Customize

Doj shutsdown gibson

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Anonymous, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Normally, people want to hack the gibson. Now we must defend gibson and other companies for fear of being shutdown by the non justice department. Recently, gibson guitars has been raided by the Doj for purchasing wood from India. The threat could rise and lead to people's instruments being confiscated as well. For more info as well as the source please view the link
  2. Anonymous Member

Easy. If the instrument was built with wood that's been bought before the law was active, they have no right and no legal basis to confiscate it. If it wasn't, it would be rightfully confiscated.

It'd be smart if Gibson published a list of serial numbers of the instruments that could possibly be affected. Not a big deal nowadays, when Computer Aided Manufacturing is standard. Could easily be done within a day or two.
  3. Retag Member

The problem is that it just isn't Gibson that could be affected by this. For example, if you have an antique guitar like a 1920s Martin guitar. You might have to prove the age of it. It could also cause problems if you have to prove what kind of wood you had and if you had it repaired, that could also cause further problems.
  4. Anonymous Member

http://www.martinguitar.com/history/dating.html
    http://home.provide.net/~cfh/martin.html
    http://turbolift.com/martin/serial.html

Seems you'd have more problems with a Ukulele - they didn't have serial numbers

About Repairs: If I order this kind of woods for instrument repairs, it comes with a certificate. Yes, that costs quite a bit more, but neither I nor any customers need to worry.
  5. xenubarb Member

It's not that easy when you're confronted by ignorant bureaucrats eager to wield their meager powers of enforcement. Musicians are leaving their old, beloved guitars at home these days out of fear of just this issue. Gibson is apparently pretty good at documenting their wood sources, which should give nobody any problems.

Except the little pea-brained bureaucrat enforcers.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

Welcome to the USSA
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

Can't you sue for damages when your instrument has been wrongly confiscated? Can't you sue for damages when your instrument has suffered while in their hands? Can't you sue for damages when you've lost some gigs over that? Little pea-brained bureaucrat enforcers might soon be ordered to hold them horses, or it might get expensive.

More like welcome to the land of the braindead, methinks...
  8. Brain dead? Yeah, if Gibson broke the law and your precious guitar gets confiscated you don't go after the bureaucrats! You go after Gibson! If there is a law in place and someone breaks it then it's not the authorities fault!
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

10. adhocrat Member

Ever think that the law itself is stupid?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous Member

Pay more attention fucktards. NO American laws were violated. That's the ONLY thing that matters about this case.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

Global laws were violated. Moral laws too. This is another case of greedy fuckbag US lawyers who need to shut the fuck up and keep the fuck out of the business of other countries.

People want to make guitars out of Indian wood, let them, it has nothing to do with some fuckball lawyer who really should attach a pipe to his tailpipe and sit in his garage all night with the engine running.

Fuck all US law if this bullshit is what it's all about now.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tree huggers would disagree.
  14. Yeah, fuck the rest of the world. US is all that matters.
  15. Anonymous Member

Gibson should move their business out of the USA and into Canada or Argentina. Then we'll see the US govt. baaawing.
  16. Anonymous Member

Gibson should move their business out of the USA and into Canada or Argentina. Then we'll see the US govt. baaawing.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

18. Fretting over nothing, glib
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

20. Anonymous Member

Who wants to go through that in the first place?
  21. Glenn Beck Member

22. Triumph Member

about 10 years ago I was In New Brunswick Canada....and was checked by US Customs at the Border returning to the US..
    I had my vintage 1947 Gibson J-45 with me..the customs agent informed me that they Could confiscate it because it was a model on thier list that had Indian Rosewood....
    ultimately they didnt...confiscate it,,,but it was touch and go....the customs agent took it inside the building...I was held there about an hour...waiting around... before the cocksuckers returned it....with a warning..

they did confiscate a Suppressive Canadian Orange...and tossed that in a bin
  23. LocalSP Member

This shit is completely ridiculous. I'll bet that Gibson was asked to make a donation to the Department of Justice Ball, they refused and now their wood is illegal. Either that or the head of the DoJ lost his first girlfriend to a Gibson guitar player.
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

https://www.change.org/petitions/th...iry-protect-consumers-and-make-lacey-act-fair
  25. lulzgasm Member

No laws were broken. ALL the wood from India was acquired legally and even PASSED CUSTOMS.
    Don't you ever do your homework before you flap your fingers all over the keyboard?
    • Like Like x 2
  26. I wasn't commenting on if the wood was legal, I was commenting on who you ge after if a law was broken.

Don't you ever READ A POST before you flap your fingers all over the keyboard?
  27. adhocrat Member

from OP link
    This is so totally absurd only a government could manage it. Some Indian law that isn't binding even on the Indians is being used to prosecute persecute a storied company.

I think the poster who thought Gibson must have pissed off some bureaucrat has got it right.

For full disclosure I play Martins, not Gibsons.
    • Like Like x 3
  28. lulzgasm Member

Well, it does help to find out if a law has been broken in the first place before deciding who to go after when a law has allegedly been broken.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Anonymous Member

Land Of The Free? LOL!!!

I'm raging over this. Even Soviet Russia never had dumb ass laws as retarded as this.

Fuck the DoJ hard. In the mouth.
  30. I will pass that on to the majority of people who have posted on this thread to remind them, thanks.
  31. Anonymous Member

NSA, are you ever going to actually contribute something to a discussion, or just BAWW your ignorant as off?
  32. Anonymous Member

33. Anonymous Member

Can we haz a list of people who have had their geetars confiscated nao?
  34. Ironic
  35. Anonymous Member

only to you, faggot
  36. LocalSP Member

I play Gibsons, Fenders and whatever happens to have 6 strings that falls into my hands but I truly love my "68" ES 335.
    Bought it from a pawn shop 25 years ago for $180.00, it's gone up a lot since I bought it, not that I'll ever sell it. The only way the DoJ will get that guitar is if they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
  37. lulzgasm Member

I knew there was something about you I liked. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Who's bawwing?
  39. adhocrat Member

All my acoustics are Martins, but I also play a Parker Fly, a Tele and a P-bass.

I have a pre war Martin I feel the same way about. I'll be buried with it. (jk)
    • Like Like x 3