Customize

excerpts from Verfassungsschutz-AG report

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Apr 24, 2008.

1. indeedindeed Member

excerpts from Verfassungsschutz-AG report

Significance of this document: This report from 1997 led to the decision to put Scientology under observation by the german interior intelligence agency Verfassungsschutz (Office for Protection of the Constitution). These are translations of excerpts from this report. The report was authored by a joint group of experts from the federal OPC and from the state OPCs.

In 2007 the committee of all the german interior ministers decided to check whether procedures for a ban of organized Scientology in Germany should be introduced. The report they received in 2008 contained a negative verdict, based among other reasons on a lack of militancy -violent action- in Scientology's opposition to democracy, which was again confirmed. For the time being, a ban is off the table in Germany. The current situation is that CoS is still under observation by several state OPCs and by the federal OPC. The situation in Berlin is unstable, currently tending again to a continuation of the observation.

original here: http://www.im.nrw.de/sch/doks/vs/agsc.pdf

which excerpts?

Unfortunately there's not much about businesses, there is no section dealing exclusively with WISE. However there are excerpts from scientological texts which are mentioning WISE as just another means of pushing LRH tech into the entire society, e.g. from a text with goals for scientology Switzerland, what Switzerland should look like when it has become a "clear society":

update: table of contents has been roughly translated and can be found here: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/714162-post59/

I'll list parts that are imo relevant with regards to this (list might grow):

OSA p.69-72/73 ·rough first translation done
    very interesting btw.
    - operation against protestant church in germany (EKD) to protect scientology structures in south africa during apartheid
    - greece in some details
    - OSA letter to Verfassungsschutz to discredit an us-american lawyer critical of the organization. Ok, so OSA was -according to this- writing a letter to a foreign intelligence service to discredit an american citizen
    - alleged death threats against munich police president and local politician
    - faking of documents to get a counsellor within the german army to lose his job and to get criminal investigations against him started
    - employing of a policeman to collect a list with car plates of visitors of a critic

political goals/infiltration:

p.45-57 rough first translation done
    (partially 57-59) rough first translation done

antidemocratic attitude/political goals:

p.60-64 especially this needs to be translated imho rough first translation done

"fair game" is part of antidemocratic attitude:

that's why p.64-69 would also be good rough first translation done

maybe summary p.111-114 rough first translation done

ok, rough first translations of these parts have been done now. Anyone willing to offer suggestions on what to change is very welcome.

the following list isn't complete yet and will be updated from time to time. First all references to HCOPLs and HCOBLs (bulletins) will be entered, because they may be checked for accuracy fairly easily for anyone with access to them.

list of sources mentioned in footnotes

(original, complete list on pages 132 to 145 in the german original document, the dates work this way: day.month.year)

warning: most of the page numbers refer to german editions of these texts/books. Furthermore, there are non-verbatim original english quotes, because they were translated first for this report from english to german and now they were being translated the other way. So don't quote those from here. There's also no guarantee for the english titles of books -whether from LRH or from critics- are the same ones as those mentioned here. They should be similar in any case.

7 cp. with regards to the term "Clear": Hubbard, Dianetics, The modern science of mental health, [The manual of dianetic processes], 8th edition, Copenhagen 1984 (quoted as Hubbard, Dianetics) p.215 [this is referring to a german version] cp. with regards to the term "aberration": Hubbard, [collection of technical terms], p.1
    8 cp. for explanation of the terms: Hubbard, [collection of technical terms], p.27 ("engram"); p.106, 4, 74 ("mind"); p.7 ("auditing"/"auditor"); p.71 ("preclear")
    9 cp. with regards to the term "scientology": Hubbard, [collection of technical terms], p.87
    10 cp. with regards to the term "thetan": Hubbard, [collection of technical terms], p.98
    12 cp. with regards to the term "OT": Hubbard, [collection of technical terms], p.67
    13 cp. with Hubbard Communication Office Policy Letter (HCOPL) of 21.10.1971, p.3
    14 cp. with Haack, Scientology- 20th century magic, 2nd edition, Munich 1991, p.52 (quoted as: Haack, Magic); also cp. with L. Ron Hubbard, The Handbook for Volunteer Ministers, 2nd edition, Copenhagen, 1983, p.741 (quoted as: Hubbard, Handbook)
    22 Larry D. Wollersheim, affidavit, (published by Aktion Bildungsinformation Stuttgart ABI 12-80-164), 1980
    23 André Tabayoyon, affidavit, published by Homer Wilson Smith, 26.08.1994 in Usenet Newsgroup
    24 Robert Vaughn Young, declaration (published by Homer Wilson Smith, 10.10.1994, also in Usenet Newsgroup)
    25 Mary Tabayoyon, affidavit of 05.03.1994
    26 Vicky Aznaran, affidavit of 07.03.1994
    28 Gerald Armstrong, declaration (published by Tilman Hausherr, 18.01.1997 in Newsgroup: alt.religion.scientology)
    30 Susanne Elleby, questioning on 05.02.1997 in the bavarian state office of Verfassungsschutz
    32 Daniel Fumagalli, questioning on 05.02.1997 in the bavarian state office of Verfassungsschutz
    59 HCOPL of 21.10.1971, p.2
    67 HCOPL of 13.02.1965/07.10.1985
    69 HCOPL of 13.02.1965/07.10.1985
    73 HCOPL of 27.03.1965 p.1
    77 HCOPL of 07.08.1965 p.4
    78 HCOPL of 27.03.1965
    84 HCO-Bulletin of 10.06.1966/12.04.1983, p.2 and 3; quoted according to CDU study
    87 HCO-Bulletin of 23.06.1960, p.6
    106 HCOPL of 27.03.1965 corrected and republished on 15.10.1985
    107 HCOPL of 27.03.1965
    119 HCO-Bulletin of 27.09.1966 p.7,8
    120 HCOPL of 02.10.1961/07.03.1967, quoted according to CDU study, p.54,55
    124 HCOPL of 05.01.1968, p.1
    125 HCOPL of 07.02.1965/27.08.1980 p.6
    133 HCOPL of 01.09.1965
    140 {long footnote, for now just the part about HCOPLs, deals with fair game and cancellation and the question whether "fair game" as a course of action was cancelled or just the usage of the term} HCOPL of 07.03.1965 , HCOPL of 21.10.1965, p.1
    141 affidavit of Tabayoyon of 05.03.1994, p.8
    146 HCOPL of 17.02.1966, 'Ron's Journal 67', p.2 and 4
    147 cp to: Hubbard, Handbook, p.687: "Guardian: The person, whose purpose it is to execute policy and to distribute it in order to protect Scientology churches, scientologists and Scientology. Guardian's Office: To it alone the care and defense of Scientology is transferred. The purpose of this organization is basically a protective function."
    148 HCOPL 17.02.1966, [quoted according to Haack, Magie p.241]
    149 cp to: Hubbard, Handbook, p.687
    150 compare to report SC Athens to OSA Europe (internal order by SC)
    151 compare to ethics order of Sea Org No 1324 of 22.05.1995 (internal order by SC)
    152 compare to Executive Directive No 558 of 26.06.1995 (internal order by SC)
    153 compare to Executive Directive of 16.08.1995
    154 compare to judgement of the [regional court] in Athens Nr. 7380/1996, as well as an article in Neue Züricher Zeitung of 22.01.1997
    156 compare to Stuttgarter Nachrichten [newspaper] of 10.06.1992
    The article refers to the statements of two persons who applied for the job
    157 compare to Stuttgarter Nachrichten [newspaper] of 10.06.1992
    158 compare to Stuttgarter Nachrichten [newspaper] of 10.06.1992
    159 compare to Stuttgarter Nachrichten [newspaper] of 10.06.1992; Hamburger Abendblatt [newspaper] of 04.06.1992
    160 compare to letter by Scientology Church International, Office of Special Affairs of 11.01.1995 to BfV [federal office of Verfassungsschutz], p.4
    187 HCOPL of 5.1.1965 p. I
    227 HCO-PL "DEPT OF GOVT AFFAIRES" of august 15th 1960, p.2
  2. indeedindeed Member

Re: excerpts from Verfassungsschutz-AG report

very rough first translation of III.2.4.7 (p.69 and a bit of p.70). The quotes need not be the same as in the english original as they were translated twice. SC is Scientology.

3. indeedindeed Member

rough translation of next subsection (rest of p.70), where i translated "greek agency" it says in the original greek Staatsschutz. This is in germany a police unit dealing with crimes with political background.

4. indeedindeed Member

same limitations as before -footnotes to sources and non-verbatim english quotes- rough translation of first part of next subsection (p.71 and a bit of p.72)

5. indeedindeed Member

rough translation continued. rest of p.72 and some of p.73. That was the part of the report dealing in detail with OSA.

remark: Renate Hartwig made Scientology criticism really popular in germany
    during the 90s, but has since stopped her very strong criticism of
    Scientology and started criticizing the critics while claiming never to have
    claimed scientology was terrorizing people, she only would
    have said this should be investigated which to this day allegedly didn't
    lead to any results, there would be a conspiracy against Scientology and she
    would refuse to be a part of this

6. indeedindeed Member

starting to translate p.45 onwards.

remark: Where it says ["measurement adjusted for"] there's an incomplete
    sentence in the original lacking this part, but it's pretty certain that this
    is what he wanted to say here

Factual indication ("tatsächliche Anhaltspunkte") and Protected Goods ("Schutzgüter") are technical terms. Factual indication is less than proof. Protected Goods are basically democratic values, because in theory Verfassungsschutz as an intelligence agency was founded to protect the constitution, so in the law which governs their work ("Bundesverfassungsschutzgesetz" or short BVerfSchG) there is a border before they can get active or observe anyone and this is what is examined in chapter 3.

Same limitations as before- rough translation, footnotes to sources missing and non-verbatim english quotes. p.45

7. indeedindeed Member

same limitations as before: rough translation, non-verbatim original english quotes
    p.46

8. indeedindeed Member

same limitations as before: rough translation, non-verbatim original english quotes

remark: where i translated western ("westlichen") it says in the original
    "wesentlichen" meaning "the fundamental one" or "the only one that really
    matters", but i assume this is just a typo. Not sure about "apolitical", maybe
    "nonpolitical" or "unpolitical"; its "unpolitisch" in the original.

p.47 and the first part of p.48, this concludes the explanation of Scientology's official stance towards its nature. The next posting will continue with the findings of Verfassungsschutz with regards to the questions whether there are factual indications for violations against the liberal basic order.

9. indeedindeed Member

same limitations as before: rough translation, no footnotes with sources, non-verbatim original english quotes

p.48 continued, part of p.49

10. indeedindeed Member

same limitations as before: rough translation, no footnotes with sources, non-verbatim original english quotes

rest of p.49, beginning of p.50

11. indeedindeed Member

p.50 completed and most of p.51

12. indeedindeed Member

remark: the first sentence sounds strange, but it does so in the original as well- it really says tolerate ("dulden") there.

rest of p.51, some of p.52

13. indeedindeed Member

rest of p.52, some of p.53

14. indeedindeed Member

rest of p.53 until most of p.55 BTW sources to the footnotes will be delivered later, so the quotes can be checked for with the original publications this report claims to have found them in.

It appears that Hubbard indeed stated an explicit desire to rule the world.

15. indeedindeed Member

remark: I know some quotes sound very strange, but this is only in part due
    to the translation. this especially holds true with regards to the quote about
    "keeping centres going"

rest of p.55 up to beginning of p.57

16. Fleischmann Member

Anyone already doing page 60 onwards? Otherwise I'll try to do it..
  17. indeedindeed Member

rest of this section on p.57

18. indeedindeed Member

remark: now the context of the quotations in the first posting can be seen.

rest of p.57 to the end of p.59

A list of the sources to which the footnotes refer to has been added -incomplete yet- to the first posting.
  19. indeedindeed Member

Fleischmann

thanks for your offer. i will proceed by translating the summary first (p.111-114) and after this i will probably proceed by translating page by page from 69 backwards to 60 so if you translate anything from 60 onwards there won't be double-work.
  20. indeedindeed Member

p.111

21. Fleischmann Member

Very well, I hope I manage to get on to it this weekend. Sorry, but with the exquisite weather of the last week it just was not possible to stay in front of the p00ter for too long ;).
  22. indeedindeed Member

p.112 and a bit of p.113

23. indeedindeed Member

p.113 continuation and about half of p.114

24. indeedindeed Member

rest of p. 114

25. Fleischmann Member

Alright, allow me to join in with pages 60 and 61 (and two lines from page 62)..

26. Fleischmann Member

Goddammit, double post. I beg your pardon.
  27. indeedindeed Member

excellent stuff, thanks.
  28. Fleischmann Member

Sure thing, you're welcome.

Aaand here comes the next installment: pages 62 and 63, with the first paragrap of page 64:

29. Fleischmann Member

Here are page 64-65.
    As with all my efforts, these are raw translations without footnotes and containing non-verbatim english quotes, etc.

30. Fleischmann Member

Don't worry, I'm still on it. Expect me to deliver the last remaining package (p66-69) by tomorrow afternoon/evening. :smile:
  31. indeedindeed Member

lower half of p.67 onwards to a bit of p.69

32. Fleischmann Member

Oh, awesome. :)
    However, it does seem that my parts are in need of linguistic refinement..
  33. TrevAnon Member

Are there any pieces of this document for which I can make a raw translation?
  34. Fleischmann Member

I'd guess that anything not mentioned in the OP is still available. However, the most important excerpts have already been proceeded (though my parts still need to be corrected...).
  35. indeedindeed Member

TrevAnon

If you want to do it you can run the entire document -link in OP- through your method or any part you like, e.g. the part about RPFs.

Fleischmann

My text parts also still need corrections, but besides the small part between the thing you last translated and the part I last translated (I think something like 66-67), everything mentioned in OP has been translated.
    I'm not sure, whether these are the most important parts, it simply were those that were requested. The statements of former members, the structure, the RPFs, the list of court rulings and inverstigations may be interesting too. The entire document is.
  36. TrevAnon Member

As I see it, you guys have been focusing on part III of the original document, and on the summary.

For now I'll concentrate on parts I and II. I'll make a raw translation like I did on the "Das System Scientology"-booklet. I guess sunday or monday I'll deliver some results. Then it's up to someone else to check that.

After that, we'll see who will be doing the other parts... :)
  37. TrevAnon Member

Question. The document we're translating here has as filename agsc.pdf (at least in my case). I have also found a document "Bericht der Bund-Länder-Arbeitsgruppe Scientology" which has as filename blagsc.pdf.

Can someone tell me the difference? I don't get it.
  38. Fleischmann Member

I think that "agsc" refers to the Arbeitsgruppe Scientology of the Verfassungsschutz of Northrine-Westphalia.

Alright, the last piece of the puzzle:

page 66 and upper half of page 67. same limitations as before.
  39. indeedindeed Member

From the title alone, I would not expect it to be any difference. AGSC means "Arbeitsgruppe Scientology"
    "working group [on the topic of] Scientology." "Bund-Länder-Arbeitsgruppe Scientology" means "federal-state-working group [on the topic of] Scientology". I guess it's the same, because this working group consisted of Verfassungsschutz representatives from the federal level as well as from the state levels.

Fleischmann

nice, the last piece. That's why we can have nice things. I don't think it refers to a NRW group, it's just hosted at an NRW institution and there's a preface to it from a 1997 NRW minister introducing the report and saying it's for the citizen's information.
    I'll update my parts with regards to footnotes and mistakes and I'll also try to update the OP with more sources.
  40. TrevAnon Member