Customize

"Destruction of Own Property" to protest

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Anonymous, May 29, 2008.

1. Anonymous Member

"Destruction of Own Property" to protest

The "Destruction of Ones Own Property" is a protest idea referenced in a book on protest techniques i once read. This is obviously linked to the idea of "Bra-Burning" from feminist campaigns.

Could we launch a similar campaign? Burning Dianetics? Lolwut?

Not sure of the legal aspects of this since im not exactly an experienced protester.

Any Thoughts?
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: "Destruction of Own Property" to protest

Burning Hubbard's work has come up in other threads. It's been repeatedly decided that book burning, no matter how bad the books are, is bad PR. The same goes for destroying the symbols of a "religion".
  3. Anonymous Member

Problem : Buying that many copies of dianetics = giving them money

Cant be don logically, as good as the idea may be.
  4. Anonymous Member

Not sure that creates the image we want to project.
  5. Anonymous Member

Self Immolation is always a big winner aswell.
  6. Anonymous Member

Bad idea. Just too extreme.
  7. Anonymous Member

The Nazis burned book, as did extremist Christians. We don't wanna have any trails to either, no matter how stupid they would be.

To be honest the idea would be awesome if only people would understand it, however most people won't.
  8. Anonymous Member

We don't burn books. We're not a hate group.
  9. Anonymous Member

This right here if you are going to burn something chose your self.

It gets PR that we want, martyr, harcore, pathological, and puts scientology in a bad light.

NOW DO IT FAGGOT
  10. Anonymous Member

In Santa Fe, NM, since 1926, they have burned Zozobra at their fiesta. Zozobra means gloom, anxiety, or anguish in Spanish so Zozobra is referred to as Old Man Gloom. He is a huge puppet and is filled with fire crackers. Hundreds of people go to see him burn each year in September.

We could do an effigy of elron or davey and though we couldn't burn them we could tear them up. We could do a scarecrow like dummy and tear up limb by limb after beating the crap outta them. lol We would just have to be careful to clean up any mess we made.
  11. Anonymous Member

QFT
  12. Anonymous Member

Bad idea is bad. In every way.
    BTW feminist burned heir bras because bras were a symbol of oppression NOT because the lingerie was an object of personal pleasure.

However if Anons go to Burning Man, well..there you go. Disco inferno
  13. Anonymous Member

Burn books? No way.
  14. Anonymous Member

An Hero with Flames would work. No books though. Looks bad.
  15. Anonymous Member

Self Immolation - Tibetan monk stylee.

Yes you will be history...but...you will MAKE INTERNET HISTORY. Your charred remains will live forever on /b/, and Anon will resurrect you through the power of shoop.
  16. Anonymous Member

I never totally got that, Bra's were invented by a woman for the purposes of being able to not wear a corset or bustier, which were extremely painful and designed primarily to lift the bosom and slender the waist.

But i digress.

Burning in effigy? Jesus christ, fucking NOOOOOOOO. I dont think i could ever fit enough O's in that no. Seriously.

Burning books? Sweet buddha, no, FUCK. I dont think i can make that FUCK red enough.

Burning or destroying anything during a protest, especially things related to scientology? In the name of almighty Mohammed, the originator of IMAGE NOT FOUND, dont do it, faggot. I dont think there is a text size big enough to emphasize that point.
  17. Anonymous Member

QFMFT
  18. Anonymous Member

They're right, buying his books would be supporting him, and burning them would just get anon bad press. That would encourage the scilons to spout more lies about us being terrorists.
  19. Anonymous Member

I said we could NOT burn the damn effigy! But we COULD tear it up, beat it up, drag it around, whatever. Jeeeeeze.
  20. Anonymous Member

brb, being an hero
  21. Anonymous Member

I think a general rule to follow:

If the Nazi's practiced it, there's a good chance it's bad PR.

Aw shi-! Godwin's law at work!
  22. Anonymous Member

Godwins's.

</thread>
  23. Anonymous Member

Re: &quot;Destruction of Own Property&quot; to protest

budist_monk_on_fire.jpg
  24. Anonymous Member

^^^This.

Live forever on /b/

Receive resurrection through the power of shoop.

Other than that. /this retarded thread.
  25. Anonymous Member

Re: &quot;Destruction of Own Property&quot; to protest

monk-fire.jpg
  26. Anonymous Member

THIS

stupid idea is stupid
    either lock this thread, dome it or let it die, please.
  27. Anonymous Member

The difference would be that where they burn Zozobra they know what Zozobra represents. If we burned an effigy of David Miscavige a lot of people would erroneously conclude we were wishing or even threatening harm to DM -- and those who didn't conclude it themselves would certainly have Scilons trying to push them towards that conclusion.
  28. Anonymous Member

Burning books = bad idea.

Burning effigies = bad idea.

But you know what might work... burning SP declares.

That's much more like the "bra burnings" with which this thread started -- what is being burned is the instrument of oppression, and seeing single pieces of goldenrod paper being burned with great ceremony is much more likely to get the message across.
  29. Anonymous Member

Wahey!!!! A sensible idea ITT.

Burn the fair game policy too.
  30. Anonymous Member

but the fair game policy is not goldenrod :(
  31. Anonymous Member

WTF???? you want a colour co-ordinated barbecue? ;-)
  32. Anonymous Member

Little Davie's head as a pinata? He slaps his staff around, candy don't spill out of their heads. I don't like that image much, either.

^^ destroying the SP declare.

Might try extending the sidewalk-chalk thing. Get some artistic Anons to make an illuminated incident II or something cool with Xenu on it. Film the Scifags defacing it.
  33. Anonymous Member

You know, originally I was very iffy about the subject of the thread. But with the idea of burning SP declares (full disclosure: that was my suggestion) I think it could be full of win. Fire is very theatrical and attention-getting; we could possibly make it even more so. Do we have anyone with stage magic experience? Imagine how cool it would be to have a series of goldenrod papers being dropped onto an open flame and each one going up in a flame of a different color, etc.
  34. Anonymous Member

Man, how many times do I have to say this??? I said in my post about Zozobra that we could NOT burn the effigy but we could like tear it up, etc.

But I like burning the SP declares a lot. lol
  35. Anonymous Member

Become one.
  36. Anonymous Member

Destroying anything Scidong-related will make us seem like a hate group and allow the CoS to draw comparisons between us and actual hate groups.

And think what the public will think of this if they see it - they'll see us as destructive. If they see us burning books they'll see us as trying to stop free speech, and if we destroy an effigy or Hubbard they'll see us as hateful towards individuals rather than critical towards an organisation. We want to end abuse and ignorance, not incite violence, and no matter which way you look at it, destroying an effigy of someone is violent.
  37. Anonymous Member

Although burning SP declares is a good idea - we would have to make it clear what we are doing though. We will need to make it completely clear to ANYONE who sees us what SP declares are, what an SP is, that the things we are burning are SP declares, and that we are expressing our disgust in the CoS's practices of disconnecting from and harassing SPs, not burning any Scilon scripture or anything like that.

It has the potential to be a footbullet, but if thought out well and done perfectly it will be very powerful and full of WIN.
  38. Anonymous Member

Fuck no.

Lemme repeat that..

FUCK NO

Looks very violent, huge image problem. Try and explain to people that you are peaceful after you do something stupid and full of fail and aids as that.
  39. Anonymous Member

I'd consider myself a burner in all but location (ie I'm on the wrong damn side of the world :sad:) so I get the cleansing/releasing idea of burning.

I just don't think it's something we could easily bring across to the public.

Plus there's fire safety issues, location might be a problem, and there's always going to be at least one asshole, Anon or not, who can't resist the urge to throw unsuitable shit on the fire.
  40. Anonymous Member

Burning things is bad.

Anyone who wants to burn things: NO.