Customize

Cult files suit in Georgia

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by GUMBYtheUNSTOPPABLE, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Cult files suit in Georgia

ATLANTA—A federal judge may soon decide the fate of the Church of Scientology's bid to turn a building in an Atlanta suburb into the group's Georgia headquarters.
    The Church of Scientology filed a federal lawsuit Thursday claiming that Sandy Springs discriminated against the religious group. The lawsuit comes a month after the city council voted to allow the church to move to the office building, but rejected its bid to add a fourth floor to the building.

The lawsuit asks a federal judge to reject the building's zoning limits. It also seeks lawyers fees.

The Los Angeles-based Church of Scientology is hoping to move its state headquarters from Dunwoody to Sandy Springs

Church of Scientology sues Ga. city - San Jose Mercury News

Church of Scientology sues Sandy Springs | ajc.com

Church Of Scientology Sues Sandy Springs - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

Church of Scientology sues Ga. city - KESQ.com Palm Springs, Coachella Valley - Weather, News, Sports:

Church of Scientology sues Ga. city - KMIR |

Church Of Scientology Sues Ga. City - cbs13.com

Church of Scientology sues Ga. city

Chattanooga Times Free Press | Church of Scientology sues Georgia city

Thing is, we video taped EVERY one of these meetings.NON-STOP and UNEDITED

The video's do not lie. Religion WAS NEVER mentioned.

Here's a ling to all 10 months work of vid on this matter.

YouTube - Reach4TheTippingPt's Channel
  2. ultrapoet Member

Scientology Files Federal BAAAAAWsuit Against Sandy Springs

Yeah, we thought it was over, but no.

January 13, 2010, the law firm of Dillard and Galloway filed suit in the Northern District of Georgia on behalf of the Church of Scientology of Georgia, Inc.

I've downloaded the dox off of PACER and I'll be getting them put up somewhere soon. Case Number is 1:10-cv-00082-CAP, for those of you keeping score at home.

C&P from Docket, sorry for wonky formatting

------
    U.S. District Court
    Northern District of Georgia (Atlanta)
    CIVIL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:10-cv-00082-CAP
    Church of Scientology of Georgia, Inc. v. City of Sandy Springs,
    Georgia et al
    Assigned to: Judge Charles A. Pannell, Jr
    Cause: 42:1983 Civil Rights Act
    Date Filed: 01/13/2010
    Jury Demand: None
    Nature of Suit: 440 Civil Rights: Other
    Jurisdiction: Federal Question
    Plaintiff
    Church of Scientology of Georgia, Inc.
    a Georgia Corporation represented byAndrea Cantrell Jones
    Dillard & Galloway
    3500 Lenox Road, NE
    Suite 760
    Atlanta , GA 30326
    404-965-3680
    Email: andrea@dandglaw.com
    LEAD ATTORNEY
    ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED
    George Douglas Dillard
    Dillard & Galloway
    3500 Lenox Road, NE
    Suite 760
    Atlanta , GA 30326
    404-965-3680
    Email: dotty@dandglaw.com
    LEAD ATTORNEY
    ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED
    Lauren MacLeod Hansford
    Dillard & Galloway
    3500 Lenox Road, NE
    Suite 760
    Atlanta , GA 30326
    404-965-3668
    Email: Lhansford@dandglaw.com
    LEAD ATTORNEY
    ATTORNEY TO BE NOTICED
    V.
    Defendant
    City of Sandy Springs, Georgia
    a Municipal Corporation of the State of
    Georgia
    Defendant
    City Council of the City of Sandy
    Springs, Georgia
    Defendant
    Eva Galambos
    Mayor of the City of Sandy Springs,
    Georgia
    Defendant
    John Paulson
    Defendant
    Dianne Fries
    Defendant
    William Coppedge Collins, Jr.
    Defendant
    Ashley Jenkins
    Defendant
    Tiberio DeJulio
    Defendant
    Karen Meinzen McEnerny
    individually and in their official capacities
    as members of the City Council of the City
    of Sandy Springs, Georgia
    Date Filed # Docket Text
    01/13/2010 1 COMPLAINT, filed by Church of Scientology of Georgia, Inc.; and Summon(s) issued.
    Consent form to proceed before U.S. Magistrate and pretrial instructions provided. (
    Filing fee $ 350.00 receipt number 20229.) (Attachments: # 1 Summons, # 2 Civil
    Cover Sheet)(eop) Please visit our website at OpenDNS to obtain
    Pretrial Instructions. (Additional attachment(s) added on 1/14/2010: # 3 Correct PDF -
    Civil Cover Sheet) (eop). (Entered: 01/14/2010)
    01/13/2010 2 Certificate of Interested Persons by Church of Scientology of Georgia, Inc.. (eop)
    (Entered: 01/14/2010)
  3. ultrapoet Member

Re: Cult files suit in Georgia

Agh! Just posted about it in Leaks & Legal. Can mods merge the threads?
  4. Re: Cult files suit in Georgia

This was predicted. Carry on.
  5. Anonynamefag Member

Give the videos to the defense. The case will be dismissed at initial proceedings, I'm positive.
  6. the anti Member

I wonder if any other REAL religious groups would pull this off if the same thing happened to them?
  7. Sponge Member

Re: Scientology Files Federal BAAAAAWsuit Against Sandy Springs

Baawww indeed.

I find it quite startling that they feel they have to resort to their classic old sledgehammer tactics in such a stupendously public fashion. I don't think the cult realises just how little time it has left in its present form.

I note that they haven't requested a jury. I wonder why. lol.

In otherwords: "We want you "wogs" nailed as bigots!!!!"
  8. ethercat Member

9. Anonynamefag Member

Funny thing is, we have all of the meetings recorded and unedited. Religion was never mentioned, but the cult threatening lolsuits certainly was.

Sounds like a slam-dunk defense to me. I just hope the judge has a sense of humor
  10. RightOn Member

they will NEVER learn
    feebs
  11. themadhair Member

Hope you have copies in a safe place.
  12. Re: Cult files suit in Georgia

Nicely done guise.

Those videos might be worth more mirroring and backups.

Interesting how the cult is referred to as a "church" (in quotes) on page two of the filing by the cult's own attorney.

Subliminal LULZ.

/popcorn
  13. ultrapoet Member

Okay, I read the Complaint. See if I can put together a tl;dr version for ya.

Basically, they're trying to get the zoning retried in Federal Court, on the basis that giving them anything less than what they insist they need for their "religious practice" is discrimination under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA). In short, "you have to let us do anything we want, no matter what the impact on the neighborhood might be, because you're a religious bigot if you don't."

They go for several paragraphs on why they need so much space, but spare only one vague paragraph of explanation as to why they bought a building that was too small in the first place, which seems to come to "we didn't think it would be a problem back in 2005."
  14. xenubarb Member

I believe many of the articles offered quotes from the city council clearly stating that Scientology could move into the building, as any other church could. They just can't wall off the parking garage as a chapel, and some other piddly zoning details.

And that is the point at which the Scilons bawwed, "We CAN'T use the building unless you let us change it!"

That part is quite clear. THEY have determined that the building they purchased is useless to them "as is." So where is the religious bigotry and persecution?

This case should be a slam-dunk, with all the video and all. However, the cult will try to divert attention, give long boring testimonials about all the "good" they do, and possibly bore the court to tears with paint and fabric swatches.

Things to keep in focus:
    The possibility that 10,000 Georgian Scilons will be using this facility. <snicker>

The fact that, while it is true that after a certain point, Scilons go to Flag for advanced training.
    Does that mean they will never return to Georgia and their local Ideal Org?

The fact that nobody objected to their purchase or use of the building, and it is their own decision that it is unusable in its current format that has brought on this legal temper tantrum from the dwarf. They must have it! They will have it!

I hope that the city can afford to fight this. Given the facts, this should never have been allowed in the first place. It's clearly frivolous, and an attempt to intimidate those who stand in the way of giving Enrico Entheta (aka Slappy) what he wants.
  15. themadhair Member

The quotes are referring to use of the words as per IRS definition and hence the quote marks.
  16. Lorelei Member

They are idiots.

They wanted SPECIAL PRIVILEGES granted. Denying special rights or exemptions to a person or entity like the CoS is NOT "religious discrimination."

As noted, the videos are and have been available. WHO brings up religion? NOT the council or residents.

Also notable: the ever-shifting data and statistics about some very basic info such as how large the sq. ft. measurement of the disputed property / building was, how many Scientologists are in the area (high when threatening backlash if they didn't get their way, low when trying to reassure the locals that EVEN THOUGH they had already held a huge event without getting permission or notifying anyone which caused parking / traffic issues, they did not have enough Scienos to cause parking / traffic issues at future events. YEAH RIGHT.)

They couldn't make up their minds about whether they were going to do outreach to the public or not, which would be important to know re: traffic, parking, business hours, etc. It was "no outreach" when parking was being discussed, but the desire to draw the public in to see their expensive wood paneling and HDTVs on the inside was articulated quite clearly. Speaking of, NO ONE cared about the INTERIOR reno; the issues all along dealt primarily with EXTERIOR issues (which still exist) such as poor landscaping, a crappy roof, trash, broken window frames, various bits of the building scattered about the parking lot that should have been still attached to the building, etc.

Just because THEY brought religion into the ZONING debate does NOT mean that it is "religious discrimination." I hope the judge laughs them out of court and slaps them with a HUGE punitive fine for their usual trick of frivolous lawsuit filing solely to harass entities they disagree with (one can dream).

And yes, they bough the unsuitable building and insisted on trying to shoehorn themselves into the unsuitable building, ignoring the existing zoning laws that clearly indicated that they would not be able to do so without a huge fight from the council and residents.

As for the "enclosed sanctuary", they spent a lot of time claiming that they were 90% "one on one counseling" anyway, and had plenty of office space to do just that.

(Maybe they are hoping to sneak a Narconon-like Purif. sauna onto the premises after all, though they were told they can't, and that is probably the only floor capable of that kind of load bearing...and you can't forget the tons of paper records and file cabinets / shelves that the CoS generates that add up to a lot of weight, too. Or maybe they want to start their own ATL-area RPF, and need the windowless basement area fully-enclosed for that reason. j/k)

@Skeptic: Who the hell knows. They may just want it because they were told they can't have it, and how dare non-Scis tell Scis "what to do". Ugh. Makes about as much sense as some of the other "reasoning" from CoS reps we've observed.
  17. Skeptic1337 Member

Do they even know why they want a fourth floor?

I couldn't be arsed to read any of this shit.
  18. Re: Cult files suit in Georgia

That's what I assumed, but that doesn't make it any less LULZY.
  19. ultrapoet Member

I'm now glad that they didn't deny them outright, as much as I would have loved that--it rather weakens the argument that they were being discriminated against when the final decision was "You can use the building as is; you just can't expand the square footage."
  20. themadhair Member

It sort of does...
  21. Anonymous Member

Before these recent bawwsuits, when was the last time the cult sued anybody ?

Frankly I don't like this new trend. (or return to their old trend, depending on how you look at it.)
  22. ravenanon Member

I find it funny, but after dealing with this for over 9 months I'm desperate for any kind of humor atm

Although the cults lawyer was very lulzy
  23. Lorelei Member

@ultrapoet:
    Exactly. The neighbors may not be overjoyed (/understatement) about a cult moving in, but they aren't preventing them from doing so; they are just not bending the existing zoning guidelines especially for the cult just because the cult stomps its foot and whines that it REALLY WAAAAAANTS IT and REALLY NEEEEEEEDS IT, BAAAAAAW.
  24. TomVorm Member

This is a bluff, that if it successful will be used by the cult as a legal precedent.

Do "religious" designs for land use, override community building and zoning standards?

The answer should be "no".
  25. TomVorm Member

As noted on a similar thread:

This is a bluff, that if it successful will be used by the cult as a legal precedent.

Do "religious" designs for land use, override community building and zoning standards?

The answer should be "no".
  26. ultrapoet Member

Oh, and I just found out they've also filed suit in Superior Court:

Can't seem to find dox online. May have to hit the courthouse. Sigh.
  27. Sponge Member

2eeajk5.jpg
  28. Anonymous Member

Is it bad that I just imagined the cult trying to get these videos taken down?
  29. 3rdMan Member

Is there any way we can do to intervene in Sandy Springs's favor? You know that Americans have a tendency to cave-in to the "big scary lawsuits." Especially when its Scientology involved (how many times have they gotten their way through litigation?) Is there any info and people we can refer them to so they're prepared for their tricks and lies?

I hate being a pessimist, but I bet Sandy Springs is leaning towards giving them their way.
  30. Re: Scientology Files Federal BAAAAAWsuit Against Sandy Springs

Never, it's out-ethics to learn real world behavior in Scientology.

Scientology ethics is an oxymoron.

They keep using that word, i don't think they know what it means.

Word clearing failure?

31. Anonymous Member

THe most ironic part of this... Scientology is just about the ONLY church that doesn't need one large meeting room. They don't really need a sunday service and only do it for show. The only reason they need the basement meeting room / chapel is because of this. In fact, an expert on scientology practices could argue that all of the necessary services could be delivered in the existing building.

The only reason they want a fourth floor and more space is a fake chapel as required by all Ideal Orgs. (it's a franchise requirement by one single planning/architect group for every Idle org plans int he country)... Also probably want a fucking sauna down there.

Dear judge they won't let us build our basement sweat lodge...

Anyways, I can't see any federal court allowing carte blanche building expansion under the fake complaint of religious use zoning.

Why not add ten more floors then? It's the same lawsuit.
  32. Anonymous Member

omg this thing keeps talking about 53,000 sq ft. is that with the new enclosed basement?

This thing will be thrown out for not being factual because it doesn't address the city not allowing them to expand the building by adding a fourth floor. It also talks about preventing them from using the 53,000 sq ft for religious usages... but if that is a fictional non-existing sq footage...
  33. Re: Cult files suit in Georgia

Let them! My hard drives have copies. My hard drives have hard drives that have copies. I have DVD copies. My DVD's have copies of themselves. LOL. My friends have copies of the copies. Need I say moar? Heck, I'll send copies of the video's to the judges.
  34. ethercat Member

They filed the original application for 3 floors with some minor zoning variances (not having to demolish the wall around it even though it falls into the newer setback area, and leaving the sign that is technically not on the property), and the chapel was to be on the 1st floor. They had also suggested in the application that they handle a "floor load" issue with a sign.

Turns out that the 1st floor is rated for 75 lbs/sq. ft, when the requirement is for 100 lbs/sq. ft for assembly areas. After the city said no to the sign (I assume), they amended the application before the second meeting to include the basement enclosure. That was where they went wrong. If they hadn't had the floor load issue that required the basement enclosure to include a sanctuary, their application would not have been denied.

I believe they feel they "must have" the assembly area (sanctuary) in order to look like a real church.
  35. terryeo2 Member

In the court documents the attorney for Scientology states that there are 600 members on the rolls in GA, with 100 of them being "active." So that means that there could possibly be as many as 3 TIMES the occupancy cap of scilons in that building at one time?
  36. terryeo2 Member

Quick question: Aren't there plenty of Orgs worldwide with square footage that is less than the 44,000 that is supposedly required for them to operate? How come THOSE towns aren't being sued on these grounds? Why are those Orgs operating with scilons coming-and-going, etc. when they supposedly couldn't do their stuff unless the building had 44,000 square feet? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Oh wait, its Scientology we're talking about. Of course they're hypocrits! I just hope that the defense in this case makes sure to bring these kinds of questions up.
  37. Sponge Member

I think maybe some recent exes could make themselves available to the defendants as expert witnesses to testify how typical orgs/idle orgs work on a day to day basis, on average and at peak times. Also whether there has ever been a general need for large open areas as a &quot;chapel&quot;. I'm sure an expenses paid trip to Atlanta would be enjoyable, especially to touch Gumby's hair and stroke Lorelie's little ferret whilst you're there [SIZE=&quot;1&quot;](that wasn't a euphenism, I did mean ferret).[/SIZE]

Oh well. Fo'sure, the suehappy cult's attorney Galloway is going to love this shit, win or lose....
    sandyspringsgallowayada.jpg

38. amaX Member

Nothing is working for the cult, but they have to keep trying to do something.

39. Lorelei Member

Murphy likes Anons, so, yes, you can pet him. :)

I think TomVorm nutshelled it best so far: "Do "religious" designs for land use, override community building and zoning standards? The answer should be "no"."

Exactly. And using lawsuits to harass communities like this should be punished severely, to deter further bullshit lawsuits.

What would amuse me would be the judge responding by looking into the cult's borrowing of the Post Office parking spots, and citing 'separation of church and state', and telling them that won't fly anymore, and now they are even more non-compliant with local zoning codes. It won't happen. I'm just riffing a bit.