Customize

Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2010.

1. mirele Member

Re: Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

Bert Fields is blowing smoke here in the USA.

Courts really, really, really, really, REALLY SUPER HATE pre-publication restraining orders. You practically have to prove it's going to impact National Security before a court's going to tell a publisher NO. Fields knows this very well. Probably better than me. He can probably recite the case law off the top of his head.

This kind of letter is a threat, though, towards selling the book in the UK. It could leave Scobee open for a foreign lawsuit. I am no longer a lawyer, but my suggestion would be to err on the side of caution and not sell any books directly to the UK at least for the time being. As American professor Deborah Lipstadt can tell you, getting dragged into a UK court to prove the truthfulness of your assertions (as opposed to the much more stringent US law) is a major pain in the ass.

In any case, it does appear that Fields has managed to inoculate Scobee here in the states if only because she publicized the existence of this missive--thus causing more publicity than I suspect Fields wanted. BWAHAHAHAHAH!
  2. Relyt Member

If Mr. Fields is really the professional celebrity lawyer he's made out to be, then why are his arguments so flawed? Is this another example of "suing for peace"? It's like he just cooked up something as fast as possible and is hoping it sticks. He probably knows that Shelley Miscavige would not be available to confirm or deny what Scobee says she said, so he's moving on down the latter by skipping a person and instantly connecting the "drug history" statement to Scobee, which of course won't work because any person with just a grain of legal knowledge will see that it would not hold ground in a lawsuit.
  3. Holl Anon Member

Bertram is covering his ass with the letters on behalf of his wealthy clients, who have made Bertram very wealthy in the process. It's showing his idiot client, TC, that he's, at least, doing something to protect TC's interests.

There are many attorneys TC can turn to if he felt Bertram wasn't earning his oats.
  4. Goosh Goosh Member

wouldn't being sued in the UK allow scobee to depose shelley miscavige?

little davey would never let that happen
  5. Holl Anon Member

It's possible, but you're assuming that Amy & her husband Mat have the financial wherewithal to fight lawsuits.. they don't.... hint: her book is self-published.

Defending oneself in litigation is very expensive, including in the UK. I would think Amy wants to avoid lawsuits if she can.
  6. Triumph Member

Tom Cruise Doesn’t Need the Church of Scientology to Help Him Pick Out Maids
    Crazy Scilon Responses

I doubt they even read the article or checked the link,I am sure that response will show up on another blog post somewhere else. Got to hand it to them "they are a walking billboard for "Looney Tunes"

Tom Cruise Doesn’t Need the Church of Scientology to Help Him Pick Out Maids -- Vulture

This Is L Ron Hubbards Brain on Scientology
    1960119_f520.jpg
    "I'm drinking lots of rum and popping pinks and greys." --- L.R. Hubbard 1967, in a letter to his wife.
  7. Goosh Goosh Member

that had to have been a troll

that's crazy even for a culty
  8. DeathHamster Member

I think it's thug-lawyer talk for "I had some goons obtain a copy. I read every detail, but I'm not going to admit that I used semi-criminal methods to get it."
  9. Triumph Member

Bert made the same Claims about not reading Andrew Morton's book,...hes becoming a "copy paste lawyer"

they made a "big stink" about Mortons book telling everyone they were going to sue..I have yet to see that threat carried through..

yea but its funny crazy.
  10. RightOn Member

Bert says none of Cruise's staff at his house are Scientologists. Why Bert, is that a bad thing?
  11. nowout Member

Another disqualifying Drug for the SO other than LSD is PCP or Angel Dust.
  12. Triumph Member

and Will Smiths School isn't a Scientology DayCare
    and Kristie Diet Elixir isn't a front for "cream cheese"
    and David Miscavage doesn't buy his shoe lifts at Pay-Less

Bert probably has his fingers crossed behind his back when he says that.

Best Gawker Comment
  13. andonanon Member

So to sum up, Tom Cruise is paying an expensive lawyer to write a letter to the author of a book he hasn't read, to call his best friend's wife a liar?
  14. jadedanon Member

This post actually made me lol, well done.
  15. TypingChimp Member

As much as I hate giving advice to someone I detest so much and find morally repugnant on a number of levels, perhaps Bertram Fields should word clear "Streisand effect." Otherwise, he may end up looking like this poor lass on the left:

Edit: I just posted this to have an excuse to post that vid.
  16. Anonymous Member

A challenger appears...

"Is cock considered a drug?"
  17. Goosh Goosh Member

y so scatological?
  18. anon555 Member

and the lawyer only denies illegal drugs he doesnt deny cruise could have been a prescription junkie. after all, wasnt that what cruise's big tantrum with Matt Lauer was about. evil drs prescribing too many pills etc, etc.
  19. TypingChimp Member

Umm... umm... I did it for teh lulz?
  20. Goosh Goosh Member

oh ok

carry on
  21. whoever Member

Ha. Really, it would be natural for him to hire some...are we to think he has avoided that for some reason?
  22. Anonymous Member

The cover of the book is priceless. A tiny little man bearing a striking resemblance to the tiny little sociopath.

And by the way....

CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD DAVID MISCAVIGE IS A FUCKING MIDGET PUSSY
  23. Rockyj Member

Marble-GT-Lotus.jpg

Ya think?
  24. xenubarb Member

I lol'd
  25. Anonymous Member

More Golden Age?
    Scientology introduced to the hot tub?
  26. WagTheWog Member

27. Obi-Wan-anon Member

So lets see - the book is not for sale anywhere, is self-published, and yet SOMEONE was able to get and read a copy, and pass on specific details from the book to a third party.

Sounds to me like this lawyer is about to become a material witness to a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Of course, the lawyer could try to claim client/lawyer privilege, but then how to explain that he knew his client broke the law and he didn't report it? He knows, according to his letter, that the book isn't available to the public yet (..."I represent Tom Cruise I understand that you plan to publish a book..."). He's trying CYA ("I haven't read it"), and can say that HE doesn't have a copy. But he knows who does. And he might even know how many copies were made.

Since Scobee doesn't know how many copies "John Doe" made, she could sue multiple John Does.

And I believe violation of copyright laws are FEDERAL charges.
  28. DeathHamster Member

Standard CoS tactics are to obtain pre-release copies of any book or documentary, by hook or by crook. Bert was probably careful not to be officially informed of the details of how it was done, but I'm sure he has a pretty good idea.
  29. Re: Cruise's Lawyer Threatens to Sue Scobee

Cruise is full of crap. He's a public figure and the burden of proof is on him. He has to prove he never took drugs and that Scobee knew he was clean and made the statement maliciously.

Amy Scobee will be laughing all the way to the bank while Cruise and Slappy get pissy and write mean letters together while repressing their gay love.

Libel - Defamation - Entertainment Law

30. whoever Member

I don't believe any copyright infringment has taken place. If Bert Fields saw anything, he did not quote it publicly. Legal beagles should chime in here, of course.

I don't think it's even clear that he's read it. He made claims about its content that are (according to Marty) not true. He could just be going on rumors.
  31. RightOn Member

yes I know.
    but he makes it sound like it is bad if Cruise employs COS members as his staff.
    It is kind of like this...
    Cruise has no problems hawking his beloved church over the years.... BUT it would be a bad thing (for his career) if he has Scientologists working for him. You would think he would say "of course they are Scientologists! What is wrong with giving someone a job"?? lol!

I just think it sounded wierd that a LAWYER (cough) would even mention and defend such a petty claim, and then deny it like it was a bad thing to employ COS members. Whether Cruise does or not. And basically, I don't see how he would be able to have non COS members working for him at his home, I think the risk would be too great. I think a non COS member would eventually leak things about his lifestyle and such if they ever left.
    I wonder if they get more sect checks than others? lol
  32. Random guy Member

This strange denial must be in relationship to something Scobee wrote in her book. Now I really want to read it.
  33. Sponge Member

34. RightOn Member

deelish! Congrats Bert for boosting awareness and book sales!

Tell me though.... since your letter to Amy has caused exactly what you DIDN'T want to happen.....
    Will Mr. Cruise be suing you now?
    'Cause you really are doing a bang up job of bringing attention to this book. Thank you

Once again.... Scientlogy's fair game mentality working in our favor.
  35. Anonymous Member

To say either yes he does employ Scientologists or no he doesn't would mean that it was checked upon or asked about at some point (or required one way or another). It's none of his business. It's not like a name would give it away so it could be assumed that Rosen is a Jew and O'Malley is a Catholic. This denial is stupid on his part... the answer should just be "I don't know what the religions of his employees are".
  36. RightOn Member

yep.
    but I also think he shouldn't have brought it up at all to Amy. It sounds ridiculous and totally unprofessional coming from a lawyer. IMO
  37. Major Boyle Member

It's SLAPP. Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation. And Amy's would be an anti-SLAPP lawsuit.
  38. STC_sock Member

That's a very good drawing of David Miscavige. An excellent book cover 10/10
  39. Anonymous Member

Bertram Fields is The Mole.
  40. Sponge Member

Tom Cruise is doinitwrong. He should get on the bandwagon before it's too late.

2irtct5.jpg