Customize

Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Random guy Member

Re: Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

...and it will be a he said - she said situation, with no one to put the blame on.

I don't know if Amy Scobee is smart or not, but I don't think we should underestimate Marty Rathbun. He has proven amply sly before, and even though most here think he's a rat, it is quite possible that he honestly want to help Amy.
  2. Anonymous Member

Well, that's because Tom's crusty old knee-jerk attorney expects the crusty old knee-jerk wogs to interpret it the same way. As do the Clams. This decades-old interpretation of "social values" weighs in on Policy and resulted in Heber's infamous "are you on drugs?" meltdown...

Heber Jentzsch: Scientology's sanest spokesperson

This card would not even be in the deck were it not for the Second Prohibition and Reagan's "War on Drugs".
  3. Triumph Member

The Streisand Effect April 15, 2010
    by Jeff Hawkins
    read here
    The Streisand Effect Leaving Scientology
  4. Sponge Member

^funny you should mention the Streisand effect...

[SIZE="1"]Spoiler - Don't click if you haven't seen the Southpark 200th Episode.[/SIZE]
    [SPOILER] 258vzhh.jpg [/SPOILER]
    [SIZE="1"](btw, the Southpark/Cruise thread is full of spoilers)[/SIZE]
  5. Triumph Member

Streisand effect was batted around on this forum regarding this story and others..so maybe Jeff picked up on it...
    props go to the Anons discussing it here first
    fuck_barbara_is_that_your_face.jpg

censorship.jpg
  6. Holl Anon Member

Bottom line is that if Bert Fields sues Amy Scobee on behalf of Tom Cruise, Amy will be able to depose Tom Cruise for intensive questioning as part of the discovery process.

If Tom refuses, the case is dismissed with prejudice, and Amy can counterclaim TC for attorneys fees and damages.

I doubt Tom Cruise would be willing to suffer yet another dagger to his already eroded career.... much less talk about his alleged drug history....
  7. TinyDancer Member

I believe Marty is both very clever and very willing to assist Amy.
  8. Anonymous Member

The Streisand effect was discussed on enturbulation.com in February 2008 in relation to the TC video and has been rediscussed innumerable times. Jeff may have got it here or elsewhere. Trying to claim credit for the use of the term is like trying to claim credit for, I don't know, the rickroll?
  9. whoever Member

Wonderful! So glad to hear this.

Regarding Amy supposedly writing that Cruise has admitted use of illegal drugs, or that he was addicted, I think the sources who reported those things are misinterpreting the original info that was in Marty's blog. I see that kind of distortion happen all the time. It's like a game of telephone. Of course, I could be wrong; maybe they have some inside line and have found out more information from another source. But I'll be really surprised if that's the case.
  10. Anonymous Member

According to that flag order if Tom is honorary sea org then he is also a FSM who makes commission on everyone he refers in to scientology? I bet he has made millions off of his church, IF so.
  11. Sponge Member

Well if he belligerently decides to press on with it then it will be a long deposition so better instruct the clerk to make sure there is a plenty of fudge available for everyone.

dh2ir.jpg

In fact I think Bert Fields deserves a nice big extra-special gift from the best fudge packer hollywood has to offer.
  12. tikk Member

This isn't accurate. Beside that Tom Cruise's testimony in such an instance would not necessarily establish the truth, he has a right against self incrimination. His non-testimony would not result in dismissal.
  13. BigBeard Member

Deposing him regarding the use of legally prescribed "psychiatric" drugs would not involve any "self incrimination", unless he lied about it and got slammed with a perjury charge, so there's no 5th Ammendment basis to decline a deposition.

BigBeard
  14. Re: Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

The babbling, the interruptions, the "Acceptable Truths"...

Mental exercise: Find-and-replace "Heber Jensch" with "Tommy Davis". And then realise that even though TD never had that interview, it sounds exactly like the sort of things he'd say.

Hubbard PR Tech in action, down through the ages. And Scientology continues to enjoy its Einsteinian definition of insanity.
  15. Re: Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

Does that count the "1 BILLION PEOPLE that Tom Cruise has personally introduced to LRH Technology" as mentioned in the infamous video?
  16. AIN Member

it doesn't apply in a civil trial in this case, and secondly, since this is at the very heart of the matter, he would be forced to testify anyway, because the defense has the right to confront its accuser and they need to get around the hearsay rules of evidence.
  17. Triumph Member

DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD
    CAA Retreating... With Tom Cruise
    Tom doesn't appear to be upset about Amy's book..wondering if one of the guests there will ask him about the book?

Hey Tom...about that book coming out, .are you gonna read it?..

TOM: only if its written backwards..

Backwards???

TOM:Yes I'm dyslexic I have to read it backwards its the only way I can understand whats written.

CAA Retreating… With Tom Cruise – Deadline.com
  18. tikk Member

I probably shouldn't have even brought up the fifth amendment b/c it's the least of issues that would arise, although it can, yes, be asserted in a civil trial (but permitting adverse inferences, unlike criminal trials), and I don't believe it matters whether the possibility exists that Amy referred only to psychiatric drugs.

As I understand things, Amy doesn't have firsthand knowledge whether Tom Cruise took drugs; she was merely restating what she claims Shelly Miscavige told her. So she's essentially a republisher of Shelly's defamatory statement, or else she's defamed Shelly as well, for lying about Tom Cruise's drug history. So Amy's hypothetical defense of truth would not involve whether Tom Cruise ever used drugs, but rather whether Shelly Miscavige said what Amy claimed she said. Put differently, if you defame someone by calling them a murderer and you had no reason to believe that the person murdered anyone, it's not a valid defense to later discover and show that the person actually did murder someone. Because Shelly was likely referring to information found in Tom's PC folders, there might be a good basis to seek that much in discovery, since it would be relevant to the question of whether Shelly would have said what Amy claims she said, but Tom Cruise's self-serving testimony regarding his past drug history would not.
  19. Anonymous Member

Are you a Lawer ? Stop this moon batery at once ! You glass of fruit juice. Don't you think they know how this system works, and would know EXACTLY what they are doing to avoid this? You f*(&^%$% tin foil vender.

"HEY HEY, maybe they'll pay Scobee to not come to court" *chhhcrrs chhrrssh chrrsshh* - "crunching up tin foil"
  20. Optimisticate Member

Apparently Bert Fields is a lawyer. And he still hasn't learned how to properly threaten someone with a letter that isn't full of loopholes that elephants are jumping through and that hasn't stopped him yet. Don't assume he knows exactly what he's doing, he's got staff to do that for him.
  21. Anonymous Member

yeh but there was also the situation where DB was "summoning" ?( was it ? ) D M to court, never happened, and then M H case has run into a swamp, so keep it darn real instead of speculating like a parot with a head full of THC. It's plain moon batery.
  22. Triumph Member

Lake County News Sun (Chicago Sun Times)
    Author Cruising for a suit
    Book could land author in court, star's attorney says
    read the rest here
    Author Cruising for a suit :: News Sun :: Entertainment
  23. Kha Khan Member

From the always interesting and reliable Volokh Conspiracy.

Eugene Volokh is the Gary T. Schwartz Professor of Law at UCLA School of Law. He teaches free speech law and is author of the textbook The First Amendment and Related Statutes (3d ed. 2008).

ESMB Thread: California Nonrecognition of Foreign Libel Judgments

/
  24. tikk Member

That's definitely a good law, but the result would be the same in every other state without such statutes. In fact, there are a number of cases where plaintiffs tried to domesticate foreign, usually UK, defamation judgments and failed, for the exact policy reason in the CA statute (conflict with first amdt).

With the publicity of the Simon Singh case, there seems to be some momentum and talk that UK defamation law could become significantly more defendant-friendly soon, which would render laws like this unnecessary.
  25. DeathHamster Member

At various times, Tom Cruise has claimed that Scientology cured his dyslexia or that he was incorrectly diagnosed with it due to them eevil psychs, but he never had it.

tl;dr: turned into a newt, but he got better.
  26. Triumph Member

Esiurc Mot

Cured him from a few things...saddled him with a buttload of problems

[IMG]

don't call him a fudge packer!... he'll sue
  27. Rockyj Member

No it's "A FUCKING MIDGET PUSSY".
  28. Triumph Member

Long Pussy Cat
    [IMG]
    Meet Long Tongue

Don't Call Tom a Fudge Packer..He'll sue your entire town
  29. Anonymous Member

LOL-Doggie.jpg
  30. Sponge Member

5tt24i.jpg
  31. Anonymous Member

If Tom is honorary Sea Org does that mean he only makes 50 dollars a week and can be sent to the RPF?
  32. AIN Member

in summation, unless the defamation laws of the foreign country are as strong as Cali's laws, the foreign defamation settlement won't transfer and is considered immaterial.
  33. Anonymous Member

A FUCKING MIDGET PUSSY

FUCKING MIDGET PUSSY

MIDGET PUSSY

LOL.

(/r/ pix in dome)
  34. exOT8Michael Member

Karmic beauty of South Park Episode #200 is not lost here....
    LOL

It shows Tom Cruise as a fudge packer in the cartoon.
  35. Sponge Member

36. Re: Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

So that was his ruin and how they got him....
  37. Random guy Member

Yeah, that kind of makes sense.