Customize

Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Strong Strength, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

So what do you guys feel like doing this month? The usual of Millennium Park at noon, or something else?

Also, to address the elephant in the room, what are we doing about our local forum situation? It's still all dead and frozen up due to some accounts not working and any new ones requiring manual activation by the absent admin. Has anyone heard anything from him, or are we just going to have to collectively jump ship?

It's been something like 5 months now, which makes me wonder if this is really going to resolve itself. We are playing with fire in not having a completely-usable backup site; it was a good thing those WWP DDOS attacks only lasted a couple days. Plus, we're being sapped of the ability to form some sort of local "community", which is important going forward.

I think we at least need a Plan B in case of an emergency.
  2. 3rdMan Member

Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Well last I talked to Baas, there was indication Meatwad was still around. But as for his participation in Anonymous, I have no idea. I can't do anything about the forum, which is getting frustrating considering if Chicago Forum has to be relocated (AGAIN!).
  3. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Hmm, that's not good. I think if Meatwad bought a 12-month forum package back in September, then some of the features are getting close to expiring anyway. Not sure what it defaults to if that happens; maybe it goes back to being a free forum and they start showing ads again? But without being able to post there, I'm not sure what value that would have.

Maybe we can perform CPR on the older forumup site (the one with the ads). Although I can't seem to view it anymore... maybe it's been axed due to being idle for 30 days. Double hmm.

On an unrelated note to Adanon - check your PM's!
  4. metgyre Member

i've been wondering where both meatwad and baas have been. last i saw meatwad i believe was feb. i don't think i saw him in any pics since. on another note: due to me basically having full custody of wolverine, i really may not be able to make it down anymore. which is awesome and sad. i guess i'll have to do support over the net. maybe arrange for something here every once in a while. speaking of.... i think it would be totally fun to do a middle-of-the-winter-blizzard-in-wisconsin raid. that would be hilarious. but thats far away.... as for august. my vote even though im not gonna be there is for the same as usual. too many people just lurk now or don't check either forum that if time or location is changed they won't know.

tldr; not gonna make, maybe ever. do the usual. where the fuck is meatwad?
  5. 9376 Member

Pretty awesome rave going on after this shizzniz.
  6. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Uhh... you're probably right. Let's just rock the usual, if that's cool with everyone else. When I'm there at the August monthly, I'll try to see if I can ask everyone to keep an eye on WWP going forward. That way if we want to change up our ruitine or we end up migrating to a new board, everyone gets word of it.

That sounds great, let's totally do it!!!
    ...he said, before proceeding to completely forget about it in the following months.

Face-on-a-stick begs to differ! Seriously though, sorry to hear that, although I'm really happy for you too.

wats a rave
  7. 3rdMan Member

Metgyr. I have a feeling we'll need a new forum in the future and perhaps someone who can manage the Chicago Wikipage. By all means, if you can help with that, that will be a great help as much as any protest. :)
  8. Anonymous Member

In case you fags didn't know, the Chicago air and water show os that same day. If you fags can, try and move to North Ave. Beach. More aircraft, more people. And as a warning, watch the blue angels, if one disappears for more then 3 minutes, get ready to hit the deck. That is all.
  9. metgyre Member

if we do need that, im all for helping manage it. i will be watching you guys and commenting/throwing ideas up
  10. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Adanon - please check your PM's again if you see this!
  11. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

@ Annie Mouse - are you still lurking here, by any chance? Give me a squeak through PM's or something if you see this. Haha.

By the way, we have a couple more Dude I'm Comings* this month.
    *A Dude I'm Coming is a new or relatively new person who pops up and says, "Dude, I'm coming!" Whether or not said dude actually comes tends to be a 50/50 proposition.

That's a good idea, but I worry that we'd still have the potential problem of people not being aware of a change in plans, and there would be the issue of having to work out where we could set up and all that. Personally, my lazybones self would rather just do the usual.
  12. 9376 Member

WOB WOB WOB WUB WUB WUB WOBWOBWOB WOB WOB WOB WUB WUB WUB WOBWOBWOB WOB WOB WOB WUB WUB WUB WOBWOBWOB
    [IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]UN-TSS[IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. Kevin Freeman Member

Who owns the domain Chicagosaysno.com? I have my own domain and what we could do is use http magic to host a forum (I tested it, frames work with my website with forums) OR we make a Chicagosaysno imageboard (just throwing around ideas)
  14. Dra Member

I will try to be there (will be in Chicago for something unrelated but want to protest with you guys).
  15. 9376 Member

Imageboards are notorious for not working very well in Chanology. The nature of them make it especially easy to attack, harder for new members to know wtf is going on, and harder for efficient communications. Also, with chanology's push to distance itself from *chan, creating a clone site would be moot.
  16. Kevin Freeman Member

So, should we use my site for a forum?
  17. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Edit: Whoops, I started writing this at the same time Kevin made his above post.

Yeah, I would prefer not using an imageboard for this particular thing either. They're great for some stuff, but a straight forum is probably cleaner for communicating. I'm hoping for a normal, plain, phpBB-type forum with good spambot protection.

I don't know who has chicagosaysno.com. I used to think I did (someone who hasn't been around for a while), but apparently it's not them. :|

Kev, when you say your site can run a forum with frames, what exactly does that mean? I'm not as computer-literate as you. It doesn't mean your site would have some weird navigation stuff on the left and then the whole forum would be on a frame to the right, does it? You'd just punch in the URL and all you see is the forum?

Also, if worst comes to worst, we can always set up a free forum in like 30 minutes. No biggie. Even just turning back to something like ForumUp could work:

- Ads were hokey (partial solution: live with it, lern2adblock, or get 7 people to chip in $2 each to pay for no ads)
    - No naughty language in public (partial solution: make all forums register-to-view only)
    - Basic functionality was OK
    - Spambot busting seemed good, at least at the time

But I dunno - you tell me, Kev, if your option is better and not too inconvenient for you. You guys would know more about this stuff than me.

Cool beans, hope you can make it. If it doesn't work out, no worries. :D
  18. skryer Member

I might be able to make this one, its been about a year since the last one i went to. >_<
  19. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Humbly requesting that anyone who thinks we should be having this month's gig at somewhere other than Millennium Park to start arguing soon and loud. Cuz I'd like to (re)post the finalized event info soon, for the numerous newcomers who are floating around - I don't want them to think we'll be at the org if we ain't.

Kev, if it's not too much trouble, is there any chance that we could get a preview of your site forum setup or something?

Hello, new-old person!
  20. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

So basically, it's like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-R5GQ0V-Z4]YouTube - Lollapalooza 2009: The World's Best Dancer![/ame]

Still hilarious that we miniraided Lollapalooza that year. Even managed to dodge the rain!
  21. VeritasVincit Member

Alright, first of all, sorry for not making it in june when i first said i would. Stupid surgery decided to get all up in my shit. I'm making to this one or else. Also, has anyone considered yuku for a forum, its free and from what ive seen in a few communities it seems to work well. just wondering if anyone has had any horrible experiences with that
  22. Kevin Freeman Member

My site is messed up, so I am pretty sure it is not going to work.

@Strong Strength: Frames are when you have a Website in a Website.
  23. 9376 Member

SS: Operation: LOLapalooza 2.0?
  24. anonsono Member

I 2nd that.
    Also i pay 99.00 annually for iweb. I can publish sites easy with this. let me know if i can help in creating/designing sites 4 a new chi-forum or anything of the sort.
  25. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Re: yuku forums, I think it could work as well as anything, I just have a minor beef with some of the design. There's always like a full page of junk at the top of each thread that you have to scroll past, plus it looks like it has a bunch of social networking-type stuff which we don't really need.

Re: sono's offer - that's cool of you to put the option out there. I dunno though, I have a feeling it won't really be necessary to go nuts making some great site for like 5 active posters, ha. I think a crappy free forum should do, as long as it doesn't have a color scheme that looks like a horrible MySpace layout. Maybe I'll look more in the next week or two.

I hate when that happens. Brb, surgery.

Uhh, maybe. How much interest do we have for this? Sono, did you want to come too? I dunno, I'll think about it later in the week.

Unless you promise to re-enact the dance the crazy guy did. In which case, definitely.
  26. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

[size=+1]--&gt; This month's protest details &lt;--[/size]

Date: Saturday, August 14th, 2010

Location: Millennium Park in downtown Chicago, at the intersection of Michigan Ave. and Madison St. Note that this is at the western edge of the park, not somewhere in the center of it. Look for people in masks who appear to fail at life - that's us.

Time: Noon is usually when people start trickling in, but sometimes the group doesn't hit full speed until closer to 1 p.m. We go until we run out of gas, which is sometimes around 3 or so, but we play it by ear. Of course, you're welcome to come and leave whenever you want.

Oui: Hold signs, hand out fliers, talk to people, dance, shoot the breeze, etc.

Non: Amplified sound, chalking walkways, clogging up sidewalks, soliciting (why?), alcohol (duh)

What do I need to bring? A mask or disguise if you roll that way, and stuff to keep yourself functional - comfy footwear, a drink, sunscreen, etc. If you want to bring a sign or fliers, go for it; otherwise, we have plenty that we can lend you. (Just please be careful with borrowed equipment to avoid unnecessary wear and tear.) Other stuff like cameras and munchies are optional.

2672803989_f4c8112fd5.jpg

If you're new, you have to make a jump into the Crown Fountain. No exceptions. &lt;-- joke
  27. TheBlur Member

ISN'T THERE SOME COS BUILDINGS IN CHICAGO? WHAT IF WE DO A PARADE OF TRUTH!

Get Some Flyers printed up quick (mini one page hand outs!) I can get them 4 cents a copy or maybe even less.

Eventually, we should Get big "Anonymous" Signs.

one thing the Freaking "Church" has down is "looking the part"

We need to look more then just some street scruff. We need to show up looking as a unit.

All black, or all white,

Nothing over the top,

no "Funny Hats"

Nothing but Masks, And the Truth!

I've spent the past 10 hours researching into this cause, and haven't been able to sleep because of it. I am HIGHLY motivated right now, and theres a good chance that won't be going away anytime soon.

There's way to make noise without Breaking the law!

I mean did ANYONE THINK ABOUT THE FACT WE HAVE NEWS CHANNELS THAT WE COULD STAND OUT SIDE OF WHILE THEY FILM THE NEWS! ALL IN OUR MASKS! THEY COULDN'T NOT SHOW US! WE'D GET EXPOSURE AS WELL AS A GOOD CROWD AROUND US!

REMEMBER WE ARE DOING THIS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE A VOICE YET! DO THEM PROUD!!!!

I say, (and i know I'm new so please take everything i say with a grain of salt if ya need) We Take some action and Show up down town for real! no hang outs, no pussy footing around. If we are gonna Protest lets do it right!

(sorry for my over zealous behavior. I dabble in marketing and promotions> i'm all about getting a message across!)

<S>
  28. metgyre Member

holy crap!!! has noone ever thought of this one? seriously? the frak! thats actually a good idea
  29. TheBlur Member

Plus, There's the Hard Rock cafe that has a lot of traffic buy it. really ANYWHERE on the Magnificent Mile, but more towards "Water Tower" shopping center. You got to think, high traffic, not easy to find. Though millennium park is a good idea, only if there's a festival going on, some event, or its a weekend day.

The best part is We could really make some headlines if we went out later in the day and stayed for a few hours Longer then you're used to.

Also, in case of any "Negative" or "Dangerous" act happening, all Anon. Should have a secondary meeting place they can ditch their masks and just find each other or a buddy system.

Though i haven't Protested a ton, i 've done a lil..... Recon in my day, and honestly I think the more thought out you make these "Intellectual attacks" on the minds of the people Scientology is trying to corrupt, the more serious Anon would be taken!

These are just ideas people, but Feel free to comment or tell me I'm wrong. Always up for a good debate, (Ps if what i'm proposing sounds like work and a lil uncomfortable, Finally We are getting somewhere. Comforts overrated! Let's save some lives and shut this beast down!)

<S>
  30. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Must... not... troll...

[spoiler="Deleted trolling response"]
    Duh.

Lol, a "parade" with like 6 people? That would make us look even more fail than usual.

Holy crap, you're right. We should totally get some fliers and signs. Can't believe nobody has thought of this yet.

I hear that works really well for the VM's with the yellow jackets.

OMG BRO I THINK WE SHOULD ALL SHOW UP IN BLACK SUITS WITH SUNGLASSES AND TRY TO LOOK COOL SO WE'RE ALL LIKE B-|
    [/spoiler]
    Anyway, TheBlur, I like your enthusiasm. My opinions on some of the things you raised...

- Re: signs and fliers, we have them already. Feel free to bring more, though.

- Re: uniformity, i think the closest we're going to get is dudes in masks. Interest seems to have waned in having themes with dress styles. We have a hard enough time getting people to come out as it is; I don't think enforcing 3 different dress codes (ones for winter, summer, and middle temps) is going to help that. Plus, some people just like funny hats.

- Re: noise, at the moment, most of us are on the quiet side. Go ahead and raise the roof if you want to, though. If we aren't at the org, you had better be really good or really funny in order to avoid looking like a crazy, shrieking person. Maybe you have something in mind, I don't know.

- Re: location, sometimes we are at the org for our monthly deal. I suggest you go read up on some of our adventures there. I don't particularly feel like going through the trouble of setting things up to demonstrate on the Magnificent Mile when I think Millennium Park is perfectly good. Speaking of which, it seemed to be the overwhelming choice for location for this month, so that's where I'll be.

- Re: something dangerous happening, the park is very safe. But if there was something wacko going on, security or police would handle things. If you want to buddy up with a friend you know in person, fine, but don't give your info to any of the other anons. It's not necessary, and will prevent you from being outed during times of drama.

- Re: television station, ehh. Right now I don't really feel up to trying to set up there and elbow away all the other people near the glass in hopes of getting 2 seconds of air time. Granted, there are a zillion people who watch the news. Lead by example here, and I might change my mind.

- Other stuff: Not sure what you're talking about with your language concerning "intellectual attacks." I have no desire to intellectually attack anything. Also, not everybody is here to "save lives" or whatever; some are here for laughs and entertainment. Additionally, I believe that the more this whole thing starts to feel like work, the less anyone is going to be interested in participating. Historically, the rah-rah-serious approach hasn't fared too well in this project.

Just my opinion.
  31. Aethrys Member

Hey, I've been reading up on anonymous and the CoS for the past few days, and so far I like what I hear, (About anonymous, obviously) and am considering getting involved. I haven't actively protested before, and probably (read: definitely) won't make it to protest on the 14th, but I will however be around there for the show, so maybe I'll stop by and snap some photos of you guys, if that's alright.

After that, I'll start with some leaflet dropping, which I'll just say I should be in a position to slip some into CoS "Literature" a few times a week, and if I want to get more involved I'll place an order for a guy fawkes mask and try to make the next event.
  32. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Some videos are up in the thread from last weekend's Org visit if anyone wants to see 'em.

Anyone still down for a Lollapalooza visit this Saturday? We can just pop by at noon for an hour or two, or something.

TheBlur, I was just goofing around with some of my responses, but I'm sorry if I was rude to you. I didn't mean to trash all your ideas or anything. Everyone gets trolled here as a way of life, so you can flame me if it would make you feel better. Goodness knows there's no shortage of my personal material to zing me with. :D

I'll think more about the local forum sitch (situation) next week when I get some free time.

NO PICTURES! *BUMRUSHES AND GRABS CAMERA*

No, seriously, that would be cool. Drop by if it's convenient and give us all a brofist/sisfist. Or you can catch us another time or something if it doesn't look it's gonna work out. Whatever, it's all good.
  33. anonsono Member

hey sorry it's taken me so long ot reply. I've been fuck busy. I may be bale to make it to lalopaloza maybe not. i'm having some trouble with my car. either way count on me to be there for the monthly. ill check back in tomorrow. keep on rockin in the free world :p
  34. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Well, I now have plans for Saturday, so I don't know if a Lollapalooza side visit is going to be happening for me either now. Probably not.

I'm just gonna turn my thoughts towards the park on the 14th now. Looking forward to that!
  35. 9376 Member

:(
    Mr. Strength, how do you feel about accepting my cell number so I can get up on a miniraid with you whenever you feel so inclined?
    I'm having withdrawls. Getting-a-lot-of-attention-by-being-an-asshole-in-public withdrawls.
  36. metgyre Member

i've been having those withdrawals for a very long time.....

i might get off my ass and solo raid my org this week.....
  37. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

Mr. Frodo!!!

28mio0g.jpg

Asshole in public? Whatchu talkin' 'bout? You're one of our coolest and most functional people. And definitely one of the funniest.

PM'd a response (or I will within a couple mins of typing this). 2ymukab.gif
  38. esdsdie Member

Mr. Strength, I too wish to send you my celly number. That is okay?
    I might be able to make it, or I might not, because that whole weekend is just busy for me. But I have been leaving "Ceiling Cat" trifolds in random places around school. I don't know if that helps or not.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlkY890J40c&feature=related"]SOMEONE SAID A RAVE?[/ame]
  39. Anonymous Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCIENTOLOGY-REAL-RECEIPTS-87-91-REIMBURSABLE-13Gs-/230508869197
  40. Re: Chicago - August 14th, 2010 - Planning

2i1jhgn.jpg

Mr. Anderson.

Err, actually, the gist of what I PM'd to 9376 is that I don't do that sort of thing. Please don't take it personally; there have been other people who've asked too, and I decline them all.

No problem. God forbid people actually have lives and other plans. :)

Re: rave talk, it reminds me of those D.C. Ideal Org protests that took place in the evening where the people had glowsticks and stuff. Haha.

..........................................................................................

I'm a bit confused what this is about. You think some people here might be interested in the receipts as a souvenir or something? Also, have you considered contacting a place like Ex-Scientologist Message Board where the userbase might be more knowledgeable about the details of actually obtaining refunds? That's a lot of dough, so if it's possible, y'know...