Customize

Brexit: the UK goes full retard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Internet, Jun 24, 2016.

1. The Internet Member

I hear the vote to leave the EU was yesterday. Being a lazy summertime faggot I have not been keeping up. So I was shocked this morning to see a headline about the UK voting to leave the EU and Cameron stepping down. I wondered if this was clickbait. But no, truefax.

My wife asked, "Why? Who is leading the anti-EU effort?" I guessed marketing --slick PR that hits buttons combined with constant repetition. Same thing that has people fighting GMOs and other perfectly reasonable things here in the US. Then I learned there was a pro-Brexit movie that gave me a Zeitgeist vibe and I was like, "oh shit I was right."

Quick summary for my fellow retarded citizens:
  2. anon8109 Member

3. I welcome our Scottish brothers with open arms into the EU

The UK wil be littarly decapitated.

Can you Imagine signs that say 'Welcome to the EU' on the Brittish Isle when you enter Scotland

Trollface.png

Flag-Pins-Scotland-European-Union.jpg
  4. Sekee Member

You do realize that Scotland is part of Britan?

5. Do you realize that Scotland can easily walk out of the UK

keep-calm-and-article-50.jpg.png
  6. White Tara Global Moderator

Yup I think the last Scottish independence referendum would have had a very different outcome had it been held now.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sekee Member

Yes, but it would still be part of Britan. If you wish to troll the English / Welsh for voting out I'm fine with that, I'm just pointing out that your geography sucks.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sekee Member

So do I. It looks pretty likeley that there will be a second referendum for Scotish inependance soon.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Malory Member

And Ireland is part of the British Isles :p

If Scotland go then a united Ireland would be for the best because fuck England. Sinn Fein are looking a border poll and this would be their best chance since Northern Ireland was created.

Also, dual nationality is handy at times like these.
  10. Sekee Member

Northern Ireland concerns me more than Scotland because if I recall correctly the Good Friday agreement has some basis in EU membership. If Sinn Fein calls for re-unification I’m concerned how the DUP will react.

11. "There is no future and England is dreaming"

12. The Wrong Guy Member

Brexit is Only the Latest Proof of the Insularity and Failure of Western Establishment Institutions

By Glenn Greenwald, The Intercept. June 25, 2016

Quote:

The decision by UK voters to leave the EU is such a glaring repudiation of the wisdom and relevance of elite political and media institutions that – for once – their failures have become a prominent part of the storyline. Media reaction to the Brexit vote falls into two general categories: (1) earnest, candid attempts to understand what motivated voters to make this choice, even if that means indicting one’s own establishment circles, and (2) petulant, self-serving, simple-minded attacks on disobedient pro-leave voters for being primitive, xenophobic bigots (and stupid to boot), all to evade any reckoning with their own responsibility. Virtually every reaction that falls into the former category emphasizes the profound failures of western establishment factions; these institutions have spawned pervasive misery and inequality, only to spew condescending scorn at their victims when they object.

The Los Angeles Times‘ Vincent Bevins, in an outstanding and concise analysis, wrote that “both Brexit and Trumpism are the very, very wrong answers to legitimate questions that urban elites have refused to ask for thirty years”; in particular, “since the 1980s the elites in rich countries have overplayed their hand, taking all the gains for themselves and just covering their ears when anyone else talks, and now they are watching in horror as voters revolt.” The British journalist Tom Ewing, in a comprehensive Brexit explanation, said the same dynamic driving the UK vote prevails in Europe and North America as well: “the arrogance of neoliberal elites in constructing a politics designed to sideline and work around democracy while leaving democracy formally intact.”

In an interview with The New Statesman, the political philosopher Michael Sandel also said that the dynamics driving the pro-Brexit sentiment were now dominant throughout the west generally: “a large constituency of working-class voters feel that not only has the economy left them behind, but so has the culture, that the sources of their dignity, the dignity of labour, have been eroded and mocked by developments with globalisation, the rise of finance, the attention that is lavished by parties across the political spectrum on economic and financial elites, the technocratic emphasis of the established political parties.” After the market-venerating radicalism of Reagan and Thatcher, he said, “the centre left” – Blair and Clinton and various European parties – “managed to regain political office but failed to reimagine the mission and purpose of social democracy, which became empty and obsolete.”

Three Guardian writers sounded similar themes about elite media ignorance, stemming from their homogeneity and detachment from the citizenry. John Harris quoted a Manchester voter as explaining that “if you’ve got money, you vote in. If you haven’t got money, you vote out,” and Harris added: “most of the media ... failed to see this coming ... The alienation of the people charged with documenting the national mood from the people who actually define it is one of the ruptures that has led to this moment.” Gary Younge similarly denounced “a section of the London-based commentariat [that] anthropologised the British working class as though they were a lesser evolved breed from distant parts, all too often portraying them as bigots who did not know what was good for them.” Ian Jack’s article was headlined “In this Brexit vote, the poor turned on an elite who ignored them,” and he described how “gradually the sight of empty towns and shuttered shops became normalised or forgotten.” Headlines like this one from The Guardian in 2014 were prescient but largely ignored:

inequality-640x306.png

Though there were some exceptions, establishment political and media elites in the UK were vehemently united against Brexit, but their decreed wisdom was ignored, even scorned. That has happened time and again. As their fundamental failures become more evident to all, these elites have lost credibility, lost influence, and lost the ability to dictate outcomes.

Continued here:
    https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25...ailure-of-western-establishment-institutions/
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Malory Member

Arlene's all smiles and smugness while Ian Paisley Jr is going for Hypocrite of the Year by urging us all to apply for Irish Passports. Theresa Villiers has said there will be no border poll because the conditions haven't been met. Quite frankly Sinn Fein have every right to be angry at such a high-handed dismissal. I'm from the Unionist tribe and am pretty pissed off at the way Westminster and the DUP seem to think democracy only applies over here when it suits them.
  14. Malory Member

And in answer to the piece Wrong Guy quoted, it simply boils down to xenophobia and racism. The British are being screwed over by the government (which only the English get to elect). Instead of blaming Westminster, they're sucking up tabloid lies from The Sun and Daily Mail that it's the fault of Eastern Europeans taking our jerbs, that we're going to be flooded by Syrians and Sharia law is just around the corner. Go outside of London and England is not a welcoming place unless you're white and English.
  15. Nigel Farage admits there WON'T be extra £350m for NHS - within HOUR of Brexit result

meme%2Barticle%2B50.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  16. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

26809-1yq77jg.gif
    • Like Like x 1
  17. White Tara Global Moderator

lol wat, implement a new rule retrospectively because you don't like the result. LOLOLOL.

Such keeness to revisit while completely ignoring the fact it pretty much undermines the whole democratic process.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. RavenEyes Member

I know, lol. Saw interview with someone who voted to leave because "I didn't think my vote counted. If I'd known it did count, I would've voted to remain." oopsy
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Mann Ace Member

with apologies to Bertold Brecht
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Mann Ace Member

• Like Like x 1
  21. Malory Member

22. Yessum we like to keep busy :D
  23. Not referring to hufpo tho.
  24. Mann Ace Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. Malory Member

Yeah, they resent them so much they voted them right back in.

HuffPo wasn't the only source for the material, just a handy link. Guardian and Independent have similar reports, so sorry I couldn't find a Daily Mail one for you.

26. View attachment funny-queen-britain-england-look-like-give-fuck-pi
  27. Random guy Member

Sigh, I was so proud to see Brexit not mentioned with a word on this forum, well, until now.

Xenophobia and racism are the result of poverty, disenfranchisement and loss of hope. The unwashed classes need someone to blame, be it the EU, immigrants or Westminster (or all of them). I've been following the debate fairly tightly (Brexit will possibly have some quite profound implications fir us Scandinavians), and I think writing this all off as xenophobia is missing the point. I'd say Greenwald called it right.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Random guy Member

It's hardly a very slick Koch-style machine being behind it all. First off, this is Europe, not the US. Secondly, had this been the work of a well oiled PR-machine, it would not have taken the entire political establishment by surprise. The main reason is probably anti-establishment feeling, much like those that has propelled Trumph to where he is.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Mann Ace Member

Britain seceded from the Union. That is delicious irony.
    • Like Like x 3
  30. Sekee Member

There are electoral rules stipulating the maximum amount that a political party is allowed to spend campaigning in the UK. Unfortunately we have a very right wing press who were pushing for Brexit.
  31. Mann Ace Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...n-london-trump-brexit-labour-column/86405874/
    and
    Read it all. It's interesting.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Mann Ace Member

Lol
    You can read what you want. It's the ideas that matter, not who states them
  33. Mann Ace Member

From Tyler Durden at zerohedge
    Just to repeat the important line:
    "They cross the line moving from an economic union to a political subordination of Europe."
    • Like Like x 4