Customize

Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Go Chicago Anonymous, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

Due to a forum bug, the ability to update the original post on the previous Chicago Planning Megathread was lost. Please keep monthly protest planning in this new thread from now on, and I will continue to update the OP as appropriate. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks!

[mod]it is not a bug, posts can not be edited after a certain period of time due to trolls and spammers abusing the function [/mod]
    Chicago, Illinois -- The Windy City

Where cool stuff happens.
    a088ch.jpg
    [SIZE=+1]Next Monthly Protest Info[/SIZE]
    For the latest info, keep your eyes peeled on the latest posts in this thread and on the local Chicago forums.
    Date: Saturday, February 13th, 2010
    Time: Most of the group should get going around roughly noon or so. Of course, you can come and leave whenever you wish.
    5nj67t.jpg.png Newcomers are welcome! Drop by and say hi to us, and see if you want to stay for a little while. No commitment, no billion-year contracts here.
    2efn61v.jpg
    [SIZE=+1]What to do[/SIZE]
    - Hold signs
    - Hand out fliers
    - Talk to people
    - Dance like a fool
    - Do fun stuff -
    Be awesome
    anzbpu.jpg
    [SIZE=+1]What not to do[/SIZE]
    - Accidentally clog up the walkways
    - Leave garbage, drinks, discarded signs, etc. behind after the protest
    - Be a stupid dick
    2vkb5sl.jpg
    [SIZE=+1]Stuff you should consider bringing[/SIZE]
    - Mask, disguise, and/or costume to conceal your identity
    - Sign and/or fliers to help get the word out. If you don't wanna lug your own, we usually have people who show up with lots of extra signs and fliers for you to use.
    - Camera (video or still) to capture interesting stuff. Chicago often has an amazing photographer that comes out with us too.
    - Other things to pass out, like candy, flowers, whatever.
    - A drink, and maybe a straw if you wanna sip it without removing your disguise
    - Anything you need for the weather (sunblock, long underwear, umbrella, boots)
    2598nww.jpg
    [SIZE=+1]Common Questions[/SIZE]
    How many people do you usually get?
    Lately, about a dozen or so.
    Are masks/disguises legal in Chicago?
    They sure are, as Chicago's anti-mask law was repealed in 2001. But there has been the occasional bump along the way. In spite of the law, there have been a few occasions when Chicago police have told people either demask completely or use only half-masks (bandanas, ski masks, surgical masks, scarves).
    When should I put on my disguise?
    Wherever you want, but generally if you want to be extra safe, we recommend putting it on a little distance away before arriving. You may also want to get clearly away from the protest spot before removing it.
    Do you get handlers in Chicago?
    We haven't had a dedicated handler in a very long time. But they usually run out and try to take photos at some point, so be prepared for that sort of interaction.
    Help, there's a guy taking our pictures!
    That's not a question. Anyway, if you see a guy with impressive-looking photography equipment and a face that has an expression like :}, then don't freak out! He's our photographer friend.
    How should I get to the protest site?
    Public transportation is generally a good idea when possible. If you're driving, be aware that Scientologists and private investigators have been known to follow people to their cars and take pictures of people's license plates to identify people. Not saying it's likely to happen, but it's not impossible either.
    2lv23xe.jpg
    Got any other questions? Ask away. For more info, please keep an eye on the local Chicago forums and in the latest posts of this thread (towards the end).
    Have fun!
  2. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

9376 wrote the following:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://anonymousvalentines.com/valentinesday.html
    I know it's a bit early for a Feb. raid thread, but this needs to be full of <3.

Let the world know that for one day, Anon is love.

That is to say to all the moralfags: Focus on how we try to help our fellow man, because love.

That is to say to all the lulzfags: Gay it up.

I move we have a mask decorating party and gay up our Fawkes masks with <3s.
    I'm going out and getting a few masks and some red, violet, pink, and white paints. I will also get an abundance of <3 stickers and other things that I will later regret buying just because that money could have fed me.
    Paints.
    Glitter.
    <3 stickers.
    Flowers.
    Cookies shaped like <3s.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 <3
    Love.
  3. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

9376 wrote the following:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WE NEED A MASK DECORATING PARTY BEFORE VALENTINES DAY!

Things I can bring to this party:
    V-Day Cards, store-bought
    Construction paper for Anon-made cards
    crayons
    glue
    perhaps a couple V masks, maybe
    could print up some paper V masks to hand out

Things we should have at this party:
    masks
    paint
    glitter
    heart stickers
  4. Anonymous Member

Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

How about this idea? People who are interested can make a (joke) Valentine's Day card and bring it with them. We can put them all in a bag, mix them up, and then people can close their eyes and pull someone else's card out of the mix, kinda like Secret Santa.

Maker of the best card (dumbest, coolest, or funniest) wins... a hearty slap on the back.

Lame? y/n
  5. 9376 Member

I was thinking something more like baking cookies, putting glitter hearts on our masks, and making cards to hand out at the protest. Things like "I Choo Choo Choose You" on one side and "<3 Chicago Anonymous / whyweprotest.net" on the other
    But I'm up for whatever
  6. Anonymous Member

Gay and lame like a homosexual with a gimp leg.
  7. CBAnon Member

So, new thread huh? Works for me. Less to read for newcomers. I say, brace for epic win at the org. I might put a post on CL about it.
  8. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

Isn't that the idea for this month?

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm feeling this cards idea, but I hope to have your valentine's day messages coming loud and clear in a different form. 2ymukab.gif

Looks like the OP says in 2 places for newcomers to mostly skim the latest posts in the thread. I don't mean to speak for anyone, but I don't think readers were really expecting people to wade through 300 posts of old and irrelevant stuff.
  9. 9376 Member

SS, can you upload the Sci Wars video to Youtube as well?
  10. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

It should be there as of last night. (Link: Sci Wars on YouTube.) I still much prefer the Vimeo version though.

I admit I'm a little happy that someone's showing interest in them, even though for most of the events I won't have the time to make them. It'll depend on how swamped I am with work and stuff.

This is great that there's so much excitement for February. If we can power through the winter doldrums and hit the ground running when springtime comes around, I think we'll be in great shape.
  11. 9376 Member

I enjoy vimeo, but more clickthrough exposure on youtube.
    Also, I am trying to work out a place for this party thing, if anyone is interested how does the 30th sound? To me it seems like it would be a good distance between now and raid day without making people travel two weeks in a row, for those who transit in.
  12. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

Wait, there's a party idea floating around? I don't even know if I'm free that weekend or if I'd be interested in going. (Love you guys, but I don't do social stuff.) But right now I don't even know what it's about, haha.

I'm stuck in the dark, cuz I still don't have access to the local boards for various reasons.
  13. CBAnon Member

Wait, party? I'll bring the candles.
  14. Silver Scream Member

Awesome! If I had some more money, I'd go to the raid myself. Chicago is a wonderful place to start protessting against the CO$! Good luck to everybody who is going, and as always, stay safe! Also, the windy city has an excellent chili dog joint! :D
  15. 3rdMan Member

Don't hesitate to create an account and interact with us on our webpage (see my sig). We hope you do join the raidz one day. Also, feel free to google for a Scientology org near you if you want to solo-raid them.
  16. 9376 Member

Yeah, I think a V-Day arts + crafts party is in order, I'm just looking for an accessible place for it to happen.
  17. Body Member

It's not like a "let's get drunk and have sex while throwing up" party. It's like a "let's put heart stickers and rainbows all over everything~*~<3 YAY VALENTINE'S DAY! Let's go girls!" party.

So I'm going.
  18. 3rdMan Member

Don't forget the we &lt;3 Dominic sign.

20050214.gif
  19. Lonevolf Member

Hey, I'm gonna be coming up from Peoria. what's the best way to get there once I enter the city?
  20. 9376 Member

Driving or train?
  21. 9376 Member

Also, for OP edit, Feb. raid will be at the ORG, not MP. Same time, most people will be showing up around noon, some earlier and some later.
    If anyone needs directions to the org, feel free to PM me.

Go directly to org. Do not pass MP, do not collect $200.
  22. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

Done, or it will be done, as soon as a mod can be bothered to copy & paste my changes over it.

I re-lost the ability to edit it due to the stupid forum bug. Doh!
  23. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

I won't be there this weekend, but you can bet I'll be there for the February monthly with bells on.

Horatio, if you see this, can you let me know if you're planning on being there for the monthly with your MP3 player?

Body, please eck-chay your PMs-ay.
  24. Lonevolf Member

I'll probably be taking the train up. Where's the station relative to the ORG?
  25. Body Member

SS, I don't see any new messages. I have the two from Tuesday, and I replied to one.
  26. Anonymous Member

very good op
    lo0ks danm good organisz.
  27. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

Nevermind, it's coo', you got it. I'll reply again in a sec.

Short answer: The El train spot that's closest is Wellington, if it's open. Belmont and Diversey are also pretty close.

Longer answer: If you're coming all the way from Peoria, that's gonna be a pretty considerable haul. I might suggest considering another month, when we're in Millennium Park instead, so the transportation is easier. We might be there in March for St. Patrick's Day, which can be really nuts if the weather is good. Up to you.

OK, that said... From Peoria, you'll end up in the city somewhere. I assume you'll be starting off in Chicago's Loop (downtown, central district). If that's the case, you need to go northwest to get to the org. The least expensive way to get from downtown to there is to take the El(evated) train on the Brown Line. Bring a little cash so you can buy a rider's card.

Look at downtown Chicago on Google Maps at the little stations that say "M". Find the ones with the Brown Line. In the loop, it (only) goes in a counterclockwise circle then heads back north. You can get on it at several points in the Loop, so pick whatever's closest. Quincy/Wells is nearest Union Station (if you're coming from there), but there's also Washington/Wells, Randolph/Wabash, etc.

Go up the steps to the train platform that says Brown Line. In the loop, it's a shared route with 3 other colors. Since the Brown Line only runs one way in the Loop, so you don't have to worry about going the wrong way (yet). Just make sure the train you get on has brown colors on the front and sides so you don't accidentally get on the wrong route. If there's a non-skeevy person standing around, you can ask them politely for confirmation about what you're doing.

Go past maybe 8 stops and jump off at Wellington (if it's open, otherwise Belmont or Diversey). It's about a half-mile walk west to the org from there.

Coming back, the only thing to worry about is that the Brown Line will have two platforms, because you can get on it going either direction (northwest to Kimball or south to the Loop). Make sure you go up to the one with the sign that says Loop. Ride it back to your preferred stop there and jump off. You're done.

I wrote a lot of words, but it's not really complicated if you know what you're doing; I just wanted to be thorough.

Honestly, my first impression when hearing that you were coming from Peoria was to half-cringe (for your sake), because to get from there to the org by trains only is a little bit of a project, and we're not really that interesting, haha. I'm not trying to dissaude you, I just don't want you to be disappointed or anything. Like I mentioned, if you prefer, a month when we're in Millennium will be a degree easier as far as the transportation goes. Hope to see you sometime regardless!
  28. MrAnonV Member

SS is right about coming up later for St Patrick's day, that is if you can only make it once out of the two dates. Thankfully the holiday is the Wednesday after our raid so you'll get to see the river died green.
  29. 9376 Member

Looks like Gayfest Decorating Party isn't happening :(
    I may still gay myself up, but now the festive spirit in my heart is wounded.
  30. MrAnonV Member

1257660688572-1.gif
  31. Body Member

I'll still cum.
  32. MrAnonV Member

i-see-wut-ur-doin-there.jpg
  33. MeganonOT8 Member

when will there be another Midwestern Mega Raid (MMR XD)? I think i would be able to participate in this one! :D
  34. MrAnonV Member

i know there were talks at one time about doing some kind of mega raid if the ideal org ever opens, but right now it's just a warehouse used to store their Dianetic tents.
  35. CBAnon Member

And boxes of books and paperwork. Whether it has anything to do with it the scilons or trash, I dunno.
  36. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

Like the others are saying, there aren't really any plans for one right now. If it were to happen at some point, I'd guess that it wouldn't be anytime soon. Boston's megaraid is coming up in May, and most of us wouldn't want to cramp their style by "competing" with them. As well, after that event, most people will probably want to recharge for a few months before thinking seriously about another big mega-shindig.
  37. Anonymous Member

You're gonna want this.

megax.jpg
  38. Re: Chicago, IL -- The Raid Planning Megathread

By the way, if anyone's down for a miniraid sometime, feel free to shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can do. ("Send me a PM" -Anonymous)

Cool
  39. CBAnon Member

Fail Org Update:

Still nothing new at the fail org other then a new (piece of shit) security camera in the front hall. I guess they are watching the paint chips fall. And they swept the front hall too! Spiffy.
  40. Anonymous Member

and this is the same org they have been planning on opening? talk about lame. you guys doing anything for the 10th? might make it out there.