Customize

Carrie Fisher embraces electroshock therapy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Herro, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Herro Member

Carrie Fisher embraces electroshock therapy

Carrie has written several books on her life experiences in which she admitted battles with drug and alcohol addiction in the past and numerous stints in rehab.
    She has also revealed that she suffered from bipolar disorder during her teens and early twenties and also claims electroshock therapy saved her life.

"Fisher was equally funny talking about her manic depression, or bipolar disorder. When word of her condition got out, her mother objected, calling Fisher to tell her, “You’re not mentally ill, you’re manic depressive.”

Fisher said her disorder resisted all drugs and therapy, and she finally found relief through electroconvulsive therapy, commonly known as electroshock, which applies an electric current to the brain. Decades ago the therapy carried a lot of negative implications, but Fisher said psychiatrists have dialed the voltage down and patients don’t really go into convulsions. “I loved it because it worked,” she said.

However, getting treatments three days a week for several weeks, she added, leaves the patient with gaps in memory. As the brain recalibrates, everything comes back except for about four months, she explained.

When Lauer expressed amazement at her assertion that losing four months wasn’t a big deal, Fisher was blase. “What’s going to happen in four months at my age that’s not going to happen in another four months?”

So fuck you, Scientology!

And don't even TRY to fuck with Princess Leia, because she will obliterate your tired old ass faster than the Death Star did to Alderran.

Cele|bitchy Blog Archive Carrie Fisher highly recommends electroconvulsive therapy

http://gawker.com/5108631/carrie-fisher-wants-you-to-get-electroshock-therapy
  2. Herro Member

re: Carrie Fisher embraces electroshock therapy

Hey Davey Miscarriage -- aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
  3. Herro Member

4. Skeptic1337 Member

only retarded culties care about electro shock therapy.
  5. Herro Member

6. Snake Member

3110770006_a3efd03555.jpg
  7. Herro Member

8. Herro Member

Ewww, it looks like she's the result of those two mating.

Ew.
  9. the anti Member

oh man, I'm not sure how much more I can love her

oh god yes
  10. Herro Member

11. re: Carrie Fisher embraces electroshock therapy

This pretty much says it ALL!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  12. WTF Member

She went into the valence of her former captor.
  13. Herro Member

This ah, celebrity coming out as a booster for electroshock makes me fervently wish LSD could be legal
  14. Herro Member

PS that was Humphrey
  15. Herro Member

wait. since when did scilons dabble in electro-shock therapy?

or did I uncomprehend the article?
  16. Relyt Member

Electro-shock therapy is a dangerous procedure that does more damage than good. The sooner it is abolished, the better.
  17. The Shadow Member

Leia is no longer fapping material? Now I'm sad:(
  18. re: Carrie Fisher embraces electroshock therapy

Indeed. It causes memory problems. I don't think it should be given as a form of treatment anywhere because there are many other alternatives that pose a far lower risk.

Sylvia Plath, Ernest Hemingway, Lou Reed, Yves Saint-Laurent have had it done too.
  19. Snake Member

Oh well, if Hemingway got it, than it must be great!
  20. The Shadow Member

me so horny!
  21. The Shadow Member

I would prefer to see a full-length 'now' pic. Her neck looks more like thyroid/goiter issues than mere obesity.
  22. The Shadow Member

Correlation =/= causation.

Lots of people who have taken meds have also committed suicide. It does not mean that the meds caused the suicide. It means that depression led them to take meds; also depression drove them to suicide.

Lots of people suffering from intractable depression would gladly take some memory loss in exchange for relief. Let's not make CCHR's mistake and start spouting opinions based on a small amount of knowledge.

People undergo ECT these days as a last resort, after many attempts at other methods. ECT is voluntary. Let's let the medical professionals make the decisions on ECT. (Doctors would be more than happy to replace it with a better method when they find one). The point is that Scientology is trying to effect a ban. They have no business having any opinion whatsoever in legislation.

See this article for more people who have been grateful for ECT
    DJ Jaffe: FDA Considers Caving to Scientology and Making Mental Illness Treatment Illegal

If you're developing your opinion of ECT based on the writings of people like Peter Breggin, you might want to lurk moar.
  23. The Shadow Member

24. The Shadow Member

bitch leave now
  25. AngryGayPope1 Member

ECT works and it helps people
  26. anon555 Member

according to what research? crap put out by the CCHR? it is a medical procedure that should be evaluated by doctors, researchers, not couch potato shrinks and body thetan crazies. People who have actually undergone the procedure (not jsut fisher, there are many others) are very much in favor of it so exactly what are you basing your 'more damage than good' assessment on? Memory loss? bi-polar disorder/depression that dont respond to medication can and will utterly destroy a persons life, by comparison, memory loss is probably and acceptable side effect.
  27. AngryGayPope1 Member

ECT works and it helps people. You know it's true.
  28. LE Member

I'm sure she still is for someone. Rule 36 and all that.
  29. the anti Member

thats not her
  30. anonymous612 Member

It's not off by much, last I saw a photo of her.

[IMG]
  31. Timmibal Member

yhbtp.jpg
  32. Anonymous Member

Re: Carrie Fisher embraces electroshock therapy

For sensible info on ECT I'd recommend:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/OSCEs-Psychiatry-Prepare-MRCPsych-MRCPsy/dp/0443072973]OSCEs in Psychiatry: Prepare for the New MRCPsych MRCPsy Study Guides: Amazon.co.uk: Albert Michael MBBS DPM MD FRCPsych: Books[/ame]

If I had a nickle for the times I've heard "barbaric procedure" in relation to it! Ha! It's not meant to be easy on the eye, it's meant to be functional! Would you like surgery to be prettier?
  33. Anonymous Member

Methinks she's had way too much electro-shock already..

[IMG]
  34. AnonyMary Member

In all fairness, she isn't as fat as that screen shot implies. She actually looks pretty good for her age considering she drank and drugged so many of her younger years away. I'm glad she's stayed clean and got her life together.

Here's the interview link:

Today Show Video Player
  35. Re: Carrie Fisher embraces electroshock therapy

Somewhat unrelated, but I have her autograph and a photo with her. One of the nicest celebs I've ever met.
  36. Anonymous Member

37. Anonymous Member

38. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I was just waiting for him to bawww about it. News Flash = being a celebrity does not make ya an expert. Scifag or not!
  39. anonohio Member

methohexital + succinylcholine + simple airway airway management = comfortable, undramatic ECT therapy

it's been like that for decades. scientology really needs to get out of the 50's.
  40. Kalashnikov Member

Electroshock is as much quackery as Hubbard's bs. I thought it was already a thing of the past?

CCHR/sci's use the fallacy of comparing modern psychologists to the medieval. It's like comparing modern Christianity to medieval Christianity. It has evolved into something totally different.

The irony is that Sci treats their members almost as bad as mental institutions used to hundreds of years ago.

The vast majority of people with issues just need good friends to confide in. I favor talk therapy over meds but realistically, there are people with neurological disorders. Now the question is: Is the disorder hereditary, or a product of compulsive thought patterns (as a result of environment/exposure to information) which cause the imbalances?