Customize

Boing Boing: Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad.

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by moarxenu, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Boing Boing: Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad.

There is now.

Michael Geist - The Leaked ACTA Document
  2. Zelathago Member

You're doomed! All of you!

Now you will witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battlestation!

FIRE AT WILL COMMANDER!
  3. Dylar Member

To be honest, I've never been more motivated to don the tinfoil and fire up the onion routers more than now. I was already pissed off about the idiotic "Internet Freedom Act", but having something like this going on in the back room is scary as hell. I think this needs its own sub-form/situation room. Shit just got real.
  4. Anonymous Member

Is this shit on digg yet?
  5. RedOrbifold Member

yes, there is digg
    More on secret copyright treaty: your kids could go to jail
    Secret Anti-Piracy Treaty Turns ISPs into Pirates
    Here's That Leaked Copyright Treaty Document
    Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad.
    Leaked ACTA Draft: More Power to the RIAA

man the shovels
    also, this seems to be relatively new to the discussion

6. Ale Member

Honestly, I can not see the democrats pushing this through. Do you really want to be the party that kills off Youtube?
    Talk about destroying the under 25 vote for your party for a generation or so.
    This bill would be a death rattle for whatever party pushed it
  7. JohnnyRUClear Member

YES WE CAN
  8. Anonymous Member

Thanks. Although I couldn't read all of this, I enjoyed thinking along at first
  9. xoixoi1 Member

I doubt this will pass the first reading.

Does anyone remember what happened to Napster in the late 90's (I know some of you were still in diapers)?

They closed it (and then opened it again in a bad way). By then the internets evolved to p2p. They tried to shut that kind of filesharing down too but before they could, torrenting evolved.

There is a whole new generation of core to core encryption technology coming soon too. The government is pressing the ISP's to monitor because they know they can't do it themselves. The ISP's will expose a few token cases of cracking down to "show" they are dealing with the "problem" but they would never dare cut off the majority of their customers.

Everyone in some shape or form infringes on material in the domain of the internet. Is the government trying to crack down on 90% of the internet population? Big mistake. The cat is out of the bag.

Just another thought, in an increasingly globalised world, could it be possible to have a service provider in another country? The government would then be better to have the companies who actually own the physical fibre optics, cables and satellite connections monitor who is transferring what.

Ramble over.
  10. Anonymous Member

I think we should finish with our current target before thinking about the next one.
  11. Qball Member

Chanology has been beset with personal army requests for everyone's pet peeve cause since the begining, but assuming this treaty is as bad as reported, then this is one of the few other causes worth getting sidetracked on.

This goes back to the whole raison d'ĂȘtre of Chanology: someone's fucking with our tubes.

At this stage, the dominoes are already falling at a good clip. Anonymous doesn't need many people to do very much to sustain the current chain reaction.
  12. Anonynamefag Member

If this makes it passed the first reading, every hacker in the world will be up in arms, including Anonymous. But then again, I can't see this going anywhere. A bill this Draconian would be crucified by the press, and the political careers of everyone involved would be over.
  13. CBAnon Member

I've already sent some data to a few news contacts I know. Why not really leak this shit.
  14. Meatwad Member

Look, this all seems like a veritable problem, but is there really anything we can ACTUALLY DO? Think about it... Scientology (WORKS AND_IT_HELPS_PEOPLE) is an evil corporation. ONE evil corporation. One that has been under heavy criticism for DECADES. We've made a significant dent and could possibly end the cult once and for all, but when it comes to the internet being taken away we're talking MULTIPLE REPUTABLE CORPORATIONS and THE FUCKING GOVERNMENT. Realistically, there's really no fighting this as (Chanology) Anonymous currently stands. Our numbers are few in comparison to what they used to be. Our resolve, however, is not to be trifled with. The only real feasible way to do massive damage to this bill and anything it stands for is to reach out, find other groups like us, and do one of 2 things:

A) ASSIMILATE THEM
    Anonymous has the capacity to be better than great again if we have our old strength again. DEVOUR OTHER GROUPS AND MAKE THEM ONE WITH US.

B) MERGE WITH THEM
    There really is no better way to garner unwavering support than to get an ally. Assimilation will only help us, but alliances will make for an everlasting partnership in any fight.

I personally move to assimilate another group, but that's because I'm not a moralfag and want Anonymous to be a force to be reckoned with once again.

Whatever happens, I'll still be here to fight the good fight. Just like on that cold, cold day in Chicago in February '08, I will come out and support whatever we decide to do.

WE ARE Anonymous
    WE ARE (at some point going to be) Legion (again)
    WE DO NOT Forgive
    WE DO NOT Forget
    EXPECT US (to rise again)
  15. CBAnon Member

Here, Here! Posted this a few more places as well. Sent it to a few other place. Places that can do more then myself.
  16. JohnnyRUClear Member

Are you confusing Anonymous with Chanology? Or are you really saying that Anonymous is smaller now than it was? (I've never been part of Anonymous and wouldn't know if it did grow/shrink.)
  17. Herro Member

Fair enough, but remember, unlike scientology, this shit actually matters.
  18. Re: Boing Boing: Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad.

D<
  19. Anonymous Member

Then why are you here?
  20. Anonymous Member

I don't think it goes through congress. The executive branch signs the trade agreement, and is bound by it, without any input from congress, or us. It's a way for the president to make law, without congress.
  21. Anonynamefag Member

If this happens, it will be the next Eighteenth Amendment. NOTHING good will come from this. If Obama is dumb enough to sign this, hell will break loose. Hackers across the nation will declare war on the government. The ISPs will be pissed that they will have to alienate a good portion of their customers. The EFF and the ACLU will have a field day.

Not to mention, the possible rise of a 'black market' internet. I just can't see Obama taking a risk this huge.
  22. Anonymous Member

Would that take care of wikileaks.org? There are a lot of people/governments/corporations/etc. out there who wish for less transparency, and see wikileaks.org as a thorn on their side...
  23. Qball Member

Isn't it amongst the enumerated powers of Congress "To regulate commerce with foreign nations"?

Oh, probably. All these internal memos and things are property of company XYZ, see?
  24. Herro Member

You people amuse me.
  25. Anonymous Member

Not if it is just an agreement of physical procedures between countries at the border...which this trade agreement was supposed to be--that is, before it became an Obama nation security secret.
  26. JohnB2008 Member

27. Anonymous Member

It's called meshnet
  28. JohnB2008 Member

I thought I should add, the most creepy cunt in the uk, Peter Mandelson wants to do something very similar to this. If everyone just gets VPNs then he's screwed. He is such a creepy fucking cunt. I hope he and Gordon Brown lose their jobs - they suck out loud.
  29. JohnnyRUClear Member

What was the first sentence of the Constitution, again? I forgot....

That's correct, although the Senate (only) and Prez handle treaties, which this is(? -- I haven't read it yet). The question of what is "commerce" may be pertinent here.
  30. Olrik Member

This is not just a US matter. Europe, Japan, etc. are concerned.

In other words, this is a work for Anonymous.
  31. Anonymous Member

Fighting Scientology is all I signed up for. Second it's down I'll be waving cheery-bye to Chanology.
  32. Olrik Member

No problem. This is not an army.
  33. auchraw Member

I swore I wouldn't get involved since I am not an expert but this ^^^^ is a load of bull (apart from the capslock problem).

Taking down CoS is a side-show, a trial run. This promises to be a real war. Every YouTuber has an interest in getting involved and they ARE Legion. There might be a future after all.
  34. Shinythings Member

I don't really know if some action should be take or just don't distract your enemy while he's making a mistake thing
  35. Qball Member

A useful strategy where CoS is involved, but not here I think.

Sitting back and hoping opposition politicians will fight this tooth and nail is overly optimistic. Most will back off after some token face-saving changes are made, and pocket the favor to be spent on some other issue. Liberties and freedoms have been negotiated away piecemeal for decades, I don't expect it to change anytime soon.

By all means, send a volley of harpoons to elected officials letting them know a large number of people are pissed about this and that they can score points with voters by opposing this. At the very least, they can fight a delaying action, keep this in the spotlight.

Get the word out to Obama's youthful tech-savvy cheerleaders that their great hope for change has sold them out, that'd be our best avenue of advance.
  36. Anonymous Member

It would even take care of WWP. And,we still don't know if Scientology, along with the entertainment industry, is behind the scenes trying to push this through.

Here is a good article on how to fight this.

ACTA Remains Closed: The Difference Between Inclusion and Transparency. | Public Knowledge
  37. xerobebop Member

Anon guides me. I will follow.
    Your orders?
  38. Kilia Member

I need to digest this some more.
  39. Viva la Revolution!

Ladies and gentlemen. Anons, furries, hackers, /b/tards, otaku, /d/eviants, and /x/philes. Geeks, nerds, posers, camwhores. Gamers, pro and noob. Newfags, oldfags, teapartiers, and the cancer killing the Internet. Netizens of all shapes, sizes, genders and ages, this is a call to action. Our precious Internet has come under attack. The worse kind of attack, by a government claiming to value freedom. The black curtain of censorship once again threatens our home in a way we have never seen the likes of. Bush created it, and Obama perpetuates it. This "treaty" has been kept under wraps under the precedent of "national security" (never mind that it has nothing to do with national security). Thanks to a recent leak, we know. We are on the move. And we will fight. Chanology was a warm-up, as was the campaign against Faux News, Operation Baylout, and all of the others. Now, it is personal.

Netizens! It is time we rise up, despite genders, races, nationalities, ages, and cultural differences! We have a common purpose today: The defense of our communication medium, our learning tools, our jobs, our link to the world, our home. We must defend the Internet. I read this and I raged. I raged harder than I have ever raged before. This will not go unpunished. The INTERNET WILL NOT SUBMIT! Educate yourself. Gather the dox. Man the harpoons, charge your LAZORS, and prepare for war. On this day we show them who we are. On this day, we show them we cannot be controlled, restricted, or denied our monies, our lulz, or our friends, real or imagined.

Courage Wolf tells us that you are never taller than when you stand up for yourself. On this day, the Internet shall tower over the oppression of institutions, over the government. Stand tall hackers, shoppers, and DoS'ers. Stand tall chantards, furries, and Gentlemen. Stand tall Anonymous. Stand tall camwhores. Stand tall Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians. Stand tall England. Stand tall Japan.

Stand tall, Internet. Stand tall.

Secret copyright treaty leaks. It's bad. Very bad. - Boing Boing

Lois.Mockabee@trade.gov
    Submit a foia request to the department of commerce

efoiarequest@doc.bis.gov
    submit a foia request to bureau of industry and security, specifically

202-456-1414 this is the white house line. When called an answering box for Obama comes up. Express your hate for this. If enough people complain. The idea will eventually come into recognition. (CONFIRMED LEGIT)

Spread the word! Forward this to everyone. Post on youtube, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Myspace, every forum, every imageboard. Leave no corner of the Internet untouched.

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
  40. Anonymous Member

Re: Viva la Revolution!

SAGE