Customize

Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Theta Omega, Apr 8, 2008.

1. danaBanana Member

Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

The cult has begun sending out those infamous "Anonymous activities" letters (translated into Danish, no less!) to former members who are showing up at protests (sauce).

This Monday I sent a nice, informative letter to the Danish Data Protection Agency informing them of this (the cult keeping files on former members? Well, I never!) and we'll see what happens.

The cult was reprimanded by the DPA in 1983 for keeping too much information on their members, sued them, lost, and was reprimanded again in 1994.

I sent a request to the DPA for all their files pertaining to those reprimands, including the law suit. It's basically a FOIA-request.

Delicious sauce!

o hai page three!
  2. Anonymusic Member

quick quip for many a anon.

Hands up if you've done a stress/ personality test?

.o/ i have, and they have my name and address on record, i know this cause i still recieve spam mail from them. In the uk at least, they normally get name and address from you before or after said address, and use it to spam.

so anyone else who recive spam like this can be a part of Op:DPA, they have you on file - you can prove it, and they have to give you all details about you.

In a side note, know someone else who has had this test and given name/addy? i am unsue on llegality (as long as you dont fully claim to be the person) request their information kept on file, if they send their info to you - they are breaking the DPA trying to keep in line with the DPA (they didnt keep the info oft he other person secure from public).
  3. Accelerator Member

If disclosing the information is a criminal offence, trying to persuade the Church to disclose it may be incitement.
  4. Theta Omega Member

DON'T DO THIS. It's illegal, it won't work, and you'll only damage our case against them.
  5. Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

Definitely.

Also, we recieved another phone call here today at about 8:20 (didn't take the exact time - doh!). Came through on another persons who was out of the office and then got diverted to everyone else phone as withheld external number. My teammate picked it up and the caller hung up. This was after about 3 rings.
  6. ScudMuffin Member

get the number. Next time tell them to stop calling. record it. If they carry on after that it's harrassment.

Prohibition of harassment - Protection from Harassment act 1997.

(1) A person must not pursue a course of conduct—

a. which amounts to harassment of another, and

b. which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

(2) For the purposes of this section, the person whose course of conduct is in question ought to know that it amounts to harassment of another if a reasonable person in possession of the same information would think the course of conduct amounted to harassment of the other.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply to a course of conduct if the person who pursued it shows—

a. that it was pursued for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime,

b. that it was pursued under any enactment or rule of law or to comply with any condition or requirement imposed by any person under any enactment, or

c. that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable.

This act was specifically designed for stalkers after that Jill Dando thing. It is mis-used by many people, mainly by couples who split up and want to have ammo against each-other for civil court (eg child custody/access) proceedings. "He sent me a couple of texts calling me a bitch!! I wanna complain!"

It has generally been held that a course of conduct must be on two or more occasions, and police feel that these must be separate occasions (over the course of days or weeks, for example) for the offence to be complete.

The best thing that can be used with reference to protests is the Public Order Act 1986, specifically section 4a which states that a person commits an offence if their behaviour towards another person is threatening, abusive or insulting and causes or is likely to cause that person harassment, alarm or distress. Section 4 is the same but has an added thing where the behaviour of the offender is likely to cause fear or provocation of violence.
  7. Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

Unfortunately they were witheld numbers and while I know I can get the number from work, I don't want to draw attention to this until it's happened at least a couple more times.
  8. martinpoulter Member

Epic thread! Along with other Old Guard, I've been protesting against them since 1995 and they make no secret they have a big file about me and each of the other critics.

I've been reluctant to use the data protection angle so far because understandably I do *not* want to reveal my address. Do I get this right that I don't need to provide an address to identify myself? If not, then I'm in.

That was Allen & Overy, and their involvement was obtained by Dave Bird [R.I.P.] through the Liberty Panel. Liberty is the UK's premier civil liberties organisation and the Liberty Panel is a group of lawyers who take on cases pro bono that have a civil liberty component, and which give them the opportunity to create a civil liberties precedent.

My "History of Fair Game in the UK" may be useful for briefing authorities about the historic and ongoing harassment:

Scientology Fair Game and Harassment in the UK
  9. Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

Unfortunately you do have to reveal your address to them - they need to have enough information to identify you (information commissioner seems to indicate this would be name, address and any account numbers) and they need to have somewhere to send a reply. If you're concerned, give the information commissioner a ring and see what they suggest.

On a side note, they have until Saturday morning to get that initial reply on my front doormat. It aint turned up yet.
  10. XenuLovesU Member

ATTENTION OG

This thread is made of pure win.

Could someone in the OG cross-post a link to this thread over on OCMB (I still haven't heard back on my account request) and onto ExScn? Both sites have plenty of long-term/namefagged critics in the EU who wouldn't be putting themselves at additional risk by doing this.

I would love to see every last one of 'em send a DSAR.

Also, this seems to be a pretty well developed "think tank" project -- it would be nice to see it moved to General Discussion so it gets some more attention.
  11. Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

[SIZE="6"]I have a reply![/SIZE]

dscf3069rt0.th.jpg

WELL Scientology. I don't know if you've been keeping track of time, but you recieved the requests exactly 21 days ago today. By law, you had to tell me that you'd stopped processing any information on me or why not. THAT DOESNT APPEAR TO BE IN THIS LETTER.

Just checked one of my copies and WHOOPS I didnt include a date. Oh well - the timer goes from when it's recieved anyway.

I need to check with the information commissioner on Monday but I am 99.9999999999999% certain that they do NOT need a copy of my passport. I am thinking of the following reply

Thoughts?
  12. anon0809 Member

This sounds good, im sure that you wouldnt need to send a copy of your passport but I would double check with the information commisioner anyway. if you are successful with your claim, a, by them not replying and so they would get investigated or b, them replying and including a repressive person certificate which would provide evidence to prove that they operate fair game, then I think others should start applying for similiar. I know if they come to find out my identity then my claim will be right behind yours in the post. excellent job!
  13. Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

Yes, you were right that the demand for a certified copy of passport is bullshit (I spoke to the Office of the Information Commission this morning). They are allowed to ask for proof of ID, but to ask you to pay to certify this would be viewed as unreasonable. The OIC suggested that you send/offer to send something like a copy of the photo page of your passport and a copy of a bill which lists you address (I'd suggest you blank out any sensitive info). Understandable if you don't want to send this info - well worth a word with OIC as to what you would be able to send. Obviously, this is your personal info, so don't take my word on this - you should speak to OIC yourself.

Just my opinion, but I'd suggest you tone down your letter slightly. People breach DPA legislation, fail to meet deadlines etc., on a pretty regular basic - and if you do need to appeal to the Information Commissioner then it might look better if your correspondence with CoS didn't sound quite so pissed off quite so quickly.

Anyway, this Operation sounds like a great idea :)
  14. Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

Letter is good, but sort out your grammar. There are several grocer's apostrophes in there.
  15. Re: Euro-folks: Data Protection Laws and Lulz

Epic success is epic, however - Maybe be careful about accusations of "largest hostile infiltration of the US government in history, stalking it's critics, attempting to commit identity fraud and attempted murder of critic Paulette Cooper".

We know its true, but it isnt really needed in the letter and they will just Bawww over it and claim libel, just as you are demanding the evidence that your a neo-facistcommie.

Im tempted to take similar action. I am certain they have photos of me sans mask, doubtful they have name or address (unless they have FBI style face recognition software...) and so I might be able to antagonise them a bit here. I'll leave it for now, see the outcome of this
  16. pedrofcuk Member