Customize

excerpts from Verfassungsschutz-AG report

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Apr 24, 2008.

1. indeedindeed Member

Re: excerpts from Verfassungsschutz-AG report

It's a different report. It seems to be an intermediate report containing first results of the observations.
    The result of the report we are currently translating (AGSC) was that Scientology should be observed and the report you linked to (BLAGSC) are first results after they started the observation. It seems to be from the same group. Very interesting, I've never seen this document before.
  2. Fleischmann Member

Alright, I'll get on to that in the next few days. Even though I'm going on a field trip starting next monday and returning on friday evening..
  3. TrevAnon Member

I think this document is harder to translate than "Das System Scientology". Very long and complex sentences.

Raw (sometimes very raw) translation of the preface, the introduction, and parts I and II of the document. Ready to edit for someone who is native German and very good in English, or vice versa...

I'd appreciate a confirmation that you guys can open the ZIP and the TXT-files.

Have phun!

Unless I read otherwise I will continue with part IV and V.
  4. TrevAnon Member

Proposal for further translation into English:

Landesamt für Verfassungsschutz Baden-Württemberg

There's enough information out there! :wink:

(Where's the thread about what to translate from German into English?? :sad: )
  5. indeedindeed Member

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/44-german/what-should-translated-german-10999/

there's the thread. It's just that only threads from the last thirty days are shown by default, so it didnt appear. This can be changed via display options when viewing the subforum. You're right, there really is enough info out there. Will have a look at these documents later.
    everything worked fine with regards to zip and txt, thanks.
  6. TrevAnon Member

Oops :frustration:
  7. indeedindeed Member

one week ago I wanted to look at the road to february 10th subtitle thread and just couldn't find it. I almost wanted to complain, how can you do this, why was it deleted BAWWW. Luckily I didn't and instead changed the time in the display options... and there it was.
  8. TrevAnon Member

For me this is really a hard text... :frustration: I seriously doubt if I can be of any help to you guys, and I admire you for the work you have already done on part III of the report.

The question is: will you get quicker results from directly translating the text from German into English yourselves, or by using my raw material.

Enclosed you will find part IV after getting it through Babel Fish and getting the paragraphs as they were in the German text (Babel Fish removes that). I tried to edit like I did with "Das System Scientology" but after a while I stopped, because it did not make very much sense to me.

I'm very sorry I can't do better at the moment. I think it's over my head. :flop:

However: if you think my work helps you get the job done faster, I will go on with other parts.
  9. indeedindeed Member

First of all thanks a lot for your work. I agree that this text is complicated as it is bureaucratic in style and ripe with technical terms. Your results will be of help in any case, because when I'm considering different possibilities how to translate something specific or when I wonder what word I should use, this may give me ideas. Probably -at least that will probably be my approach- I'll try to translate it from the original and to regularly compare to your version. Your work isn't in vain in any case.
  10. TrevAnon Member

Thanks for the post, that's reassuring. :flowers: I'll go on with the other parts.
  11. TrevAnon Member

Part V, Part VI en Part VII / VIII.

Only used Babel fish and getting the paragraphs as they were in the German version.

Appendices I and II to follow later this week...
  12. TrevAnon Member

There you are: the appendices of the report, similarly treated.

I think by now you have enough home-work to do... :wink:
  13. indeedindeed Member

thanks a lot. yes, it's more than enough homework. First I'll try to improve what I've translated in this thread so far and add to the list of sources in OP.
    If nothing will happen there, I'll soon start with the "System Scientology" translation based on your results.
    Just taking the list what should be translated from english to german and german to english probably gives for months of work. I hope people will be interested in the results.
  14. TrevAnon Member

You're welcome. If I can do anything further just ask here or PM me.
  15. moarxenu Member

Moar great work from teh indeedindeed Anon Department of Translations. Could you translate the table of contents so we can tell what bits of which sections are being translated?

This is really important. We need official documents we can quote to the media.
  16. Ann O'Nymous Member

If I am correct, we have two nice pieces (thanks indeedindeed and Fleischmann):
    - pp. 45-73
    - pp. 111-114.

Could it be possible to put them into one document ?
  17. TrevAnon Member

I have translated the whole document using BabelFish German-> English. I uploaded the txt's I made on this site in its enturbulation.org-days, but at one moment the admins decided to no longer support uploading docs. As I do no longer have copies of the work I did, I sincerely hope that someone has downloaded my files. :(
  18. indeedindeed Member

Yes, I can translate it, but if you would only like to know which parts were translated, the titles of the subsections are contained in the translated excerpts.
    Anyway, I'm going to translate the table of contents.

Ok, I think most of the good stuff is on wikileaks already or in other public sources and for a short statement of the german stance towards Scientology there is a document from the german embassy if I'm not mistaken and there is also a statement on the english page of federal Verfassungsschutz.
    But I see how this document could be helpful, e.g. when harpooning officials. I think it would be nice to have the entire document translated in the long run, but as it has 145 pages this is quite a lot of stuff.

You are correct, these two parts have been translated at least to the point of a first draft, the OP gives an overview over the topics that are treated.
    It could be possible, I don't see anything that's blocking anyone from putting these parts into one document. It's only important to state that this is not an official translation. Right now the parts are a little chaotic and mixed in this thread and they can still be improved.
  19. indeedindeed Member

I've omitted page numbers, as they probably won't fit with the translated document.

20. moarxenu Member

Thanks for the TOC translation. btw I was just reading the English version of the Annual Report 2005 on the Protection of the Constitution. They backtranslated Volunteer Ministers as Honorary Priests lol.