies, College of Mexico

The small photo shows clearly that the second name is accurate, not the first one.
  5. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: Cabinet secretary national Government, Philippines

He has been identified. You have a summry in my message on p. 4 of the original thread.
  6. Re: Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

This is a good letter, Plups, but that was the Justice Programs Office. Did you also send something to the Department of Justice, Law and Society? The JPO is a research office attached to the main dept.

The directory says the current Chair is a Dedire Golash, but a Richard R. Bennet's CV says he was the Chair recently:

CURRENT POSITION
    Chair, Department of Justice Law and Society (2005 - Present).

However, the only picture I have doesn't look enough like the guy in the video.

The picture of the Doctoral Chair doesn't look enough like the guy either.

Could you send your letter to Professor Golash and cc her Assistant? That would probably help get to the bottom of things.
  7. Plups Member

bless you! And I support the old thread too! *mwah*
  8. Plups Member

Nice work, OnAMissionFromMarcab. I shall email those people also.
  9. Plups Member

Done.
  10. ChuckyLarms Member

A big cup of internets to everyone fact-checking and bringing to light the lies and deceit behind this business.
  11. Plups Member

Copy of Dubber's letter as a reference - to be amended to address the "Youth for Human Rights" campaign of CoS.

NOTE: If you wish to copy this letter, you must "quote" it and copy the text from the quote box, otherwise the url's won't work.

12. Sargo Member

for sargo's investigation

ok i've been doing the board members of United nations assiocation of the united States of america

they got the name wrong by the way. scientology called it United nations assiocation of america, if someone can get me just that pic it would help alot

Rajat Kumar Gupta nope http://www.sree.net/stories/bt-gupta.html
    William J. McDonough not so fast http://www.ml.com/?id=7695_8134_8302_63919
    Thomas R. Pickering srry fail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_R._Pickering
    William H. Luers too white http://uscpublicdiplomacy.com/index....lliam_h_luers/
    Jimmy Carter no pic but it's jimmy cater we're talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...tes_of_America
    John C. Whitehead no http://www.nndb.com/people/072/000057898/
    Josh S. Weston nope http://events.adelphi.edu/news/2005/20050919.php
    Gillian Sorensen..girl
    Janice Hunt also girl
    ****ANYTHING ABOVE HERE IS NOT THE PERSON IN VIDEO*******
    Richard A. Voell ..can't find picture of him..but found where he lives...google is creepy
    ********picture unfound*****
    hmmmm ok screw this taking too long, i'll just call

can anyone give me the link to the video in question
    i needs the one with board member in it.

and by link i mean directions..go here then here then here ...ok^_^

then i'll give myself a script with some key points
  13. anonybuses Member

Sargo:

http://www.Scientology.org/index.html > Go to the human rights section and choose the "In support of Human Rights" video.
  14. Sargo Member

thanx my computer can't access site^_^
  15. Re: Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

instead of using tiny text, could you wrap the quotes from the video in " " and prefix or suffix them with something to indicate they're from the CoS funded propaganda.

some kind of highlight one of the guys that's busted, red text maybe, would be cool tool.
  16. Re: Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

More info on Saludo:
    http://valleynews.com/TheValley/Stories/News/Government/Story~330139.aspx
    Hmm.. Check out lbweiland the OP for that article> http://www.nowpublic.com/scientolog...philippines_important_human_rights_initiative
  17. iaxiloll Member

I almost fell of my feet , I know Mr .Christopher Kolade personally. I met him in london last year, he is a family friend and no longer lives in the Uk. I still have his daughters number.

[IMG]

He is a man of integrity and not a Scilon for sure.
  18. iaxiloll Member

Oh yes indeed go ahead and will contact his daughter tomorrow. She flies to Nigeria on an almost weekly basis. PM me a package that I can send her.
  19. Sargo Member

i'm gonna steal above message^_^

damn it..above above message, what should the title be?
  20. Re: Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

Got a copy of Project Blockbuster to pass on too? :)
  21. Sargo Member

i have e-mail the UNA-USA with the template provided by somebody deleted

made some modifications for the switch over.
    maybe i'll call too
  22. Plups Member

Sure I can do the quote thing differently.

As for the highlighting, I've already done that. The one case where we can be sure there's been misrepresentation is the Florida Family Justice Center - note the box and red text. For the rest, I'm not willing to say there's enough evidence of misrepresentation to start reporting on yet.
  23. Plups Member

I'm troubled by the wording of this message:

"propaganda" - well, yes, that's how we see it, but the term is pejorative and unnecessary. Better with government and professional people to adopt an objective and professional tone.
    This would be better framed as questions, keeping an open mind (or the appearance of one!) about CoS's behaviour in this matter.
    It would be best to give an official source for the CoS standing in Germany. I think Dubber's letter does this well. Also, the second half of the sentence sounds like "I can't believe you would have done this knowingly!" This could be quite insulting if the gentleman did in fact, on the basis of what he knew or was told about CoS intend to endorse the particular Human Rights program. Again, better to ask questions.
    THIS IS UNTRUE.
    It might not be an illusion! Again, better to ask the question than editorialise that there has been misleading editing.

Has this message been sent?
  24. Plups Member

Message sent to Professors Trotter and Golash (cc'd to Ms Comins-Richmond) of American University

25. Plups Member

Does anyone know how to conduct a registration search for a company in the US? I'd like to search the registration details for:

"Youth for Human Rights International", which I've seen referred to as a corporation (company); and
    "Foundation for Human Rights and Tolerance" (I don't know whether this is a company or an association).

But I don't know where to go to search their registration details.
  26. Re: Fact-Checking CoS Video "In Support of Human Rights"

Ok This guy:

2350161864_d0452efe4e.jpg?v=0.jpg

Can't find a name for him, as the title is fairly vague, but according to cia.gov the current Sec. of Social Development for Mexico (Note: NOT Mexico City) is Ernesto Javier Cordero Arroyo. His wiki says he's a member of PAN, the National Action Party, "a conservative and Christian Democratic party and one of the three main political parties in Mexico."

Don't think he'd want an advisor to be seen to be advocating a different "religion".

The only other name that comes up is Sara Topelson de Grinberg, who seemed to work with Beatriz Zavala, the previous incumbent, and also a member of PAN.

It's not much, but anyone else found anything?

KOA
  27. Ann O'Nymous Member

orp Number Date Filed Status Corporation Name Agent for Service of Process
    C2728885 3/23/2005 active YOUTH FOR HUMAN RIGHTS INTERNATIONAL MARY SHUTTLEWORTH

Corporation
    YOUTH FOR HUMAN RIGHTS INTERNATIONAL
    Number: C2728885 Date Filed: 3/23/2005 Status: active
    Jurisdiction: California
    Address
    1954 HILLHURST AVE #416
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90027-2722
    Agent for Service of Process
    MARY SHUTTLEWORTH
    1954 HILLHURST AVE #416
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90027-2722

Source: http://kepler.ss.ca.gov/corpdata/ShowAllList?QueryCorpNumber=C2728885
  28. Plups Member

Email sent just now.

tl;dr As Youth for Human Rights, CoS says all the right things. As CoS, it does everything it says should never happen.
  29. Anon23517 Member

Wow, Plups, I'll be very interested to see what David Clarke says in reply to your letter.
  30. O Fortuna Member

I posted in the Mexico Protest thread, so I think there'll be some locals on it fairly soon. Geographic proximity is helpful.
  31. Plups Member

Me too. I hope you don't mind that I just sent it without consulting. I know it could have been shorter, but, meh. In the end the allegations are so significant that I think it's important to back them up.
  32. Plups Member

Just received this email from the Honourable David Clarke. I have returned his call, leaving a message.
  33. Plups Member

Response from Deirdre Golash regarding the "Dean and Professor of Justice Studies, American University".

34. Lrononymous Member

Wins!!! This is going to make a great counter video!
  35. Anon23517 Member

Oh man, that is AWESOME! Will be very interested to see what he says when he returns your call.
  36. Plups Member

Awaiting further email from him. Had a long chat. I'll just say for now that he has instructed Youth for Human Rights that he wants the clip removed. More to come.
  37. Anon23517 Member

I just want you to know I squealed like a giddy schoolgirl when I read this!

Also, do we have anyone looking into this lady? http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/47943/2006241788263283022_rs.jpg (Dpt. of Corrections, NSW.) If not, I'll start the research.
  38. Plups Member

It's a great outcome, isn't it?

I can't access the jpg of the lady you mention (work;filters). She's not in the Human Rights video, is that right? I haven't kept track of what people are doing re the other videos.