Customize

CCHR raid Feb 8 Jefferson City MO ATTENTION KANSAS CITY AND ST LOUIS

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by anonsoulless, Feb 2, 2010.

1. anonsoulless Member

CCHR raid Feb 8 Jefferson City MO ATTENTION KANSAS CITY AND ST LOUIS

CCHR is seting up a display in the Missouri capitol building rotunda.

Anonymous will be on site to counter their mis-information.

WHERE: The steps of the Missouri capitol building. Google Maps in Jefferson City

WHEN: February 8th 11AM to 4:30PM

IMPORTANT:

We are NOT allowed to hand out fliers

We are NOT allowed to have signs on sticks

Be aware that it is against Jefferson City code to wear masks on CITY property but STATE property, IE the Capitol building, is just fine.

We are there on a permit so be on your absolute best behavior. Watch your language, be courteous, don't freak people out.

It would be best to have CCHR related signs. We need to make it clear why we are there and make it clear that CCHR is Scientology.

It is going to be cold so dress warmly.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: CCHR raid February 8th Jefferson City Missouri ATTENTION KANSAS CITY AND ST LOUI

Why We Protest | Activism Forum - View Profile: marlysfan has gotten a permit for this

Since fliers are not allowed, I suggest making WALLOFTEXT signs - think elementary school project presentation placards - which explain things, and also regular signs with serious slogans and lulz.

Placards should be family friendly, unlike the CCHR presentation. School groups will probably be going through.
  3. MeganonOT8 Member

Re: CCHR raid February 8th Jefferson City Missouri ATTENTION KANSAS CITY AND ST LOUI

do we have plans on doing this, maybe this coming sat?
  4. anonsoulless Member

I'll make one here.

Walls of text kind of have to be printed out anyway.
  5. mongrel Member

Re: CCHR raid Feb 8 Jefferson City MO ATTENTION KANSAS CITY AND ST LOUIS

Lookie here... we'll be having a little welcome back party for the senators.

senate.jpg
  6. anonsoulless Member

Awesome.

Are you coming?
  7. anonsoulless Member

The Citizens Comission on Human Rights

is owned and operated by

The Cult of Scientology

Today inside the capital building you will find a presentation by an organization called The Citizens Commission on Human Rights, or CCHR. This organization would like you to believe that they are merely a group of citizens concerned about abuses by psychiatrists. They are in fact a propaganda organ of the Church of Scientology.

Scientologists believe, as strange as it may sound, that 75 million years ago, an alien tyrant named Xenu, with the help of psychiatrists, rounded up billions of his subjects, threw them into volcanos on Earth and exploded the volcanoes with nuclear ordinances. They believe that the ghosts of these aliens, or Thetans, are what cause all physical and spiritual problems in modern humans. Because of this, scientologists are not allowed to be treated by psychiatrists, and they blame sychiatrists for undermining their efforts in spreading their insane doctrine, among other things such the 9/11 attacks.

Because of their religious hatred of psychiatrists Scientologists have embarked on a crusade to slander the profession and seek to “obliterate” psychiatry. To this end they have set up multimedia display in the rotunda of the Missouri capitol building, making outrageous claims about sexual abuse, non-consensual treatment, and claiming psychiatry is responsible for Nazism and slavery. They would like you to believe that the practice has been completely unchanged in 150 years.

We are a group of citizens who seek to dispel their claims. Because we act to make Scientology unable to perpetrate their scams on unsuspecting people, the Church of Scientology has an active campaign of personal, legal, and professional harassment against us. Scientology founder Ron Hubbard said that anyone who seeks to work against Scientology is “Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured by any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed.” We hide our identities so that we can protect ourselves from this disturbing policy. We ask only that you give the exhibit the credit it deserves: NONE
  8. BigBeard Member

^^^^
    Very nice. One minor quibble though.

Might be better as "We ask only that you give their exhibit the credance it deserves: NONE."

Or not.

BigBeard
  9. amaX Member

Xenu speed to all Anons harpooning this one in the Heartland.

10. Anonymous Member

Also, posters should be made that read just "CCHR = Scientology". "CCHR is a hate group." or similar, in large letters.
  11. Anonymous Member

By posters, I mean signs.
  12. anonsoulless Member

"their exhibit" is better. If I put "credence" it puts it down a line and I don't have room for that.
  13. anonsoulless Member

scninstatehse.png

cchrisacult.png
  14. MeganonOT8 Member

you can take out "only" on "We ask [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE][...]" and i belive it still makes sense... or not.. XP Anyways, an awesome wall of text it is. :D
  15. Anonymous Member

Every argument the CCHR makes essentially boils down to this: psychiatrists are bad people.

An argument against a specific treatment such as ECT isn't an argument against psychiatry generally. Even an argument against 19 treatments isn't an argument against psychiatry.

A treatment is justified if it has a favorable risk-to-benefit ratio, in comparison to other treatment options. The CCHR argues that psychiatrists pick bad treatments. Why? Well, because they're bad people, I guess.

But why would all psychiatrists be bad people?

I hope the congresspersons think to ask the CCHR this question.
  16. Anonymous Member

Another thing I'd like legislators to consider: psychiatry is part of medicine. All doctors must have a basic competence in psychiatry in order to practice medicine.

The CCHR isn't just anti-psychiatry. It's anti-medicine. It's anti-science.
  17. Anonymous Member

CCHR always weasels its way into university campuses and other locations is by presenting itself as a human rights group standing up for the victims of psychiatric abuses.

They inch their way in by sounding "reasonable" -- mainly by sounding like a group that protests overzealous prescribing by psychiatrists. This is their shoe-in-the-door... because this claim resonates with a lot of people.

Overly liberal prescribing may indeed be an issue worth looking into, but those that allow CCHR to set up their displays don't bother to research the CCHR's illogical final conclusions or their ultimate goals.

CCHR isn't a patient's advocacy group. Their goal (as stated by David Miscavige) is the global obliteration of psychiatry. They claim that the holocaust (and damn near every other human tragedy) has been caused by evil "psychs."

Psychiatry and psychology are fields bound by science. Like medicine, they improve over time based on empirical evidence and well-controlled studies. Again, like medicine, they've made mistakes in their past.

The difference between psychiatry and Scientology is that psychiatry is evidence-based and is willing to learn from its mistakes. Scientology is pure woo -- considered by its adherents to be flawless, and not subject to examination or improvement.
  18. Anonymous Member

Oh one more thing: I've seen the CCHR argue that psychiatry is unlike other medical specialties because there are no lab tests for psychiatric diagnoses. This argument reveals a misunderstanding of how medicine is practiced.

Doctors create a differential diagnosis --a list of all possible diagnoses that might explain a patient's condition. Then they rule out as many options on the list as possible until hopefully only one diagnosis remains.

There are many ways to rule things out. Sometimes a bit more history is enough. Sometimes just looking at the person's body is enough. Sometimes labs are needed.

In short: doctors don't test for diseases; they seek counterfactuals to rule out diseases.

Example: repeat elevated blood pressure readings.

Differential: renal artery stenosis, pheochromocytoma, anxiety, essential hypertension.

There is no test for essential hypertention. But we can make the diagnosis by ruling out the other possible causes.

Example: depressed mood, low energy, anhedonia

Differential: hypthyroidism, anemia, hypoxia, hepatitis, renal insufficiency, paraneoplastic syndrome, depression

Again, there's no specific test for depression. But we can make that diagnosis after ruling out other potential causes for the patient's symptoms.
  19. Anonymous Member

Over-prescription by definition is a mistake. No one is in favor of mistakes.

But what does the CCHR say about under prescription? That's also a mistake. Does the CCHR speak out against that?
  20. Anonymous Member

question; are we allowed to bring our usual faggotry: boom-box or megaphones? I hopez we can haz boom-box.

Idea [boooo me if too moralfaggotry]: yall know that the boom-box MegAnonOT8 haz can be connected to any TV and transfer videos on DVDs or on USB drives, as long as they are MPEG1 or MPEG2, and I was willing to purchase a 20" or smaller LCD flat screen and play this videos:
    1.YouTube - Scientology Exposed PSA: Not Equal
    2YouTube - Scientology Exposed PSA: Hypocrisy
    3.YouTube - New Scientology Documentary - an essay by a concerned person

And many more that can be watched by students...like southpark and other cartoons. Is this a good idea? is it even permitted?
  21. anonsoulless Member

We didn't ask for electrical hookups on the permit form. I don't think they'll allow us to use the boombox, but I will check the forms to see if they're expressly forbidden. Remember, we are going to be OUTSIDE the capitol building. In the snow.
  22. anonsoulless Member

Somebody's been watching too much House.

I will keep this in mind though. I doubt that we'll meet any non-scilon who agrees with them though. I don't think we'll have to argue that in-depth, for the simple reason that any one who thinks that psychiatrists are evil is obviously crazy.

Not to say that this country doesn't need some serious mental health reform; it should come in the form of better psychiatry, not no psychiatry ever.
  23. Optimisticate Member

Luck and lulz be with you! Thanks for the effort all who are going are making!

CCHR = Scientology is the most basic sign that could be made. Just the link to the group now is teh cancer. Depending on local population, signs about CCHR's views on the Holocaust and blatant dismissal of the entire psych industry as well as autism would be good.
  24. anonsoulless Member

Thanks for bringing it it our attention.
  25. MeganonOT8 Member

Sense I iz one. Doesn't sound like a bad idea, except, like anonsoulless pointed out, its gonna be snowing (well, there's a 50% chance, but lets not ruin a flat screen tv or everything else for that matter). Its going to be approximatly a 3 hr trip. Are we planing to arrive there at 11am or 10:30am?
  26. puck35 Member

Ah, the CCHR. We pwned them last April when they set up their traveling house of horrors at Concordia University.

Have you got the news media on this? Concordia kept parroting some CYA bullshit about "academic freedom" (as if the CCHR were in the least bit academic, let alone intellectually honest). We hounded the local news media to report on this; they finally descended on the school en masse and produced reports that made the university (not to mention the CCHR) look absolutely ridiculous.

The eleven-day return engagement of the CCHR exhibit scheduled for October was then quietly canceled. Anonymous delivers.
  27. mongrel Member

It's 50/50 at this point. (It's a 5-hour drive for me.) You guys planning to stay until 4:30? A first-timer, maybe two, is interested but can't get there until 3:30.
  28. mongrel Member

RE: Sign ideas

I agree with the previous poster about simply connecting CCHR with Co$. Here are a couple slogans I was thinking of:

• Psychiatry: An Industry of Death... brought to you by Scientology
    • Psychiatry Kills but Scientology Saves
    • Scientology's goal: "The global obliteration of psychiatry"

We could also highlight some of the more ridiculous claims:

• Psychiatry caused Hitler, 9/11, crime, racism, etc.

Also, we can't assume people going into the building will know there's a CCHR exhibit inside the rotunda. One poster explaining our target might be good so they don't look at us like moonbats. Well... they'll do that anyway but we at least want them to know what we're talking about.

Here's a little fail poster I whipped up. The point is to ask the question of who is more trustworthy, crazy moonbats or trained physicians. Any artfags out there that can make this one more clear or generally better?

0001ox.jpg
  29. Anonymous Member

I would really like to stay up until 4:30. But i guess its mainly up to those anons that are driving and what plans they have for later that day. I was thinking about lunching after picket or in the middle of it...or yall taking luches? :p
  30. Anonymous Member

I think I know what you meant... - Psychiatry Saves Sientology Kills?
  31. Anonymous Member

is anyone going to put some input about the time you guys are thinking of staying there?
  32. Anonymous Member

OP says the Capitol protest will be from 11AM to 4:30PM
  33. mongrel Member

Good idea.

The Jeff City and Columbia papers both want confirmation phone numbers for op-ed letters. Any namefags wanna volunteer?

Jefferson City News Tribune
    The Columbia Daily Tribune

EDIT: FFS!!! I suck big ol' cawks. Totally forgot about TV (meh, it happens when you don't own one). None of these require contact info but I'm sure it would help. E-mail is acceptable for all three. POONS AWAY!!!

Here's the local TV info:
    KMIZ - ABC
    KOMU - NBC
    KRCG - CBS
  34. mongrel Member

Maybe picket during the lunch-hour inflow/outflow from the capitol and eat a late lunch before resuming for the end of day outflow?

As far as rides later, you heading east or west? r/ PM
  35. Anonymous Member

Eat lunch in shifts. That way you won't leave the steps unattended at crucial moments.
  36. anonsoulless Member

which is something we can only do if we have sufficient /b/lackup.
  37. Anonymous Member

Please, please, PLEASE keep an eye on the weather and don't travel if it's as bad as predicted. Better safe and miss the exhibit than protest and then sliding off the highway. The latest forecast looks pretty grim. I know you'll all say "duh", but I just had to post this anyway. <3
  38. anonsoulless Member

one inch of snow is grim?

[edit] different weather says up 6 inches by Tuesday morning.

We should be fine as we aren't planning on staying until Tuesday morning.
  39. Anonymous Member

do we meet up at the same location we met up on craft day?
  40. mongrel Member

Have no fear. I'll be driving a 4x4!!!!

So... how'bout'that'thar timing? The newbie(s) don't want to be standing there alone on their first outing.