Customize

Egypt: "Revolution 2.0". Progress and support.

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by exOT8Michael, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Herro Member

I'd say it was through the power of all those people in Tahrir square...
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Anonymous Member

I was gonna say lrn2socialmedia, faggot, but somehow I don't feel like trolling you on this joyous occasion.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. rof Member

nuh-uh

cybersocial mathletes just won the world cup of politics
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anonymous Member

Tahrir Square w/o social media=Tiananmen Square
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kilia Member

Peace and blessings to the Egyptian people. Well done!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Anonymous Member

brb Jeddah
    • Like Like x 2
  7. CarltonBANKS Member

I am so Tone 40 right now.

So, Mubarak trolled the world yesterday - Herro must be jealous that he has been outdone. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. CarltonBANKS Member

Yeah, the people in Tahrir square used the internets and teh Facebooks to co-ordinate, the YouTubes to film people getting murdered & injured. It helped provide an alternative to the state news outlet.

However, I'd say most of the credit has to go to No Mubarak Cat.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. This people are definitely ready for American style democracy, they are already worshiping a corporate executive (Wael Ghonim)
    4636143.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. exOT8Michael Member

12. exOT8Michael Member

I love where this is going now. Freedom will prevail.
    Anonymous delivers, and the internet rules!
    The people have spoken.

I hope Wael Ghonim gets to be part of governing, as he has a heart and real compassion.

RIP Khaled Said...you did not die in vain. xoxoxoxo Smile down from heaven.

khalidmohamedsaidbefore.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Anonymous Member

http://www.thenation.com/article/158498/how-cyber-pragmatism-brought-down-mubarak
  14. Herro Member

No, maybe Anonymous delivered moral support and a few token displays of solidarity, but beyond that Anonymous has very little to do with this. I'm not trying to belittle what people have done, but let's not get carried away. This isn't our victory, it's theirs.

Yes. Well, some of the people. Hopefully the people will all get a chance to speak in free and open elections sooner than later.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. exOT8Michael Member

Anonymous is far bigger than just Chanology.
    Many of the internet Revolution 2.0 activists are still nameless. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

The majority of people in Egypt sat at home and did nothing, a tacit vote for Mubarak.

How's that democracy working for ya now?
  17. Herro Member

If you stretch it that far you take it to the point of meaninglessness. Which is fine, but you should say people acting anonymously, not Anonymous.

I also wouldn't call this an internet Revolution. People used the internet to plan and organize and obviously that had some impact on how things played out in the end. But if you look at what is happening, it's a very familiar sequence of events. Of course the vast majority of us (myself included) never gave 2 shits about Egypt and had absolutely no clue about day to day life in the country until a few weeks ago, so it's easy for us to see this as being all so sudden. I think in general, these internet communications technologies influence how these events played out, but at the end of the day, those technologies aren't ultimately what brought people out into the streets.
  18. Herro Member

Or they were afraid of getting beaten.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. DeathHamster Member

20. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  21. exOT8Michael Member

Thanks for that link! What amazingly inspiring pictures!
    I am so happy for this breakthrough for Egypt.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. anon8109 Member

Surprised you missed this, but when did Mubarak ever say he was stepping down?
    This was probably the most gentle military coup in recent history. So gentle people don't quite realize it yet.
  23. Anonymous Member

The question is, will they un-coup themselves in September, or will they say "Elections? Oops, we completely the whole thing."
  24. Anonymous Member

We know how Cheney felt about 6398_emoticon_heart.gif Mubarak 6398_emoticon_heart.gif , but I wonder how the Bush/Cheney administration would have handled this happening while they watched.
  25. Rockyj Member

• Like Like x 4
  26. Anonymous Member

I got it! Herro is really Glen Beck!
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Rockyj Member

Mona Eltahawy's heart felt reaction:

• Like Like x 1
  28. thefatman Member

• Like Like x 1
  29. exOT8Michael Member

If you want to follow Wael Ghonim on Twitter he is at @Ghonim.
    Some Arabic, some English tweets.
  30. Rockyj Member

There are really no words to express this moment for the Egyptian people because its really THEIR MOMENT, and I can only be in awe.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. dammit
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Stickman Member

Technology may not have brought the first protesters out into the street, but the very human images and emotions being conveyed by the technology and the ability to connect to discuss the protest has made all the difference in Egypt and Tunisia. I've seen so many of these uprisings brutally repressed in the past that I have to think all the camera phones and upload links and constant attention somehow made a difference here. Also, I think it is fair to separate out peoples' actions in Egypt and the support they received worldwide, Anon can fairly claim not just to have done more than any other international group to help the populists in Tunisia and Egypt, but to have done so in a manner that can successfully be repeated elsewhere.

That's no small accomplishment, but I do agree that it does pale in comparison to the sacrifices made by the Egyptian revolutionaries. Thank Xenu those sacrifices were made known to the whole world and that Mubarak and Suleiman aren't now busy converting the national stadiums into torture/mass grave facilities, a la Pinochet.
    • Like Like x 3
  33. mojo Member

shocked an awed and inspired. are you listening, despots?
  34. "The whole world is watching"
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

36. DeathHamster Member

Generals in command in Egypt
    18 days of protest finally drive Mubarak from power; military controls transition to democracy
    By Praveen Swami And Richard Spencer, Daily Telegraph February 12, 2011
    Now if only there were some way that secular parties could organize and mobilize... Maybe someone should start a blog or a Facebook page and see if anyone can come up with any ideas?
    Who are these "some" and are they academics, politicians, cab drivers, Egyptian, Israeli, American?
  37. Anonymous Member

It's all the same people then as now. Wise up faggot.
  38. sem Member

Congratulations to Egypt and my condolences to the families of many victims. This was a difficult revolution.
  39. Anonymous Member

If it were, there would be a lot more dead Egyptians.
  40. greez Member

Very true. As being trained in such things. it's better the marines go in than any other branch. the level of dicipline is outstanding in these men.
    • Like Like x 1