Customize

Charleston Church Shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 18, 2015.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Wingnuts React To Charleston Church Shooting With Thoughtful Gravitas We’ve Come To Expect

By Evan Hurst, Wonkette, June 18, 2015

Our headline is a flat-out lie. Wednesday night in Charleston, a white gunman identified as Dylann Storm Roof allegedly sat and prayed with black churchgoers at a bible study for an hour, and then opened fire, killing nine people, including the pastor, Clementa Pinckney, who was also a South Carolina state senator. As he continued to shoot, a survivor reports that Roof said, “I have to do it. You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.” Unless this particular church has a reputation for raping our women and taking over our country, that sure sounds like a hate crime, and we don’t mean against Christians.

<snipped>

...let’s check out Tucker Carlson’s internet home for gay potty panic, The Daily Caller.

A former Obama administration official wasted no time in politicizing a shooting at a black Charleston, S.C. church that left nine people dead.

Brandon Friedman, the former deputy assistant secretary of public affairs at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, posted a tweet shortly after the Wednesday night shooting linking it to South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley’s defense of flying the Confederate flag outside of the South Carolina statehouse.

What Haley’s defense of allowing the flag to continue flying has to do with Wednesday night’s shooting is unclear.

Well shit, let’s think about it. The Confederate Flag is a sad relic of racist shitbag losers (I’M A WHITE SOUTHERNER, COME AT ME BRO) that represents a time when black folks were bought and sold by white people. That’s the only “heritage” it’s about.

Flying the flag of a failed traitor nation what got its racist pussy ass kicked in the Civil War contributes to a climate where black folks are viewed as Less Than.

There's more here:
    http://wonkette.com/588741/wingnuts...-with-thoughtful-gravitas-weve-come-to-expect
    • Like Like x 3
  2. I thought that this thread was dead....looks like I was wrong.

Thank you TWG I was already aware of all of this.

My heart goes out to the families of the poor folks that this loon murdered.

And already they are pointing the finger at the flag...that's a shame.

I have said it countless times but I'll say it again the Confederate battle flag is a symbol and as such it can and will be used in different ways other than it's planed use.
    Because of this happening every one with a Confederate flag will be wrongfully and ignorantly lumped into one group.

Now as for the Texas license plate issue this is a minor problem however I think I should present my opinion on this.

I am not sure if the "racist imagery" bit is your opinion but I would like to point out that that the image of a Confederate flag cannot be "racist" simply because it is an object and not a person and therefore it cannot be racist.

It could only be considered "racist" if the person displaying the Confederate flag has racist motives for it's display

I am now currently working on a Op and I was wondering if you would be interested in working on gathering information TWG.

If not then oh well....
  3. Hugh Bris Member

I think the government is trying have its cake and eat it to. It wants to claim that the license plate is government property and therefore government speech.

But, since Texas offers license plates supporting private companies (hamburger chains are mentioned), that means that the State of Texas is necessarily promoting that private company. So the State of Texas is discriminating on the basis of personal bias, not rule of law.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/25/con...l_mess_whats_at_stake_in_a_texas_legal_fight/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...fuse-to-issue-confederate-flag-license-plate/
    • Like Like x 3
  4. It seems to me that the Government wants these things to happen sometimes.

That just goes to show that when Winston Churchill said “It is the victors that write history” that he was right.

And another historical figure that I admire said “Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.”

Can you guess who said it??
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

The Confederate Flag Isn't Budging From South Carolina's Capitol -- Because It's Protected Under State Law

The morning after nine people were shot to death Wednesday inside a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina, flowers were laid, black cloth was draped and flags at the state's Capitol building were lowered to half-staff.

The fact that the Confederate flag was waving high in the state capital of Columbia hours after suspected gunman Dylann Roof carried out what's believed to be a racially motivated attack sparked outrage.

"It's up there," Will Whitson, a Columbia-based state reporter for Raycom Media, told The Huffington Post Thursday afternoon. "One thing is, I don’t think the flag is on a pulley -- so even if they wanted to put it at half-staff, they couldn’t. And to remove it from the grounds would require a legislative vote."

A large Confederate flag used to fly over the Capitol dome, along with the American flag and the South Carolina flag, but was removed in 2000. However, a smaller version of the flag still flies on statehouse grounds, next to the Confederate Soldier's Monument.

The flag is held in place by a padlock, State Sen. Vincent Sheheen (D) said.

Twitter users Thursday urged people to call Gov. Nikki Haley (R) and demand the flag be removed. By law, however, the flag can't be moved.

The Confederate flag's presence on the statehouse grounds remains legally protected under the 2000 South Carolina Heritage Act, which also stipulates that streets, parks and other public areas named for historical figures may not be renamed without a two-thirds vote from the state General Assembly.

"I think there is a divide about people's perceptions and understanding of what a Confederate battle flag is," Sheheen told HuffPost. "To some people, it truly is about heritage. To others, it is about racial oppression. To me, regardless of which understanding you have about it, it’s still something that divides us."

He said "there are good people on both sides of the issue," adding that the debate about the flag should not be about declaring a right and wrong side but rather about finding a way to unify a state with a "raw history of racism."

"I don’t say 'get rid of [the flag],' because it is a part of our history. But do you want to fly a symbol that’s divisive on our front steps of the state house?" Sheheen said. "Let’s put it in a place where we can tell its story, and thousands of people can see it in a more appropriate place."

Sheheen has been calling for the flag's removal since last year, though Charleston newspaper The State notes challenging the flag is a politically poisonous move.

"If you touch it, you usually die politically," Scott Buchanan, a political science professor at The Citadel, told Charleston newspaper The State in 2014 about the risk of broaching the flag removal question. Sheheen, who made the flag's removal a key part of his gubernatorial campaign, lost to Haley in 2014.

Continued here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/18/charleston-shooting-confederate-flag_n_7613870.html
    • Like Like x 4
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  8. Darth Alor Member

Now thats just mean.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hugh Bris Member

These are all from Lincoln’s first inaugural address, on 4 March 1861.

“I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.”

“Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them; and more than this, they placed in the platform for my acceptance, and as a law to themselves and to me, the clear and emphatic resolution which I now read:
    Resolved, That the maintenance inviolate of the rights of the States, and especially the right of each State to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to that balance of power on which the perfection and endurance of our political fabric depend; and we denounce the lawless invasion by armed force of the soil of any State or Territory, no matter what pretext, as among the gravest of crimes.”

“In doing this there needs to be no bloodshed or violence, and there shall be none unless it be forced upon the national authority. The power confided to me will be used to hold, occupy, and possess the property and places belonging to the Government and to collect the duties and imposts; but beyond what may be necessary for these objects, there will be no invasion, no using of force against or among the people anywhere.”

The first two quotes speak to Lincoln’s deeply held racism, and the last is about the causes of war. To translate, Lincoln is saying “If you don’t pay the tariffs, which Congress just increased, we will use force.”

The following quote is from a letter from Lincoln to Horace Greeley (Go west, young man):
    “My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.”

That shows that slavery was not the reason for the war.
    And I’d say there was racism on both sides of the War Between the States.

and there's also this tidbit:
    Secession from England was how the US started. The South had every right to leave the Union, Lincoln had no right to start a war to keep them. That was, in a word, treason.

*Meaning, the sovereign States of the Union. Which is what Lincoln did, wage war against the Sovereign States.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The problem here you guys is just like I said it’s a symbol and it can be used for different things and that’s good and bad.

And The Wrong Guy you got to understand that this sort of thing is NOT what the flag and us are about.

Shit like this happens and everyone that flies the flag gets put in the same group of bigots that we’re trying so hard to get away from.

That’s ignorance.

I can only show you the facts but I can never get you to except them.
  11. Good job in finding that information Bris.

But this is information that I have posted time and time again.
  12. Battle flag is right

"“He was big into segregation and other stuff,” Tyler said. “He said he wanted to start a civil war. He said he was going to do something like that and then kill himself.”"

https://gma.yahoo.com/charleston-sh...ann-roof-203816813--abc-news-topstories.html#
  13. ravenanon Member

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...arleston-shooting-this-was-a-terrorist-attack

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jeff Jacobsen Member

What on earth is this "good" way the confederate flag can be used? If you can't think of one, I think it's time for some civil disobedience.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

The Daily Show - Charleston Church Shooting

Published by Comedy Central on June 19, 2015

Jon addresses a shooting at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C., that took the lives of nine parishioners.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ersatz Global Moderator

18. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

"It’s time to move the flag from the Capitol grounds" - South Carolina governor | RT USA

South Carolina governor said it is time for the Confederate flag to be removed from the State Capitol Building

It took a mass shooting by a man who cloaked himself in the Confederate flag for there to be movement in the decades-old controversy over the Stars and Bars flying at the South Carolina State Capitol Building.

Republican Gov. Nikki Haley and Sens. Lindsey Graham ‒ a presidential candidate ‒ and Tim Scott ‒ the only Republican African-American in Congress ‒ joined forces Monday to call for the state to lower the Confederate flag to be removed from the Statehouse grounds.

The move is an abrupt and significant about-face in the state, which has resisted efforts to get rid of the symbol from the Civil War which flew over the Capitol Dome from 1962 until July 1, 2000. At that point, the South Carolina General Assembly passed a bill that allowed the flag to be moved from atop the dome and required it to be flown at the Confederate Soldier Monument on the Statehouse grounds. Both chambers of the General Assembly must pass a bill with a two-thirds vote in order to remove the flag from the monument.

The politicians’ statement comes days after a 21-year-old linked to a white supremacist group and who is accused of posting a racist manifesto online in an attempt to start a racial war killed nine people in a shooting spree at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church in Charleston, South Carolina. Dylann Storm Roof, who confessed to the killings, posed with the Confederate flag in photos posted on social media.

Scott is the only one of the three GOP politicians to have previously called for the Stars and Bars to come down, according to McClatchy DC. However, he did not back those words up with action when it came time to vote on a measure to lower the flag in 2000.

Source:
    http://rt.com/usa/268939-confederate-flag-south-carolina/
    • Like Like x 2
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

South Carolina governor calls for removal of Confederate flag from statehouse | The Guardian

South Carolina governor Nikki Haley on Monday called for a Confederate battle flag that has flown on the statehouse grounds for more than 50 years to be removed, in an abrupt about-face as local protesters and national advocates brought intense pressure to bear on the state to make a concrete gesture of healing after the killing of nine African Americans last week inside a Charleston church.

“We are here in a moment of unity in our state, without ill will, to say it’s time to remove the flag from the capitol grounds,” Haley said, speaking in front of dozens of current and former South Carolina officials including former governor Mark Sanford. “One hundred and fifty years after the end of the civil war, the time has come.”

The call was met with applause and cheering by the audience.

“For many people in our state, the flag stands for traditions that are noble,” Haley said. But “for many others in South Carolina, the flag is a deeply offensive symbol of a brutally oppressive past”.

“My hope is that by removing a symbol that divides us, we can move forward as a state in harmony, and we can honor the nine blessed souls who are now in heaven.”

Haley, who is Indian-American, made reference to her own race and to that of Tim Scott, the African-American junior senator from the state who stood next to her, to say South Carolina had shown its progressiveness.

“I stand in front of you a minority female governor twice elected by the people of South Carolina,” she said.

The governor had previously said her hands were tied on the flag’s removal, as the state legislature would need to vote to remove the flag by a two-thirds majority.

“I think the state will start talking about that again and we’ll see where it goes,” Haley said on Friday.

Five days after the shooting at Charleston’s historic Emanuel AME church, the city’s mayor, Joe Riley, said the presence of the Confederate battle flag in front of the statehouse “sends mixed messages” and that the symbol of a failed attempt at secession by the pro-slavery southern states should be relegated to “its appropriate historical context”.

“The time has come to remove the flag,” Riley said, flanked by a bipartisan group of elected officials and civil rights leaders earlier on Monday. “This act will do something very personal and very important to our community, to our country and to those grieving families.”

Continued here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/22/confederate-flag-south-carolina-charleston
    • Like Like x 2
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Walmart to stop selling Confederate flag merchandise | CNN

Walmart, the country's largest retailer, will remove all Confederate flag merchandise from its stores, the company told CNN Monday.

The announcement is the latest indication that the flag, a symbol of the slave-holding South, has become toxic in the aftermath of a shooting last week at a historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina. Gov. Nikki Haley announced in a Monday afternoon news conference that she supports removing the Confederate flag from the state capitol grounds.

Walmart.com currently carries the Confederate flag as well as attire featuring the flag's design, such as T-shirts and belt buckles.

"We never want to offend anyone with the products that we offer. We have taken steps to remove all items promoting the confederate flag from our assortment -- whether in our stores or on our web site," said Walmart spokesman Brian Nick. "We have a process in place to help lead us to the right decisions when it comes to the merchandise we sell. Still, at times, items make their way into our assortment improperly -- this is one of those instances."

Continued here:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/confederate-flag-walmart-south-carolina/
    • Like Like x 1
  23. ItchyScratchy Member

The only confederate flag that matters and should ever be flown in commemoration.

filepicker%2FSmUkT70KSkmYzsqFbe7W_white_flag.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Police bought Dylann Storm Roof Burger King after arrest | Salon

Dylann Storm Roof was hungry when officers pulled him over in Shelby, North Carolina, according to the city’s police chief Jeff Ledford. Storm‘s only food that day had been water and a bag of Doritos bought at a nearby gas station that morning, and he had since become peckish. So, the cops got him some Burger King.

“He was very quiet, very calm. He didn’t talk,” said Ledford. “He sat down here very quietly. He was not problematic.”

<snipped>

Images of Roof’s arrest depict police officers respectfully leading Roof from the police station in a bullet-proof vest. We now know those police officers bought him fast food. He killed nine people.

Unfortunately, Freddie Gray, Eric Garner and John Crawford III were all killed before the cops could offer them their free meals.

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/22/police_took_dylann_storm_roof_to_burger_king_after_arrest/
    • Like Like x 2
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Alabama Governor Bentley removes Confederate flags from Capitol grounds

On the order of Gov. Robert Bentley, the Confederate battle flag which stands at the foot of the confederate memorial on the state Capitol grounds was taken down this morning.

Two workers came out of the Capitol building about 8:20 a.m. and with no fanfare quickly and quietly took the flag down. They declined to answer questions.

Moments later Gov. Bentley emerged from the Capitol on his way to an appearance in Hackleburg. Asked if he had ordered the flag taken down, the governor said, "Yes I did."

Asked his reasons for taking it down and if it included what happened in Charleston last week, the governor said, "Yes, partially this is about that. This is the right thing to do. We are facing some major issues in this state regarding the budget and other matters that we need to deal with. This had the potential to become a major distraction as we go forward. I have taxes to raise, we have work to do. And it was my decision that the flag needed to come down."

Bentley said before he made the final decision he checked to see if there were any impediments in the law or state policy that would prevent him from taking down the flag and found none, so he acted.

After the battle flag – which is at the center of the controversy – was gone, workers began removing three other Civil War era flags.

They are the First National Confederate Flag, commonly preferred to as the "Stars and Bars;" the second flag is the Second National Confederate Flag, more commonly known as the "Stainless Banner;" and the last flag standing is the Third National Confederate Flag.

About 90 minutes after the battle flag was removed, about a half dozen workers removed those remaining flags.

Continued here:
    http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/06/confederate_flag_removed_from.html
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Random guy Member

I guess it was just a matter of time.
  28. White Tara Global Moderator

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/natal...nse-to-the-charleston-massacre_b_7657674.html
    A nice piece
    Snip;
    • Like Like x 2
  29. eddieVroom Member

• Like Like x 1
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

8166538_G.jpg

North Charleston police chief fires officer for Confederate Flag photo found on Facebook | WCIV-TV Charleston

A North Charleston police officer who posted a photo of himself wearing Confederate Flag boxer shorts to Facebook has been fired. The photo spread across the Internet on Thursday after the post had been online for a few days.

Police Chief Eddie Driggers issues a termination letter to the officer, Sgt. Shannon Dildine, saying the photo undermines the officer's &quot;ability to improve trust and instill confidence when working with our citizens.&quot;

&quot;Your posting in this manner led to you being publicly identified as a North Charleston Police officer and associated both you and the Department with an image that symbolizes hate and oppression to a significant portion of the citizens we are sworn to serve,&quot; Driggers wrote.

Dildine has ten days to appeal the decision.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/29411...or-confederate-flag-display-found-on-facebook

AR-150629550.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Confederate flag raised again at South Carolina Statehouse after woman climbs pole to remove it

A woman climbed a flagpole and removed the Confederate flag from the South Carolina Statehouse Saturday -- only to be arrested and have the banner raised again less than an hour later.

Brittany Ann Byuarium (Bree) Newsome scaled the 30-foot pole using a harness just after dawn as officers yelled for her to come down on the Columbia grounds, organizer Tamika Lewis told the Daily News.

"You cannot get to me with hatred and oppression and violence," Newsome shouted from the top of the pole, according to video. "I come against you in the name of God. This flag comes down today."

Newsome, of Charlotte, N.C., took her time climbing down, citing prayers as she did so. When she reached the bottom, State Police took the flag out of her hands and arrested her.

Another North Carolina activist, James Tyson, held the pole to make sure Newsome didn't fall, Lewis said. He was arrested alongside Newsome as a group of onlookers cheered off camera.

The 30-year-olds were charged with defacing a monument on state Capitol grounds, a misdemeanor that can bring a $5,000 fine and up to three years in prison, a state Department of Public Safety spokeswoman said.

Newsome and Tyson are part of a group of about 10 activists who orchestrated the flag's removal after a white supremacist allegedly slaughtered nine people at "Mother" Emanuel AME Church in Charleston on June 17.

"We didn't see it fit to have the flag stand erect while the people who were massacred were laid to rest under it," Lewis said.

The group planned to keep the flag in a box without defacing it as the funerals for the victims are held this week, the youth educator from Charlotte, N.C., said.

But State Police confiscated the flag immediately, and workers put it back up before 8 a.m. -- plenty of time before a planned rally by Confederate flag supporters drew dozens. Similar rallies were also held in Alabama and Florida.

Continued here:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...e-flag-s-statehouse-grounds-article-1.2273299

The Daily Edge ‏@TheDailyEdge 3 hours ago
    South Carolina asks a black state worker to raise the Confederate flag again before the 11 am white supremacist rally.

CIg9dyOUAAAEkEH.jpg

Michael Moore ‏@MMFlint 3 hours ago
    Friends of @BreeNewsome - I will pay her bail money or any legal fees she has. Please let her know this.
    #Charleston #TakeDownTheFlag

Michael Moore ‏@MMFlint 2 hours ago
    After 45 minutes down, the Confederate flag was back up in South Carolina.
    Who's going to be the next person to #takeitdown?
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...SITE=AP&amp;SECTION=HOME&amp;TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    • Like Like x 3
  32. Random guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  33. Random guy Member

Political analysis of why earlier racially motivated incidents failed to ignite a similar reaction to the flag:

Quote:
    More at:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...weakened_confederate_flag_support_127116.html
    • Like Like x 2
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

general-lee-flag.jpg

General Lee From “Dukes of Hazzard” Losing Its Confederate Flag

0dcd4f5db70cf6ec8b118fddd4b2b0be22eb31a7.jpg

Say goodbye to the General Lee as you’ve always known it. In the wake of the deadly South Carolina shooting and the decision by several major retailers to stop selling merchandise featuring the Confederate battle flag, the toy spawned by the hit TV series “Dukes of Hazzard” that became a Southern icon wearing those colors will no longer be produced.

Continued here:
    https://www.yahoo.com/autos/general-lee-from-dukes-of-hazzard-losing-its-122294326432.html

Justin Hyde ‏@Justin_Hyde Jun 26
    Already making the rounds:

CIb-4S9WUAAyQo1.jpg

Justin Hyde ‏@Justin_Hyde Jun 26
    15 minutes of Photoshop fame, I always knew you'd find me someday.
    • Like Like x 4
  35. Disambiguation Global Moderator

I wish we still had the "lol" button.
    • Like Like x 3
  36. meep meep Member

dukes-bulge.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  38. ~Andromeda~ Member

There is an agenda. Its all in these details. One has only to step back to view the larger picture. We've been warned. For those that have not seen the memo, in short, wise men forsee the coming danger and take precaution.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

In all what details?