Customize

Community and Moderation discussion [Added POLL]

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by sue, May 24, 2010.

?

Which of the following statements are true to you ? MULTIPLE CHOICE

Poll closed Jun 2, 2010.
1) Moderators need to take an active and neutral role in discussions. 78 vote(s) 61.4%
1) Moderators should not post and only infract, ban or move posts. 13 vote(s) 10.2%
2) Moderators should troll less. 52 vote(s) 40.9%
2) Moderators should troll more. 35 vote(s) 27.6%
3) Forum users should do their part on making the community better 98 vote(s) 77.2%
3) Only moderators can make the community better. It is their responsibility. 9 vote(s) 7.1%
4) O$a, Dav1d Miscarriage punchbag are wordplays i can appreciate, they add value to one's comments. 33 vote(s) 26.0%
4) Insistently repeating O$a, Dav1d Miscarriage punchbag is annoying and should not be encouraged. 54 vote(s) 42.5%
5) Flaming each other on the forums helps prepare someone for dealing with bullbaiting. 37 vote(s) 29.1%
5) Flaming each other over non issues, has no value, is unpleasant and should not be done. 62 vote(s) 48.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Anonymous Member

Re: Community and Moderation discussion [Added POLL]

Wait, what, are you leaving? I'm just starting to build up my anagram list again...
  2. Re: Community and Moderation discussion [Added POLL]

Well it's several things.

Because of the glimmers of hope that are still here (NY, Hamburg, some other stuff from time to time). Thank you for above anons for pointing this out, since Annie seems to have overlooked it.
    and
    Obsessive compulsive disorder
    and
    Hope dies last.

Also, this thread could be a sign that site operators are aware that this site is not all it could be.

Finally, allow me to quote some modern wester poetry:

If I let you go I will never know
    What my life would be holding you close to me
    Will I ever see you smiling back at me?
    How will I know
    If I let you go?
  3. Hicks Member

Allright, then don't. And while you're at it, could you please stick to the topic?

Kthnx.
  4. Anonymous Member

I don't really get what all the fuss is about. I'm not seeing any serious problems.

The site is fine, lern2play.
  5. Anonymous Member

Just because you don't think there are problems doesn't mean everyone else is fine with the way things are going.

Here's the problem. We need new people. We desperately need new people actually. When this all started there were a large enough number of users that you could do things like scream lurk more at new people or prevent them from posting because the community was already large enough to be dynamic and vibrant. That isn't the case any more. We can't afford to discourage or turn away new people any more. And there are plenty of people out there that aren't going to put up with a week of forced lurking just for the privilege of posting on some internet forum.

The problem with this is that it assumes that there is one "thing" that the community wants. There are different people here with different goals and who favor different methods of achieving the same goals.
  6. Ann O'Nymous Member

I respect your opinion, but i still disagree. Perhaps a one day latency could be enough. IMHO, this site is not for impatient people.
  7. Random guy Member

I personally find this idea bad. At least from my POW (I don't read all the subforums, so take it for what it's worth), there seems to be just as many old hands doing the derailing too. I do not think you will solve the problem of tinfoil, OSA-calling and derail by giving newbies a latency.
  8. Ann O'Nymous Member

FTR Never said it was my purpose. There are various problems to address. I proposed this for some of them.
  9. chrisanon Member

I don't assume there's one thing the community wants; that's precisely why I'm so nervous about mods enforcing a single agenda. One of WWP's the biggest strengths is that so many different kinds of people have a stake in telling the world the truth about Sci and bringing down this vicious cult.

I'm counting on the fact that different people here want different things and I believe users have a big role to play in determining the direction of the site. That doesn't mean I think mods have no role to play; it just means they can't save the site by themselves.
  10. BLiP Member

Saving from what? Do we need to "clear" the trolls, SP-Declare the derailers, bring ethics in on the tin foil merchants?
  11. chrisanon Member

I mean maintaining (or re-creating) the site as a fun, interesting place to accomplish the goal of ending the cult.
  12. BLiP Member

Fair nuff - I'm with you on that. But what, exactly, do you think, is the problem?

Not enough users - well that's a symptom of the fickle and transitory nature of the internets. Anonymous, for the moment anyway, is no longer trendy and has lost a lot of its appeal to the yoof market which, in its ceaseless rushing from one sensation to the next, has largely moved on.

Over zealous, inconsistent, clique-driven moderation practises - yeah, probably has a part to play but those suffering butt hurt fail to understand the nature of message/board culture where, like it or not, mods are gods. There are ways and ways of saying the same thing and its just a matter of framing comments in such a manner so as to avoid the moderation filter.

Trying to please all the people all the time and still be appreciated - yep.
  13. Anonymous Member

You go ahead and do that. At this point in time we should just make some sensible adjustments. If a mod has to spend half an hour to write someone up, then maybe the rules are to difficult from them to understand? We need to stick to doing our best and not give up hope. Scientology orgs are messing up all over and the dis-affections with the Church as a mafia is obvious and their members are getting informed. We on the other-hand, may slow down a bit, but this gives we a chance to observe our own cracks. The stats are that Scientology has contracted, the public is more informed than ever before, and anonymous polish its own skills. We also learn new things all the time to help combat the intergalactic evil doers that have infected our planet. If thou art worried about infractions, then thee must be a dumb-ass anywayeth.
  14. Crappy Member

I'd rather say, if it takes them half an hour, the system needs to be optimized and streamlined.
  15. Hicks Member

1. Who said the mods wanted to enforce any agenda?

2. Save the site?
  16. Uncle Remus Member

I would say: read Skep's post on the issue.
  17. Hicks Member

Yep, some interesting points were made, while I can't speak for everyone I can safely say for myself that I have no intent of controling people's behaviors. My only goal as mod is to keep the site readable and drama free as much as possible.

P.S: I also moved skep's post in this thread as I thought it was relevant here more than in the dome.
  18. Anonymous Member

fify, slowpoke
  19. Re: Community and Moderation discussion [Added POLL]

Lol... we have an agenda?

Also... I could care less about people's behaviors...

I just try to minimalize drama/spam here.
  20. Anonymous Member

lolironyudoubleposter
  21. Re: Community and Moderation discussion [Added POLL]

I know... leave an ADHD kid on sugar access to a button and causalities shall be made...
  22. Hicks Member

Send me pm with examples as I'm incredibly lazy right now, or I'll check later.
  23. JohnnyRUClear Member

Finally finished reading this thread.

I think this place is pretty good as is. Looking forward to the comment rating system; I've only seen one on one other forum, and it appeared to be working well there when I stopped participating (for unrelated personal reasons, not due to anything on that site).

Here's a random brainstorm idea: what if thread creators were granted limited mod powers over their threads? Then if someone wanted to steer "their" discussion in -- or, for that matter, away from -- a particular direction, they could. If butthurt grew too tall, another thread could be started by the crybaby/-ies to accomodate their failwants.

Eh?
  24. Hicks Member

This could end up with OP clearing anything that disagrees with his point of view. I personally don't like that idea very much.
  25. Anonymous Member

Except hockeys refs don't make the rules. In fact, they get shitcanned for acting on arbitrary whim and trying to force outcomes.
  26. Ann O'Nymous Member

It is good to have janitors making the efforts users are not willing to do...
  27. chrisanon Member

The mods do enforce an agenda; precisely what that agends should be is the topic of this thread, and also the subject of the forum rules.

Agenda is a neutral word. Here's your agenda:

That's an agenda.

That's also what it sounds like to me-- like saving, or preserving, the site.

It sounds to me like mods, and many users, feel that WWP is headed in the wrong direction/has already has arrived in the wrong place, and changes need to be made or else

1. new users will no longer join
    2. only trolls and moonbats will join/remain

I would call steps taken to address this problem "saving" or "preserving". I guess you wouldn't.
  28. Hicks Member

Here is my agenda :p

7jGyt.jpg
  29. Anonymous Member

I have been browsing WWP mostly as a guest lately. The infraction system (yellow card, red card) is not visible from a guest point of view. This might be useful guests that are unfamiliar with WWP to understand what crosses the line. It might make lurkers feel a little more welcome and not feel like they are watching a battle of who could care less. Not sure if it is a big change or not. x-posting to the moderation thread.
  30. Anonymous Member

31. Anonymous Member

skeptic for mod
  32. Anonymous Member

What are they teaching kids in history class these days?
  33. DENNY Member

Well they teach kids normal stuff... its not the schools... it's the drugs...
    I'm on a lot of drugs... but anyway....
    I'm only understanding a percentage of this thread, but I agree there could be improvements.
  34. chrisanon Member

^^THIS^^