Customize

COMPLETE Press Release: Clearwater business petition MAN HARPOONS!

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Girlontheinternet, May 13, 2008.

1. Consensus Member

Re: Press Release: Clearwater business petition

I'm also having the admins try to turn off auto-parsing for this forum. It didn't work.

We will definitely want to double-check our URLS in our final version. Until then, we don't need to sweat it too much.
  2. Re: Press Release: Clearwater business petition

Well, there's working links in this thread so it doesn't matter too much. I found them and fixed them already.
  3. Consensus Member

I lied. Here's some edits I made.
  4. Skeptic1337 Member

We need some fact checking on the original injuction...I really just guessed at the March 10th date.

Grammar needs some polish too, heading out for a bit so tossing that out there.
  5. Consensus Member

Yeah, definitely need fact-checkers as much as we need writers and grammar/spelling nazis. We want our press releases to have credibility, so every one we write has to be accurate.
  6. XenuLovesU Member

This just in:

Clearwater merchants upset over anti-Scientology protests - St. Petersburg Times

Comments section open.

Time to finalize and launch the press release harpoon, methinks.
  7. Consensus Member

Scilon or not, I now have a hardon for this guy. Did we ever actually confirm HIS connection to the cult? Seems entirely possible the petition was dropped off at his office, and he forwarded it the mayor or news or whoever got the online copy for us. We need to figure out what actually happened and re-write the part of the press release that implies he was involved in this effort.
  8. XenuLovesU Member

If I understand correctly, the Paul Gibson trail goes something like this (research credit goes to womanon):

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-breaking-news/anonymous-stifles-clearwater-businesses-13738/7/

Fax # belongs to Paul Gibson's office

His background info according to his bio on the Clearwater gov page:

Councilmember Paul F. Gibson

Before he was a Realtor, he worked for Food Cart Systems

Northpinellas: They agree on taxes. That's it

Food Cart Systems is a WISE business

AFAIK -- there are no service completions in the database for him... but his employment history leads directly back to being president of a WISE business. Don't know if that's enough evidence for a reporter, but I'd presume the president of a WISE company has to be drinking the Kool Aid.
  9. XenuLovesU Member

Totally unrelated, but man -- Paul Gibson gets around. Intellius shows he's lived in:

10. Skeptic1337 Member

Yeah the connection for working for a WISE business and being a scilon is a bit sketchy I say dump that all together.
  11. XenuLovesU Member

Agreed. Any reporter interested enough is going to come back and peek at these threads anyway... and they can do the digging on their own. Don't want to risk screwing with our credibility. It's enough to know that we need to keep an eye on this cat. We can keep digging on his background in the meantime.

EDIT: Crap... on the "clear" list:

Scientology Clear List, Auditor 157, circa March 1979

Clear 10,821 PAUL GIBSON

(given his age -- now 59 -- that's within the realm of possibility)

No way to tell if that's THIS Paul Gibson though. Best to leave it out until we can nail it down. Won't hurt our press release.
  12. Skeptic1337 Member

Yeah...I would say we need to update with it being denied and thanking Clearwater for their common sense.
  13. XenuLovesU Member

THIS IS THE FINALIZED VERSION OF THE PRESS RELEASE

14. Consensus Member

Brilliant! Change the lead to "The Church of Scientology in Clearwater Florida has once again failed to impede the rights of US citizens to free assembly and free speech." and double-check the citations (I'm too drunk, presently) and I vote 'finished.'
  15. XenuLovesU Member

Updated previous post to include lead. Do we have a go?
  16. XenuLovesU Member

p.s. whether we have a "go" or not... I'm fucking gobsmacked by how many people have pitched in to research and pull together this press release. Honestly, it blows me away to see how fast we can dissect, research and respond to crap like this... in any language, anywhere.

Great work -- EVERYONE.
  17. exOT8Michael Member

Huh, what, Starbucks blog?
  18. XenuLovesU Member

Meh.

We could go back-and-forth over this forever. Lacking any huge bitching, I sent the press release to the SPtimes (with the suggested first-line edit).

Feel free to raep/flame me if that was bad... but lacking any other critical comment it sounded like it was time to pull the trigger.

Haven't sent it anywhere else though. If it needs more work... friggin' do it and spread it around.
  19. maggie Member

It might be a good idea to check on that Paul Gibson fax number - does more than one office share that fax? Who has access to it? I can't see Paul or any Council member faxing their own stuff.

It will benefit us to be very careful about making accusations; but at the same time, it could have been mentioned that the fax came from "a Council office fax machine."

It also might be a good idea to provide some examples of the pattern of behavior alluded to in the press release. Remember, the more work you do for the editor/reporter, the more likely your release is given attention.

Pointing out the previous injunction against LMT members and the orange dots episode, both of which happened in the last ten years, would have made the release very powerful and would have taken about seven minutes to provide links. The downtown CW businesses that put up the flyer about Shawn Lonsdale happened in the past 2 years.

Either way, since Council didn't respond, it's a non-story at this point.
  20. Skeptic1337 Member

Nice work dude...sorry sleep beckoned and it reads fine.
  21. XenuLovesU Member

Heh. No worries. I conked out (er, passed out) right after firing it off to SPtimes.
  22. Re: Press Release: Clearwater business petition

I can also send this down the wires using a freebie press release releaser... Just say when.
  23. XenuLovesU Member

It's good to go. Fire your harpoons!
  24. Consensus Member

it's on the enturb main site press room nao
  25. Re: Press Release: Clearwater business petition

Would it be reasonable to ask for a mod to edit the title to say that it's complete and it's time to man the harpoons nao?
  26. XenuLovesU Member

27. XenuLovesU Member

Cool! Thanks :)
  28. maggie Member

Re: COMPLETE Press Release: Clearwater business petition MAN HARPOONS!

Suggestion, please pardon if it already exists, but...has anyone made a media list to send press releases to? Shooting one off to Farley at the Times is great, but let's not forget John Sugg at the Atlanta Creative Loafing - he used to be editor for CL here and knows about Scn. Also local CL editors, and do a search for names of reporters/editors/columnists at the Trib, Times, network TV and radio network news affiliates, CNN, Sentinel-Bulletin, etc. etc. who have ever covered a Scn story, and send it to them!
    Don't forget Richard Lieby - I think he's at the Washington Post now. He wrote extensively about Scn when he was a reporter for the CW Sun, before it folded. Mark Ebner is also a good one, and the guy at the Village Voice, TIME magazine, LA Times, Nightline and BBC Panorama producers. And Stephen Colbert...
    Since this is a free speech issue, cc Rebecca Steele who is an ACLU attorney in Tampa office.
    And please, please, don't forget to call or write your ELECTED OFFICIALS!
  29. Anon'66 Member

Re: Illegible signature (#21, Groupware International) - probably a deliberate ploy on their part. The majority of the key people ARE Scientologists, including the 2 V/P's and the Director of Finance.