Customize

Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Anonymous, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

Chicago's next monthly protest will be held on Saturday, May 8th. If it ends up being anything like previous ones, festivities will probably get started for most people around noon, although sometimes a few people like to get started earlier, so keep an eye out for that.

Other details will be posted as they're decided upon and finalized. The usual major question is where it'll be held (at Millennium Park or the org on Lincoln). I can't decide for the other people, and they usually rest for a while after each event, so it may be a couple weeks before any more specific plans are starting to materialize.

You can also check our previous month's planning thread and postgame thread (in the Post Game Reports section) for a better feel of how we roll. But if you have any questions in the meantime, ask away.
  2. Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

Where do you want to go? I think Millennium sounds strong for that date, because Celtic Fest changed the time of the year they have their event, and they'll be right there in the park on that weekend. So we'll have all the extra foot traffic and fun from that event to feed off of.

Anyone know if Celtic Fest is having any events in which we'd be "in the way" standing at our usual corner? It sounds to me like everything's going to be on the stages and stuff.

I do miss the org a little too, but we may be able to take care of that as well - PM me if you want to miniraid.
  3. Pengu4566 Member

Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

Maybe its because I'm new, but I think Millennium Park would be a good choice, hence the Celtic day celebration being in close proximity. that way we could join in the festivities and protest Scientology with a little Celtic style. :D
  4. 3rdMan Member

Wise Anon is wise.
  5. Anonymous Member

[size=+5]IF YOU THINK OLD WHITE GUYS WITH REALLY HAIRY LEGS IN KILTS ARE SEXY TYPE 55555 NOW[/size]
  6. manly man Member

55555!!!! :D
  7. 9376 Member

itt anonymous is meatwad trying to pass off wearing a kilt again.
    but if I had a kilt, I would wear it.
  8. Pengu4566 Member

55555 =D... in fact, I might just buy a kilt for this event and this event only!
  9. 3rdMan Member

Kilts.jpg
  10. Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

My reaction to the direction this thread has taken:

[IMG]
  11. Pengu4566 Member

ummm is that good or bad? idk sometimes when I get pissed i put stuff together...
  12. Body Member

I should be there this time.
  13. 3rdMan Member

I encourage you to do this in real life cause it will be awesome and you can get rich being the best door-repair man in Chicago.

Have fun during the festival Chifags. This was my favorite one to go to when I was there so have a pint in my absence.
  14. Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

I hear you, brah. Sometimes I go into fits of constructive rage.

4s0goj.gif 4s0goj.gif 4s0goj.gif 4s0goj.gif 4s0goj.gif

What can we do to help make this one fun? Any ideas? Dunks in the fountain? Piggyback rides? Underwater basket weaving? Barbershop quartet singing? Anyone interested in having the hula hoop or bubble wands there, or are they played out?

Also, you gonna post the details, OP, or should I do it?
  15. Anonymous Member

Give me a few days to check some things with CeltFest and inform the park and then I'll do it. If there are any updates or special info I'll include it then.

If I'm ever back in Chicago I have to join you guys sometime. Otherwise git'er done out there.
  16. GreenShoes Member

The annual Chicago marijuana protest is on May 8th as well, except at federal plaza.
    (In case anybody gets confused by the large amount of hippies.)
  17. Anonymous Member

[size=+1]Celtic Fest Info[/size]
    Firstly, a little perspective. The city of Chicago is putting a lot of its own resources (read: $$$) into hosting the Celtic Fest at Millennium Park this year, and it is Kind of a Big Deal. Police and security will be out in full force, and they'll already have their hands full supervising the event. Accordingly, anything that they perceive as giving them extra and unnecessary trouble will probably not be well-received.

From the Millennium Park liaison:

[size=+1]"Though you are welcome to exercise your right to demonstrate, CPD will be less forgiving that day. They will also be in the Park are in large numbers due to the fest. If you do choose to demonstrate on the 8th of May, I want to remind your group to be diligent in adhering to Park regulations. We are going to be very busy and Park security will be assertively enforcing violations that day."[/size]

Just giving you fair warning. This is not to dissuade you guys or anything. I believe they are just trying to cut off any bullshit at the pass. Go and have fun and follow the rules and everything should be fine.

[size=+1]Key rules to be followed[/size]
    These apply to every event at Millennium Park, but especially for this month.

- No amplified sound (speakers, megaphones, etc.)
    - Don't go roaming around with signs and fliers and stuff. Keep your demonstration to the Michigan/Madison spot. Of course, you can go see the events like anyone else, just don't be protesting while doing it.
    - No soliciting ever (don't know why you would, but don't start)
    - This doesn't really have to be said, because I trust you guys, but if there's some sort of unexpected event, roll with it. If say some people from CeltFest go marching down Michigan Avenue unexpectedly, try to make way so you aren't blocking anything. Stuff like that.
    - The usual common sense stuff. Don't litter, block walkways, be a dick, etc.

[size=+1]Events[/size]
    According to a CeltFest organizer, there's nothing going on that would conflict with you guys being at Michigan/Madison like usual. All the CeltFest events are inside the park proper at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, the dance stages, etc. Some of the planned events on Saturday so you're aware of them:

- Parades at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. These start up at Michigan/Randolph and head inside the park (I don't know the exact route, but it won't pass by you guys). I didn't get a figure on the size, but my impression is that they'll be a few dozen people, not close-down-the-street huge.
    - Bagpiping at the Bean at 11:45, 12:30, 1:15, 2:00, 3:45, 4:30.
    - Men in Kilts Leg Contest - 4:45-5:30, Jay Pritzker Pavilion Stage
    - Dance Stage - all kinds of groups. Performances at 12, 12:30, 12:45, 1:15, 1:45, 2:15, 2:30, 3:15, 3:45, 4:15, 5:00, 5:30, 6:15.
    - Jay Prizker Pavilion Stage - various stuff from 2:30 - 7.

And more. Official webpage:
    Celtic Fest Chicago

Go and be merry.
  18. Anonymous Member

Needs moar Caber Tossing....

...because Moor.

2lngjn.jpg
  19. GreenShoes Member

busy day in chicago
    D:
  20. 3rdMan Member

I nominate Meatwad to represent Anonymous for this contest.
  21. Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

Wow, yeah, that's a lot of events. I'm thinking about going to a few of them after we wrap things up. If I could add some recommendations - bring sunscreen, comfortable footwear, and something to drink so you don't die of heat exhaustion. We'd rather have you incapable than dead. (obscure reference)

Nobody mentioned times here yet - I'm doing noon to roughly 3 with a couple of friends like we usually do. We'll have plenty of stuff (signs, fliers, crap to play around with) if you want to borrow some while there. Anything else we need to go over?

Ha. Incoming stoners? 2nq9puw.png
    It's all good, we're used to that sort of thing from the stint at the HipForums.

Well plaid!
  22. AnonLZ Member

The stars in teh heavens have aligned and I will be making an appearance at this fine protest against Scientology. CAN YOU DIG IT?
  23. Anonymous Member

...................__
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(

I remember you. Glad to hear you'll be there. That's awesome. (Unlike Scientology, if you catch my drift.)
  24. Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

If the cupcakes are bad again, I shall commit hara-kiri in shame.
  25. Pengu4566 Member

LOL...Which reminds me, what do you guys think of cake? Possibly individual pastries are bettar? I can always stop at jewel or costco or something on my way there. You guys decide what i should bring! =D
    maybe celtic themed stuff as well? (wink wink CELTIC DAY =D)
  26. Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

My cupcakes are baked and good to go, but if you want to bring more goodies, that's cool. I don't really have a preference about what type of stuff gets brought (cake vs. cookies vs. whatever) - maybe someone else will chime in, but we're not that picky, haha. We've eaten inexpensive things like Little Debbies cakes and liked them just fine, so there's no reason to break the bank.

You may want to consider going with something simpler to eat. One of the reasons I go with cupcakes over normal cake is because they're individually-sized and have wrappers, so there's no need to mess around with a knife, plates, and all that jazz. We also don't have a table at our spot, so that can make things a little awkward. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of protests just plop a cake on the ground and go at it with plastic silverware and paper plates, so we can definitely make do one way or another.

Some people prefer not to eat at the raid but prefer to take the food home with them - if that happens, don't take it personally, it's still delicious and appreciated!
  27. SocksDallas Member

Hope your protest went swimmingly! Did any anons don kilts in celebration?
  28. Dieek Member

I apologize, anon, for I had joined this forum too late to realize there was a protest in the windy city just days before.

How many people showed?

I'd like to show next month, and months thereafter. plz advize.
  29. Re: Chicago - May 8, 2010 - Planning

Sorry, slowpoke here...

Last year we had someone bust out a kilt on Celtic Fest day, but it was not to be this year.

I think we were just shy of 15 total, though not all were there at the same time.

I'm gonna make the June protest thread in a second so the details can be hammered out there.

As far as coming out, uhh, you pretty much show up and be all like, "'Sups guys." We're very friendly, but some of us are a little shy at first and take a little time to warm up, so don't expect a barrel of monkeys right away. Then again, some of us are outgoing too. If you have any questions, you can feel free to ask 'em in the June thread, and someone will answer.