Customize

Church of Scientology launches marriage rights bid

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, Oct 24, 2012.

1. anon walker Moderator

It hasn't evolved since Source died in 1986, so that is 16 whole years of "evolution."
  2. judgedredd Member

I couldn't stop laughing at this one (the crossed out stuff ...)
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. RightOn Member

rolls eyes.
    they are not recognized as a religion in the UK, so how can their building be deemed as religious?
    Isn't that the gist of it?
    Just shameless PR to be recognized as a religion?
    WAHHHHHHH we are being discriminated against in a country that doesn't recognize our quack mumbo jumbo as a religion.
    Are any Scientology marriages legal anywhere?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

Yes. My legal Marriage Certificate in US states married in Church of Scientology. Awkward since I left Scientology years ago.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Gottabrain Member

OMG how embarrassing! :eek: And I thought I had it bad when for years I had to put down 4833 Fountain Avenue as an address for a resume and say AOLA stands for a training school. :p

It's sad I tell ya, whythefuck can I still remember that address from 25 years ago? gobsmacked. ghosts of scn in our personal legal dox and resumes...
    • Like Like x 3
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Judges stumped over whether Scientology can be ruled religion - The Independent

By Emily Dugan

Supreme Court Judges were unable to decide whether services in the Church of Scientology - the cult of choice for Tom Cruise and other Hollywood celebrities - should be considered religious worship.

The discussion in the highest court is the culmination of one couple’s five year legal battle to marry in a Scientology chapel in London. Louisa Hodkin, 24, first took the Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths to court in 2008 after they said she could not marry her fiancé there because it was not a place of worship.

A decision in yesterday’s Supreme Court hearing was delayed so that the Registrar had time to send in further evidence on whether it should have been deciding at all what constituted a religious ceremony. A ruling is now not expected until October, after the summer break.

Continued at
    www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/judges-stumped-over-whether-scientology-can-be-ruled-religion-8718060.html
    • Like Like x 5
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology case has judges debating the meaning of religion | The Guardian

Last paragraph:

The court has reserved judgment. At the end of the hearing, Lord Lester tried a note of religious reconciliation: "Nirvana," he explained, "is a state which an individual attains, the state your lordships attain quite often at the end of a case."

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/18/scientology-case-judges-religion

Case details - The Supreme Court

www.supremecourt.gov.uk/current-cases/CCCaseDetails/case_2013_0030.html
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Anonymous Member

The judges are trying to decide what is or is not a religion. Judging by the article, most of them seem to have no clue that scientology is a money making scam and that this case is all about the company sucking more money out of UK taxpayers.

This will not end well.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. theprofitlrh Member

The scilons claim that
    How long have they claimed they have been doing this?

A Google search only brought up a page on Scientology dot org

11. Malory Member

Do the Nation of Islam recruits have to recite this prayer as well?
  12. EveStropping Member

In Edinburgh they have an Academy of Independence or some old codswallop which I used to pass from time to time when I studied there but I wasn't aware there was a church too. It's based in the old What Every Woman Wants shop, on the two upper floors and the street below is an area full of street drinkers and self medicators. It's the perfect setting for one of their Narcononnny joints if they had the sense to realise it.
  13. DeathHamster Member

It's the "Hubbard Academy of Personal Independence". As for Narconon, the alarm bells go off when they try.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. EveStropping Member

About two years ago they applied to Edinburgh City Council for a permit to place a stand at the foot of Leith Walk, again another area where the street drinkers hang out along side the self medicators. Council refused naturally.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. DeathHamster Member

Bah! And Pickles strongly said that they shouldn't be getting that at all. Once again CoS uses an exception in one place to bootstrap their efforts elsewhere. Do they have a fix in against some London old boys club?

Lester is an idiot.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DeathHamster Member

Is there any way to get a copy of the Pickles letter to James Strachan (or at least one of his clerks)? The argument that CoS gets charitable rates relief (or they'll sue) from the City of London should not be allowed to stand unchallenged.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/15/government-councils-tax-breaks-scientology
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11554738
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...ns-bid-to-marry-in-Church-of-Scientology.html

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...iving-tax-breaks-to-scientology-winrar.64325/
    • Like Like x 4
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Neil Gaiman’s Nephew Fights for Scientology Marriage Rights in the UK | The Underground Bunker

We’ve been getting a lot of mail from readers about an interesting legal case happening in London. We first mentioned it last December, and now it’s reached a fascinating stage: The UK’s highest court is having a hard time deciding whether or not Scientology’s churches are “places of worship.”

Before you assume that this is a major legal showdown which will effect the very existence of Scientology in England, put down the cans, step away from the e-meter, and take a deep breath.

Actually, the case is a bit of a stunt, it may hand the church in England something of a PR coup but will hardly stem the tide of its poor numbers there, and it will certainly have no effect on Scientology here in its home country of the United States, where this case would never happen.

Let us explain.

Continued with open comments at
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/07/21/ne...ts-for-scientology-marriage-rights-in-the-uk/
    • Like Like x 2
  20. DeathHamster Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/letters/letters-private-equity-buys-into-blood-8726492.html
  21. Tony o didn't mention that Peter hodkin is cunt.
    Volunteers for Osa and is there lawscum.
    Did I mention he's cunt?
  22. DeathHamster Member

That was brought up in the comments, but I don't think they mentioned that he's a cunt.
  23. Anonymous Member

And it should be pointed out that Peter Hodkin being a total cunt, trumps the Neil Gaiman connection.
  24. Glad someone mentioned it.
    As to hodkin, the word cunt is encoded in his DNA.
  25. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. Nice.
    Handy that a former sci minister posts here now.
    Should poon a couple of uk papers with this.
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. wolfbane Member

29. Anonymous Member

30. Random guy Member

31. wolfbane Member

32. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 1
  33. Seen this shit before in AU. Its how they started their backdoor pursuit that had them ultimately get recognition as a "religion" downunder. They started out via "The Marriages Act" that lead them to the High Court challenge about a decade later.

If you want some batshit boredom, read the complete High Court ruling that scientology scraped through by their chinny chin chin chins.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/s...h of the New Faith v Commissioner of Pay-Roll

If only the "Psychological Practices Act" werent repealed and the Crown got there shit together in VIC, Scn in AU would still be FUBAR.

34. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  35. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  36. Anonymous Member

Twitfag convo continued, seems like a) Church Times screwed up. And b) we will not hear moar on the Hodkin marriage case appeal until October.

stowetweet2.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  37. The Gaiman family is up Scientology's ass. If Neil Gaiman wasn't a paying Scientology member, these Scientology soldiers would disconnect him in a flash.
    • Like Like x 3
  38. The Internet Member

So the young Scientologist couple must live in sin?
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

UK woman wins right to marry in Scientology chapel | The Associated Press

Britain’s highest court has ruled in favor of a woman who wants to marry in a Church of Scientology chapel.

Louisa Hodkin had gone to the U.K. Supreme Court after a High Court judge ruled that Scientology services were not “acts of worship.”

Five judges on Wednesday ruled in Hodkin’s favor, saying that confining religion to faiths involving a “supreme deity” would be “unacceptable” religious discrimination and exclude faiths such as Buddhism and Jainism.

The ruling said since the Church of Scientology holds religious services, its churches are a “place of meeting for religious worship.”

Continued here:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...cef880-625b-11e3-af0d-4bb80d704888_story.html

UK Supreme Court says Scientology is a religion, allows wedding | Reuters

http://news.yahoo.com/uk-supreme-court-says-scientology-religion-allows-wedding-105858191.html

Scientology wedding approved after court says London chapel is place of worship | The Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/11/woman-wins-marry-church-scientology
    • Like Like x 1