Customize

Call To Arms: Translators.

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by gregg, Feb 18, 2008.

1. gregg Member

Call To Arms: Translators.

Volunteers Needed!

The campaign against the Church of Scientology is expanding. Anonymous needs your help. Can you:

Translate text from English to:
    • Dutch
    • German
    • Spanish
    • French
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Italian
    • Portuguese (european)
    • Portuguese (brazilian)
    • Romanian
    • Swedish
    • Norwegian
    • Russian
    • Finnish
    • Filipino/Tagalog
    • Polish
    • Hungarian
    • Korean
    • Thai
    • Vietnamese
    • Greek
    • Afrikaans

These translations will be needed for Press Releases, Websites and Video scripts before videos are made. Anonymous is global, this movement is global, our message must be global.

Do you have translation experience? Experience managing a translation project? This project needs someone to help get it organized who has actual experience in the field.

If you can do any of these, we need you! Join us on IRC at irc.partyvan.org in channel #translation, and on the wiki at Main Page - Operation Translation . Make your voice heard!

We are Anonymous.
    We have Awoken.
    We Stand as One.

If you would like to be listed as a translator for something so we know who to contact, use this thread: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/41-translation-text-composition-projects/list-translators-3860/

-------------------------------------

If you didnt get here via Digg, then please digg this: http://digg.com/world_news/Anonymous_Ca ... ranslators
  2. Amomynous Member

Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

Yes!!

And so the time has come...

Wonderful to be seeing this. :D

Go go Anon, spread the word.

We are Anonymous
    We are Legion
    We speak all sorts of languages!
  3. AnonWarrior Member

I'll be spreading this call to arms to people in my university- we have a lot of language majors and I myself know a lot of fluent mandarin/french speakers. Still on vacation, so I won't have any results until about a few days from now.
    If anyone wants a translation into Filipino/Tagalog, then I can help personally. :D
  4. Thetanonymous Member

I know some people that might be useful for Mandarin (and if we're just talking printed material, mandarin/cantonese doesn't matter), but I'd have to bring up the concept of Anonymous VERY VERY carefully with them...
  5. gregg Member

Glad to see some response already.

The idea as I have thought about it right now is:

-

Goal

Very basic goal is to have a service available to Anonymous for any videos, press releases or websites being worked on that text can be submited to for translation. If the text is for a video then a translation service that ends up returning a raw audio file in that language for use in a video would be needed.

-

I can only say that I WANT this project to exist, so I have put out this call.
  6. fiends Member

I need people to translate "Expect us" for me. If you could, PM me with the language + translation.

Thanks!
  7. Freyja Member

I took 9 years of mandatory French classes. I would be more than willing to help in any way I can (I can't remember a lot, but I am still rather good with grammar and other things). :)
  8. saerat Member

WAIT. Make sure all messages are run by at least 2 people that do not seem to know eachother! o.o otherwise we could end up with "we support Hitler" and things like that..
  9. gregg Member

Do not post things like this in the thread. It is pointless. Nothing is near the stages where we would even be translating yet. And a properly organized translation setup should do that by default anyways. But I dont plan on organizing this. I want to to exist so I am putting out the call to arms, the wiki, and the irc channel. But we need someone with translation experience to jump in here. With all the Legion, we should have someone willing.
  10. saerat Member

It is not pointless. If you handed it to someone who says they speak Chinese they could change it to anything, I am just saying to be cautious.
  11. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

I'm taking Japanese now, I might be able to do some basic stuff for you guys (and maybe some less basic stuff if I can enlist my teacher's help. >.>).
  12. K3vin Member

I could try Spanish translating, around 5 years of studying it in High School so far... But you could probably find someone better.
  13. fear-us Member

Ive been in LFI since gr 6 I do say I can translate french fluently.

Good idead indeed :wink:
  14. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

I can handle the Spanish.

I was raised in a Spanish-speaking household, and have spoke/written/read in Spanish my entire life.
  15. WindandGhosts Member

I would gladly love some Spanish flyers. I know that the local CoS sells Dianetics door to door in spanish around here.
  16. tamphex Member

Once we get enough of the main site translated, I'll begin introducing a language choice on the front of the site.
  17. anonangl Member

I know ASL, but that's only useful in face to face discussions, sorry. I will be using it if needed at the protest.
    Angl
  18. DarkSim Member

Being the only Anon living in China I would be happy to do the translation into mandarin :)

Though, Co$ is illegal (as is all religion) and not present here so the usefulness of such a translation is a bit questionable.
  19. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

It would be good to warn the Chinese Americans or Chinese (Other Countries) so they know what to expect.

The following languages are also not represented that have a huge presence in the U.S:

Korean
    Filipino
    Russian
    Thai
    Vietnamese
    Arabic ???

20. Freyja Member

I think a few more languages should be added to the list :p. Here's a few of my suggestions:

Swedish
    Norwegian
    Russian
    Korean
    Finnish
    and at least one Native american language?

Sorry, brain is dead, I can't think of any more. xD

EDIT: Oshi, someone else already posted the same thing. Oh well, it still stands. :p
  21. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

Why did they leave chanmemespeak off the list?
  22. overseanon Member

For Polish --> I'm the man <-- (though it's not on the list. :( )
  23. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

Updated list of languages needed per the wiki:

* Dutch
    * German
    * Spanish
    * French
    * Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese)
    * Japanese
    * Italian
    * Portuguese
    * Filipino/Tagalog
    * Korean
    * Thai
    * Finnish
    * Russian
    * Vietnamese
    * Swedish
    * Norwegian
    * Polish
    * Afrikaans

24. gregg Member

Its a wiki for this very purpose. Add the languages you want added. Nothing is set in stone.
  25. maximusair Member

I'm Chinese as well, I can probably help with the Chinese Translations.

I can also ask my friends to do the Japanese, Vietnamese, and possibly French.
    I've talked with them about the Anon cause, and they seem pretty interested in our side.
  26. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

Does anyone know what "region" the Scilons are heavily marketing to? I read somewhere on the board that South Africa was going to be their next location (hence the call for Afrikaans). If we find out, let's say, they're doing a huge push in Brazil (just an example) it would be advantageous for us to infobomb Brazil in Portuguese.

Any intel on this?
  27. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

I am fluent in Dutch, but do not have translating experience. More importantly, I am willing.
  28. Ricochet Member

I can do some Mandarin Chinese translation.
    Im an American, so the translations will be a little rough around the edges, but it will be understandable.
    I'll also be at the March 15th Pittsburgh picket, if anyone else locally needs to discuss Chinese translation.
  29. incognita Member

What about Russian? I can do Russian. I realize it's been outlawed in Russia, but there are a lot of us Russians on the Internets all over the world.
  30. Krol-On Member

I can do the translations to Brazilian Portuguese.
    No experience as a translator, but I have studied English for about 10 years, most of the books and articles used in college were in English, the interwebs is mostly English and willing to help.
    Fliers, Press Releases, Video scripts are ok. Websites I can make the translation but have no experince dealing with site updates/modifications, so will need help for at this step.

I´ll start translating some of the protest material (fliers, cards).
  31. Malle Member

I can perhaps help with German, as I am German, and my English seems to be ok to write here.

Expect us: Erwarte uns (if you say it to one person)
    Erwartet uns (if you say it to more than one)
  32. Malle Member

I have got a bit translation experience from some trade fairs. :D
  33. Anoniemert Member

I can possibly help with dutch.
    I often have to translate manuals from english to dutch so that users can read them.
  34. Jack Parsons Member

Anticipating a chorus of LULZ, I mention that I can do Esperanto. Before you wet yourselves laughing, consider:

1) Esperantofags will read ANYTHING in Esperanto and are likely to get into it - and they're nerds with no lives anyway, just our target audience.
    2) Esperanto is actually quite popular in small East European countries, where there are few current Anon and I think the Scilons are pushing themselves hard.
  35. fryed Member

36. Re: Call To Arms: Translators.

Swe-fag, reporting for duty, Sir.
  37. anon_david Member

French speaker here, ready and willing to help with translations.
  38. Anonymonkey Member

Mexican spanish speaker reporting, SIR!!

I´ve been studying english for 20 years and have been doing translations for half that time. I´ll gladly do anything to help uncover the truth on $cientology.
  39. anonymous3347 Member

I'm not claiming any great skill, but I'll do what I can for the project :)
  40. anoneagle Member

Studied French for 5 years (still am)

Can help out with French translation