Customize

DDOS Situation

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Anonymous, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Re: DDOS Situation

There is an additional cost to activate the service when a DDoS occurs.
  2. Bluebell Member

Re: DDOS Situation

So whats the point in having the ddos protection then, since it seems the WWP Mods and Admins are not bothering to use it?
  3. Re: DDOS Situation

Your administrators, i.e. da5id and sue, have discussed DDoS contingencies including the use of the mitigation service, but for obvious reason the details of this plan can't be made public.

Neither of the recent attacks have warranted the use of the service.
  4. Anonymous Member

Because it is seriously... yes, very seriously, expensive. Much much more so than Ramen. We're operating in an environment where the occasional skiddie attack can be considered a given. It's great that there are those who have volunteered to help out with financing the cost of DDoS mitigation but those steps really should be considered only as a last resort.
  5. Anonymous Member

You going to pay for it?

Has it crossed your mind that nobody on the WWP staff is paid for what they do? Maybe you're willing to spend every waking moment of your life babysitting a bunch of petulant children for nothing, but that doesn't mean the staff is of the same persuasion.

Are you going to pay for it?
  6. Miranda Member

People tend to get uneasy when they don't have information--but please rest assured that if there is reason for great concern, you'll be informed. As far as I know there's no realistic need for anxiety at this point and no reason to assume CoS is involved.

Please keep in mind that as the anonymous poster mentioned (thank you), we are not paid so can't all be online at once. That the site is back online indicates the admins are doing their job. I'm sure that as useful information becomes available, it will be shared as appropriate.

Personally, although I sympathize with those who are concerned I don't feel the need for more information as long as we're functioning. The admins will use good judgment. I'm sure they're aware of the questions and will respond if and when it's appropriate to do so.
  7. anonamus Member

My comments in blue.
  8. Anonymous Member

I like it when WWP occasionally goes down down for a day or two (if it doesn't happen too often), because it shows how important decentralized and local sites are. Seriously, Anonmous is proud of it's diversity, but when their centralized heart skips a beat, all hell breaks loose? Something's wrong with that concept.

I GTFO now.
  9. anonamus Member

No, don't GTFO yet. I think it's a valid point. But I fail to see how decentralization could be implemented technically when an internet site depends on one ISP/host.
    If I can't connect to WWP's servers, there's nothing much to do -unless the relay nameservers somehow can say"oh, the IP address is down, let's try this one mirror server instead.."
  10. Anonymous Member

In almost any network, no matter how decentralized, some nodes will be more important than others. Just the nature of the beast.
  11. Anonymous Member

I don't know where you live, but in my country there are at least 5 different local sites that I have bookmarked; 3 of them on different hosts, and there are some international sites as well. So if one goes down, I still have others to choose from. The information flow may become a little slower if a major site goes down, but that's it.

So it isn't a technical problem, it's a personal one when you solely rely on one source of information and communication. If it goes down, you're fucked.
  12. Anonymous Member

YES; that's why fallback nodes are important. Remember when Pakistan totally cut off Europe from the rest of the internet for several hours? Taught me a lesson, but maybe that's just me.
  13. Anonymous Member

Did anyone find all the comments posted by LegionAreWe on other youtube users videos in the few hours before the DDOS to see which one was pissed off enough to DDOS us?
  14. Anonymous Member

Think like OSA: if you knew someone on youtube that could DDOS wwp, how hard would it be to impersonate wwp as a LegionAreWe then post comments on their channel page to trick them into attacking wwp?

They've put much more effort than this into exactly these tactics in the past, think Operation PC Freakout, etc.
  15. exOT8Michael Member

I doubt that OSA would DDOS directly at any time.
    They would, if they wanted WWP down, hire folks who could do a DDOS indirectly. They are sneaky like that.
    However, as mods are saying/implying it may be just rogue intertube users.

Personally, I think it was a blind attack by this user...

180pxenglishangora.jpg
  16. Anonymous Member

Regarding the cost of the ddos mitigation: Yes, there has been a WWP user who is contributing significantly toward the cost, and for that support, WWP receives regular daily ddos protection but only up to a point. There was no ddos mitigation in place before the donor stepped forward.

When the ddos hits a certain level (and I'm intentionally leaving details out of this post), another layer of ddos protection is required above and beyond what the donor is paying for. That level of protection is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the day-to-day ddos mitigation (which is not cheap to begin with). By significantly more expensive, I mean fucking really fucking expensive.

It is likely that we have experienced smaller ddos attacks that would have slowed down or taken the sight off line were it not for the current ddos mitigation service being provided by the anonymous donor. You just never noticed since the protection is in place.

If/when the extra level of protection is needed/used is a decision left to the admins who have a plan for such occurrences. Trust them to make that decision cautiously and do so in the best interest of the site, its user base and the public. Bigger picture thinking is needed here. There will be times when we may have to deal with going down for a day or so...so we can be sure to be up and running when it REALLY matters most.
  17. Anonymous Member

Maybe it was the cast of Hackers, finally getting even for the laughter.
  18. eddieVroom Member

I imagine we can tolerate loss of one system for a day or two unless something's really cooking.
  19. Re: DDOS Situation

pretty much.

When I said contingency plan, I overstated the concreteness. It's more like they have discussed contingencies of when to and when not to use the mitigation service.
  20. Re: DDOS Situation

I've got an idea. Why don't we bring back the lulz and stop being the cancer that is killing /a/
  21. Anonymous Member

^^^ THIS
  22. anonymous612 Member

Not decentralizing one site, decentralizing the anons. Which we have. Many if not most of the active cells have their own websites...Anonymous: Still Alive | Anonymous vs. Scientology Two Years In wouldn't need to be around if they didn't.
  23. Kilia Member

I see that we have not moved on. *sigh*
  24. Re: DDOS Situation

You think that infraction was hilarious...wait until you see this...

25. Anonymous Member

stop bawwww

lrn2handlddos

and the admins doing it fine
  26. Re: DDOS Situation

Please give us a link about this.
  27. Anonymous Member

28. Anonymous Member

29. Z3RO Member

You_mad_grimace.jpg
  30. Anonymous Member

2djrmaa.jpg
  31. Z3RO Member

lol-he-mad1.jpg
  32. Kilia Member

33. Anonymous Member

mad-men.jpg
  34. Z3RO Member

[IMG]
  35. Anonymous Member

implied-facepalm.jpg
  36. Anonymous Member

37. FreakE420 Member

wtf?
  38. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Guess WWP rides again after yet another DDOS attack!
  39. kissyfur Member

y'all are killing me

KILLING ME!!!