Customize

"Das System Scientology"

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Apr 27, 2008.

1. indeedindeed Member

"Das System Scientology"

http://www.stmi.bayern.de/imperia/md/content/stmi/service/publikationen/das_system_scientology.pdf

A translation of this brochure has been requested and is in progress.

old update: pages 55..59 snejsnej #5
    new update: TrevAnon has completed an automatic translation and gone over it (as far as the untranslated parts are concerned it may be read at #75) and now several people are producing a brochure and improving the translation, which is being checked by other users.
    Current situation -at the time of this update- is: there exists a first draft for all 25 questions and drafts that have been looked at one time for the first 20 questions (see link in posting #69 by brisanonb for a document containing the first 14). There are also a lot of original english quotes available now, see page 5.

See google document created by brisanonb here: The Scientology System
    The original document consists of 82 pages, consisting of five parts and an appendix. The first part are the 25 questions with answers on 53 pages. The second part is titled "What the state is doing against Scientology", the third "How to protect yourself against Scientology", the fourth "Who can help" and the fifth is titled "publications on Scientology". The appendix lists the sources.

The translation is unofficial.
  2. anon0004 Member

Re: "Das System Scientology"

I´do it but I don´t thik I can translate all 82 pages in less than a week, so is there someoneI can share this with?
  3. indeedindeed Member

great, thanks. I suggest you just start, 82 pages in one week really is unrealistic and any page is good. i suggest everyone who does a part makes an announcement here what part he/she is taking on now, so the rest can see what remains to be translated.
    I'm ready to have a look at drafts. Maybe in a week or so i will be ready to translate part of it, too. But we still need moar support.
  4. Fleischmann Member

Well, I'd like to try my hand as well..Good thing we have the 1st of May coming up, thus a lot of free time to use for this. :)
  5. snejsnej Member

If no one minds, I can start translating from page 55... I'll try to get to page 59 asap. What's the cut-off we're aiming for?
  6. Himbeertoni Member

i didn´t even have time to continue with the N24 Interview and this week no chance i ain´t got time atm. Next week i can help you even if like mentioned before i´m no professional translator or something!
  7. Fleischmann Member

Don't worry, neither am I (as you can see with "Richard's Scientology Story" ;) ).
    But damn, I really need to learn how to decently manage my time and shit..:hmm:
  8. Knut Member

K, would like to chip in some pages for a start, where are you guys atm? I have downloaded the .pdf from Bayern and wantedt to read it anyway, might aswell translate along. Which pages are not taken yet?
  9. indeedindeed Member

according to this thread all are free for the taking except for 55..59
    any translation help would be greatly appreciated as there really remains a lot to be translated with regards to different texts.
  10. An0n1nNZ Member

I have *started* making an English version of this (as a website), firstly doing a rough translation using GoogleTranslate, and now working through it line by line.
    Little progress has been made so far, however I now have someone else going through the text for me as well.

The way I have produced this is to make each 'Question' a post in a blog (an easy way to create a page that allows Comments as well), tailoring the blog-template so it will make a cohesive website (hopefully!)

This may be an effective way to share the work, since it is set up for editing already, and the job is easily broken into smaller tasks. Currently the Blog is available for authors-only, but if anyone wanted to help I could add them as well ... any takers? :)
  11. indeedindeed Member

thanks a lot, nice approach/idea, looks like a lot of work. I may be available later (aka weeks probably), but this may take some time as I still got other things to translate and haven't got that much time atm.
    If noone offers him- or herself for this -which i hope won't happen- another possibility may be to post part after part of the google-translated stuff here so people could post their suggestions for correction here. Depending how understandable the google translated stuff is, it may also make sense to post it in the english section (text composition) because if its just about reformulating there isn't even a need to understand german. Depends on the linguistic quality of google translate.
    If its not a problem you could also post the web-adress of the blog so people could see what is there and then post suggestions for corrections e.g. here without a need for edit-access.
  12. TrevAnon Member

I made an English version of the doc by first using Babel Fish, and after that using my analytical mind... Certainly not perfect, good enough for English anons to get a grasp of what's in the document. But I'm new here. How do I post this doc to someone for quality review?
  13. TrevAnon Member

Found it! Sorry for posting twice.
  14. TrevAnon Member

I also sent the doc elsewhere and they told me they couldn't open it as it was protected with a password (which I must have done not knowing). I hope someone who can open it will post a short message...
  15. indeedindeed Member

thanks for your work, but sorry, I have difficulties reading .doc files. Maybe .txt or .rtf ?
    I surely would like to have a look at it, but just don't know how much time I will have in the next days. But I will have a look at it, once I can read it.
  16. TrevAnon Member

Reposted as TXT (packed in ZIP). Hope this works for you.
  17. indeedindeed Member

that worked. i think it's already in a rather good quality, but there are some things that need to be changed and some need to be reformulated. But anyone simply wanting to know what this is about is already served very well with this document.
    Thanks, it saved a lot of work.
  18. TrevAnon Member

You're welcome. If there are any other requests for translations like this one I'd be glad to help!
  19. indeedindeed Member

Wonderful! Actually, there is another thing: There's the thread about former member Norbert Potthoff in this section. In posting no2 there is a part titled "Transcription" and the content continues in the quotation in posting no8, which is the latest posting. This is the complete german transcript of the show. There have been some parts translated already, but a lot remains to be translated and double translations aren't exactly a problem.
  20. TrevAnon Member

I'll see what I can do, just give me a few days to sort things out.
  21. indeedindeed Member

sure. any help is welcome.
  22. TrevAnon Member

@indeedindeed: look at the pothoff thread for my results.
  23. intothevoid Member

Well, without a structure i think the.txt is worthless. It's real pita reading through. The few lines i've read looked quite good though.
  24. shadowchaser Member

tried getting the txt version and it says it needs a password
  25. TrevAnon Member

I've had another person complaining about this when I sent him a ZIP-file. I don't know what causes the problem.

However, as the filesize of the TXT is bigger than the max filesize allowed here for TXT-files, I can't get you the file :sad: unless you give me in a private message a mailaddress. If you have a better solution, that'll be welcome. Of course you and I'd like to stay :guyfawkes: so a temporary address will do the trick.
  26. brisanonb Member

What level of readiness is this document at?

I am interested in getting this up to a well read English document, with translated pictures as well. In essence, I would like to mimic the design and layout of this document (including translated insert documents), preface it with a page explaining the translation effort and the current endeavour of Anonymous and compile into a professional looking document.

Pro looking documents aren't that great for raids and protests, but can you imagine posting a coloured and bound copy of these to every Member of Parliament, Congresscritter, Senator, Lordship etc? Depending on how concerned people are with their presence in certain org locations, they could be posted to councillors etc.
  27. indeedindeed Member

It's at the level of the .txt file.
    Typical example of the quality:

The content is there, the form has some problems.
  28. brisanonb Member

I see, OK. So it's almost a computer translated text at the moment? Give me three days to finish my examinations, and I am gonna be on this like a fat kid on cake.

This also leads to a new thread I will be posting shortly, to tabulate and document all German/English translation efforts for an at-a-glance post, with links and stuff.
  29. TrevAnon Member

After Babel Fish I edited the text, so it would be more readable. So I'd say it's a little more than 'only' computer translated.

Anyway: good luck with your efforts!
  30. Brogo Member

a overvier about all documents that have already been translated and those were the translation is still in progress would be great.

It would also be nice if someone here could get moderatorrights for this forum to keep it clean.
  31. indeedindeed Member

Good idea, I'll create this overview now and put it in the other thread.
    What do you mean with "keeping it clean"? It's a lot of stuff and there may be difficulties to keep track with it, but that's what the new thread is for.
  32. Brogo Member

i mean like putting the translated parts in the 1. post of the thread. or make one thread for all completed texts.
  33. brisanonb Member

I am working on copyediting and prepping this text atm. I intend to create a slick PDF just like theirs, but in English! I will post page by page, as I take the machine-translated text and confirm its content and make it read nicely in English.
  34. brisanonb Member

PAGE FOUR and FIVE OF THE PDF:
    I am concerned about the translation here of "Wer sich eine gründliche Auseinandersetzung mit dieser Organisation und deren Ziele ersparen zu können glaubt, weil diese beispielsweise auf Science-fiction-Mythen zurückgreift oder eine ihrer Untergliederungen als „Seeorganisation“ bezeichnet, unterschätzt das System."

I am just wondering if they are meaning "He who thinks he can find redemption underestimates the system" or "he who wants to avoid taking on the system underestimates the system".
    I think it's a strange turn of phrase, because there's the conflict bit but then the "save onself" bit. Germans?
  35. Black Jack Member

Very tricky... I'm not quite satisfied with it, but this my take on the sentence:

He who thinks he can save himself from an in-depth examination/discussion of this organisation and its goals, just because they fall back on science-fiction mythology or designate one of their subdivisions such as “Sea Organisation” underestimates the system.
  36. brisanonb Member

Just as a quick example, this is the sort of thing I intend to have when we're done (See attached zip containing a PDF).

nb: While I think it is nice to maintain the character of the original doc, I don't think it could hurt to change the title to something a little more English, to maybe "Scientology explained" or "Scientology uncovered"
  37. brisanonb Member

Oh I see, basically it's like "He who thinks he can dismiss them offhandedly because of their crazy system underestimates Scientology." This makes quite a bit more sense than I could see myself.
  38. Black Jack Member

Yes, that's about it.
  39. indeedindeed Member

thanks, nice work. Parts of text to which remarks are referring will be marked by italics most of the time.

I don't think this is correct, because it means something like "not to let them come to close"/"keep a distance" if I'm correct. In the original it says something akin to "which should best be ignored and [not to interfer with their business/let them have their way]", it's something in the meaning of "just let them do whatever they want to do"/"don't interfere"

I think there's a need for a "not".

I would skip the "often", because it's a general statement in the original.

proposal: "aims to explain the basics of the Scientology system", because of "in Grundzügen".

I'm not sure if it's right, because I don't really know what this expression implies. In the original the sentence means that who believes such has been fallen for the public deception, but not necessarily that he could be lured to join.

proposal, but not certain and not very important: "This document may also be downloaded from the same adress", because it's an example of what was said before and not another point. But I don't know whether this proposal is grammatically correct at all or expresses what i intend to say.

There's a small typo: "therapeutic"
  40. brisanonb Member

Thanks, I really appreciate your assistance because I'm still getting the hang of the nuances here.

I've changed "Arm's length" to "left to their own devices" which is an English phrase which sums up what you were saying. Basically, leave them alone, let them do what they want etc.

I've changed the "garden path" idiom to "lured into a false understanding". "led up/down the garden path" is an idiom which means to be told a story and believe it entirely.

As a final note, I've translated "Institut für die gesamten Strafrechtswissenschaften" into "Institute for Criminology", but there is the lack of gesamte in that title. I can't find an English site for the Institute, but should this be "holistic" "encompassing". I see what they're getting at it being the study of everything relevant to the field, but can't think of an appropriate word. I also think it doesn't effect the work too seriously though.