Customize

Debunking Applied Scholastics Research & Results Papers

Discussion in 'CoS Front Groups' started by AnonLover, May 25, 2010.

1. AnonLover Member

Debunking Applied Scholastics Research & Results Papers

I'm working on finishing up an almighty Applied Scholastics info pack to address the issue of ASI getting government funding for SES Providers under the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) act. (see http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-...ed-scholastics-your-public-schools-now-53403/)

And with the way the SES Provider regulations work, they need to meet loosely defined criteria for offering a research-based program, and SES Providers are often monitored for meeting results-based criteria in states that have stiffer regulations applied to the basic NCLB rules.

Their propaganda addressing research-based & results-based stipulations is indexed on the Applied Scholastics website on the following link:

SCILON SITE - PROXY UP
    Papers by Educators - Applied Scholastics
    ^^Theres a waft of papers up in there, all of which stink of the usual cult propaganda spin. And these dox are mostly from 2004-05 and just begging to be ripped apart & debunked.

Copies of the whole set of articles mirrored here: ASIpapers.zip

HALP wanted from my fellow research fags and googlefu artists to come up with a list of bogus info & false claims included in these dox, so i can summarize a few key points in my info pack.
  2. AnonLover Member

Re: Debunking Applied Scholastics Research & Results Papers

From the "Observations by Educators" section of the AS Papers,

SCILON SITE - PROXY UP
    Papers by Educators - Applied Scholastics

the following list of people are their so-called experts that allow the cult to use their name in support of ASI infiltration in our school systems.

quite the ^^smorgasboard of expert opinions... i wonder how many are scilons themselves.
  3. TrevAnon Member

4. RightOn Member

thanks for this
  5. Anonymous Member

Katherine Scarfe Beckett is a Scientologist in the UK.

PhD in Sociology from Cambridge (same as Lady Hort^)

Wrote book in 2003 Anglo-Saxon Perceptions of an Islamic World "Katherine Scarfe Beckett is concerned with representations of the Islamic world in Anglo-Saxon England. Using a variety of literary, historical and archaeological evidence, Beckett argues that the first perceptions of Arabs, Ismaelites and Saracens were derived from Christian exegesis. These perceptions preconditioned Western expressions of hostility and superiority towards peoples of the Islamic world, and these received ideas prevailed over actual experience. "

Record of CoS courses I could find:

State of Man Congress - 2000 on Freewinds
    TRS AND OBJECTIVES CO-AUDIT COURSE - 7/1/2005

Clemency Scarfe-Beckett and Jenny Scarfe-Beckett are also Scientologists, and I assume are related due to unusual hyphenated surname.

I find nothing on line which indicates expertise and/or interest in learning theories or techniques.
  6. Anonymous Member

David Kaup, also a Scientologist, is a mathematics professor at the University of Central Florida and also is affiliated with the Institute for Simulation and Training (which is under the UCF umbrella).

He is an OTVIII and has one of those I AM SCIENTOLOGIST AND I LUVZ IT websites.
  7. RightOn Member

nice.
    The "endorsers" of AP do not to have any real expertise? where have I heard this before? lol
    It's ridiculous that the bozos who allow AP to tutor and such don't look beyond their own noses to check to see if what they are funding is on the up and up.
  8. Anonymous Member

It's one thing to attack the writers of the articles as being biased/Scientologists/stupid, but the articles themselves needs to be debunked. Go, go, GO!
  9. Anonymous Member

I know. That takes a little more time, however. Working on it...
  10. AnonLover Member

<3 u so much it hurts, u glorious bastards!! keep infos coming plox!
  11. RightOn Member

"1975-- Wilson (Kaup), Shirley various Shirley Wilson, ex-wife of David J. Kaup reports suicide attempt (1977), disruption of family (1978), and denial of needed orthodonic treatment to her daughter (1982)."

same person?
    Scientology & Suicide

guess he worked at 2 colleges?

David J. Kaup
    Joint Professor of Mathematics, Computer Science, and Physics
    Clarkson University
    Potsdam, N.Y

http://www.studytech.org/1997/10/education_weekletters_to_the_e.php
  12. Anonymous Member

You're right. However, in order for an article to be completely debunked, its source must be spotlighted for conflicts of interest, backgrounds which provide no true authority on the subject, etc. So, both are needed.
  13. Anonymous Member

Could someone post the articles in question on this thread so we don't all have to proxy up to get them? Pretty please?
  14. AnonLover Member

So we haz a whole panel of scilon experts promoting scilon infiltration in our schools. No surprises there.

ADDing crossref to each person's dox from the ASIpapers.zip collection of [STRIKE]research papers[/STRIKE]propaganda dox
  15. AnonLover Member

already done, immediately above AND in OP
  16. Anonymous Member

Rubik Atamian is an Assistant Professor of ACCOUNTING at the University of Texas-Pan American so yeah, he'd be well-qualified to wax poetic about Applied Scholastics. NOT.

He's a Scilon, too.

Click on the "cv" link under his picture, and you'll have his entire curriculum vitae. His entire portfolio of "teaching"? Accounting Quantitative Method and Fund Accounting

His only reward is being listed in "Who's Who Among American Teachers" which is a scam to get nominees to buy the book. It's not an award at all, and for someone with a Ph.D., it's embarrassing he'd list it AND that it's the only award he's ever received.
  17. Anonymous Member

Oh, thanks! I didn't see them.
  18. Re: Debunking Applied Scholastics Research & Results Papers

Quote:
    "Research & Results Papers

At Applied Scholastics International, we know that Study Technology is THE SOLUTION to virtually every learning problem students face ......"

Well, now that everything has been discovered in the field of how humans learn, I guess we can now stop any and all WOG research in this matter and close all the universities and teachers colleges.
  19. RightOn Member

Kaup left this comment for Hubbards Study Skills for Life

"Study Skills for Life is best described as a method for learning any subject." -- David J. Kaup - Professor, Clarkson University

also these 2:

"I urge you to learn more about Mr. Hubbard's study methods as contained in his books." -- Bonnie E. Paull - Professor Emeritus - College of Alameda

"This is a product every educator wants." -- Vicki Gordon, M.Ed. - Special Education Teacher - L.A. Unified School District
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Study-Skills-Life-Ron-Hubbard/dp/1584600039]Amazon.com: Study Skills for Life (9781584600039): L. Ron Hubbard: Books[/ame]

Vicki Gordon COS complettions

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/stats-name-search.html?searchname=Vicki Gordon

Bonnie Paull COS completeions
    http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/b/bonnie-e.-paull.html
  20. Anonymous Member

Bonnie Paull is OTVIII
  21. Anonymous Member

Vicki Gordon is also a cult member.
  22. Anonymous Member

23. RightOn Member

24. Anonymous Member

25. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice work.
  26. AnonLover Member

The Academanon secter has been alerted, I'm told pro skillz halp that wishes to remain under the radar is on the way. but we need to have sum patience till SCHOOLS CLOSED and the semester ends.

Here's the prioritized list of dox that should be ripped to shreds, in order of importance.
    We got one volunteer scholastic type brain working on the first set, any other acedemanons who want to halp out should perhaps start with the 2nd set... and post word ITT or via PMs so we can coordinate who's digging into which ones.
  27. Anonymous Member

28. Anonymous Member

Oh man, I can't wait to see you 'tards try and go toe to toe with academic papers authored by people with doctorates from the likes of Cambridge.
  29. Ann O'Nymous Member

The good thing is that it is not the academic title that make the quality of the paper.
  30. RightOn Member

don't forget summer school and summer tutoring
  31. RightOn Member

<3
  32. Anonymous Member

I realized that none of these papers are peer reviewed academic papers, with some being "letters of recommendation." Maybe you 'tards do have the capacity to debunk this stuff. Maybe. It's certainly worth the effort.
  33. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Love,

a 'tard
  34. adhocrat Member

Precisely. These papers have nothing to do with research or science, only with opinion. They are not random studies, they use no useful statistics, no hypothesis, no controls, no methodology no peer review and no section telling what problems the study has.

Why the Government would accept this as useful is the real puzzle
  35. AnonLover Member

quality - ha ha... this stuff is 91% puff pieces guise. and its dated puff pieces to boot. lots of hot air, little substance.

Update on the new name for one of the key essays, I'm told that Caroline Kyhl is now known by Caroline Kyhl-Boswell
  36. Anonymous Member

Here's an old joke from Medical School:

Q. Do you know what we call our D students?

A. Doctor.
  37. Anonymous Member

That may simply be nature's abhorrence of a vacuum...
  38. Uncle Remus Member

Beautiful work to watch.
  39. Anonymous Member

I'm the guy who jumped the gun and made the 'tard comment. I just wanted to follow up and say I totally agree with your points. Clearly Applied Scholastics or whatever the fuck they're calling it these days is not supported by anything reputable and these papers aren't even providing unreputable information, just opinion and endorsements. Whole lotta bullshit, as expected when it comes to scientology front groups.
  40. Anonymous Member

College Background:

Yes. Same person. As a student (BS & Masters) he workded at the Univ. of Oklahoma. Worked at Univ. of Maryland while getting his Ph.D. (Phyics) Worked for Clarkson College (private) (which becaame Clarkson Univ.) Potsdam, N.Y. from 1967 until about 1999. He's been at UCF since then.

How Kaup Was Hooked:

Was in New York City in 1974 for a Physics Conference. An attracctive female Ronbot approached him on the street and invited him to a "free" party and lecture on "communication". Got hooked on Ron's con quickly and has been an OT 8 and a contributor to IAS for many years.

Gave his elder daugher a "cruise" on the Freewinds (another story) as a college graduation present.

Gave his younger daughter a dictionary for high school graduation. Nothing for college graduation. Refused to active a free tuition swap for the private college of her choice because she wouldn't live with him and go to the college of HIS choice.

He's also batshit crazy about the "evil psychs".

Kaup is heading a study of crowd behavior under panic and non-panic conditions....How interesting. Wonder if it includes "beliefs" and political affiliations. IMO, they contribue greatly to crowd protests and/or riots.

David Kaup