Customize

Count Alfred Korzybski & Dianetics

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by dogwearsglasses, May 10, 2008.

1. Count Alfred Korzybski & Dianetics

Hubbard notes many influences such as Buddha, Jesus, Feud, etc., as having been his main influences in writing Dianetics & Scientology.

I can tell you this from a more-than-reliable source: He got (stole) the whole concept from one man: Count Alfred Korzybski; who wrote "Science and Sanity" ( you can still find it on Amazon ).

Korzybski was a scientist. At one point he pulled his book, saying something to the effect that it's concepts were being "misused".

Here is the link to his article in the NYTimes:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archiv...E1431EF33A25757C0A96F9C946095D6CF&oref=slogin

Now tell me that doesn't ring a bell - sounding very much like the circular writing-style of LRH!:wink:
    :text:
  2. Re: Count Alfred Korzybski & Dianetics

Maybe I dreamt this - but I do believe there was a reply posted here last night, stating that Hubbard got most of his material from Jung. Jung!? C'mon.

Anyway - I just thought I'd clarify what is noted in the book ( supposedly Freud; Freud was a psychiatric professional!)

SCIENTOLOGY 8-8008 copyright 1953

In addition to Sigmund Freud and Commander Thompson, Hubbard has credited the following persons as source material:

Anaxagoras
    Aristotle
    Roger Bacon
    Buddha
    Charcot
    Confucious
    Rene Descartes
    Will Durant
    Euclid
    Michael Faraday
    William James
    Thomas Jefferson
    Jesus of Nazareth
    Count Alfred Korzybski
    James Clerk Maxwell
    Mohammed
    van Leeuwenhoek
    Lucretius
    Isaac Newton
    Thomas Paine
    Plato
    Socrates
    Herbert Spencer
    The Vedic Hymns
    Voltaire

In that order. Jesus of Nazareth? Really? Hm, that's odd.
  3. Amnon Nhymous Member

Re: Count Alfred Korzybski & Dianetics

I've read the Korzybski book quite a long time ago, and been interrested in what he called General Semantics.

Korzyski was not insane, so he didn't make it a cultish shit, however people involved are very respectful of his work and there are (was?) some courses here and there in US Universities.

I left the "movement" many years ago now but still sticking to some very basic and useful stuff. You might have read "World of null-A" and sequels by A.E. Van vogt. It was (badly) influenced by it.

I couldn't tell what Wrong Ron picked from AK's work, since I havn't read his books.

General Semantics is concerned with the way words/meanings influence us, how they relate to reality, etc.
  4. Re: Count Alfred Korzybski & Dianetics

It's Korzybski - not - Korziski, if that matters at all. No, he wasn't insane. He was a scientist.
  5. Amnon Nhymous Member

Was typo error.
  6. MarcabEmpress Member

and yet--he leaves off Crowley.. tsk tsk...
  7. Grunce Member

Hubbard was indeed well-aware of General Semantics and attempted to ride its coattails; in "Terra Incognita: The Mind" (the article in which Dianetics was first described" Hubbard claimed that Dianetics was "a member of that class of sciences to which belong general semantics and cybernetics and, as a matter of fact, forms a bridge between the two." (Amusing side note: in that same article, Hubbard extols the use of drugs in Dianetics: "Narcosynthesis and other drug therapies have some slight use in Dianetics. But the primary technique consists of stimulants. The best stimulant is Benzedrine. In its absence an overdose of coffee will do.")

However, it's notable that a General Semanticist, S. I. Hayakawa, delivered one of the most stinging debunkings to Dianetics, in an article titled "Dianetics: From Science-fiction to Fiction-science". Sadly I cannot find the full-text version that was once on the web, but it's a wonderful read; Hayakawa observes that Hubbard introduces Dianetics, not as an actual scientist would introduce actual scientific results, but as a scientist character in a pulp magazine "space opera" would explain whatever advanced technology was then going to be taken as read in the story.
  8. Amnon Nhymous Member

Google is your friend, sometimes.

S.I. Hayakawa reviews Dianetics, 1951

9. Grunce Member

Oooh, nice! Funny, I did Google-search for it, but it didn't come up. I wonder why? I must have had the search text wrong somehow.
  10. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Korzybski's book is dense and hard to follow. But you can see the influence on Hubbard pretty easily.