Customize

Crikey: Senate lends Scientology a hand

Discussion in 'Senator Xenophon And Scientology' started by Anonymous, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Crikey: Senate lends Scientology a hand

More at link.

The Senate lends Scientology a helping hand – Crikey
  2. Optimisticate Member

Re: Senate lends Scientology a helping hand

It's awful, just awful, to read the stories of the forced abortions over and over, but I am glad that this writer has highlighted them in detail. The more light that is shed on the issue, the easier it is to focus the microscope of the public. It sounds like the Senate in AUS needs a little edjumakation. Odd and quite sad that only one senator seems to get it.
  3. Anonymous Member

so does this mean there is not going to be a senate investigation ?

4. Herro Member

Re: Today in the senate - Vicki Dunstan submission.

My guess about all of this is still that nobody really gives a fuck about this, and xenophon (who has a history of pulling stunts) is whoring for more media attention. Pure speculation though. Who knows.
  5. Anonymous Member

Do you guys think it would be too intrusive to do a wiki for the coerced abortions? with testimony and docs and stuff?
  6. Anonymous Member

Too intrusive? Let's ignore what the cult does out of sake of politeness to its victims, sure.
  7. Ann O'Nymous Member

Never defend. Always attack.
    Lurk moar.
  8. Kalashnikov Member

Hate to say it but I think the children are better off never experiencing the torment they would had they been born into scienfaggotry.
  9. Anonymous Member

You have a poor history of guessing the most likely reason behind events.
    Even worse at predicting the probable outcome.
    Have you noticed that about yourself?
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice self-delusion.
  11. Anonymous Member

Re: Crikey: Senate lends Scientology a hand

I've given this story its own thread. Crikey is an influential online journal read by Australian politicians and journalists, among others.

The article links to our wiki page on coerced abortions (which is no longer linked from the front page of the wiki, what's with that?)

It also links to the Catholic Online article about the press conference on Friday which, serendipitously, has a photo that includes an LA photo saying "Thank you Xenophon".

Or perhaps that should be "providentially".
  12. Anonymous Member

Great comments section too.
  13. Anonymous Member

Fortunately, the "guess" of Herro obviously doesn't apply

Orly?
    Define "stunt"?
    DOX will suffice

Orly?
    Define "is whoring"?
    DOX will suffice

Not even

.9/10
  14. tazor Member

This means nothing. It is just a reply. Everything will still go on as planned.

Herro, you are so wrong about Xenophone. Although I appreciate your devil's advocate posts most of the time and think they serve a valuable purpose, you are off on this one.
  15. Anonymous Member

16. Anonymous Member

17. Kalashnikov Member

Regardless, it's a win-win situation. More people becoming immune.

Keep planting seeds, anonymous!
  18. Anonymous Member

Nick Xenophon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not that publicity stunts are bad. Frankly if sen. Xenophon is just using 'us' at least it gives us creadibility and gets us attn.
  19. Sponge Member

Pretty good article.
    Totally critical of the cult + lots of links to other resources such as SP Times, Nightline, Headley & DeCrenscenzo lawsuit dox, Catholic Online article covering the LA Press Conference, Xenu-directory.net and Factnet resources, WWP wiki on coerced abortions and more.

It's a pity that Crikey didn't include Vicki Dunstan's pictoral and personal response to scientology critics:
    4229230501_fddae24bab.jpg
  20. Herro Member

Abortion... intrusive... there's a joke in there some where.

His wikipedia page notes that he is well known for pulling stunts to get media attention. The stunts listed are all referenced from news articles. He probably sees himself as a crusader for niche or esoteric causes and he also seems to know the value of playing up that role in the media. This seems to be par for the course for him. That doesn't mean he doesn't think this is the right thing to do. But I would imagine that the media attention is a big part of this for him. But I say that solely based upon his past behavior. Without actually speaking to the man and asking him about this there's really no way to know. I also think it's important to remember that if he has a reputation among his colleagues of being an attention whore, they may be less likely to take him seriously when he talks about scientology. Just a thought.
  21. tazor Member

Well yeah. He's a politician carving out a name for himself.

But from everyone of the Aussies I've talked to I've heard really good things about him. He calls to check up on them and make sure they aren't getting fair gamed and so on.

This may be contrary to what someone else has said but I got that from several different Aussies.

I don't think he took up this cause to bring attention to himself at all. If he gets attention then he deserves it.
  22. Anonymous Member

23. El Diablo Member

Well, I don't know if you listen to the senate, but I highly doubt he's seen as an attention whore by his colleagues. Yes, he has pulled "stunts", but then again he came to parliament on a "no-pokies" policy (which, btw are a blight on many communities, but also a symptom of state governments that have been progressively starved of revenue through the Howard era). He's often the person trying to find compromise between the parties - and if you listen to the response to his critiques of legislation, you'll see that the minors and majors see him as someone who is thoughtful, genuine and non-reactionary - often thanking him for his critiques even if they don't agree. Very few, if any personal attacks are ever directed his way in parliament - and the tone of those addressing him seems to be one of respect (and no, that's NOT the norm).

Also, he's campaigned for greater attention and action on the Murray-Darling river system and it's lower lakes. He's from South Australia, right at the end of the Murray-Darling, which is highly dependent on it for water. They're facing and/or in the midst of an environmental disaster with rising salinity and constant risk of soil acidification because of the drought and lack of environmental flows and overallocation upstream.

SA has a lower population than the upstream states (Qld, NSW and VIC) and is often forgotten about on the national stage. So he might be shamelessly playing to the media on particular issues - but unlike some other parliamentarians who are similarly no strangers to the media stunt, he does it for EXTREMELY GOOD reasons. While NSW and VIC are squabbling amongst themselves over who is overusing water resources, SA is is watching the lower lakes die, and their domestic water supply dry up.

So, Parliament is back on Monday. It's web-cast. You should tune in.
  24. WTF Member

Nick Xenophon and some of his cunning stunts--OSA film at 11...
  25. Belladonna Member

26. Belladonna Member

Cyrus Brooks responds

Crikey

(I guess there's no hope that this is the former Sydney mayor David Griffin)
  27. Anonymous Member

The requisite letter from Cyrus Brooks to Crikey: Garrettgate revives private vs. public debate – Crikey