Customize

DDOS Situation

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Anonymous, Aug 22, 2010.

1. DeathHamster Member

Re: DDOS Situation

Dox.

Note: I'm not asking you to prove a negative here. You're making an absolute statement that it wasn't Scientology. Does that mean that you know everyone involved, who influenced them, and their real motivations?

Perhaps you meant "There is currently no evidence that I've seen that Scientology was involved"?
  2. Re: DDOS Situation

R U Sirius?
  3. DeathHamster Member

I'm always shocked/amazed that people will believe anything posted on IRC. Authoritatively, it ranks under the tabloids during silly season and just over a faxed signature.
  4. DeathHamster Member

Yep. Tired of blanket statements that "It wasn't Scientology".
  5. Re: DDOS Situation

Well, if there's one thing I've learned since arriving @ [STRIKE]Enturbulation.org[/STRIKE] WhyWeProtest.net, it's "DON'T QUESTION RUFUS T. MACFIREFLY........EVAR!!!"

He's sorta like the L. Ron Hubbard of WWP...

Or maybe just the Sylvia Stanard...?
  6. Kilia Member

Whatever, the deed has been done..time to move on.
  7. Re: DDOS Situation

We need better DDOS protection than we've got.
  8. Anonymous Member

The hallmark of a paranoid conspiracy theory is that it aggrandizes the believer. It's not impossible that Scientology had a hand in the DDOS, but assuming they did gives both them and us more credit than either deserves.
  9. Anonymous Member

Thats funny. Well, it is a deep subject, let's not fall into it.
  10. Anonymous Member

So what do we do when we get DDOS'd again?
  11. ZeroC Member

head%20in%20the%20sand.jpg

inb4RTMinfraction
  12. Anonymous Member

I figure if it was the cult, they'd have paid some russian botmaster to do it - and it would have run for a lot longer (why not?).

Lol - perhaps they've rented 'idle' time so WWP gets hit whenever they haven't got any 'real work' on, like shaking down UK bookmakers etc.

My hat makes pretty sparks when I put it in the microwave ... :cool:
  13. Re: DDOS Situation

If it's the cult they do it at weekends because they want us to blame someone else.
  14. TorontosRoot Member

Glad we are back.

Planning on a weekend flash raid got flucked up, maybe sometime during the week...
  15. Anonymous Member

Just out of curiosity, how much do we know about the scilon systems, other than that their P.R. Bullshit servers are behind Proxlexic? Has anyone compiled a technical briefing pack with network maps, port scan dumps, etc? Or are we just hax0ring with black faxes and pizza orders?
  16. Anonymous Member

Welcome to two years ago.
  17. Re: DDOS Situation

See:
    where I reference this:
    But it's the truth.

The DDoS protection has to be activated. If the administrators determine that it is necessary to activate it (and it isn't always necessary for every DDoS), then they call our host to turn it on. Our administrators sometimes have better things to do than to spend their Saturday obsessively refreshing a website unlike some people.
  18. Anonymous Member

See vvvvv

ddoseta.gif
  19. Re: DDOS Situation

<web_user[some number I can't read> Gah, down again (for maintence I hope)
    <MR^E> It wasn't us.

as in they didn't resume ddos, the site was down for other reasons after that.
  20. Anonymous Member

Nope - I'd have to see the second-by-second timing for those two comments, but that not the impression I got. (I can't deny the possibility that you're right, but at the time, it seemed very much like an admission of 'game over')
  21. Re: DDOS Situation

The fact that MR^E/Z3RO and his cohorts were randomly in the channel when the DDoS started and when it ended is a coincidence?
  22. anonakatie Member

I think the point being made is even though that may well be true, it is perhaps slightly precipitous to say, absolutely, that Scientology has nothing to do with it.
  23. Anonymous Member

If they were there at the moment it started, I'd be fairly convinced. Being there when it ended doesn't mean much if they were trying to claim credit for something they didn't do.
  24. Re: DDOS Situation

they were there exactly when it started and they were the first to point it out.
  25. Re: DDOS Situation

At what point do you apply Occam's Razor?
  26. Re: DDOS Situation

The evidence is damning, indeed!!

Also, Rufus, I miss your signature...

Reminds me of something else I've read in some distant place, at some distant time...

Please bring sexy back....
  27. anonamus Member

Boy, to me you make it sound as if WWP is of no particular importance at all!
    Don't forget the co$ policy in KSW: "It's not a cute little game we're playing here blabla." The cult ARE taking the shit DEAD seriously! I think a lot of anons are very serious too, just adding a sound portion of lulz + brainz, which is great IMO.
    Has it crossed your mind that for many anons, weekend maybe is the most convenient time to engage in WWP activities, because they have a busy life in the workdays?
    I know It's not free to have monitored hosting. But some fora are set up with a free part + a pay-for part, if you want access to all the goodies. I wouldn't mind paying something reasonable to make sure this place is UP 24/7/365.
  28. Anonymous Member

1189106133626.jpg
  29. Anonymous Member

Fair enough then. Also [22:10] is NZ time for roughly when it kicked off IIRC - and he's from down this way somewhere - but I can't equate that to whatever the timezone was from the IRC log. Then again, I'm a bit pissed and thinking is hard.
  30. Re: DDOS Situation

I said that with intentional irony. You can usually find me logged in here about 12 hours a day.

The cost to keep the site up during a DDoS is quite a lot more than "something reasonable." I've been asked not to share specifics, but suffice to say it is costly enough that other avenues of ending a DDoS are to be considered first. Such as waiting until the skiddies get bored or "negotiating" a "cease fire."
  31. Re: DDOS Situation

Would you say the time the site was down would correspond to someone in New Zealand starting the DDoS then leaving it over night?
  32. Anonymous Member

More than overnight - if it started at 22:10 NZST - normally from here backups kick off at around 22:30, which fits with the IRC comments of going down for maint 'about now' at [14:01:22] in Helsinki or Baghdad or somewhere.

It ended at ~22:25 NZST the next day, just before I grabbed that screencap (I have to fucking get a proper IRC client) - in any case it went to normal backup within a few minutes of coming back up.

I think a little over 24 hours in total.

Also, wearing multiple layers of aluminium, there is this: New Zealand botnet master walks free
  33. Re: DDOS Situation

Block individual users from WWP and WWP is then blocked from many individual users.

Weird how that works, eh?

Nightmate....

lol
  34. Anonymous Member

So there are exceptions. I don't think the principle allows to exclude less simple explanations. In particular when it is possible that a cover is used or somebody acts through third parties. I agree that it is fairly unlikely that Scientology is involved, but I also agree that it's not impossible.
  35. Anonymous Member

lol@infraction
  36. Anonymous Member

it is fairly well known and accepted that during the 90s Scientology used to rent botnets to shut down website who were disclosing their secret doctrines. Now I don't know if they are still doing it, but I know they use to.
  37. Re: DDOS Situation

Most people would say a DDoS that keeps us offline at weekend when people want to access us is serious and our host should be asked to turn DDoS protection on.
  38. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I am going to agree with Rufus... I doubt this was caused by Scientology.

I say this because to me it doesn't fit Scientology's modus operandi. Granted, they believe in "always attack, never defend", but if they wanted to do harm - Why not do what they normally do? Get some legal action or some BS like that? A DDoS attack isn't something an elementary kid could do. IF Scientology was behind this, wouldn't they be more sophisticated than this? Yeah, they may have done this in the past, but didn't they get into trouble over it?

I don't know the answers to be honest, but if the mods say "It wasn't the Scilons", I am going to agree with them and not reach for a tinfoil hat. They know the inter workings far better than I do.
  39. Re: DDOS Situation

To which I would respond with Donations - Why We Protest

The amount of money required to activate DDoS mitigation is substantial.
  40. Bluebell Member

To that I say wasn't there someone that came forward to pay for ddos protection?