Customize

Does Scientology still have its charity status?

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by choncapa, Nov 23, 2010.

1. choncapa Member

Does Scientology still have its charity status?

Anyone know if Scientology still has its charity status? I can't find anything about it. I know that if they get tested they will loose it, but have they been tested yet?
  2. RolandRB Member

Re: Does Scientology still have its charity status?

It depends what country you are talking about. In the UK they do not have charitable status but they get treated like a charity anyway and get given tax breaks. Some parts of them have charitable status in the UK such as Narconon and Criminon.
  3. Sponge Member

Re: Does Scientology still have its charity status?

You're talking about Australia I gather since you're posting in the Senator Xenophon subforum?
    Yes they do have that status there.

It's a long road ahead. The recommendations from the senate committee report for a public benefit test like the UK model (plus the call for a cult task force sorta thing) have yet to be presented as a draft bill for debate in parliament.

If by any chance you were talking about New Zealand, yes they do have charity status there and no I don't know why they do considering they have essentially the same public benefit test in their Charities Commission as it is in the UK model (the latter of which rejects scientology as a charity). There is an investigation going on by the NZCC into scientology, as reported in another thread, but I don't know any details other than the fact that someone here emailed them and that what they were told.
  4. Re: Does Scientology still have its charity status?

Just like to add. NZ and UK and Australia are all part of the Commonwealth (We were too lazy to boot the Queen out like you badass Americans). Bottom line is our countries all have agreements for Visa, Tax and possibly charity status. So all three of these countries have good reasons to standardize their approach. So hopefully all three countries are reexamining the situation together (All 3 were involved during the senate inquiry).