Customize

Bundy family of Nevada occupy Oregon Wildlife Refuge headquarters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Wrong Guy, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Disambiguation Global Moderator

2. DeathHamster Member

I doubt artillery is the word he was looking for.
  3. Disambiguation Global Moderator

"Ryan Bundy told a judge that the braided bedsheets, extra food and clothes that deputies found in his jail cell in April weren't part of any escape scheme.

That's probably for the best.

His 15 feet of makeshift rope wouldn't have gotten him too far down the nearly 228-foot-tall Justice Center building that holds the maximum-security jail."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutors-leader-oregon-standoff-plotted-jail-break-201828613.html
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Ryan Bundy Declares Himself 'Idiot' Not Subject To US Courts

By Ryan Haas, Oregon Public Broadcasting

Quote:

Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupier Ryan Bundy filed a series of court motions late Thursday, declaring himself a sovereign citizen who isn’t subject to federal laws.

Bundy, who is representing himself in the conspiracy case against the refuge occupiers, declares himself an “idiot of the ‘Legal Society’” and not subject to federal law, according to the documents.

“I, ryan c, man, am an idiot of the ‘Legal Society’; and; am an idiot (layman, outsider) of the ‘Bar Association’; and; i am incompetent; and; am not required by any law to be competent,” Bundy wrote in a motion filed to U.S. District Court Judge Anna Brown.

The filings are the latest in increasingly defiant and strange behavior from Bundy, including an alleged escape attempt from the Multnomah County Detention Center.

As justification for the filings separating himself from U.S. laws, Bundy filed a motion declaring himself a sovereign citizen of the “bundy society.” Within that filing, he declared himself a creation of God rather than a “person” as defined by legal dictionaries, and therefore is not subject to laws.

Bundy also wrote that his wife and children are members of the Bundy society, Brown is guilty of perjury, and that he believes his home state of Nevada and the state of Oregon are not within the United States. Instead, Bundy said both states are “sovereign union states” that are not within the jurisdiction of the U.S., which he said is limited to the District of Columbia.

Bundy’s declaration of sovereign citizenry is signed by his brother and fellow occupier, Ammon Bundy, as a witness. Both Bundys were leaders of the 41-day occupation of the wildlife refuge near Burns, Oregon.

Self-declared “sovereign citizens” have a long, if unsuccessful, history of declaring themselves not subject to federal laws.

Bundy also told the court in the filings that any past signatures by him are now invalid and that U.S. marshals and other law enforcement are illegally holding him in jail. He wrote that he should be paid $1 million to fill the “role” of defendant in the case.

Bundy muses in the filing that he is “willing to consider” playing the role of judge or bailiff in the case if the court pays him a similar sum.

“I, ryan c, man, will charge $100,000,000.00 if any man or woman or PERSON places another order for [me] to come before the court again regarding this matter,” Bundy wrote.

Continued here:
    http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...s/ryan-bundy-incompetent-subject-federal-law/
  5. DeathHamster Member

What, does he think he's an OT-VIII or something?
  6. Disambiguation Global Moderator

7. The Wrong Guy Member

Oregon standoff defendant Jon Ritzheimer pleads guilty in federal conspiracy case | The Oregonian

Quote:

Jon Ritzheimer on Monday admitted in federal court that he conspired to impede federal officers through intimidation, threats or force while participating in the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January.

The felony charge carries a maximum sentence of six years in prison, but Ritzheimer faces between 2 ½ and three years under sentencing guidelines, Assistant U.S. Attorney Craig Gabriel told the court. The government will recommend that Ritzheimer, who has no criminal history, be sentenced on the low end of that range, Gabriel said.

The 32-year-old, who lives in the Phoenix area, faced additional accusations of possessing a firearm in a federal facility and theft of government property, specifically taking cameras that belonged to the FBI. The government plans to dismiss those charges at his May 8 sentencing as part of a plea agreement.

The sentencing was scheduled for next spring so Ritzheimer and his defense attorney, Terri Wood, have time to gather materials and information that present mitigating circumstances before the hearing, Gabriel said.

Ritzheimer is the 11th of 26 standoff defendants to plead guilty in the federal conspiracy case that resulted from the 41-day armed takeover at the bird sanctuary outside Burns. As part of the agreement, Ritzheimer will also forfeit a shotgun that federal authorities seized during their investigation.

U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown went over Ritzheimer's plea agreement and petition in great detail. She asked whether he understood that he couldn't possess a gun or ammunition with a felony conviction and that he was surrendering his right to appeal.

"This really is the end of your case," Brown told him.

Ritzheimer said he understood. He wore a khaki-colored suit with a white dress shirt. He set his black sunglasses with blue-mirrored lenses in front of him on the defense table.

Before the Burns standoff, Ritzheimer was most widely known for anti-Islam protests he organized last year in Phoenix. They drew hundreds of people and caught the attention of the FBI. He also sold anti-Islam T-shirts through his apparel company, Rogue Infidel. The website now asks for donations to help Ritzheimer and his family.

Continued here:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/08/oregon_standoff_defendant_jon_1.html
  8. RightOn Member

slap on the wrist much?
    WTF?
  9. Disambiguation Global Moderator

http://katu.com/news/local/bundy-other-refuge-occupiers-claim-judge-never-took-oath

"In their complaint Bundy and his co-plaintiffs point out judicial officers must “be bound by oath or affirmation” to support the federal Constitution.
    They claim Brown never took an oath but did not provide any evidence or explanation for their claim.
    They demanded that they be released and their cases be dismissed “until there is a court of competent jurisdiction.”
    The group is demanding that each of them receive $100,000 in punitive damages for the time they’ve been jailed, and they also want $50,000 each in actual damages for lost wages."
  10. RightOn Member

11. DeathHamster Member

Give Bundy a check for $150,000, but don't allow him to cash it because it's made out to "AMMON BUNDY", a strawman, rather than "Ammon Bundy", a freeman on the land.
  12. The Internet Member

Their heads are full of fuck.
  13. Ursula Le Guin wrote to the Oregonian in the middle of the wildlife reserve take-over when the Oregonian was soft -peddling the issue.
  14. Disambiguation Global Moderator

The trial has started in Portland and one of the first Wittnesses is Sheriff Ward. He was threatened by the Bundy brothers, and some of the occupiers told his deputies to kill him.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...tandoff-bundy-trial-oregon-sheriff-david-ward
    "I was told that my responsibility was to prevent them from going to prison,” Ward said. “If I didn’t do those things, they would bring thousands of people to town to do my job.”

Ward said the ultimatum was concerning and that the men told him: “We can’t control what they may or may not do.”"
    Snip

"The prosecution also presented 2015 emails from defendant Neil Wampler to Ward, including one that said if the sheriff did not support the Hammonds, the county would be “invaded by some of the most determined and organized – and armed – citizens alive in this country today”. In another message, Wampler wrote: “WE AIN’T PLAYIN.”

Brian Needham, a lieutenant in the sheriff’s office, also testified that one of the occupation leaders, Ryan Payne, told him in a meeting that he should consider killing Ward, his boss, and replacing him.
  15. DeathHamster Member

"Mama, don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies."
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Meanwhile other militia news:
    Idaho 3% members quit after the leader spent donated money on personal items for unauthorized car accessory purchases, including about $300 on "automotive parts that allow diesel engines on pickups to produce thick clouds of smoke."
    Yahooo
    These were the Cowboys the $$ was supposed to go to
    "Drexler, Todd Engel of Boundary County and Eric Parker and Steve Stewart of Hailey are charged with conspiracy, assault on a federal officer, use of a firearm, obstruction and other counts stemming from the April 2014 armed standoff with federal officers who were thwarted from taking cattle belonging to senior patriarch and Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy in Bunkerville, Nevada."

http://theworldlink.com/news/state-...cle_890f7c31-e82b-5638-88b4-5e0af084fa44.html
  18. debraklinger Member

19. The Wrong Guy Member

All Seven Defendants Found Not Guilty In Refuge Occupation Trial | KLCC

Quote:

Ammon and Ryan Bundy have been found not guilty of conspiracy. Their five co-defendants Jeff Banta, Shawna Cox, David Fry, Kenneth Medenbach and Neil Wampler have all been found not guilty as well.

Jurors were unable to reach a verdict on Ryan Bundy's theft of government property charge.

The jury returned its verdict after some six weeks of testimony followed by less than six hours deliberations, and the last minute replacement of a juror after an allegation surfaced that he was biased.

The jury was instructed to disregard their previous work and to re-consider the evidence.

"It was a pretty jaw-dropping verdict," said OPB reporter Amelia Templeton of the climate in the courtroom.

Continued here:
    http://klcc.org/post/all-seven-defendants-found-not-guilty-refuge-occupation-trial

The Bundy Gang is Found Not Guilty | Willamette Week

A federal jury delivered a resounding acquittal today for the anti-government militants who occupied the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January, finding Ammon Bundy and his six co-defendants not guilty of conspiring to keep federal employees from doing their jobs.

More: http://www.wweek.com/news/2016/10/27/the-bundy-gang-is-found-not-guilty/

Refuge occupier on not guilty verdict: 'Bundy was the only one I was really worried about' | KATU

http://katu.com/news/local/refuge-o...y-was-the-only-one-i-was-really-worried-about

Ammon Bundy's attorney, Marcus Mumford, arrested after standoff trial verdict | KATU

Quote:

Marcus Mumford, the lawyer for Malheur National Wildlife Standoff leader Ammon Bundy, was taken into custody Thursday afternoon shortly after a jury handed down a verdict acquitting the seven standoff members on all counts.

After the jury handed down its decision, Judge Anna Brown allowed all of the refuge occupiers to leave the courtroom except for Ammon and Ryan Bundy. Both men have federal holds for a separate ranching standoff in Nevada that was led by their father Cliven Bundy.

Mumford got into a heated argument that ultimately led to the attorney being led out of the courtroom in handcuffs. Our reporters say Mumford started repeatedly yelling to Judge Brown that his client was free to go.

"When you get acquitted, you get released. That's how I understand it," said Mumford.

He said he asked the U.S. Marshals to see their paperwork that gave them authority to keep his client in custody.

Mumford tells KATU News that U.S. Marshals surrounded him and told him that he was resisting arrest. The marshals tackled him and used a stun gun on him several times, Mumford said.

The judge cleared the courtroom after Mumford was tackled.

More: http://katu.com/news/local/ammon-bu...mumford-arrested-after-standoff-trial-verdict

Bundys found not guilty of all charges at Oregon occupation trial — but their lawyer is headed to jail

https://thinkprogress.org/bundys-fo...r-lawyer-is-headed-to-29b31ef1cae8#.601t93eag
  20. Disambiguation Global Moderator

21. DeathHamster Member

22. The Wrong Guy Member

Widow of slain Oregon standoff leader carries on his mission | The Associated Press

Quote:

Leaders of an armed occupation of a federal wildlife refuge in rural Oregon were driving to a public meeting a year ago when police shot and killed one of them at a roadblock.

Now, LaVoy Finicum's widow and their children are planning to hold that meeting later this month in the same town, John Day. Speakers are slated to talk about the Constitution, property rights and other issues.

"It is the anniversary of my husband's death. We want to continue with his mission," Jeanette Finicum told The Associated Press. "The people within counties and states should decide how to use those properties, not the federal government."

LaVoy Finicum was the spokesman for several dozen occupiers during the 41-day takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and has become a martyr for the movement to transfer ownership of federal lands to local entities. The U.S. government owns nearly half of all land in the West, compared with 4 percent in other states, according to the Congressional Overview of Federal Land Ownership.

Finicum's cattle brand, an L connected to a V with a floating bar, adorns bumper stickers, black flags and T-shirts seen at conservative gatherings.

Jeanette Finicum has become something of a cause celebre in the year since her husband's death. She spoke at a rally on the steps of Utah's capitol. The Tri-State Livestock News, based in South Dakota, recently ran a story describing her dispute with the Bureau of Land Management over grazing fees. The agency administers 245 million acres of public lands and manages livestock grazing on 155 million acres of those lands.

<snipped>

Oregon State Police shot LaVoy Finicum three times on Jan. 26, 2016, after he exited a vehicle at a police roadblock in the snowy Malheur National Forest, held up his hands and then reached toward his jacket.

Authorities concluded the officers were justified because they thought Finicum was going for his pistol. But at least one FBI Hostage Rescue Team operator fired two shots at Finicum's vehicle — shots that were not disclosed during the investigation.

In March, the inspector general of the U.S. Justice Department began investigating possible FBI misconduct and whether there was a cover-up. The inspector general's office declined to discuss the investigation last week. The U.S. attorney's office in Portland said it was ongoing.

Jeanette Finicum insists her husband was not a threat and that he was murdered. Her lawyer has said the family plans a wrongful-death lawsuit, and Finicum said she will release more details during the Jan. 28 meeting.

It's being held at the fairgrounds in Grant County, which neighbors the county containing the refuge.

<snipped>

The FBI expressed no concern about the upcoming meeting. "Everyone has a constitutional right to assemble, and to free speech," spokeswoman Beth Anne Steele said.

Grant County Judge Scott Myers granted permission for the fairgrounds, a county facility, to be used for the event, saying rejecting the request could have had more repercussions than allowing it to happen.

Myers said he doubts it will pose a threat but then added, "I have steadfastly tried to convince myself that over the past few months."

Full article: https://apnews.com/4482fa9bc8764f7fae0ea86c89a793d9
  23. The Internet Member

Let's say I'm a bartender working at some dive in eastern Oregon. Why the fuck would I care whether a bird refuge was owned by the Federal government or the state government? Maybe I would like to know how the park would be run differently. But that is about it.

Is the transfer of ownership of Federal lands a cause worth dying for? I would say, no.

We do know that the fossil fuel companies have groomed a bunch of "patriots" to fight against Federal agencies like the BLM and the EPA. And they have congressmen promoting the idea of stripping Federal control of our shared lands. But the last people we should trust are those fossil fuel companies. They have a long history of spreading fake news to Americans. That means they know Americans would not like what they are about if all the facts were known.
  24. DeathHamster Member

I wonder what the Bundys would do if that land they mooch on was put up for sale at fair market price, and they could either buy it or have to deal with the person who now owned it?
    • Like Like x 1
  25. The Internet Member

I know you are making a funny because no private landowner would put up with their abuse. Still I will riff on your comment.

Maybe it would be okay to sell certain tracts of Federal land. I'm not entirely against the idea but I think we need to go case-by-case rather than blanket policy.

Cliven Bundy doesn't actually run a cattle ranch. His feral cattle roam everywhere. Then once in a while he or his boys go shoot one for personal use. In other words, no visible means of support. So I wonder about invisible means.

I remember reading about an unnamed Ammon Bundy supporter who paid for the Bundys' many pocket constitutions.

Russia wants the US to break apart. Federal lands are a great insurance policy against that ever happening. So I do not want the US to lose its land.
  26. Ann O'Nymous Member

Sorry. I do not see the connection between the two sentences.

IMHO, what could break the US apart is almost everywhere but land ownership. And Russia would not be the only place happy about it.
  27. The Internet Member

The more stuff we have in common, the less likely we are to devolve into independent states.

If not the behavior, the ideals at the foundation of the US are pretty good --respect for individual human rights, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, the rule of law rather than authoritarianism.
  28. Ann O'Nymous Member

IMHO, what you need most in common is a sense of belonging to a country, in all its diversities and contradictions. I heard Chomsky mentioning a book named "Strangers in their own country" that seems to address these issues.

Hell is paved with good intentions. And the USA have a long record of intervention abroad, leaving often a bad taste in the people's mouth, for good or bad reasons.
  29. The Internet Member

I agree about the belonging, the sense of our nation as a kind of extended family built upon shared basic values.

But still, the crazy states are less likely to sell out to international BigOil when large parts of them are owned in common by everyone in the US.

BTW, you guys could help us hang on to our own country by leaking financials on our emerging oligarchy. Thanks so much.

We got work to do on our foreign policy methods, I agree. The world is smaller every day and we need friends.

Back to the land issue: you have to ask, why do some people think the Federal land should be transferred to State control now, after maybe a hundred years of Federal management?

One more thought: one lesson I get from things like Rwanda, Germany in the early 20th century, Brexit, and Trump is this: nations can go full retard rather suddenly. Even nations with good higher education and a sophisticated civil infrastructure. Maybe there is a window of opportunity to stop the madness before something horrible happens. But we can't be sure of the signs of sudden change so we have anxiety.
  30. Ann O'Nymous Member

I agree with almost everything you say here.
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Two Oregon occupiers guilty of conspiracy in second trial | Reuters

Quote:

Two men who took part in the armed occupation of a U.S. wildlife refuge in Oregon were convicted of federal conspiracy charges on Friday, in a split verdict that saw two other men cleared of the same counts, prosecutors said.

The men and others participated in a 41-day standoff protesting the federal government controlling millions of acres of land in the West. Before participants eventually surrendered, police shot occupier Robert "LaVoy" Finicum to death during a roadside confrontation

Jason Patrick and Darryl Thorn were each found guilty of conspiring to prevent federal workers from doing their jobs at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in remote eastern Oregon, the U.S. Attorney's office in Oregon said in a written statement.

Duane Ehmer and Jake Ryan were cleared of those charges but found guilty of depredation of government property for using an excavator to dig trenches at the refuge during last year's occupation of the site, according to prosecutors.

<snipped>

Last October, another trial ended with the acquittal of anti-government activist Ammon Bundy and six of his followers, who cast their protest as a patriotic act of civil disobedience in opposition to U.S. government control over public lands in the West.

Ammon Bundy, his brother Ryan and their father Cliven Bundy are in federal custody ahead of a trial scheduled to begin later this year over another armed standoff with federal officers in 2014 in Nevada. The first of three trials in that case began on Feb. 9.

More at http://www.reuters.com/article/us-oregon-militia-idUSKBN16H2LZ
  32. Lord Xanax Member

I'm relieved somebody was convicted of something.
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

35. https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/feb/06/jury-selection-begins-for-trial-of-6-in-bundy-ranc/
    Comment
    "Put all these bums in one large cell, with no food or water and just let nature slowly take its course."
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

FBI agent indicted, charged with lying about shooting during encounter with Oregon refuge occupier | The Washington Post

Quote:

A special agent with the elite FBI Hostage Rescue Team has been indicted and accused of trying to cover up the firing of gunshots during an encounter with a member of an armed group who occupied an Oregon wildlife refuge last year.

The indictment — filed last week and made public Wednesday — does not accuse Special Agent W. Joseph Astarita of shooting the occupier, but it is a public black eye for the FBI group, which the bureau has described as unparalleled in its law enforcement capabilities.

At the height of the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, which stretched on for weeks at the bird sanctuary in southeastern Oregon, authorities pulled over some of the group’s leaders as they traveled on a snowy highway toward a meeting on Jan. 26, 2016.

FBI agents and Oregon State Police troopers swarmed the group, and one of the occupiers — Robert “LaVoy” Finicum, a 54-year-old rancher who acted as the group’s spokesman — tried to drive away at high speed.

After nearly hitting an agent, Finicum veered off the road and into a snowy bank. He walked toward an officer, appearing to reach for his jacket, in which officials say he was carrying a loaded 9mm handgun. State troopers opened fire and struck Finicum three times in the back, killing him.

Weeks later, authorities said they had deemed the shooting justified because the troopers feared for their lives. That same day, Oregon officials and the Justice Department’s inspector general announced that they were investigating the actions of FBI agents during the encounter.

Deschutes County Sheriff Shane Nelson said at a March 2016 news conference that investigators found a bullet hole on the roof of Finicum’s car that could not be accounted for based on the shots troopers fired. Nelson said they came to determine that an FBI agent fired that shot. On Wednesday, speaking after Astarita was indicted and publicly identified, Nelson said Astarita fired the shot that struck the roof of Finicum’s car.

On Wednesday afternoon, Astarita — in a dark gray pinstriped suit and a red and navy striped tie — stood in magistrate court before Judge Janice M. Stewart. Astarita was next to a federal defender, who entered a not guilty plea on all counts. A week-long jury trial was set to begin Aug. 29; Astarita is not being held in custody.

Continued at https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...during-encounter-with-oregon-refuge-occupier/
    • Like Like x 1
  37. DeathHamster Member

This was from the standoff at Bundy's ranch, not the later Oregon incident.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nevada-militia-idUSKBN1AB2XF
    • Like Like x 1