Customize

Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Anonymous, Sep 15, 2010.

1. 3rdMan Member

Re: Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

I see now how your getting from point A to point B with this. That is a ballzy and clever idea you got there. Well I certainly hope you make a difference in favor of 1st amendment rights to assembly.
  2. Anonymous Member

Good idea chifags. But, bare this in mind, you will not be doing this JUST for chanology, but for ALL protesters. Even the unsavory ones like the westboro clowns. Good luck and lulz speed.
  3. Darth Xander Member

I don't know about you, but I think freedom of speech is part of what makes the US the greatest country in the world. As for Westboro, we'll have to see what the Supreme Court says about whether they may be sued for IIED. If yes, then I think that pretty much takes care of them.

As for another comment that this is a ballsy move, I have to say I'm surprised no one else has taken it upon themselves to challenge this ridiculous restriction on free speech. The case law could not be any clearer on this issue. When even the police tell us right in front of the org that its a bad law (at least when applied to Scilons' claim of having all day services), how much easier do you think it will be for the state's attorney and/or a judge to see that as well? I'm actually looking forward to making my case to someone who can actually resolve this issue once and for all (as opposed to police officers who have no such authority).

Maybe folks are concerned about being fair gamed. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not too concerned about that. Anonymous has my back, right?
  4. Anonymous Member

I know that I have your back. Just don't get too cocky. I know that the scilon clowns stepped uptjeir fair game for a couple anons. Who knows, this just might be epic. Just be careful, some CPD can and will be assholes.

Friendly advice from an oldfag.
  5. 9376 Member

Got your back.
  6. Re: Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

7. 3rdMan Member

The easier solution accepted at the time was to party hard at Millennium Park, and frankly it was worth it. We had a ton of successful experiences and reached out to more people than in the neighborhood the Scifags set up in. That area is almost dead compared to downtown Chicago.
  8. Darth Xander Member

Having witnessed protests at both locations, I would have to agree with you about volume. Its not even close. However, I would have thought that in the two years plus since the birth of Anonymous someone would have challenged the Scilons' claim to all day services just to affirm the right to protest in front of the Org for those occasions Anons deign to do so. Especially given all the fun Anons in DC and LA get to have raiding their Orgs.

Beyond the whole "services all day" argument, I'm surprised no one has challenged the 150 feet restriction in any context. That's a pretty broad restriction on peaceful protest, especially when you consider the code only requires an eight foot buffer for trying to talk to someone out of having an abortion. I think its a weaker argument than in the case of "services all day," but still.
  9. Re: Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

Humble suggestion - if anyone's planning on going to Winnesota this weekend, it might be a good idea to start getting your ducks in a row and finalize plans so they can have a realistic RSVP number and stuff. Just sayin'.

In Chicago?

2pyasgi.jpg

Yep. Org's fun too. Both have their advantages, and I'm sure we'll continue to use both going forward.
  10. 3rdMan Member

If you see our vids their org was boring in the past. My experience is we didn't have any reason to challenge it cause it wasn't worth anybody's time, and all the fun we had downtown, raiding their Idle Org application during their zoning petition, and the seminar at the College of Complexes pretty much made up for it.

That said, sense your plan involves an arrest, I highly recommend you insist to the police you are acting on your own accord (if this wasn't addressed already) and that the other Anons stay a good distance, like next to the funeral home. I say this cause police officers can also dislike protests for making them do extra work, and depending on how their day goes, the actions of one protester can be used to justify an arrest of the entire group. I remember one protest in front of their org when a few went in front of the org entrance with a megaphone. The police showed up with a party-van.

Good luck next raidz guys.
  11. Darth Xander Member

Megaphone? Good grief. Was that here in Chicago?

Appreciate the advice. All but one of the cops I've spoken with in front of the Org have comported themselves in a completely professional manner (first one actually suggested someone get arrested in order to challenge the restriction). I intend to make this as smooth as possible for the police as an arrest is just a means to an end. They don't write the laws, they just enforce 'em.
  12. 9376 Member

Megaphone used to be in Chicago. Oh, how I miss it. Silly amplified sound ordinance...
  13. Darth Xander Member

So there have been arrests of Anons outside the Chicago Org? Is that correct?
  14. Anonymous Member

Only if you consider WBM an anon before chanology started.
  15. Paladin Member

I want to thank the Chicago Anons who have been telling people about the dangers of Scientology at Millenium Park. However, I feel strongly that we need to protest at the Org itself.

I am a former Scientologist. I joined Scientology in 1976 when most people didn't know what it was. I was walking by an Org when I first learned about it. I was curious, took their personality test and signed-up for the comm course. I left Scientology after 2 years. I think it is important to protest at the Org so the people who live and work in that area don't make the same mistake that I did.

My friend Darth Xander and I have had many conversations about Scientology and the situation in Chicago before and since we joined Anonymous. I am confident that he understands very well what he is doing. The rest of us simply need to support him. I hope to see as many Anons as possible at the Org on the 23rd.
  16. MrAnonV Member

OMG, i might actually make this one since i'm already taking this day off for a party.....I think........more info soon to come
  17. MrAnonV Member

also.....................WTF HAPPENED TO MEATWAD?!?!?!?!?
  18. 3rdMan Member

No arrest took place, but like I said, they brought a party van, like big enough to put all of us in. I take that as a very serious threat to arrest us all even if it was only a few out of the whole group.
  19. 3rdMan Member

He's still alive. No idea why he hasn't shown to recent protests, but still alive.
  20. Darth Xander Member

Well, like I said, all but one of the officers have been incredibly cool. Given their past ambivalence in enforcing the 150 foot buffer, I think the officer/s will give any other lingering anons ample opportunity to vacate the area before arresting anyone else. Heck, I give myself only a 50/50 chance of being arrested and I'm the one who will be asking for it. So have no fear fellow Anons.

Free Sparrow!
  21. Body Member

I'll be there.

I've been intending to come more often, but you know how school can get.

Oct 23 then. Kisses.
  22. 3three3 Member

we've held this protest over many other events happening on the same date before, such as Celtic fest that one time, just one of the few.
    2nd saturday is always a good date.
  23. Re: Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

He's dead. Baas murdered him.
    [Joke response stolen from 9376]

HOLY CRAP, IT'S BODY! Man, you need to stop being a genius and quit being responsible and stuff. Get with the program and learn to fail at life like the rest of us. 2ymukab.gif

I agree, but it looks like all the plans are set for the 23rd this month. I hope we get back to doing 2nd Saturday in the future though. P.S. Hi again!
  24. Pareo Member

I agree with 3. Let's follow tradition.
  25. Anonymous Member

The thought of breaking tradition this month was mainly based around the regional raid in Minneapolis which is also being held on the second Saturday. Moving the local raid to the third Saturday gives any Chifags that can make it up to Minneapolis a chance to party extra hard.

But for those that aren't able to make it up to Minneapolis but still want to party extra hard, there's always the option of holding a [STRIKE]regular[/STRIKE] epic second Saturday raid at Millennium Park, followed an epic org raid on the 23'rd.

Three chairs, no waiting.
  26. 9376 Member

I most certainly planned my weekends according to the 23rd being raid date.
    Wait... I just realized I made plans around protesting scientology...
    I need a drink.
  27. Anonymous Member

Then too, this is a five Saturday long October. The second Saturday is coming up pretty quickly. If there are any Anons that can't make the 23rd but do want to raid somewhere in Chicago closer to the regular raid date, what would be better, the 9th or the 16th?

Choices, we has them.
  28. 9376 Member

I'm certainly not in for the 16th, the 9th is a big fat maybe. the 23rd is a resounding YES YES AWESOME YES
  29. Pareo Member

I'm in for the 9th.
  30. 9376 Member

looks like I'm in for the 9th, too. Park? Org?
    SS, you goin'? Signs? Fliers?
  31. Dra Member

I hopefully will be there on the 23rd... don't want to miss the epic!
  32. Re: Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

Did anyone end up doing anything today, on the 9th? I hope nobody went out for what ended up being no reason. If there were people who had a fun raid, then great.

I didn't see any of these latest posts in the thread until just now. I was (and will continue to be) operating on the assumption that the big Chicago monthly protest will be on the 23rd. Reason being, I think trying to change it would be hard:

• There was already a rough consensus for a different date, and extra time was allotted for people to check into the thread and give their opinions
    • The whole groundswell of support for moving to the 9th happened in the span of just 36 hours, simultaneous with the site going down
    • The projected new date would have taken place in less than two days.
    I think trying to fight all those conditions at once would inevitably lead to a lot of confusion.

Now, if you're talking ad hoc planning for a miniraid, I'm down with that. I still have an open invitation for those, so if you want to do something on another weekend, float me a line!

2ymukab.gif
  33. Anonymous Member

It didn't appear that there was a push to move the October raid date from the 23rd., only that there were some Anons that expressed an interest in raiding on the regular date as well.

The last minute expression of that interest, followed almost immediately by a roughly 24 hour round of skiddie DDos shenanigans at WWP may have thrown a wrench into those plans. If anyone did raid in Chicago today... EPIC. If any Chifags are raiding in Winnesota this weekend... epically EPIC!
  34. Re: Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

Sorry for misinterpreting anyone or being too quick to chastise (especially when it's my dumb ass who needs to get off the high horse sometimes). I think I read through the thread too fast, misread something, and got confused.

I feel really shitty now for having offended or annoyed anyone. Personal apologies to 3, Pareo, 9376, the anonymous poster, and whoever else.

Anyway, if anyone can't make the 23rd, please feel free to drop me a line if you want to do a miniraid on another date. 2ymukab.gif
  35. Re: Chicago - October 2010 - Planning

Off-topic: Looks like Metgyre made it safely to Minny. You can see him high-stepping it here:

youtube.com/watch?v=MsMusqiFUvo

[Sorry, embedding doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment, have to copy & paste]
  36. 9376 Member

SO YOU CAN GO SIX HOURS TO MINNEAPOLIS BUT NOT ONE HOUR TO CHICAGO!?
  37. esdsdie Member

23rd I can do. I believe I have an exam in the morning. Professor always lets us out way early on exam days. So yeah. I can be there.
  38. Body Member

Well, good thing I ignored all that stuff. 23rd hoooo.

It'd better be epic or else I'm breaking up with SS and 9376 again.
  39. MrAnonV Member

OMG, i just found out that the computers at my school (which i am currently on right now) are hiding behind 3 proxies. YAY!!!!!
  40. metgyre Member

just wanted to let you guys know: i just barely saved chicagosaysno.forumup.com from disappearing into the net. it let me unlock it and post. new forums need to be made where everyone wants to go there, and info needs to be transferred.