Customize

Could addicts forced to attend Narconon sue the state?

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by anon8109, Oct 15, 2014.

1. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 10
  2. jensting Member

Good thinking. Especially now that the lawyers for narCONon have describe it as faith-based :)
    • Like Like x 5
  3. patriot75 Member

very interesting thought
  4. patriot75 Member

I would think this would mainly pertain to parole boards. Basically you go to NN or stay in jail kind of stuff.

To my knowledge, when someone is facing judgement with a plea bargain that includes treatment, the family or the defendant supplies the court with treatment centers and the court approves the provided treatment center.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Quentinanon Member

The judge could be sued for malfeasance if it was the judge's idea. Even negative press for that judgment could damage the judge politically.
  6. Hugh Bris Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_immunity
    So, no, the judge can't be sued.
  7. Quentinanon Member

8. Hugh Bris Member

My bold. The statute pretty much indemnifies them against action.

Can you name a judge that has been convicted under the malfeasance law? It may exist as a law, but even the wiki article said
    I'm thinking that the reason there were few reported cases is not because there were few instances, but because other judges and public officials are highly reluctant to go after each other.

here's another wiki article:
    That article mentions one judge who was convicted, but his acts were outside the courtroom. So unless they act outside the courtroom anything the judge does, even if it is with "corrupt or malicious intent" is indemnified in US courts.
  9. anon8109 Member

Let's not get off topic. We were discussing suing the state, not the judge.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. patriot75 Member

I received this from a "in the know" attorney:

My question:
    Could addicts forced to attend Narconon sue the state for the reason of the government coercing someone to participate in religious activities. This applies to addicts receiving court orders to attend Scientology's Narconon?

Answer:
    Highly likely I would say but would first want to read the cases and it would have to be someone that was offended by the teaching.

My followup question:
    But, when someone is facing judgement with a plea bargain that includes treatment, the family or the defendant supplies the court with treatment centers and the court approves the provided treatment center.With that being said would the responsibility be on the state for approving the treatment center or is the responsibility on the defendant and/or family?

Answer:
    Depends, do know of someone ordered by the court to go to N?

I don't know of anyone off the top of my head, but I'll be putting some feelers out later today or on Sunday.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. RightOn Member

I like where this is going
    • Like Like x 2