Customize

Exactly how much money is Tom Cruise losing?

Discussion in 'Tom and Katie' started by Anonymous, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Exactly how much money is Tom Cruise losing?

I've been trying to figure out a proper balance sheet to properly graph the downward curve of TC's career. Not really any purpose to it but boredom / morale boosting (it would be nice to know when we can plan on having this particular stone out of our collective shoe).

I've encountered the following problems:

1) Reporters tend to be very nebulous when they talk about the figures involved in a film. Take Valkyrie, for example. Wikipedia says 75m budget, Fox says 100m. The figure bandied around for a gross is 83m, but the total worldwide was more than 200m.

2) If the studio remains tight-lipped, no way to know how badly a film went over budget.

3) The biggest and most obvious missing link is the advertising budget. I've heard a figure of 50m to market Valkyrie, but that was mentioned in conjunction with the US gross of 83m leading me to believe that the film cost 50m to market to Americans alone.

TLDR: Does anyone have access to definitive figures of how much movies eat up as a project rather than just in development?