Customize

Company Trying to Copyright Anon Logo

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by anon walker, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Anonymous Member

2. grebe Member

So it sounds like M. Auffret is granting everyone permission to reproduce, without any restrictions, the logos and credo that he registered in France.

Ok maybe one restriction:
    No unwanted pizza orders.

Do any lawyers around here understand what M. Auffret is talking about? I would have thought a Creative Commons registration would be the way to go.

No doubt M. Auffret is honorable. However the sexy gold digging fiancee he is about to marry is plotting to poison his soup and sell his assets to the highest bidder, namely David Miscavige.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. anonymous612 Member

So here's a thought. If he really wanted it to protected for everyone to use, why the fuck didn't he just release it under an unrestricted Creative Commons?

He claims to be in touch with French Anons. One of them should ask him that.
  4. Anonymous Member

AFAIK, none of french anons here have ever been in touch with him or his team.
  5. anonymous612 Member

Interesting. I have no idea what percentage of french anons use WWP, though.
  6. exOT8Michael Member

French anons do keep up with this forum and sometimes contribute.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. anon walker Moderator

I thought it was already registered under Creative Commons?

And I read that as "in touch with French Onions." It must be lunchtiem.
  8. anonymous612 Member

Of course. But not all of them. If the poster doesn't know of any (assumably WWP) french anons this guy has spoken to, that doesn't mean he hasn't spoken to one the poster doesn't know. That's the point I was making.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kilia Member

Anyone ask Nono the Clown yet?
  10. Krautfag Member

That might be a good idea. He isn't exactly an Anon, but might be a good ombudsman if he wants to do it.
  11. grebe Member

I know, right? But he says
    By "current case," I wonder if he means his registration of Anonymous logos or some other recent legal case involving a Creative Commons license. If he means his own case... well that seems strangely circular. It's like he said, "Anonymous logos aren't safe from people who might privatize them, so Imma privatize them to protect them!"

If you can trademark something with a Creative Commons copyright, doesn't that make a Creative Commons copyright useless?

I am assuming it is possible to find the headless suit image on a web page with a Creative Commons mark pre-dating M. Auffre's trademark registration.
  12. Cyber Null Member

13. amaX Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. anonymous612 Member

The fact that Creative Commons was used doesn't forsake the original creator's ownership rights, it specifies them. My protest photos are under CC, but that doesn't mean someone can come along and use one as their business logo.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. grebe Member

I am guessing that M. Auffre did not say anything in his application for trademark about the Anonymous logos being used for several years now all over the Internet and irl under a Creative Commons license.

I'm also guessing that the person handling the application simply queried some large database they have of existing marks, found nothing, and so granted the registration.

Yet there must be a way of notifying the appropriate official that a mistake has been made, that a trademark was recognized that was already in use. This is where I need a lawyer to help me understand this process.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

I've just done a lot of searching for a followup to this, but almost all of what turned up was just the old story being repeated.
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Kilia Member

Thanks for the update, Wrong Guy.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. unicornz Member

This isn't gonna end well. Nobody is gonna pay the lawsuits that insue, because people know this is bs.
    This is hilarious that this even happened. It would be even funnier if they were actually a part of us.
    Like hell anyone's gonna take down the anonymous logos, etc, this is gonna be ignored like crazy.

edit: apparently, he filed the copyright, etc, so that nobody else could do it. He said that there is a NO BAN thing on it which means that it is a free to use item. In a sense, he did us a favor.
  19. Anonymous Member

What's needed here is a shoop of a merge between Troll Face and GF mask

[IMG]

HyeIc.jpg
  20. grebe Member

IANAL but I think copyrights can be sold. So the motives of the original person doing the filing may be irrelevant.
  21. anonymous612 Member

And the fact that he said it was free to use doesn't mean he has to stick to that.
  22. Anonymous Member

vjOXq.png
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 4
  24. dmarksbarber Member

this isn't going to go down well.
  25. PREACHER Member

i agree