Customize

Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Anonymous, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

Date: Saturday, September 11th, 2010. The second Saturday of the month, like usual.

Time: Noon to 3 p.m. Well, that's a rough approximation. Noon is around when the first people start showing up, and by 1 p.m., most people have arrived. The party goes until we run out of gas, which is sometimes around 3 p.m., but sometimes people want to stay longer. Naturally, you can come and leave as you wish.

Which place would you guys like to do this month? Millennium Park again? Near the Chicago org? I don't recommend being in front of their building until if/when the legal issues can be resolved, but there's always the nearby intersection, like we've done before. Please chime in with your location preference if you plan on coming.

Of course, other planning details, chit chit, questions, etc. can also go in this thread.
  2. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

Gonna abstain from the question of location, because I'm happy to go to either spot.

Check out ChicagoSaysNo.tk - it's being set up as a new local/backup forum. People are still testing the water and seeing if it's fit for use, but you can poke around there in the meantime. Even if you're not interested in it, I'd suggest bookmarking it so you have it handy in the case that WWP goes down.

Also, I wanted to respond to this post from the last planning thread but don't want to bump it, so here goes:
    /brofist

You think you'll be able to make it out this month?
  3. Dra Member

Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

I should be able to make it again (may be a little late). Millennium Park is closer for me, but I can hop a bus or train easily too.
  4. attackgypsy Member

September 11th? Are you insane?

Pick another day. Not that day. BAD idea to protest anything on that day. Especially since we've been called "cyber-terrorists".
  5. Anonymous Member

If your referring to September 11th attacks, I'm not seeing your logic on this. Is there a reason no one should protest anything on this date?

And?
  6. attackgypsy Member

My meaning is this...

This one particular day of the year, every law enforcement group in every major US city is going to be on a heightened state of awareness.

And with the CoS dirty tricks department doing what they do, its asking for an incident. One that will get completely blown out of proportion. And with law enforcement essentially on a hair trigger that day, it could be very, very bad.

If I were the CoS, I'd cause something to provoke an incident. The PR alone from it would send my stats through the roof.

It just seems like asking for a beatdown, if you ask me.
  7. Anonymous Member

I can see Co$ trying to baw, bitch, and moan hoping to use the tragedy associated with that date to fuel rash actions of law enforcement against their enemies. But then again, I don't think the police are retarded to beatdown on people or go fucking crazy at the drop of a hat just because people are exercising their 1st Amendment rights on "9/11."

Perhaps people might be more confused or less in the frame of mind to deal with activists of different causes, sense 9/11 is still strongly associated with the attacks on the WTC?
  8. Anonymous Member

ITT: The terrorists have won.
  9. Paladin Member

Hello! I am new and this will be my first protest. I will meet you at any location. I will have a mask but will need to borrow a sign until I create my own.
  10. Anonymous Member

The Anonymous group demonstrations around the world have not been stopped by staged incidents. It hasn't worked, and it won't work. Are you expecting Scientology to fly a remote-controlled airplane into their own building and then blame it on us or something? What specifically do you think they could do?

You clearly don't think much of our police if you think that all it takes to sic them on innocents is to point a finger at someone and call them a terrorist. Especially a group with a track record of entirely peaceful demonstrations.

But if they want to wail about terrorism, they can try. Haters gonna hate. Scientology cries bullshit about the masks, hate crimes, the KKK, and all that stuff too. How has that worked out for them? Should we stop wearing masks too?

I'm pretty sure the victims of 9/11 would not have wanted the country to be paralyzed on every anniversary for decades. I personally don't think it would be inappropriate to spend the day with a quiet moment of remembrance for the lost and then exercising freedom of speech, a celebrated American right, while helping to expose a dangerous fraud.
  11. Anonymous Member

Addendum - if you want to suggest we should pick another date for another reason, I could understand that argument. You could argue that some people out there, on that day, might view everything a somber remembrance, tend to be more preoccupied, and be less likely to go out. I could understand those arguments.

But cancel the date because you're scared of what Scientology might say? In my opinion, that's weak. It's allowing fear to let them win without even trying.
  12. Anonymous Member

^^^^This.
  13. The Blue Jay Member

Yes I can no exceptions.

Especially since Halo Reach comes out 3 days afterwards XD
  14. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

I can sort of see why there would be controversy over the date, but I'm fine with doing the 11th if that seems to be the group consensus. Life goes on and all that.

Millennium Park seems a little simpler for the out-of-townies to get to. But whatever.

Not sure if any others noticed, but WWP is now up after another day or two of downtime. Not to sound like a broken record, but remember ChicagoSaysNo.tk in the case that this site goes down for weeks or months at a time. Can't scatter us!

Get ready to be raged at over microphone by 12-year-olds. 2ymukab.gif
  15. The Blue Jay Member

yep I've been practicing my auto mute skills :cool:
  16. Anonymous Member

Nobody has any preference on location? Millennium Park vs. the org?

Also, if there's any serious debate about changing the date, we should have it out quickly, because there are people who need to plan to take off work to attend this.
  17. Dra Member

Either place is fine by me. And the date is fine by me too, but I know some people may have some reservations about it.
  18. Paladin Member

I would prefer to go to the org but I will go to the park as well. I have no problem with the 9/11 date. I would not be able to make it on 9/18 but I would be able to go on 9/25.
  19. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

Did you guys see the Minneapolis regional event?

Anyway, since nobody from Chicago has said anything serious about changing the date, as far as I can tell, it's gonna be September 11th ahoy.

Looks like we have one vote for the org and a lot of people who don't mind either way. So, what the heck, why don't we do the org this month? We haven't been there as a group in quite a while, and I'm sure they've missed us. Then we can come back to Millennium in October to rock the masks and hand out candy or something like that. Sounds like an OK plan to me.

I'll check back in a few days and see if anyone else has added input for this month or anything's changed. Then someone will write up some more specific details about the event closer to the date.
  20. Darth Xander Member

To the Org I say!
  21. Anonymous Member

Candy will be provided this month if any demonstrators want to "power up". You get your choice of M&M types:

- peanut (+10 HP)
    - classic (+2 magick spell castings), or
    - peanut butter (grants flight for 5 minutes)

(inb4 Dark Dungeons tracts in response)
  22. metgyre Member

I will continue to say mp for a while for location. actually scratch that. this sept at mp, oct at the org. Speaking of Oct., this is gonna be off topic, but, if anyone wants to go to that regional in minnesota, let me know. My car is finally(!) fixed and can drive us there.
  23. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

You would like the Minneapolis anons. They're badass vikings from the north, only a arctic north with their bagged milk and free healthcare.

And I dunno about you guys, but I'm all mentally set to go to the org. There are a couple people who really prefer to be there this month, plus I think it would be fun to have the group there again.

If anyone can't make the date or finds it hard to get out to their building, and is still interested in doing a mini-gig at Millennium later this month, you can feel free to send me a PM.
  24. The Blue Jay Member

also we need somebody to bring music. Rick's lights out must be exposed to the general public!
  25. Dra Member

I can add it to my mp3 players or send it to someone else if they want it (am going to joke call someone with it today)....
  26. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

Aww yeah, I'm always down for some Rick Astley, even though his new music video makes me dizzy. I might be rocking out on my pocket speakers, but we should also have mini-boombox there if someone brings it. Does anyone want to bring their MP3 player to connect to it? (Miniboombox sports its own jack which connects to where the headphones would plug in.) This is your chance to play music Nazi and force everyone else to listen to your playlist. Just please don't bring a bunch of obscure stuff that nobody else likes. :|

Okay, for the new folks, the org location is at 3011 N. Lincoln Ave. and it's near a 6-way intersection:

w8rqqv.png

There are usually some legal squabbles about where we're allowed to be while protesting (long story), so we usually make our "home base" at the sidewalk corner of the funeral home. That's where I should be by noon.
  27. Anonymous Member

So like...
    September 11th, 12:00 p.m., at the Org on 3011 N. Lincoln Ave., period?
  28. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

Yep, that's what it looks like. Sorry for any confusion as the group worked out a rough consensus.

Thanks for producing the Valuable Final Product of stating our plans simply.
  29. Meatwad Member

Idiot
  30. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

'Sup, dude?

Oh, and not trying to spam up the thread or anything, but someone passed along info that the funeral home isn't having services that Saturday, so there should be nothing to worry about with being on that corner. As well, the courtesy notification to the police is already covered, so they'll know the protest will be taking place. (Thanks to the person who took care of this stuff.)

Not sure if any of the Scientologists will come to talk to us, but we'll bring cool heads. Video will be rolling 100% of the time for safety, as usual. As far as I can tell, all systems are go. Let's just hope most of the rain clears out by midday.

Also, isn't there anyone want to bring their MP3 player and be a deejay?
  31. Dra Member

I'll bring my mp3 players, but if someone else wants to deejay go for it. I have Rick Astley on them already and a bunch of craptacular 80s & 90s music.

Does anyone have any requests? (I have a subscription service so I can get almost anything.)
  32. metgyre Member

holy crap! it's meatwad!
  33. Anonymous Member

Sounds okay to me. Bonus points if some of the songs are danceable.
  34. Dra Member

That's what got most of them on the playlist :)
  35. Anonymous Member

What's the local rules on filming & wearing a mask?
  36. Re: Chicago - September 11th, 2010 - Planning

I will attempt to be there, though I will be around the Fine Arts Building (S. Michigan Avenue) from around 12:30-3:00.. If anyone plans to stay a little later than 3, I shall join up with you. otherwise, good luck everyone
  37. Anonymous Member

Filming in public is legal in Chicago except in certain situations where a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy - common-sense situations like ATM lines, inside bathrooms, tanning booths, etc. If you're just hanging out on a random public sidewalk, you're fine.

The other situation in which filming is illegal is in the case of on-duty law enforcement officers. Illinois is one of only 2 or 3 states where it is illegal to film the police. My understanding is that the ACLU may be challenging this soon, so this part of the law could change.

Masks and other forms of face concealment are legal. In the unlikely event that this gets challenged, someone will be on-hand producing a copy of the docs to the police.

Thanks! I don't know how long the group plans to stay - I'm guessing people are just going to wing it - so if you miss us this month, I hope we see you another time.
  38. 3rdMan Member

You can wear a mask. Cops down near the org may try citing a regulation against some masks (like the guy fawkes masks sense they look "scary"), that is no longer in the books (was taken out in 2005). Though the last protests I was in in Chicago, this didn't seem an issue anymore. Must have finally gotten used to us?

Always bring a camera. Scifags in Chicago may seem tame but after one grabbed the camera of an Anon during one protest, they seem to be stepping up with some teeth. Not to mention they are always calling the cops on us. Filming during protests is good and a good safety net if they try anything nasty or dishonest. After all, they film us all the time.
  39. The Blue Jay Member

The first word I've seen him say in months. lol wow
  40. Anonymous Member

Frickin' rain...