Customize

Facebook and freedom of thought

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Cyber Null, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

If this site required registration with my real name I would not be here. Ditto some other sites.
    The actions that I have taken through those memberships would not have taken place.
  2. kasiopeja Member

hello Horus, and have you read a 1Q84 from Haruki Murakami , also great book written in modern times with similar idea?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Robocat Member

Yes, they do have a delete option.
  4. Horus Member

No I haven't but I'll be sure to look it up next time I'm in the library! :)

Last time a friend of mine had to delete an account, he had to write to FB multiple times to ensure that the data behind the account was deleted, so it's not as simple as just pressing the delete button... :S
  5. Robocat Member

Yes, it is. I did it.
  6. James Spader Member

This is the part where you perform a service by telling everyone exactly how you did it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Robocat Member

I wish I could remember, since it was months ago. Darn. As I was typing into Google search: How to delete ... it came on top to say How to delete Facebook! I'm an awesome! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16929680703

At that link: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_

http://lifehacker.com/5813506/how-to-delete-your-facebook-account

The trick is to not sign-in for (I think) 14 days after you delete your account. I permanently deleted my account, and waited, so I can no longer access my old account now. This means I cannot view the first URL I posted.
  8. When I deleted, I later learned that it was not deleted.

From a Slashdot posting, I learned that I had to return and delete everything I had ever posted on FB, and then delete the account. I was told by FB admin that if I didn't return to the site for three months, the account would be permanently removed. This was about two years ago, and protocols may have changed.
  9. Robocat Member

They used to to a "suspended" or some such status. And if you signed-on within 6 months, it would be as if you never left. Now, you can actually delete all of your content, all in a click. I don't recall the date that this feature became available, but it has been there for months, and available now.
  10. "cough cough cough " #opfacebook
  11. i would like to know more info on deleting all my stuff on fb any clue ?
  12. Long time since I crossed that threshold, and I was on my out at the time.

If you want to delete stuff, there should be no impediment. If there is, complain, stridently.

If you want to delete your account entirely, you may have to delete everything you ever posted on FB. After that point is reached, if you elect to close or delete your account, go ahead and do it.

There may be a period of three months or so, where the account is kept alive. If you don't access the account for over three months, the admin there claim that the account will be deleted. Do I believe them? No. Do I ever go there? No.
  13. Smurf Member

I had an earlier Facebook page which I successfully deleted. Facebook says it will delete it after 14 days of non-use (meaning you can't sign in to it or it eliminates your request to delete it).

It's gone now.
  14. kasiopeja Member

I am not so well educated in internet at all - just using it, but few days ago it happened that somebody was opening my Facebook account from other geographical location and in time that I am sure that wasn't in front of machine.
    What does it mean? That somebody else could look what ever I did on Facebook and even write under my name?
  15. Anonymous Member

How do you know? Did Facebook tell you? What "other geographical location" data did you find and how??
  16. kasiopeja Member

wasn't facbook, but Google gmail, where I received message with that information.