Customize

Call for Papers

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by Anonymous, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Call for Papers

Could Anonymous publish an academic paper written and edited by a community?

Who knows.

Would be revolutionary if they did.
  2. Consensus Member

Re: Call for Papers

I'd be interested in participating in the composition of a submission, if anyone else is game. I don't have a respectable CV or anything, but I have put a lot of thought into the topic. Here's a post I made earlier today on another internet forum that largely illustrates the perspective I'm coming from.

The post is in response to a thread topic asking whether or not it is morally wrong that many news organizations (*cough* fox *cough) are biased and openly editorialize as though they are presenting objective truth.

3. Ann O'Nymous Member

A WWP's paper would be hard to put together, not to mention an Anonymous' one. For the sake of it, the first steps would be:
    - a title
    - keywords
    - a brief summary.
  4. AnonyVix Member

Skim read of the OP suggests anyone can submit papers. Credibility is however often granted based on how one presents authorship.

I think however it will be interesting for both them and us if thought provoking and insightful papers are produced by "An Anonymous Collective".

I will be happy to help contribute, produce and submit papers. Might even do a couple of my own.
  5. AnonyVix Member

Intriguing, another skim read suggests this would make an excellent basis for a paper that would be quite thought provoking. Go for it. :)
  6. Anonymous Member

7. Anonymous Member

erm . . . . do Rizlas count?
  8. moarxenu Member

Just noticed.Conference ends on LRH's birthday. Party Hard!
  9. Consensus Member

It's starting to look like we're actually gunna take a serious crack at this. Anyone with keen interest or insight in this area, or with experience writing formal academic papers should PM me. I'd like to start collaborating the planning stage soon.
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

Why not doing it here in the open ?
  11. Consensus Member

That's... a really good idea.

I mean, if it's gunna be a paper published by a community, it should probably be written on a public forum.

nonetheless, there's some planning to be done, and there are other resources to use (google docs or wave, instant message, etc), and not everyone has anonymous accounts for all those things (yet), so this allows more in-depth collaboration without too much ass-covering (not that I think covering our asses is quite as important now as it was two years ago, but y'know...)

But yeah. I'd like to do this out in the open. If you wanna participate and don't yet want to post publicly, pm me.
  12. Anonymous Member

I'd say use a public forum to discuss topic(s) and to form a small team... but if you let everybody tinker with the paper(s), you'll get bogged down in democracy and never get a finished work.

In my experience, anyway. (I'm the guy that just PM'd you.)

BTW, what's the conference fee, and how do you propose to pay it?
  13. Consensus Member

We need a 300-word abstract due october 1st. And it's true that we can't allow the democratic process to bog this down; it is an academic journal, so suggestions that make it 'more publishable' will be valuable, suggestions that don't affect publishability will have less weight, and suggestions that would negatively effect it should be ignored.

The cost to attend the conference is £245. If we reach the point where the paper is submitted and accepted, and we have someone lined up interested in presenting (the conference is in Prague in March 2011, and we'd need an academician to present - someone with a college degree, public speaking skill, someone that participated in the writing, and someone that understand the paper being presented). I'm hoping, if the conference organizers accept the paper, that they'll waive the attendance fee or that someone interested in what we're doing will front the money. As for housing, hopefully some prague anons can help out, or whomever goes can afford their own hotel.

That's stuff to think about, but it's not pressing. What's pressing is the October 1st deadline for an abstract.
  14. Consensus Member

dox:

So it needs to be an academic presentation, sans powerpoint, and the presenter will likely be fielding questions following the presentation.
  15. Consensus Member

Here's the deal guys: First step is research. We need an idea that is actually new, that hasn't been published before. And we need to be familiar with the literature that's out there if we expect to contribute to that conversation.

So, y'know. We research fags need to get to work right away. We should try to acquire all the papers from the last years' conference, and maybe all six years. We should scour philosophy and social science journals for articles that pertain to the internet, to social networking, to online communities, etc.

Anyone wanting to start on that should dump links in here. I'll start lookin' at it later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. The task would be WAY too daunting for one person (two months to write an abstract for publication in a journal that I've never read?!), but I'm confident the community here can pull it off, if there's enough interest.

edit - here's a start:
    That's a dump of the chapter titles from books published by the group putting on the conference. Identify titles that seem relevant to what you want to write about, and post your thoughts here. Someone'll get a hold of the essay, read it, and add their thoughts. Then a discussion ensues, an innovative consensus position emerges, a formal thesis is constructed to express that idea, and a paper forms around it.

I guess.
  16. Ann O'Nymous Member

Seconded.
  17. Re: Call for Papers

Here's a start.Change add, destroy. Do what you want.

Anonymous: The Faceless Army

-History
    - Theoretical background
    - War against Scientology
    -Other ventures.
    -Mutation:, Chanology and the exes
    - Social anarchism
    - The Hive Mind
    -Hyper Democracy
    - Individualism without political pressures.
    - Problematics
    -Results.
    Scientology crimes exposed. platforms for victims to speak.
    -Designing software platforms for future.
  18. HellRazor Member

19. Jeff Jacobsen Member

I presented a paper to the Association of Internet Researchers (Association of Internet Researchers) last year in Wisconsin on Project Chanology. I was a lowly senior working on my B.S. in political science. But they double-blind reviewed my paper and accepted it. On our badges we were supposed to have our name and affiliation. I put as affiliation "Anonymous" which drew some attention :)

article by Jeff Jacobsen on Project Chanology
  20. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice.