Customize

DERAIL - Curiosity on Mars. AMERICA, FUCK YEAH. DERAIL!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Internetzin, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Ah. Sorry. I would only change that to the greatness that was America. The Constitution is a very progressive document. It's a shame it's been coopted by those who would destroy its intent. Seriously, why haven't Thomas and Alito been impeached yet?
  2. Anonymous Member

Was. You are right, of course.

My disagreement would be more along the lines of "why do 9 people get to decide right and wrong for 300M people?" That negates the individual conscience. They aren't wise enough to know what is right and wrong, and since the Constitution can't defend itself, it will tend to say what the current powers want it to say.
    That's a prescription for disaster.

The way to counter that is to stand up to the tyranny, but we've been indoctrinated into a different way of looking at the world.

Think jury nullification. The fastest way to get kicked off a jury is to mention the perfectly valid legal theory called jury nullification. If you don't know, this is when the people tell the DA and legislature to fuck themselves.

That is a great mechanism for the people to let their elected officials know when they are overstepping their bounds.

In the 1840s I hear it was standard for the JUDGE to tell the jury about this option. Of course, now, in pretty near all US jurisdictions, if you talk about it, boom, you're gone.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Herro Member

So having 9 men and women who have spent most of their adult lives studying and practicing law making these decisions is bad but having 12 random brain dead fucks making these decisions is good? Makes perfect sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. It depends on who those 9 men and women are, and who those 12 jurors and alternates are. That august body has made this nation better through decisions like Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, KS, and Roe v. Wade, and worse through decisions like Dred Scott and Citizens United. "Educated" does not necessarily mean "good" or "wise". In fact, plenty of educated people are actively malevolent, or at least dumb in other ways.
  5. Anonymous Member

SCOTUS said that the draft is legal.
    That's all I need to know about the court to know that all that study and experience and they still said that kidnapping (the draft) is legal, that blacks are not as good as whites and that a man growing wheat on his farm for his own use is engaging in interstate commerce.
    Oh, they also say that if you are a union member, you can legally beat people up.

That's what SOCTUS gets you. Learned stupidity. Actually, I'll restate that. SCOTUS is legal cover for the violence of the state.

So I say again, having nine people decide for all people for all time is the antithesis of legal, moral and right.
    So, yeah, I'd take my chances with the mistakes from a jury over the institutional violence of SCOTUS any day. The jury mistakes are not binding on 300M people. SCOTUS mistakes are.
  6. Dox or GTFO. It was violence by the "job creators" against union organizers, people who had organized to address legitimate grievances, that led FDR to get involved in the Timber Workers' strike of 1935. Institutional violence? You're completely unhinged.
  7. Herro Member

I was only having fun pointing out the logical inconsistency.
  8. Sometimes, I watch recordings of the miniseries Mars Rising because the state of NASA depresses the hell out of me. Then I roll up a fatty and light a bud.
  9. Anonymous Member

Fuck Mars. The money spent on this could have corrected all the grave errors of US foreign policy, given every man woman and child in Haiti, Rwanda, Somalia, and most of South America a house & enough land to feed themselves for 20 years.

I fucking love space exploration but let's think about fixing our own bloody planet before celebrating some robot landing on the red planet.
  10. Anonymous Member

There is enough money to go round, just the ones in power in the countries you mention either use it for personal gratification or to fund their power.
  11. failboat Member

Dox or GTFO

The cost of all of the "grave errors of US foreign policy," would be into the trillions.
  12. Anonymous Member

Fuck you too. The dollars are put in place for puppet dictators trained at Fort Benning to hand back to the CIA via backdoor grants and contracts.

Fuck US charity, it means shit. Rape a continent and push PR charity.

Just like a stinking scilon.
  13. Just to say allot of money for war could have been given for a better future,Allot of money on space could have made other lives better like the poor and shizzle.
    But still..its happened its happened..U.S.A and everything is taken by corrupt people..nuthin' can be fixed,or atlest..we cant fix it ourselves...