Customize

Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Go Chicago Anonymous, May 3, 2009.

1. Body Member

Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

I'm kind of hoping the guy in the first link is prepared for it or plans on trolling the Scientologist by posing legitimate arguments. The money thing always scares me for the next links.

Also, I guess some of the Congress things got leaked if you want to read them, if you hadn't already.
  2. CBAnon Member

I only copy and post. Thinking about it give me a headache.
  3. Body Member

Heh, I'm just going to pull out random quotes really quickly then. Forgive me if this is a newfag mistake.

tl;dr: About every 3 sentences they have (laughing) thrown in where he started cracking up. Or (chuckle). You know, clearly things you'd want your religious leader to be doing every three sentences. Nothing in this "The Fact of Clearing" lecture is substantial. It's kinda disturbing. It's just haphazard rhetoric that sounds nice, but not very guided, pointed, or substantiated. It criticizes most other things without really offering anything of its own.

This is based off of the first part though.
  4. CBAnon Member

Funny stuff.

Oh, and can someone whos a mod on the forumup board activate my damned account. Doesn't let me log in and it claims my account is inactive. Damn piece of shit.
  5. WindyMessages Member

Chicago Anons FTW.
  6. Kanonimus Member

I was taking a taxi tonight and I went past these tents; it was on Dearborn, I think it was Daley Plaza, perhaps a block or 2 south. They were in the process of taking them down.
  7. CBAnon Member

That would explain why I didn't see them when I check the building earlier. Damn it all. I was in the perfect raid condition today. Even had my emergency raid gear too. Damn scilons. Where the hell is Xenu when you need him.
  8. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

Nooo! We missed the VM's? vzwydi.gif

Thank you, Kanonimus, for the info. We highly appreciate it, even if it wasn't good news.

Edit: CB, I think your account should be fixed on the local boards now. I crossposted your problem over there so it'd get more attention. Kevin Freeman responded, and I think he was implying that it was fixed now.
  9. CBAnon Member

It works. And I'll have to be even more vigilant for those bastards.
  10. WindyMessages Member

We should do something by Navy pier some time >=D
  11. 3rdMan Member

You'll need a permit for that. I tried once and we got the shaft due to other events happening. You can try, of course, if you want to risk being namefagged.

Plus there are issues of accountability for acts by individual members. In other words if someone gets out of line or dead-agenting with nastiness occurs, the applicant is supposed to take responsibility. You'll have to work that out with them. Just be sure you know the rules and regs and how it works.
  12. CBAnon Member

I say we just stick to the org or MP. Less crap to put up with.
  13. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

Just my opinion... In my eyes, Navy Pier and Millennium Park kinda fall into the same category of public demonstration places. As such, I prefer Millennium Park, since it's more convenient to set up, more convenient to get to (for most people), etc.

Personally, if I'm gonna want to go more out of the way, it'd better be for some type of special event, like a Scientology party or something.

But that may just be because I'm a total stick-in-the-mud and less tired of MP than the other anons.
  14. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

Uhhh, apparently we have a possible problem here. If Chicago gets awarded the 2016 Olympics, then the mayor will hold a giant celebration in the parks on the 10th and protest groups without permits "may run afoul of law enforcement."

It looks like we're going to wait and see what happens tomorrow (Friday the 2nd) with the announcement of which city wins it. If it happens to be Chicago, then we'll go figure out what we're doing and/or adjust plans as necessary.
  15. xenubarb Member

That stupid thing is a blight, and the financial/environmental impact on cities who host it is heavy. Sure, you get some publicity for your city. Sure, some restauranteurs, hoteliers, and other service industries make a pile. But the cities often wind up with empty sports paraphernalia and debt.
  16. 3rdMan Member

That is a perfect time to raid, IMO. Just be careful where you hold it. And there is nothing wrong with Anons going in masked and handing out flyers. We did it before during Operation LOLapaloooza and nobody complained.
  17. xerobebop Member

LOLapalooza wasn't the same kind of event, though. I'm still in for the 10th, and the 17th. I'll bring friends both times.
  18. CBAnon Member

I'll be set for the 10th anyway. The next one is now looking a little bit impossible. I'll bring the lightsaber.
  19. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

Chicago Olympics canceled due to scilons
  20. YAHRLY Member

FIXT!
  21. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Guess it didn't matter that Obama tried to lure the IOC to Chicago...
  22. Adanon Member

FTW!

23. Anonymous Member

24. Ogsonofgroo Member

Chicago didn't get the Olympics, in fact was the first city to be dissmissed by the voting panel :D

Breath a sigh of relief guise, if you see/have watched the shitstorm of debt, corruption, social irresponsibility, and just plain fuckery involved here in Vancouver with the Winter Event this last while, good lord, what a fucking farce. Province in going hugely in debt, finances to schools and social programs are being cut to the quick, the residents who live marginally are being shat on, blah blah blah, oh did I say going grossly in debt? Other than warz, few events create so little for people and cost so much, I mean really, 2+billion dollars (we don't have) for a fucking 10 spectacle? *cringe* This while hospitals, schools, social support programs, environmental concerns, get shovelled under da bus.
    Nao, about that cult...............

XP
  25. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

So the Second City comes in second best again. (OK, fourth best in the vote totals.) We got this lovable losers thing down pat! j/k

There were a whole lot of people downtown ready to party... Yeah, so much for that. The sight of the day for me was a woman standing under the awning of a building, seeking relief from the miserable drizzling rain that plagued the city all day. You could clearly see the disappointment on her face as she gathered some of her items up, resting a sign against the building that said, "IT'S GONNA HAPPEN".

Also lol was the sign in a cafe window reading,

[IMG]
    They were all like, Fix't.
  26. CBAnon Member

Always fun times in chicago.
  27. AnonWafflz Member

Hey guys, I might be there if I can secure transportation to the train, I'm looking to get a good quality Guy Fawkes mask online, any suggestions?
  28. Body Member

Most Chicago planning is being done on this forum. You might get a faster response there.
  29. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

Hey Wafflz, hope you can make it out. If you're looking for a mask online, you could use Nothing But Costumes or Anytime Costumes or one of countless other costume store retailers. The search button is a good way to find this type of common question on the forum.

And yeah, this thread might appear pretty sleepy, but most of the talk is being done on local sites. It's not like readers here are missing anything super critical (or else someone would crosspost it here). It's just general excitement.

Good news on the weather front -- with any luck, we'll avoid most of the rainy weather. 2ymukab.gif

See some of you guys tomorrow!
  30. Horatio Member

New Chicago forum due to some drama on the last one.
  31. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

I will be there bringing the fail, starting at around noontime as usual. 2ymukab.gif

Looks like we might even get decent temperatures so we're not turning into ice cubes. We'll see...

My plan for the day:
  32. Body Member

Strong Strength is going to reveal that he is Sheryl Crow?!

I can't wait.
  33. Horatio Member

You're gonna fly?

Fuck ya.
  34. Horatio Member

Attention ChiFags!

We'll be raiding this on the 21st of November.

Use this pamphlet and this essay.

GO GO GO!
  35. Belladonna Member

<3 <3 <3
  36. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

So here's what I was thinking of doing on the 21st, if I have the day free -- no promises yet.

The event starts at 11 a.m., so I think it would be simple and effective enough just to inform people who are going inside about the Study Tech push. We could spend as short as an hour, maybe 10:15 - 11:15 or something, just [strike]chillaxing 4.0 style[/strike] handing out fliers to people attending. Get them in people's hands on the way in, I say. As far as I can see, the Michigan Ave. entrance looks like the only doors that get used much, so we can hang out on the public sidewalk there.

If I get the opportunity, I will make a quickie sign for this event. Just something like,

"APPLIED
    SCHOLASTICS" =
    SCIENTOLOGY
    FRONT

I'm also probably going to consider creating a custom flier for this. Personally, I feel the "Why Masks?" one kinda comes off as tinfoil to uninformed people. (MURDER! SLAVE LABOR!) To me, I worry the message might get jumbled with the Study Tech message, and I also think the length of it may be off-putting to people as well. People are gonna be on their way inside the event and will be busy getting settled; I want to give them something they can read in 30 seconds. Simply a few paragraphs on the Applied Scholastics --> Scientology link might work.

After the hour or so of catching everyone on the way in, I might mosey over to Millennium Park to hang there for a while. It's close anyway, and it seems like a way more entertaining and stimulating way to spend an hour or two more. Take a guess who might be able to bring the music that day! And I'm not talking about that tiny piece of crap that you can barely hear, either, I'm hoping for something 10x better. Dance-off at the park?

We'll see, though. First I have to make sure I can even make it that day. Let me know what you guys are thinking of doing.
  37. Body Member

I vote if anyone demonstrates interest or concern to us, we come back and ask them how it went inside.
  38. Horatio Member

That seems like a good idea. I may have some special dancing planned.
  39. Body Member

I'm probably going to suggest taking a calm approach with fliers. (With friendly banana suit outfit being a must?) I figure, bring a few copies of the essay too. Maybe something like...

-----

Dear Kind Madam,

We're concerned for you because we know Applied Scholastics, a sponsor for this event, is a Church of Scientology front group. Time Magazine's article on the Church of Scientology, "The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power," stated: "Applied Scholastics is the name of still another front, which is attempting to install a Hubbard tutorial program in public schools, primarily those populated by minorities. The group also plans a 1,000-acre campus, where it will train educators to teach various Hubbard methods." You can read more on this specific subject at Scientology's Education Fronts - Applied Scholastics International.

The "Study Tech" promoted by Applied Scholastics is masked Scientology indoctrination. We have a 30 page essay written by Ph. D. David S. Touretzky (from Carnegie Mellon) backing up this statement. It can be found at http://www.studytech.org/study_tech_print.pdf. His essay analyzes evidence (using passages and side-by-side comparisons) showing that "Study Tech" is pulled directly from Hubbard's Scientology texts, but intentionally excludes words directly related to Scientology.

We're also concerned that MC Lyte is promoting this event. She has been a confirmed Scientologist since 2003. (Celebrity Scientologists: MC Lyte featured in Celebrity Magazine) While we are not opposed to Scientologists or their freedom of religion, the connections to Scientology in this event that includes discussions from "Chicago Public School professional developers" cause us to act against what appears to be an infiltration of religious indoctrination into the secular institution of public school.

Please understand that we are in no way against the empowerment and encouragement of women. We simply would like to raise your awareness of these concerns in hopes they will protect you and the Chicago Public Schools being baited into the Church of Scientology.

-----

Opinions? /moralfaggotry
  40. Re: Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City Megathread

Body: I like it, probably gonna use it as an outline for the flier I'll be making later this week. Might throw some tweaks in though. I'll try to post more really late tonight, after I finish a bunch of RL stuff, and then ask for feedback again. Also, check your PM's if you haven't already.