Customize

CCHR at Concordia University (Montreal)

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by N. Ron Rubber, Apr 14, 2009.

1. puck35 Member

Re: CCHR at Concordia University (Montreal)

The academics should be pissed that the same university that holds them to rigorous academic standards seems to have waived them in favor of a fat check from Scientology. Even if Concordia didn't know the CCHR was a Scientology front, that nevertheless represents a lapse in these standards for not even looking into the CCHR in the first place.
  2. Anon1720 Member

I don't know if the link for Concordia's Councelling service staff has been posted yet or not but here it is:

Counselling & Psychological Services

I'm sure they'd be interested in the scilons returning in October.

Another link to Concordia's Health Services:
    http://www-health.concordia.ca/

Perhaps staff working in both these departments can apply pressure from within once they are informed about CCHR's true goals.
  3. HellRazor Member

That's a good question. A likely scenario might be if the Canadian Forces (military for you non-Canucks) did the same as CCHR - renting space to put up a recruitment display. You might expect anti-war student groups to object, but I doubt Concordia would grant them equal space to put up their own exhibit.

Do it!
  4. puck35 Member

And yet, in spite of the space having been rented for a fee, since this blew up, Concordia has been playing the academic freedom card. This indicates that they consider this an academic exhibit. They would not consider a Canadian Forces or corporate exhibit in the same way.

Basically, by parroting the academic freedom line, they've in fact shot themselves in the foot, because now they have to answer for their lapse in academic standards.
  5. star eht Member

THIS need more attention, the fact that OTHER university kicked the CCHR out weight as much as academic standard.

Howard need to be contacted, or students there need to ask about this.
    find out instences of dishonesty or plain lying made by the CCHR

1) saying that Howard co-hosted one of their exibit (wich was false, they rented the space, and eventually kicked them out)
    2) holocaust revisionism
    3) the graph they show have NO scale
    4) get their brochures, and fact-check their claims,
  6. puck35 Member

How about asking those Howard University administration members to email Concordia about their experience and how they handled it?
  7. Re: CCHR at Concordia University (Montreal)

Puck, many universities have university email addresses for the students. Is there something like that in place? If so, there is also likely an allstudents@thiscollege.canada address which would email everyone simulataneously. One well written mail could do very well.
  8. puck35 Member

With all due respect, I don't think spamming the entire student body or the entire faculty is a good idea, no matter how worthy our cause.

Besides, often only certain official email accounts have all the addresses and are able to do mass emailings like this.

Doing some Googling on Concordia and Scientology I came across a blog entry I hadn't yet seen, published yesterday:

Forget The Box Blog Scientology at Concordia: free speech or paying to preach

If you ignore the annoying Scilon comment, the article mentions something very interesting: there is allegedly a secret risk assessment committe at Concordia, discussed in this Maclean's article: PART ONE "We learned the hard way" | Macleans.ca - Education - PostSecondary

The plot thickens. Can we think up a cute "-gate" to name this scandal?
  9. xenubarb Member

GrappaGate?
  10. Ogsonofgroo Member

Concord Grape?
  11. puck35 Member

Ooh, that's good, especially since the article alleges he runs the secret committee. But I don't like throwing his name around, for fear of saying something that's actually libellous. Maybe I'll say Voldemort instead.

^^^^

I hereby declare Concord Grape the name by which we will refer to he-who-shall-not-be-named.

12. 3rdMan Member

Holy shit! This is kinda thing we need to advertise what we are doing. While your at it, you can also link them to WWP, lermanet, etc... You just struck gold!

While I agree the email maybe filtered. Utilizing the student email system for Concordia, heck, colleges in general would do a lot of good. If a student sees it only as spam, no big deal, they'll just delete it. But who knows? Maybe several students will be interested.

If there are any Anons who goto Concordia or any supporters there who would like to help out, they'll have a better chance getting the email out and not filtered. But it may have to look like something official so not to look like spam: like an event notice for a demonstration against the CCHR exhibit. It may work.
  13. Scythe Member

I think we missed this article by the student newspaper:

Scientology's CCHR group at Concordia | The Link

14. ARC Member

In academic context, that statement is meaningless unless they actually provide a list of their sources. A student who says "oh the sources are good, trust me" and leaves out a reference list, will be fail the assignment.
    The analysis and conclusions made based on their sources also have to be reasonable and logical.
  15. Ogsonofgroo Member

Good time for some of the alumni and students to ask 'Show us the sources!', after all, didn't the management say it was open to dicussion?
    Well fer cripes sake make, plea to, demand them discuss it! On record and on film fer sure!
    Come on! if there's any CU students finding here, get yer crap together eh!
  16. puck35 Member

I'm a ConU student. I got it together last week, didn't I? ;)

This scandalous affair shall henceforth be referred to as Conchergate (CONcordia + "cher" for CCHR).

I'll call the book I write about this All the Vice-President, Services' Men.
  17. moarxenu Member

Did someone say Conch-ergate?

conchflag.jpg
  18. TinyDancer Member

This scandalous affair shall henceforth be referred to as Conchergate (CONcordia + "cher" for CCHR).

Disturbingly close to conjugate. :eek:[/QUOTE]
  19. TinyDancer Member

20. Re: CCHR at Concordia University (Montreal)

It seems that a big dark cloud of black pr is following cchr and the scientology evil empire and was left hovering over Concordia University. They should answer for this shameful promotion.
  21. TinyDancer Member

Thing is - they could have done it right.
  22. Re: CCHR at Concordia University (Montreal)

Yes, All they had to do was google "cchr" before taking money for the event. No excuse.
  23. TinyDancer Member

Or, get some faculty educated before-hand and run a series of seminars and articles parallel to the display - or a debate, perhaps.
  24. Ogsonofgroo Member

Ooo-oo, don't they have debate classes? Public speaking, and all that? (erm thimkin' pol-sci?)

Puck? Any peoples around there to be ready to debates 'em?
  25. puck35 Member

In one version of his form letter, Michael di Grappa shot down a student's inquiry as to whether Concordia knew the CCHR was a Scientology front group:

One of my letters countered asking if they had bothered to do a Google search on the CCHR before booking the event, and perhaps a further search on the truth about Scientology. No response, of course. Concordia has been steadfastly dodging the question as to whether or not they knew the CCHR was Scientology-backed when they approved the event.
  26. puck35 Member

I have a feeling Concordia's stopped reading emails. We need to arrange some sort of face-to-face meeting with Concord Grape and his secret committee in order to present CCHR distortions and fabrications, followed by legitimate sourced facts to refute them, and see if they're still able to defend their decision to host them and welcome them back. Perhaps we should also have someone from a cult watch organization have a chat with them.
  27. Anonymous Member

An anon spoke with the Concordia President on the phone this week....Apparently the same anon could give him a letter explaining our disagreement with the university and he would read it.
  28. Anonymous Member

That letter should focus on the lack of transperancy, the lack of academic standards for the excibit, and how there was no opposing views or discussions encouraged except as an afterthought, and if students and facutly will be given the same opportunity to express themselves as that multinational corporation.
  29. Anonymous Member

Apparently I love that Anon.
  30. puck35 Member

And hopefully this letter will get a written response from Concord Grape. For the massive email campaign re: the October CCHR event, we need to cite Grape's lame arguments (e.g. the academic freedom cop-out) and counter them (e.g. academic standards, academic dishonesty). Perhaps they'll relent once when their ineptitude is made plain to other universities.
  31. Ogsonofgroo Member

And it might be well to for-warn other U's of these predators. In a nice, informative, stick to facts, way.

:)
  32. puck35 Member

I'll have to check the CCHR's traveling sideshow itinerary. If I see they're booked at other universities, I'll harpoon strategically.

If Concordia thinks this has blown over they've got another thing coming.
  33. puck35 Member

We should also target the mental health practitioners at Concordia's health services clinic.

Yet another question that needs to be asked of the adminstration is whether they bothered at any point to ask the CCHR representatives with what exactly the CCHR proposed psychiatry should be replaced with.
  34. Little_Sister Member

Puck is an example of what all newfags should be. For your services, you shall be rewarded handsomely...

you win bacon..
  35. puck35 Member

Mmm... bacon...
  36. Ann O'Nymous Member

Have you sent your details to Big Pharma yet ?
  37. Anonymous Member

Very good idea. We can give them some hints:
    YouTube - Hubbard: "Much easier to get money from people whose lives are in trouble"
  38. 3rdMan Member

Here be some places that has faculty, researcher contacts.

CSBN - Researchers
    Full Time Faculty

I would hope they have something to day about producing an asinine exhibit that demonizes them based on claims that lack evidence.
  39. charlie Member

Dr. Judith Woodsworth

sorry this is a few days late but I have just picked up on this story about your university stageing
    the CCHR exibition,how can a well respected facility like yours allow such a one sided exibit to
    take place on your campus.
    apart from the fact that most of there claims totally unfounded,half truths and outright lies and
    that most of information is 30-100 years out of date and that its backed by scientology should
    have stoped you from stageing the event.
    Scientology is not classed as a religion in most countrys, it is regarded as a CULT here in the UK
    by most people, it also has no charitable status here and is classed as a business here and only got
    V.A.T. exemtion through the back door as its classed as one in austrailia .