Customize

Canadian mask ban bill penalty doubled to 10 years

Discussion in 'Media' started by DeathHamster, May 10, 2012.

1. DeathHamster Member

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...d-crackdown-on-masked-protesters-goes-too-far
    Question: How does a protest become an unlawful assembly? Do police just declare that an event is unlawful and that's that?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

And who can prove "intent" without an act? What is this, IRL "Minority Report"?

Time to unelect this character.
  3. DeathHamster Member

4. PresidentShaw Member

Wouldn't the riot police need to show their face as well then?

Lb07s.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Anonymous Member

/r OpRobNicholson
  6. Zak McKracken Member

If they have mirrors inside their masks,
    I think they're ok.
  7. ...police watching police watching police...
  8. Zak McKracken Member

9. Quentinanon Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dragononymous Member

Took you quite a while to catch up with the Netherlands Canada.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Quentinanon Member

I suppose you are not making a compliment.
  12. Dragononymous Member

Unless you see this as a good thing, no.
  13. BlooAnon Member

Sorry. My polar bear kept stopping for no good reason.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Dragononymous Member

Always knew you Canadians couldn't control their bears decently...
  15. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Dragononymous Member

On topic:

How long will it take for the first misuse?/ before it applies to every canadian?
  17. Anonymous Member

^^^^^^^
  18. I expect and afraid a canada become a communist country with harper goverment.
    Ban mask and raise again manifestant people plus charging a masked protester who takes part
    in what's known as an unlawful assembly with a serious,indectible crime.
    Peace of shit harper goverment.
    And by the way at montréal city next week 16 may 2012 he gonna
    having a multidiscipliner comite at l'hotel de ville de montréal about a creation of new law in town.
    The mayor gérald tremblay want to promote and pass a new law against our right to manifest.
    The content of the new laws is (forbiden a right to manifest whitout previously tell a plan
    at the police authority and ban right to wear a mask during a manifestation.
    Now the question is how is gonna be possible to manifest and fight for our right in canada?.
    For me is simply another step to ban a right to democratie in canada.
    In my opinion we have to do something for keep this country in a freedom land and peaceful.
    You don't think so?.
  19. Anonymous Member

Get a grip, patrick.

Anyone in Canada that is involved with AvS protests know how essential and productive it is to cultivate a relationship with the municipal police.

Once the municipal police are aware of the protester's intent to be committed to legal, non-violent/peaceful protesting, there is no problem, with masks or without.

Blowing this way far out of proportion is making you appear to be a fool if not a moonbat. If you think that protests should take the form of the idiocy that prevails on Saint-Jean Baptiste day in Quebec every year, you are freaking crazy.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Anonymous Member

Every Canadian is Anonymous? That must scare the Bejeesus out of Narconon.
  21. DeathHamster Member

Understand that I have no problem with slapping an extra charge on some black bloc doing smashy-smashy while wearing a mask. (And that law already exists.)

My problem is with people wearing a mask at an event that suddenly turns into a riot or unlawful assembly (thanks to violent bloc types [or "police provocateurs", lol] who piggyback on otherwise peaceful protests) will be looking at 10 years in prison without actually committing any crimes.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Dragononymous Member

Matter of controlling the group and knowing who you're with.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

Meanwhile, when I attempt to control or ID the "police provocateurs, lol" they can have me arrested.
    It's not exactly a level playing field.
  24. Dragononymous Member

Train your game then.
    If you need secret video devices or anything related, -> doable + pm
  25. Anonymous Member

WTF in Canada wearing masks is prohibited?
  26. muldrake Member

Good luck preventing whoever wants to show up in a public space from doing it.
  27. Dragononymous Member

Try the difference between control and prevention.
  28. DeathHamster Member

No. Just during a riot or unlawful assembly if this bill passes.

The problem is when a peaceful protest is suddenly declared a riot, *boom*, ten years in prison for covering your face. After the Toronto G20, I'm not confident of police fairly and rationally applying this law. I suspect the courts would toss mask charges (and nothing else) against someone, but I'm not certain of that either--and it could take a year or more to clear it up.

I wonder how they'll handle the face-covering religious angle? (Or do they plan to? The Contempt Party does have a small racist Reform core.)
    • Like Like x 1
  29. DeathHamster Member

O RLY? And what's your plan to prevent Black Bloc types from inviting themselves to the party?
  30. I think you really did not understand my message anonymous.
    If you think I'm crazy and I do not know what I mean.
    This is probably due to your ignorance on policy
    event that will be elected by vote of the municipal council of the city
    of Montreal by 16 May.
    After this law passed you will present in a police station in montreal to explain what you want show and work with them to hold your event so pacific with your mask.
    You're going to laugh at you and they'll kick your ass out of the police station.
    Your words about me was offansant.
    I am very far from being completly crazy or stupid as you are right.
    To write such stupidity to someone you do not know you ought
    not be very intelligent.
    You can be Disagree with me is what is call'd free expression.
    But I thought so without even knowing me this is not acceptable.
    And more curiously I would really to know your degree of education. Compare
    has me.am pretty sure you come very far behind me in this area.
    In closing I hope that this blog is not only supporting by
    people like you because if this is the case it is a shame for this blog
    claims to be as pacific.
  31. PresidentShaw Member

I protested with mask very often, most of the times the cops end up being ok with it, as long as I show them my face if they request it, then they let me go on my merry way with the mask.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Dragononymous Member

Don't.
    Gain control over them.
  33. Anonymous Member

QFT!
  34. Herro Member

I think we're all forgetting something important. This guy thinks that Harper, head of the Conservative Party, is going to turn Canada into a Communist country.

So just to recap: Harper...Conservative Party...Communist state.

Right.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  35. PresidentShaw Member

Yea, harper being communist is possibly the the most retarded thing I ever read on this forum. Ok I lied, but it's still pretty much up there.
    • Like Like x 4
  36. Maybe it was exessive but if you read a same news in canada like me,you must know the harper goverment
    going in wrong way.Am proud to be canadian and be free to having a right to express myself.
    Feel free to be agree or not with my point is what about i love this country and that's why i hope this country
    come back in a good way concerne about his politics.More budget for the army,more pollution whit sable bitumineux(petrol) in alberta and be out of the kyoto protocol.Is a shame on our canada country.
  37. zalgo Member

me to
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  38. DeathHamster Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/05/14/f-mask-riot-law.html
    It seems like someone masked at a protest gone sour would merely get up to six months in jail and/or fines up to $5,000.
  39. Am a new member here and i hope one day i become a reel member not just like a virtual and
    be part of the next official event of anonymous groupe.
    But before i have to do my class and more undrestand the reel objective of the why we protest mouvement.
    We share the same objective but it's seems like a long way of knowledge for being part of this mouvement.
    Anonymous for me it's like a final club rule admit in u.s.a you have to be an exeptionel personne for be part of it.
    And more you have knowledge's about his mouvement more you incrase your chance to be part of it.
    And alway's remember this think this mouvement is pacific and non violent.
    We can do something for a mouvement but we have to procede in peaceful way.
    This is my opinion and is not constituate necessarely a truth.
  40. I think that soon very soon we will have to find new
    legal avenues to protest in Canada.
    We need to show us more intelligent than the system of Canadian laws regarding this.
    Find a flaw in the system and explioter.
    And for the good of our cause.
    And of course all the way legal.