Customize

Chicago - April 10th, 2010

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Anonymous, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Chicago - April 10th, 2010

Chicago's next monthly protest will be held on the 10th of April. (We do the monthly protest on the 2nd Saturday of the month.)

More specific info about it will go here as it gets decided, or feel free to add your own input. Typically, the details materialize closer to the actual event. We usually take a few weeks to recharge after a monthly before thinking about the next one.

If this month's is anything like previous ones, chances are it'll get started around noon and be held at either Millennium Park or the Scientology Org on Lincoln. Again, more specific stuff - stuff like exact addresses, guidelines for new people, etc. - will be posted as the plan gets clearer, but feel free to ask questions here.

New folks (or returning people who haven't been around in a while) are very welcome!
  2. Re: Chicago - April 10th, 2010

Did Chicago have the biggest turnout in the country the past month? Not that it necessarily means anything, but if it helps add to the mojo, then awesome.

Anyway, Millennium Park sounds great to me. I'll probably be there with a friend around noon like we usually do. Free cupcakes for anyone who wants to come out and join us. That offer's valid for any Scientologists too! Hope we haven't seen the last of you guys out there. Are we that boring?
  3. The Blue Jay Member

Re: Chicago - April 10th, 2010

Hey I managed to go to the old chi website by accident. What the hell happened to it? Is it being runned by ad bots only now?
  4. 3rdMan Member

If its the old one, yes.
  5. Anonymous Member

The weather should be a lot warmer for this one! Get out here and join us. Any new folks who wish to undertake a rite of passage may take a splash in the Crown Fountain. Can you dig it?

3807197760_ab44ac6473.jpg

(Actually, they don't turn the water on until May. I just wanted an excuse to post that picture.)
  6. Anonymous Member

You and your water works.
  7. Anonymous Member

3714451276_0bbdde7350.jpg
  8. Anonymous Member

Since Millennium is a go, I should probably post some more thorough information for the new people out there.

Location: We meet at the edge of the park, at the intersection of Michigan Ave. & Madison St. Look for the geeky people in the masks; we're hard to miss.

vg51ls.png

Date & Time: Saturday, April 10th, 2010. The majority of the group starts showing up around noon. Sometimes we have people out earlier, but it varies. If you plan on being an earlybird and you don't want to be alone, you might want to get confirmation from someone else that they'll be there. We stay until we run out of gas, which usually happens somewhere around 3 p.m. As always, you can show up or leave whenever you want.

Stuff to do:
    - Hold signs
    - Pass out fliers
    - Talk to the public
    - Dance, hang out, socialize
    - Stand around making awkward conversation
    - Pretend you're cooler than you actually are
    - Do silly and fun stuff. Bonus points if we get it on camera.

The no-no list - it's Park rules:
    - Don't use amplified sound of any sort (boomboxes, megaphones). After enough people have shown up, some of the people will go to the corner across the street where we can play music and dance.
    - No soliciting.
    - Don't go demonstrating somewhere else in the park. They want us to keep our gig in one spot. Of course you're welcome to go look around the beautiful park attractions, but keep it from becoming a roving demonstration.
    - No dickery. Common-sense stuff - no drinking alcohol, no harassing people, don't be swearing out loud around people's families, etc.

Crap to bring (optional):
    - All you need to bring is yourself.
    - We usually have plenty of materials signs and fliers for other people to use if they wish. Please treat signs gently (don't bang them up, fold them, mess around in a way that risks dropping them) and return any borrowed signs or fliers when you're set to get going.
    - Bring a mask or other disguise if you care about your anonymity. It's always possible a Scientologist will come by taking pictures in an attempt to identify you, intimidate you, open you up to possible further harassment, and generally paint you as a religious bigot or worse.
    - Sign, fliers, camera (video or still)
    - Comfortable shoes, sunscreen (if you burn easily), etc.
    - Cake and/or toys like bubble wands

qq63bl.jpg

Have fun. Got any other questions? Let 'em fly.
  9. Anonymous Member

A few anons who are unable to come to the events are putting up some event flyers instead. The design is modeled after similar flyers from San Francisco. Credit to the photographer of the original pics too.

Preview:

mujtr8.jpg

Here's the full size download wersion if anyone else is interested. Also, if there are any lurkers who enjoy putting up flyers and need fresh material, just give a request and we'll see what we can do.
  10. Anonymous Member

awesome flyer.
  11. Anonymous Member

Mass bubble-creation factory at some point to the tune of Flight of the Valkyries?

Bubble wands provided. Let's do this.
  12. StopHubbard Member

*sigh* If only I could make it... Sounds like a helluva lot of fun, although I do have a question. From past Chicago experiences, were there ever any instances of Bull-Baiting? I just want to know how common it is in Chicago so that I can decide if it is safe enough (in terms of harassment).

Thanks
  13. Anonymous Member

We haven't had any confirmed cases of them trying to mess with us at Millennium Park in a long time. Back in summer '08, they sent one of their OSA volunteers (Domenic Cusano a.k.a. Mustache Guy) out to try to intimidate people; he was OT3-rolled and generally trolled. The park didn't take too kindly to his actions either - they're cool with free speech, but they run a pretty tight and family-friendly ship, and they don't like people purposefully trying to antagonize others. I'm told the next month they were ready to boot his ass out if he started stepping over the line, not that we actually minded having him around to entertain us.

He did indeed come out the following month, but this time he kept to sitting around on a nearby bench observing us with his camera from afar like a bit of a weirdo. Not only was this entertaining in itself, but we were able to send people over to him to ask funny stuff like the Xenu story, why Scientology costs so much money, etc. Also, that was the month the Chicago Tribune reporter came out, so he just ended up looking like a paranoid creeper right in front of her. Smooth move.

Not sure if that's part of why they don't hang out with us anymore, but generally it hasn't worked out well for them when they've tried it.

Oh, and one of their other OSA people (Hi Rebecca!) came by later in '08 with copies of that legal charge against Dmitri whatshisname for DDOS'ing, handing it out to everyone there, as if we had any idea who he was or that he was doing that, and trying to smear us all by association. That sort of generalization makes about as much sense as saying all Scientologists are murderers because OTVII Rex Fowler went berserk, and generalizations are supposed to be a hallmark of a suppressive person anyway, so I guess whoever ordered that "op" is an SP. She wasn't up to sticking around after doing her blow-by anyway.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. But yeah, we don't really get Scientologist action at Millennium anymore. As of right now, an anon is very unlikely to get personal harassment there, and security is always nearby if that makes you feel safer. Bring a good disguise and you should be golden.

tl;dr - Millennium is safe, even safe enough for Anonybabies.

2730053452_cfecd11b29.jpg