Customize

Chicago February 13th

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Horatio, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Horatio Member

Chicago February 13th

Great turnout today, bunch of new people and some epic lulz were had.

First the good:

- We got the word out to tons of people and more showed their support.
    - We had a fire truck, an undercover cop and countless cars honk for us.
    - Tons of anons showed up for the protest.
    - Xenu made a visit to the org.
    - We kind of did a conga line past the Org.

Now the bad:

scilon.png
    -One Scientologist (above) grabbed the camera out of my hand, unfortunately he would only give it back if I deleted the footage. I know it sounds like BS but trust me, it happened. I wish it could have happened differently, but I didn't want to start trouble. I know you all will yell at me that I was in my legal rights and he wasn't but oh well.

Maybe I'll give a more detailed summary later, so very tired.
  2. Belladonna Member

Re: Chicago February 13th

Here, I'll help with the lulz. I initially posted this in your planning thread.

3. Anonymous Member

GO CHIFAGS!!!!!!

Obviously you don't have footage of the camera being taken, so no concrete evidence beyond testimony of what happened. Nobody else can say what was best for you to do at the time. It may have been different if you caught something really epic on the footage, and you still have footage of the protest. You kept the interaction non-violent. That is important.

But good show for all that went out there and thanks very much for the vid footage.
  4. AnonTani Member

It's one of those situations that will make you angry when ever you think back, and you'll think of hundreds of different ways you could have acted.
    You did the right thing, it's so absurd that you can't believe it's happening while it's happening, and the anger alone freezes you right? Keep in mind you were dealing with a mental patient.

If it's a card/HDD camera, did you try this?
    Google

Most of the recovery software restores data deleted "the regular way" or by a soft format.
  5. MeganonOT8 Member

beautiful sound! its the sound of win!
  6. Horatio Member

No such luck. :(
  7. Adanon Member

Sure, legally you were in the right but legal position is only one consideration. You chose to minimize the confrontation and that was awesome. We know who was behaving like an asshat and it certainly wasn't you.

What kind of media does your video camera use? Most digital media can be undeleted relatively easily if it hasn't already been overwritten.

Epic Anoniversary raid was epic! This was the first time I've seen the Chi org deploy curtain tech. Evidently they had more windows than curtains. Curtain tech fail. Lots of calls to CPD. Thanks CPD for putting up with them. We know what a pain they can be. Cold temps but sunny and not much wind made up for it. Horn love was "like boom boom, it was like non stop. "

Working on pics but have to go out soon. Will post a few beforehand.
  8. 9376 Member

Dudes, we rocked the shit outta today.
  9. Adanon Member

10. Re: Chicago February 13th

Horatio, I had no idea any of that happened. I'm sorry he was such a dick and that happened to you. Don't worry about anyone who comes in here crying that you did the wrong thing. They were not in your shoes, and you kept what ended up being a non-issue from potentially escalating.

When I went up to film a conversation of this same, camera-grabbing Scientologist with an anon, Horatio came up to me and told me not to do it, because he had hit a camera. Confused, I just responded that he couldn't do that and went back to filming. Horatio, I didn't mean to blow you off like that, it's just that if I know someone is prone to being a dick in that sort of way, I feel that's all the more reason to get them on video.

Eventually, I stopped recording him at an anon's request, but I wonder in retrospect if that was a mistake. Okay, so nothing ended up happening, but I didn't know he was prone to being such an asshat, and in any case, there's no way of knowing beforehand what people are capable of doing.

I sort of feel like we need to go back to adhering strongly to our old rule of filming any interactions with Scientologists. I don't really care if any anon thinks they can handle things fine without it, or if one of Scientologists thinks it's uncivil. The cameras are our tools for safety, and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Okay, so back to the fun stuff: today was pretty awesome. I'll post more in a couple days.
  11. Belladonna Member

You guys are a masterful cell - just want to point out that things are going banana-nuts with Scientologists in many cells around the world so please keep your cameras rolling for your own safety. Thanks for all your beautiful raids.

picture27g.png

Let's be careful out there.
  12. 3rdMan Member

Sounds like you guys had a good raid. All things considered, Horatio handled that bullbaiting tactic pretty well.
  13. MrAnonV Member

i'm going to be making my vid tomorrow, i got the firetruck on camera, along with me screaming like a little girl lol. plus a good conversation with the youtube guy, and other faggish stuff lol
  14. 9376 Member

I am going to start bringing at least a disposable camera to the raids for safety reasons, cause that should have been caught by another anon.
  15. MrAnonV Member

i might have it, i was filming him for a little bit, but i kept the vid off his face so he wouldn't suspect me filming. i'll look at all the footage tomorrow
  16. MrAnonV Member

damn, i hit a snag. my great new computer doesn't have the old firewire input, so i have to run out today and get the new cable, or an adapter.
  17. Re: Chicago February 13th

You Chifags always have some of the best protest signs. Combine that with one of Chanology's top photographers Adanon and you get win after win after win.

In the future two alternative ways to handle that could be to get the cops involved as he had taken your personal property, or just agree to delete the pix then when he gives the camera back pretend to do so by just going through the motions. In the former case the asshat gets told by the cops to return it or be v&, in which case he probably won't try it again. In the later the asshat probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.
  18. Re: Chicago February 13th

[size=+1][ame=http://vimeo.com/9448642]Vimeo: February 2010 Protest[/ame][/size]

Just whipped together that piece of crap quickly. I missed a whole bunch of interesting footage, so I had to make do with what I had.

The place was buzzing. It was a lot of fun!
  19. Re: Chicago February 13th

4354792467_e7d0bc9496.jpg

^ YES! Best picture of the fun train going by the org. (Thanks, AnonAlice!)

So yeah. We had our best turnout in the better part of a year and a half, which was great. It's hard to not feel energetic when there's that many people around. There were plenty of new faces/masks.

It's all about the weather. It was very sunny and not too cold, so there was a lot of activity around. The flier-out count was pretty low (like it always is at the org), due to the modest foot traffic, but we had lots of people honking for us. I can't remember ever hearing that many car horns.

Like an idiot, I forgot the cord which connects the mini-boombox to auxillary devices, so we had to make do with the radio. It put a serious cramp on any dance-a-thon plans. Next month, I hope to make up for this.

We actually got some interaction with a couple Scientologists. Disaster Girl popped out from the org to take pictures from time to time, and the aforementioned Indian guy came by to chat with us again for a little while. The Scientology building was not exactly jumping; there was barely anyone else going into or out of the building.

We had a lot of moxie going. Good times.
  20. Anonymous Member

picture20d.png
  21. 3rdMan Member

Piece of crap? SS your vids reek of win. :)
  22. CBAnon Member

I second this!

Remind me to bring the saber every protest.
  23. Anonymous Member

Well chifags, I'll give you your protests have plenty of win. But why the fuck is xenu there!?!? He was to be at our protest!!!
  24. amaX Member

That's it! Camerafags must now duct tape their cameras to their bodies!

ChiAnons should wear gloves when it's cold. Warm, toasty gloves.

Well done, Chicago! <3

25. CBAnon Member

Gloves are overrated.
  26. Body Member

To be fair, that pic was CB, Horat, and I doing that weird dance thing. That wasn't from our conga line. But ilu don't hurt me.

And it was nice seeing everyone again. :D
  27. CBAnon Member

Dammit body! Why could have them thinking it was us at the org! And I call that dance, the "Temptations Shuffle." The real conga line is in the video. At least it seems YouTube wasn't being a bitch for me. Timing is a bit off, but fuck it.

But TBH, I love where it stopped for the thumbnail.
  28. Anonymous Member

You just had to do it. You know what, FUCK YOU!
  29. Re: Chicago February 13th

Sagely advice, my friend. Thanks for coming, by the way. :D

Oops, I suck. Anyway, you guys still made for one of my favorite pics ever.

Good job getting the conga on video, CB!
  30. Body Member

<3
  31. MrAnonV Member

my plan is to get the cord tomorrow and make my vid tomorrow...
  32. MrAnonV Member

i'll just leave this here

33. Anonymous Member

Can't watch it, it says video is private.
  34. MrAnonV Member

should be good now
  35. Horatio Member

Main Video
  36. Belladonna Member

Holy Chicago Fire Dept! lol
  37. 9376 Member

We seriously need a megaraid out here.
  38. MrAnonV Member

we should do one when they open the ideal org, but we need to wait for the date that they plan on opening it, if they ever do.
  39. CBAnon Member

They'll open when they are at the brink of collapse.
  40. 9376 Member

they're like Krispy Kreme