Customize

COS paid two private investigators millions to trail David Miscavige's rival

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Sep 21, 2012.

1. rickybobby Member

This is a common legal tactic when filing suits like this.... Hit hard, hit fast, and hit 'em big between the eyes, send them reeling so they are eager to settle fast and big before they have a chance to craft a considered response. This is the lawyer's way of knocking them off balance. No way they want the long haul, they want fast, like Debbie Cook, like Katie Holmes. My fondest hope is that the CoS decides NOT to cave in and gives them pushback, because then not only will more juicy details be dribbled out to put pressure on DM to cave, but more folks will be enticed to come out of the woodwork to also get a quick bit o' cash in exchange for THEIR silence, thus becoming an ongoing problem/distraction/money drain for the church and a constant irritant to the little doodoo head. NO WAY will this get too far, cuz NO WAY will DM EVER EVER EVER submit to deposition. EVER. Hell, he's too chickenshit to go on Larry King!

R
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. rickybobby Member

My impressive psychic abilities channeling an ancient alien tell methat John is under the radar. I bet he hasn't been audited in quite awhile.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wolfbane Member

^^This. And pushback could be quite juicy indeed, as noted in TonyO's freelancer debut piece from this morning: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/stat...tigators-millions-to-monitor-former-rival.ece

• Like Like x 1
  4. jensting Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. grebe Member

From the filing:
    Can we use this information to get the IRS to review Scientology's tax exempt status?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Xenu Is Lord Member

I am not sure but writing letters of concern to the IRS could not hurt. Again, this is not a way a church should be acting. It also might help set future regulation that could force the cults behavior in to the light.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wolfbane Member

Hard to say. But perhaps the weak link here isn't Scientology directly, but the law firm who got their hands dirty. Can we report the slimy bastard lawfags that sucks DM's kawk for money laundering or other nefarious espionage related actions?

Food4thought: If we systematically take out their law firms and/or make it hard for them to keep decent counsel, the cult's bases will crumble faster in the long term.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigBeard Member

In the past the IRS seems to have been, let's say, less than responsive to complaints about this kind of stuff regarding the Cof$.

Maybe a 'heads up' to these people might get more results:

Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight

Chairman
    Kent Conrad, ND

Ranking Member
    Jon Kyl, AZ

Democrats
    Max Baucus, MT
    John F. Kerry, MA
    Charles E. Schumer, NY
    Ron Wyden, OR
    Maria Cantwell, WA
    Bill Nelson, FL
    Robert Menendez, NJ
    Thomas R. Carper, DE
    Benjamin L. Cardin, MD

Republicans
    Olympia J. Snowe, ME
    Mike Crapo, ID
    Pat Roberts, KS
    Michael B. Enzi, WY
    John Cornyn, TX
    Tom Coburn, OK
    John Thune, SD

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 5
  9. muldrake Member

Incidentally, this is not just the law, but very basic shit they teach you in the first week of contracts. Promises of permanent employment are generally unenforceable. To be enforceable, they must be clear, explicit and backed by consideration. Contracts which can't be performed in under a year also must be in writing or are void. None of that is the case in this case.

To the extent they claim they weren't paid for work they already did, they may have a claim, but suing over a broken promise of future employment is a joke.

Furthermore, they're both scumbags who deserve whatever they get for hiring out as thugs, apparently by their own admission to commit illegal acts like wiretap and record Broeker's phone conversations.

If there's a way for it to happen, I hope for everyone involved in this lawsuit between scumbags to lose horribly.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

It doesn't matter that it's a church. Per the IRS the cos has a 501(c)3 which it got because it was considered a charitable organization, not because it is a church.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Xenu Is Lord Member

Not my point at all. But nice to know.
  12. another123 Member

scandal-rags are getting a whiff.... thumb_UP.gif
    Radar: Blockbuster Scientology Lawsuit: Investigators Claim They Were Paid Millions To Spy On David Miscavige Rival
    • Like Like x 3
  13. YouSeeNothing Member

Makes it more likely that they are in it for the settlement. Load up the suit with lots of damaging shit in the hopes that the cult will settle quickly.
  14. Anonymous Member

Exactly. Miscavige will settle faster than he can say "Debbie Cook". And mind you - that law suit is very generic and not very full on details.
  15. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  16. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

OK, paging IRS. They still think that this organization is operating for the public good and needs to enjoy tax exempt status? I surely hope this party will be over soon.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

20. Anonymous Member

^^^^ Interesting line of potential evidence, the costs generated in the international airtravel they took. Were these out of pocket expenses, reimbursed later, or paid/booked by scientology staff?
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

Daily Mail are on the money, they ALWAYS pick up on kooky $cientology stories, every time.

And they have a huge online readership now, global.

Lots of tabloids get their prospects from the DM website.

Let's hope this is the start of a massive multi-claimant suit, and a wave of revulsion that will sweep that dwarf-like slapper David Miscavige up onto a witness stand in a court of law, in the US or Europe.

This shit is ending, hard.

One day very soon it will fall flat and quickly, and we'll have all the missing pieces.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Anonymous Member

Very glad that dailymail.co.uk gave Tony Ortega a link. They very rarely do that. Radar did the same. It's a good sign, meaning it's a good story, plus - it might bring Tony back to the Scientology blogging scene. I miss his relentless reporting, even though all the other media outlets called him "Scientology obsessed". Well, somebody needs to be, otherwise nobody reports about Scientology.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

Welcome to WWP!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Anonymous Member

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. wolfbane Member

We all miss his relentless reporting. But peeps need to keep in mind, a freelancer needs to get paid. A blogger gives it away for free. And mighty fine journalist like Ortega deserves to take the step up from click whoring alt weeklies and get more traction in the big city daily paps and national mags. The Dallas Morning News was a damn good start for that step.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Anonymous Member

Dallas Morning News is a great paper, the biggest in Texas. But of course, they would probably want Tony to write articles that are related to Texas, not just general Scientology articles.
    I honestly doubt Tony will become a free-lancer. He is doing that book of his and I bet some good magazine will pick him up for his editing skills.
    People on WWP know him as a great blogger and a journalist, but what everybody is forgetting - he ran the Village Voice for 5.5 years. His predecessor survived 6 months, and the one before him - 2 weeks.
    Tony is an excellent editor, and I'm sure others out there in the journalistic field know it. However, if Tony gets an editing gig with some big magazine - it will mean bye bye Scientology blogging.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Random guy Member

If those PIs are worth their salt, they will have kept records, perhaps even a bit of extra dox from when things starting going badly. They are PIs after all.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  28. failboat Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Anonymous Member

fify
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. RightOn Member

well one thing for sure, if DM ever does show up in a court room (if he is not too busy that is) we know he will have the loving support of his wife Shelly Miscavige being present in the court room. right?
    oh wait......
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  31. whitesand Member

If they paid their taxes as self-employed independent contractors, which I think they did, they have all the receipts for write-off purposes. That audit trail will show when and where they were following Pat Broeker, and be admissable as court evidence.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

Funniest of all would be if Broeker testified that, "Oh, yeah, I knew they were shadowing me, typical of Miscavige, etc.". I'd PMSL.
  33. Anonymous Member

The irony would be palpable.
  34. Xenu Is Lord Member

Seriously, every public figure who speaks at current Org Openings, needs to get a copy of this article and the Debbie Cook article, faxed to them.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  35. DeathHamster Member

I'm sure that CoS has those files kept safe and hidden just in case he is a contender.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  36. JohnnyRUClear Member

Yep; he was much too busy not beating up dozens of his executives -- and he's got their affidavits to prove it.
    • Funny Funny x 5
  37. Anonymous Member

"Mr" Miscavige, by default, also disclaims knowledge of his wife's whereabouts (she used to be right next to him constantly, for 20+ years). Who are you going to believe?

@PIs: please please please subpoena Mrs Shelly Miscavige as a material witness.
    • Like Like x 2
  38. PeeTeaEssence Member

The kind people
    Have a wonderful dream
    David on the guillotine
    Cause people like you
    Make me feel so tired
    When will you die ?
    When will you die ?
    When will you die ?
    When will you die ?
    When will you die ?

And people like you
    Make me feel so old inside
    Please die

And kind people
    Do not shelter this dream
    Make it real
    Make the dream real
    Make the dream real
    Make it real
    Make the dream real
    Make it real
    • Winner Winner x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

It's coming for DM like George Washington, and DM is the British Children.

• Like Like x 1
  40. RolandRB Member

No problem. The City of London Corporation gives the cult 280K GBP per year (approx $450K per year) of British taxpayers money in the form of mandatory (charitable) non-domestic rates relief, all of which is siphoned off to the US as "owed to other churches", so that should cover it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-private-investigators-spy-church-rival.html
    • Like Like x 5