Customize

Facebook: New Auto-Politically-Correct Filter?

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by another123, May 6, 2012.

1. another123 Member

techcrunch.com: Facebook Stops Users From Posting ‘Irrelevant Or Inappropriate’ Comments

Today was just another Saturday morning in blog land when Robert Scoble, the well-known tech startup enthusiast, went to post a comment on a Facebook post written by Carnegie Mellon student Max Woolf about the nature of today’s tech blogging scene. Scoble’s comment itself was pretty par-for-the-course — generally agreeing with Woolf’s sentiments and adding in his own two cents.
    But when Scoble went to click post, he received an odd error message:
    “This comment seems irrelevant or inappropriate and can’t be posted. To avoid having comments blocked, please make sure they contribute to the post in a positive way.”

4d8924550508ef96e0230edb65373e90.jpg
    A Facebook policy spokesperson emailed the following explanation:
    “To protect the millions of people who connect and share on Facebook every day, we have automated systems that work in the background to maintain a trusted environment and protect our users from bad actors who often use links to spread spam and malware. These systems are so effective that most people who use Facebook will never encounter spam. They’re not perfect, though, and in rare instances they make mistakes. This comment was mistakenly blocked as spammy, and we have already started to make adjustments to our classifier. We look forward to learning from rare cases such as these to make sure we don’t repeat the same mistake in the future. [more]
  2. Anonymous Member

Facebook is primarily a data mining site. Now, Facebook admins don't want users to troll each other? What exactly is the allure of Facebook?
  3. another123 Member

New Improved Facebook. Now with more Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows.
    [oh god, i think i'm going to be sick]
  4. moarxenu Member

Does political correctness have anything to do with political parties?

5. It's farcebook! Who gives a fuck?
  6. Herro Member

The title of that article and this thread are both highly misleading. This seems to be the case of an over zealous spam filter, not any kind of politically correct filter.
  7. Zak McKracken Member

Marxist ideology

8. mongrel Member

Does this mean I can't randomly post "FUCK YOU NIGGER!!!" on my friends' facebook pages?!?

LOL, just kidding. I don't have a facebook account. I don't have any friends either :(
    • Like Like x 1