Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united...-information-regarding-nsas-tao-program-6023/
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

4. Is there anything the government can or cannot do, if it is not constrained to act in favor of the people?
  5. Anonymous Member

6. PresidentShaw Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Glenn Greenwald: Growing Backlash Against NSA Spying Shows Why US Wants to Silence Edward Snowden

By Juan Gonzalez, Democracy Now!

As Congress holds its second major public hearing on the National Security Agency’s bulk spying, we speak with Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian journalist who first published whistleblower Edward Snowden’s revelations. The NSA admitted their analysis of phone records and online behavior far exceeded what it had previously disclosed.

"The fact that you now see members of both political parties increasingly angry over the fact that they were misled and lied to by top-level Obama administration officials, that the laws that they enacted in the wake of 9/11 — as broad as they were — are being incredibly distorted by secret legal interpretations approved by secret courts, really indicates exactly that Snowden’s motives to come forward with these revelations, at the expense of his liberty and even his life, were valid and compelling," Greenwald says. "If you think about whistleblowing in terms of people who expose things the government is hiding that they shouldn’t be, in order to bring about reform, I think what you’re seeing is the fruits of classic whistleblowing."

TRANSCRIPT:

Continued at
    www.truth-out.org/video/item/17671-glenn-greenwald-growing-backlash-against-nsa-spying-shows-why-us-wants-to-silence-e
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kilia Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jimbob Member

Attached Files:

12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  13. Powerful stuff.
    The court system in a democracy has a number of functions.
    These are are vital
    1 To protect individuals/minorities from the full legal power of the state.
    2 The right of individuals/minorities to seek redress from the state.
    3 The judiciary to be impartial and independent of state pressure.
    When these are bypassed or ignored
    Oh dear.
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

German Intelligence Agencies Used NSA Spying Program - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Angela Merkel and her ministers claim they first learned about the US government's comprehensive spying programs from press reports. But SPIEGEL has learned that German intelligence services themselves use one of the NSA's most valuable tools.

Germany's foreign intelligence service, the BND, and its domestic intelligence agency, the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV), used a spying program of the American National Security Agency (NSA). This is evident in secret documents from the US intelligence service that have been seen by SPIEGEL journalists. The documents show that the Office for the Protection of the Constitution was equipped with a program called XKeyScore intended to "expand their ability to support NSA as we jointly prosecute CT (counterterrorism) targets." The BND is tasked with instructing the domestic intelligence agency on how to use the program, the documents say.

According to an internal NSA presentation from 2008, the program is a productive espionage tool. Starting with the metadata -- or information about which data connections were made and when -- it is able, for instance, to retroactively reveal any terms the target person has typed into a search engine, the documents show. In addition, the system is able to receive a "full take" of all unfiltered data over a period of several days -- including, at least in part, the content of communications.

This is relevant from a German perspective, because the documents show that of the up to 500 million data connections from Germany accessed monthly by the NSA, a major part is collected with XKeyScore (for instance, around 180 million in December 2012).

Continued at
    www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-intelligence-agencies-used-nsa-spying-program-a-912173.html
    • Like Like x 2
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Encryption Works: How to Protect Your Privacy in the Age of NSA Surveillance

By Micah Lee, Freedom of the Press Foundation

The NSA is the biggest, best-funded spy agency the world has ever seen. They spend billions upon billions of dollars each year doing everything they can to vacuum up the digital communications of most humans on this planet that have access to the Internet and and the phone network. And as the recent reports in the Guardian and Washington Post show, even domestic American communications are not safe from their net.

Defending yourself against the NSA, or any other government intelligence agency, is not simple, and it's not something that can be solved just by downloading an app. But thanks to the dedicated work of civilian cryptographers and the free and open source software community, it's still possible to have privacy on the Internet, and the software to do it is freely available to everyone. This is especially important for journalists communicating with sources online.

Table of Contents
    Continued at https://pressfreedomfoundation.org/encryption-works
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

The NSA is watching, but so are stores - Yahoo!7 Finance Australia

Not long before headlines exposed National Security Agency programs that secretly collect records of Americans' phone calls, another surveillance system got far less attention: Nordstrom, the department store chain, acknowledged it was tracking customers without their knowledge in 17 stores.

Nordstrom had hired a company to log a unique number emitted by shoppers' smartphones, which automatically connected to Wi-Fi systems as they moved through the stores. Shortly after a Dallas TV station broke the story in May, Nordstrom announced it was discontinuing the program.

The company that sold the tracking service, Euclid Analytics, has tracked 50 million devices in 4,000 locations for 100 corporate and other customers, its founder has said. Shoppers are free to opt out, but the process is complex - they must enter their phone's media access control address, known as a MAC address, on Euclid's website.

<snip>

Most Americans emit a stream of personal digital exhaust - what they search for, what they buy, who they communicate with, where they are - that is captured and exploited in a largely unregulated fashion. The information can be used by identity thieves, insurance companies, prospective employers or opponents in a civil lawsuit.

"How do I express my privacy requirements? Increasingly, it means I have shut off my phone and become a digital hermit," said Ian Glazer, a vice president at Gartner Inc., an information technology research and advisory company.

In addition to privacy threats, he said, "there is a fundamental problem with fairness, in the sense that I am generating all this data about me through my devices, and these organisations are harvesting it and making a profit off it."

Google says it uses algorithms, not humans, to mine the content of Gmail messages. Thus if someone sends a digital note about an upcoming trip, the computer may generate an ad for an airline or hotel.

Amazon and other companies track online shoppers and display ads for items their customers perused as they browse other websites. Retailer Target was able to use purchasing patterns to figure out when women were pregnant and target ads accordingly.

Smartphones double as tracking devices, sending periodic signals that disclose their locations. Though the NSA says it does not collect that information about Americans, numerous popular applications, including the game "Angry Birds" and Yelp, do so for their developers, using precise coordinates from cell towers and GPS systems. Some sell the data to third parties.

Mobile carriers, including Verizon Wireless, have begun selling aggregate location data. Verizon, on its website, promises advertisers "detailed demographics; location analysis to determine where your target consumer segment lives and works; and foot-and-mobile traffic habits," though not names or phone numbers.

"These companies have been practicing what I call privacy arbitrage for the last 10 years or so, mining all of our personal information," said a former US intelligence official who now works for a data company. He asked for anonymity so he could be more candid. "I don't know to what degree the common person understands how much data is being collected about them by these Silicon Valley companies that are saving the world."

More at http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/nsa-watching-stores-025205530.html
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

18. The Wrong Guy Member

Former U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden hopes to be granted papers by Wednesday allowing him to end his month-long stay in the transit area of a Moscow airport and move to the city center, his Russian lawyer said on Monday.

Anatoly Kucherena, who helped the American file his bid for temporary asylum in Russia on July 16, said Snowden believed it would be unsafe to try to travel to Latin America soon because of U.S. efforts to return him to the United States to face espionage charges.

"He should get this certificate (allowing him to leave the airport) shortly," he said.

Snowden's bid for temporary asylum in Russia may take up to three months to process, but he can pass through customs based on the initial response to his request, Kucherena added.

More at www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/22/us-usa-security-snowden-russia-idUSBRE96L0LF20130722
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Anonymous Member

From link:
    Those interested in supporting the Amash initiative can visit Demand Progress, which has set up a petition page in anticipation of the amendment being introduced on Wednesday.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Glenn Greenwald@ggreenwald 52m
    Bipartisan House bill to DEFUND NSA bulk spying - from @repjustinamash, with John Conyers -will get vote on Wednesday
    www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/justin-amash-nsa-surveillance_n_3637462.html

Glenn Greenwald@ggreenwald 42m
    New website created to support Amash/Conyers House bill to de-fund NSA bulk spying on Americans http://defundthensa.com

kade@onekade 36m
    Tell your elected officials to support the Amash/Conyers amendment to stop blanket metadata spying:
    http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/nsa_amash/
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  22. Anonymous Member

Verizon will share your information with their" partners" and whoever the partners share with. You can opt out. The notification is new although the sharing has most likely been in place for a while. As they get searched for nsa related data sharing expect other announcements of "new" programs that you can opt out of.
  23. Anonymous Member

SO many lulzz!

Via Der Spiegel:
    He wrote on Facebook that its purpose was to undertake “joint research into the threatened habitat of NSA spies.” He added: “If we are really lucky, we might actually see a real NSA spy with our own eyes.” He suggested that those interested in coming should bring along their cameras and “flowers of all kinds to improve the appearance of the NSA spies’ habitat.”
    I can say from experience that the NSA does not in fact like it when you bring cameras to their centers. I can’t say what their attitude is towards flowers.
    … Just four days after he posted the invitation, his mobile phone rang at 7:17 a.m. It was the police calling to talk about his Facebook post…. Bangert’s doorbell rang at almost the exact same time. The police on the telephone told him to talk with the officers outside of his door. Bangert quickly put on a T-shirt — which had a picture of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden on it along with the words “Team Edward” — and answered the door….
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Anonymous Member

Bumpity bump. We can do at least this. It's easy and takes 5 minutes to email and call your congressman (they find the phone # for you).
    • Like Like x 1
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Hey kids! Learn to be “cyber smart” from the NSA’s youth page! | Ars Technica

Word searches, code games, and tips on how to behave online while surveilled.

Excerpt:

Among the NSA's tips for kids is this sage wisdom: "Be cyber courteous! It is too easy to hide behind a computer! A cyber smart person never says anything online that they wouldn’t say in person. Remember that what you write in an e-mail can usually be retrieved and shared with others, so be responsible with e-mails, chats, and online communications." Especially since those e-mails, chats, and online communications could be getting captured in real-time by one of the NSA's network taps.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...n-to-be-cyber-smart-from-the-nsas-youth-page/
    • Like Like x 2
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  27. Anonymous Member

http://cryptome.org/2013/07/gg-snowden-leak-halt.htm
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.mk.ru/&prev=
    /search%3Fq%3DMoskovsky%2BKomsomolets%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs
    %3Dowk%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Anonymous Member

29. Anonymous Member

Correspondence/Follow up email from, well:

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about recent media reports regarding U.S. government intelligence activities. I appreciate hearing from you.

I have longstanding concerns about the broad surveillance powers Congress has given intelligence agencies, including the National Security Agency (NSA). In 2001, I was one of 66 House members who voted against the Patriot Act; and, since 2007, I have consistently voted against expansions of authority under Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). I strongly believe that we can both protect our nation and uphold our critical values – and I do not believe that laws like the Patriot Act strike the correct balance between security and civil liberties. As a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, I have repeatedly raised these issues with NSA Director Keith Alexander and other senior intelligence officials.

We need greater transparency and accountability surrounding surveillance. I am a cosponsor of legislation introduced by my colleague Congressman Schiff -- the Ending Secret Law Act – to require greater disclosure of Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) opinions. Our bill would require public disclosure of FISC opinions that contain significant interpretations or construction of statutes and authorities, because I strongly believe that Americans have the right to know how surveillance authorities granted under FISA and the Patriot Act have been used. We need real national debate on this issue. While I believe greater transparency of FISC must be part of the solution, I will closely consider all other legislative proposals, including Congressman Conyers' Libert-E Act, to ensure that we provide the proper balance between security and civil liberties protection.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

Jan Schakowsky
    Member of Congress
    • Like Like x 1
  30. ^^ We have a winrar
  31. Anonymous Member

Thank you for writing me about the National Security Agency (NSA) and its electronic surveillance programs. I appreciate you contacting me about this very important issue.

I am disturbed by the NSA's mass collection of phone records from Verizon Business Network Services and its PRISM program. I firmly believe in a right to privacy and in the protections afforded by the Fourth Amendment.

As you know, these surveillance programs were carried out under the USA PATRIOT Act and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Over the past decade, I have voted against the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005, the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, the FISA Sunsets Extension Act of 2011, the PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011, the FISA Amendments Act Reauthorization of 2012, and other pieces of legislation that expanded the surveillance powers of the Executive branch.

Rest assured, I will work with my colleagues in the Senate to address these breaches of privacy and will continue to scrutinize efforts to expand the USA PATRIOT Act and the Administration's use of surveillance powers. While I am committed to providing our intelligence professionals the legitimate tools they need to make America more secure, I believe we must remain vigilant to ensure that neither legislation nor an Administration's actions strip Americans of our fundamental liberties.

The views of Washingtonians are very important to my work. I will keep your concerns in mind and I encourage you to stay in touch about the NSA and other issues. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my weekly updates at http://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pattysupdates . Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,
    Patty Murray
    United States Senator
    • Like Like x 1