Customize

Cutting/Self-Harm within $cientology?

Discussion in 'Fair Game Reports and Personal Experiences' started by Anonymous, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Given the number of suicides the Co$ seems to cause and the tremendous pressure all within its grasp endure, I have to wonder about the prevalence of other self-injurious behaviors among SO or other Co$ members. Does anyone on here happen to have a related story/stories?
    My reason for asking is personal, and therefore obvious. Just curious.
  2. Anonymous Member

Sure have been a lot of suicides in the cult...
  3. Anonymous Member

Self-harm would just create more engrams body thetans to audit out at great cost. Far cheaper to just EOC with a "better luck next lifetime" hopes.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Anonymous Member

pro tip:
    putting a $ instead of the "S" in Scientlogy is so 2008 and bad for searches
    • Like Like x 3
  5. RightOn Member

6. RolandRB Member

Who needs bleach if you've got the keys to the transformer vault?
  7. RightOn Member

poor Stacy
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

That spelling will fuck up your search results, too...
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Anonymous Member

lol!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RavenEyes Member

• Cutting/self-harm is a common symptom/warning sign in women (or men) who have been victims of sexual assault, either experienced as a child or an adult. (Others cut, too, but it is a significant sign for SA victims.)
    • Victims of sexual assault are 13 times more likely to attempt/commit suicide.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous Member

Inflated, subjective cause and effect claims.
  12. AnonyVix Member

There have been a number of admissions of self harm due to scientology, the bleach incident above being the most well known. It would be damn near impossible to come up with any meaningful figures.

The figure of "13 times more likely" is subjective but there are studies that back up the claim that people who are victim of sexual abuse are more likely to self harm than "normal" people. That said it would be fair to say that victims of other forms of abuse are also more likely to self harm too.

That said the church of scientology provides an abusive environment which cultivates abuse and so may result in more self harm than the "normal" population. Then again there is a lot of pressure to not self harm too because of the belief system. You would be better putting this kind of enquiry in Ex Scientology Message Board.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/forum.php
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RavenEyes Member

Suicide
    Edit: I was busy, multitasking. Also, I think I must suck at maths.

My original numbers in the above post were correct. Victims of sexual assault are 4.1 times more likely to attempt/commit suicide than the general population and 13 times more likely to have made a suicide attempt. Source: Health Consequences of Sexual Abuse. 9(7) The Harvard Mental Health Letter (Jan. 1993) Here are additional dox from the National Women's Study, which was supported by the CDC and the DOJ.

http://www.musc.edu/vawprevention/research/mentalimpact.shtml
    http://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles1/nij/183781.txt
    http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32366

Cutting/Self-mutilation/Self-abuse
    Although I didn't give a specific number - so it can't be accused as being "inflated" - regarding the correlation between sexual abuse and cutting/self-mutilation/self-abuse, google "self-mutilation" and "sexual abuse" and feel free to peruse the 442K hits, with over 5100 scholarly articles on the subject, that are out there.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...tilation"&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22sexual%20abuse%22%20%22self-mutilation%22&hl=en&sa=N&tab=sw

Come back to me with YOUR dox. (Note: anything from the CCHR or the cult doesn't count.)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

Victims of abuse are 2 times less likely to self harm, I'm still working on the study that will prove this.
  15. Anonymous Member

thanks for the tip :)
  16. Demented LRH Member

When I was in Sea Org I heard rumors about bad things happening to the RPF members, but I cannot substantiate it. What happens on RPF is kept under the wraps.
  17. Anonymous Member

This really, REALLY depends upon the individual person. I, an SA (etc) survivor and ex-cultie kid, cut myself for nine years (which was damned near impossible to cover up) while my sister, who endured the same, would never ever cut herself.
    It's impossible to make generalizations...esp. where suicide attempts are concerned. Cutting, fucked up as it seems, IS a coping mechanism (a bad one) - it relieves pressure and actually keeps one from going ahead with an immediate suicide attempt.
    I'm not going to get into a debate over strength vs. weakness where suicide is concerned, but I will say that I think most cutters are very strong people trying to get through frightening turbulent waters and find land.
    /depressing cogitations
    PIZZA TIME! PIZZA TIME!
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Anonymous Member

^^ This was a reply to
  19. RavenEyes Member

I'm so glad you made it through those awful times, you brave anonymous soul! <3
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Anonymous Member

thank you very much! :) I just hope I can help someone else.
    • Like Like x 2
  21. The cutters I've known over the years, to a person, were sweet and creative people who were overwhelmed and coping as best as they possibly could within situations that most on the outside couldn't always understand.

I wish you- and them all- peace. :)
    • Like Like x 7
  22. Anonymous Member

I don't think I could bring myself to say I'm "sweet and creative" :)
    Thank you for your kind words!
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Anonymous Member

Hey, cool post : )

My first and last post in this thread. I'm ex staff.

cuttings.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  24. RavenEyes Member

&lt;3

While it pains me to see your picture, I'm so glad to see they're healed scars and not fresh wounds. I hope this means that healing (on the inside) is taking places, as well. Thank you for sharing such a personal, private part of yourself.

There is help out there, you guys - free help - for any of us who think we can't face life's bullshit or are dealing with issues from our past.

To anyone out there, please feel free to PM me if you want information on resources for help.

&lt;3
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

All the ones I have known were manipulative, dependent, attention seekers.
  26. Anonymous Member

Funny, because I couldn't wear short sleeves or tell anyone or half a decade afterward. Guess we've never met.
  27. Anonymous Member

How many have you known?
  28. Anonymous Member

Fuck off, you're a cunt, and it's telling that you would post such a vile thing anonymously.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Anoobymous Member

I &quot;liked&quot; your post because you're being honest about something extremely emotionally charged - not because I enjoy seeing the aftermath of intense pain!
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Anoobymous Member

No, you're thinking of emos.