Customize

Creating a categorized "NEWS LIBRARY" for articles related to Anoynmous and CoS

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by anonimo, Mar 29, 2008.

1. anonimo Member

Creating a categorized "NEWS LIBRARY" for articles related to Anoynmous and CoS

Hi guys,

there is lots of news about Scientology and Anoynmous topics that is of more or less importance to the Anons here and anyone trying to get the whole picture and researching this stuff. We get updated a lot through the breaking news section on enturb. The question is: is someone archiving and categorizing all of these news stories systematically already?

Such a "news library" could possibly be of great use for new members, the interested public or journalists. I'm sure there might be several places having links to outstanding articles and lots of websites mention articles here and there, but are there sites/people who try to cover the issue a bit more extensively?

I was thinking about a website/wiki where we could have suche a categorized collection of news articles. We would collect, report and sum up the articles collaboratively so that transparency is guaranteed and it's not too much work for one person.

Seeing all of these articles together might also boost motivation, as it still sometimes seems media is a bit reluctant to cover us. I will also help any anon who wants to write a text or create a youtube video about a specific topic, say "fair game", "disconnection", "tom Cruise" etc. The effort of creating this won't be such a big one, the positive effect though might be huge.

Please give me feedback on this idea!
    Please send me all websites that already have link lists or collection of news articles (and maybe recorded radio programmes)!
    Later we can discuss how to do it and what to include.

anonimo
  2. ptsAnnon Member

Re: Creating a categorized "NEWS LIBRARY" for articles related to Anoynmous and CoS

I think a wiki is a good idea, summarising important threads and linking ideas and info together.
    I know there are other wikis in use, but since enturbulation is one of the most active places for discussing anti sci action I think a enturb wiki would be great. my 0.02.
  3. anonimo Member

Re: Creating a categorized "NEWS LIBRARY" for articles related to Anoynmous and CoS

I'm not talking about a whole wiki system. Just about a wiki page that might be created on wiki.costruth.com. The question is, is there already a wikipage or website that is trying to collect all the existing articles, possibly putting them into categories.

I'd love to see a wiki page where all anons could collaborate to add articles from all over the world.

BTW, I also agree that wiki pages summarizing several enturb threads would be very useful. A enturbulation section on costruth.com might be a cool idea, too.

anonimo
  4. anonimo Member

*bump*

I need to get an opinion on this. Please take the time to read my suggestion.
    I think news articles get "lost" in lots of decentralised websites and I still don't know if there's someone taking the time to really collecting all the regional and national news relevant to Anonymous' cause.

anonimo
  5. Re: Creating a categorized "NEWS LIBRARY" for articles related to Anoynmous and CoS

I approve of this idea! :D
  6. Re: Creating a categorized "NEWS LIBRARY" for articles related to Anoynmous and CoS

The idea has been proposed in other threads, although I do not recall anything being decided. "Search" is our friend.
  7. Re: Creating a categorized "NEWS LIBRARY" for articles related to Anoynmous and CoS

[STRIKE]We have a wiki: http://non.violentuprising.com/index.php/Main_Page[/STRIKE] I'm an idiot. That's a local wiki, thought it was a global one. We need a news wiki. We could also start collecting testimonies for ex scientologists there.
  8. AnonD Member

I have a collection of all the Australian news articles from the 1950s until yesterday that I've managed to find online so far (with a few missing 'blocks', which hopefully will be filled at some point). This is part of a data collection to be distributed via DVDs at the next protest: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/showthread.php?t=7528

That post also has a link to the text only info - this also include the Anderson Report and the intro note for the DVD, but the news articles are all in there as well.

If/when this gets done PM me for a link to an updated version. I'll make one with just the news articles then.
  9. anonimo Member

I'm not sure how such a site should be structured. We would need to decide on some kind of category structure. Anyone is willing to dedicate some time to thinking about and discussing it?

I will start some brainstorming:
    -----------------------------

News about CoS's crimes and CoS related deaths etc:
    - kidnapping French woman
    - killings that happened because people didn't take psychiatric medicine
    - people fleeing from CoS

Fair Game

Anonymous protests

Analisis of Anonymous

Scientology Front Groups

Scientology Censorship and Efforts to suppress free speech

CoS in trial, court rulings

Articles about Scientology's nature
    - ex-scientolgists reporting / being interviewed

Governments. politicians and other prominent people on CoS

this is what come to my mind now, but the list needs to be extended quite a bit I guess. In the end regional news will be on seperate pages I think in order not to make the page too long.

Maybe we should also include news reports and documentaries (better if video is available, but mentioning it might make people get a video). The articles should be sorted by date of course. Huge older articles would need to be marked clearly in order to spot them in the list or must be "stickied" to the top.
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

@ anonimo,

I wasn't aware of the present thread, so I started this morning something connected with your idea: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/showthread.php?t=7531.

have a look and let me know what you think.

There are various solutions, e.g. you take the newspapers (hard & online) and I take TV/radio.
  11. Tuesday Member

Keep in mind that we've had a Breaking News forum here. Older posts are in the archive subforum under breaking news. This would likely be a good place to start.
  12. its.an0nym0us Member

DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS...

Moved the wall o text to the appropriate thread. My bad!
  13. anonimo Member

You are referring to the Video Library, right? I don't think we should or could have the same category structure for both the News Library and the Video Library, though part of it may well be identical. Let's not mix things up. BTW, very nice that you've copied the category structure, looks very clear. Now we can discuss it more easily on enturb!

I'd like to ask you to post your ideas about rearranging the categories also in the Video Library thread, because this is really needed to get it going any time soon. There are some other issues I mentioned in the thread over there, that need to be solved.

Actually yes, that would be great. I'm not very wiki savvy, but I assume that won't be possible. We need to find some kind of work around for this, maybe simply using the browser's search function.

I replied to the rest of your posting here: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/26-think-tank/anonymous-video-library-7580/

anonimo
  14. anonspilz Member

15. its.an0nym0us Member

In my ferver I was more intent on replying to the post that suggested it than the actual OP. For some reason I had it in my head that we were only discussing video news, so I jumped in to that information and completely bypassed online news articles.

This also presents an interesting case of how exactly to organize this information. Do we wiki it? Do we hard code it? Can we tag it?

Not every article will have a strong theme, and may include useful information on a variety of topics. Tags would be a useful tool for research for both protesters and media alike.
  16. anonimo Member

I thought wiki should be best to manage this huge project. One single webmaster cannot update every time a new articles is out. Maybe we could do it in a similar way as whyweprotest is done. People translated the text on a wiki and every now and then content was updated.

But I don't know much about the technical side.

What do you mean by "hard code"?

I think tagging would be great. Also it would be great if wiki supported some kind of database function for searching more easily. In the worst case we just have the articles in different sections (some articles might be in more than one section if it conserns more than one main topics) without any additional comfort

I totally agree. The same is true for the video library. I hope someone can tell us what can be done about it all...

But hey, for the moment we just need to get the most important articles neatly gathered on a nice wiki. Later we go into the details...

anonimo
  17. anonimo Member

18. its.an0nym0us Member

If this is the case, we should stick to making a general 'media' wiki that covers all forms of articles and video. The overlap here would be too great.
  19. anonyrat Member

*Bump for great idea*

Did anything get done on this? I'm contemplating the possibility of a website/database listing all the incidents of Fair Game this year organised along similar lines, as per AnonMSW's suggestion in this post. This would be useful not only for tracking individual incidents and their outcomes (e.g. Gregg's and Rorshach's cases) but for establishing a clear pattern of intimidation and harrassment by CoS members to demonstrate to media and law enforcement that Fair Game still takes place. It would also be useful for analysing changes in the CoS's behaviour and strategies - have they realised obvious fair gaming only gains them bad PR and moar anons protesting? Or are they scaling up their efforts? How can we use their tactics to our advantage?

I'm thinking something along the lines of a wiki with a tagging system would work best (if such things exist). However I don't have any wiki experience and don't know if such a thing would feasible or worth the effort to create and maintain it.

Did this news library project ever get off the ground? I would be willing to help out.
  20. its.an0nym0us Member

^My thoughts exactly.

I have been busy with IRL dramallamas, transcriptions, and wr0k, but I will be researching this too.

I think that the 'news library' or a 'video library' is pretty useless by itself. I want a complete index of EVERYTHING. PERIOD.

There might be some in progress. Ror is involved in litigation, so I don't think that will get us anywhere.