Customize

Craigslist - Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Media' started by beef, Jun 21, 2010.

1. beef Member

2. da5id Administrator

Re: Craigslist - Los Angeles

I was contemplating creating an application to help find and automate this (and similar) issues. The idea was that I write a server-side app that does all of the searching, and then I write a small client that sits down in yer systray (by yer clock) and pops up a notification from our server whenever something new is found. then you, the user, have the option to click it and report the item as spam to CL.

The main reason I haven't moved on this is that I'm unsure of how many folks would be willing to run a client side application like that. Granted, I'd like to think that I've earned at least some trust from my work here, but I also understand paranoia :)

So what do you think.. would YOU run it?
  3. Anonymous Member

In their TOS:

You agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available Content:

k) that constitutes or contains "affiliate marketing," "link referral code,"
    "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters, " pyramid schemes", or unsolicited
    commercial advertisement;

l) that constitutes or contains any form of advertising or solicitation if:
    posted in areas of the craigslist sites which are not designated for such
    purposes; or emailed to craigslist users who have not indicated in writing that
    it is ok to contact them about other services, products or commercial interests.

w) post the same item or service in more than one classified category or
    forum, or in more than one metropolitan area;
  4. Anonymous Member

One way is to fight spam with spam. Post identical ads with a slightly different email under your control, and phone number to another cult. And of course sell a diamond ring for 10 dollars and the scilon number will be flooded with enquirers. The email should be an autoresponder for anything you desire.

Once I tried to shut down a local immoral section of CL by a little client program that detect and swap and phone numbers, and repost them automatically. I don't know exactly the effect was when half the numbers are to the wrong person. I sure know that some "sellers" tried to kill each other, at least that's what they threaten those who "stole" their ad. Though fully automatic reposting is a bit harder since then.
  5. Smurf Member

I doubt they have much success attracting raw meat through CL. They post there because it's free. Most people, I think, would recognize cheap marketing when they read it on Craigslist.
  6. Spotted on Craigslist in Los Angeles

[IMG]

"I've got several boxes of fiction books for free

Mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy

They're free, so just come if you're interested, I'm not really going through to check specific titles but you're welcome to come check for yourself."

[IMG]

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/zip/d/books/6297156054.html
  7. That address listed - 1404 N. Catalina- is one of the street addresses for Big Blue - on the Catalina St. (west) side of the city block occupied by PAC base.
  8. Hahahahaha..threw up in my mouth a little