Customize

Bart Simpson voice used for Scientology promo

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anoniemert, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Anoniemert Member

2. Mutante Member

Re: Bart Simpson voice used for Scilon promo

Nothing escapes our Sekrit Leadaaaah!!!

perez-hilton-1.jpg
  3. Anoniemert Member

mmh, just saw this was allready mentioned in the other cartwright thread.

Meh, doesn't matter, this is so harpoonworthy that it deserves it's own thread.

Who owns the rights to that voice? would there be any point in pooning them at this time?
    Chances are they allready know as this seems to be 1 day old news
  4. iaxiloll Member

Each time I hear the name Bart Simpson I think of this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPCQXcsG28&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Fox News : Red Eye on Scientology & Nancy Cartwright[/ame]
  5. Re: Bart Simpson voice used for Scilon promo

The Grand Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland Center, 1/31, 6:30 p.m.

Since it's on the Internet, clearly LAfags have been invited. Share OUR many wins!
  6. 3rdMan Member

Isn't there a copyright violation going on here? As in Nancy shouldn't be using this to promote another company? Or has Fox News decided to like Scifags?
  7. Edweird Member

launch 'poons!
    - compare scilon use of child cartoon character to big tobacco using joe camel
    - question her rights to use the character voice to promote and endorse a product potentially without the permission of the intellectual property owner Matt Groening.
  8. Re: Bart Simpson voice used for Scilon promo

Bart Simpson -- Drawn Into Scientology - TMZ.com
    IDontLikeYouInThatWay.com: Bart Simpson is So Gonna Get Sued
    http://www.holymoly.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,12643~1536244,00.html
    They Got Bart Simpson! | Dlisted
    http://glosslip.com/2009/01/26/wtf-bart-simpson-joined-scientology/

Now would be an excellent time to point out that Nancy is part of the CCHR, her donation going to the Scientology War Chest and the paranoid assaults on psychiatry (Like the "Global Obliteration" video and other things)

9. Re: Bart Simpson voice used for Scilon promo

I really am interested to find out whether she has the right to use the voice in this manner. I seriously doubt it!
  10. Optimisticate Member

She most likely does not have the right to use her Bart Simpson voice in anything other than Simpsons' promos. Most studios own the copyright of the voice, and after almost 20 years being on the air, I'm pretty sure Fox has dotted the i's and crossed the t's and made sure their ass is covered in copyrights.

Voice Acting's Toughest Legal Questions Answered By David Canton | Vox Daily

That said, why is Fox promoting Scientology? :)
  11. anonguy123 Member

me too, and she also used the name bart simpson for it..
  12. xenubarb Member

Fox doesn't answer to us, unfortunately. If they do act on this, we may not hear about it unless it hits celebrity news.

Of course, if it's publicized in other media sources, they'll have no choice but to do something.
  13. xenubarb Member

Fox doesn't answer to us, unfortunately. If they do act on this, we may not hear about it unless it hits celebrity news.

Of course, if it's publicized in other media sources, they'll have no choice but to do something.
  14. Optimisticate Member

I wish someone at some point would answer to Anons! :)

BUT, it's hit the fan and is spreading.

Moar links:

Bart Simpson Somehow Became Affiliated With Scientology

Bart Simpson shills for Scientology

Creepy: Bart Simpson robo-calling for Scientology (with epic pic!)
  15. bAnon Member

The always funny (and Anon fan) wwtdd.com says this: "Did they think people were on the fence about joining their cult, and hearing the voice of a cartoon 10-year-old would convince them? If so these people are too dumb to even be believed. The scientlolgy center shouldn’t be closed, it should be enclosed, and everyone inside arrested for fraud or just shot for the hell of it."

bart simpson promotes scientology - What Would Tyler Durden Do
  16. Mousey Member

Fox answers only to money, as they are a corporation. Nancy Cartwright is using Bart Simpson's voice to advertise scientology auditing, so I give it a day or so for the C&D to be drafted and the punitive parts of her contract to be brought to bear.

You don't dilute a multinational's trademarks or IP, and you definitely don't use a character from a series that has its own marketing department. Fox gets paid money for the use of Bart's likeness.
  17. TheBitch Member

Well gee, I dunno about that. Interesting though to see parents say things like they've spoken to everyone in their neighborhood and Bart's now v-chipped, and next step is speaking to the rest of the local parents at the PTA. Course, if yer a $cilontololligist, this doesn't bother you in the slightest. I wonder if it'll make Matt Groenig realize just how fucked up this is? The first REALLY bad bad buzz I've seen for The Simpsons comes from a $cilon hungry for moar money.

Here's a lovely post that might make good copypasta...

Seems like moms in the midwest are "unhappy" heh.
  18. Re: Bart Simpson voice used for Scilon promo

OMG they killed BART!!

You bastards!

Spread on Reddit, Digg, etc.
  19. Mousey Member

The simpson's are a multi-million dollar vehicle that includes full product lines. Fox is a corporation. A corporations first priority is making their shareholders money, BY LAW.

There will be a cease and desist, but I'm also quite sure it's going to be very quiet. Nancy Cartwright has voiced bart for forever and changing voice actors generally pisses people off a lot (if the original voice actor is still alive.) so Fox probably won't do more than give her a wrist slap and a huge warning that if she dos it again, shit's going to get real.
  20. James Gut Member

Was it necessary for her to keep doing that laugh?
    At the end it was.... I'm kinda scared of Bart nao :(
  21. darkshadow667 Member

meh, you could call the 888 number with a Homer Simpson soundboard :D
  22. zebrafaced Member

No kidding. I kind of wanted to bury my head somewhere.
  23. Pacifist Member

888-841-7131

Skypefags, you heard the 10-year-old-boy-lady.
  24. eddieVroom Member

25. TheBitch Member

Nigga please! You have ANY idea how much money is at stake? They won't let that dog die until they've squeezed every syndication dime from here to Proxima Centauri and the 31st Century Faux. I agree, weird thing is it's not a difficult voice to do and lots of comics / impersonators out there who would work for double scale and think they was lucky for it. None of my business, but that'd be wot? Another cool 10 million Groening could put in his pocket? Just sayin... lose a headache, pocket 10 mil. Wot's not to liek about that scenario?
  26. RedOrbifold Member

or better, use a voice changer software to just make your voice more homerish

boy, you've got some explaining to do
  27. Obi-Wan-anon Member

Strange. Scientology cries when one cartoon mentions them (South Park), but has no opinion when another one does.

The South Park episode probably got more people to read about Scientology than one robo-call from Bart's gonna do...
  28. Da Sandmastah Member

The show should have ended in '98 after Phil Hartman died. Life in Hell is awesome, he changed the title of his comic strip to Life is Swell. One of the many reasons I read the LA Weekly.
  29. 13Heathens Member

I seem to remember seeing a video with that same sound clip in it about a year ago. I believe this is old news.. unless they're reusing the same promotional crap.
  30. The Shadow Member

Fixed
  31. Optimisticate Member

Gawker does it bestest:

Bart Simpson Pushes Scientology: 'Don't Have A Thetan-Ridden Cow, Man!'*

*TheBitch's quoted comment above came from this
  32. Obi-Wan-anon Member

^^^ This ^^^
  33. Nataku Member

34. TheBitch Member

I am so happy... so very happy.

3234208965_a8d51f8757.jpg?v=0.jpg

The New York Daily News haz it nao...

Bart Simpson's voice being used to promote Scientology event

Comments require registration, and I didn't quote it cause I want ya'll lazy bitches to go go go and do! Is good article that says "Matt Groeneig has yet to comment" or words to that effect, which means "Hey Matt! When you gonna say something about this shit!"
  35. TheBitch Member

Bump.... AHAHAHHHAHHAHAHA....

Bart Simpson robocalls for Scientology | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

Well bitches, answer the man's question! Comments require registration.
  36. Re: Bart Simpson voice used for Scilon promo

What I hate here is Fox's double-standard. I remember from 99' or 00' Dan Castellaneta did a favor to an old buddy of his, Paul Krassner, by dubbing a intro track to Krassner's CD as Homer. It wasn't even "Hi! I'm Homer Simpson and I endorse this CD" it was just a very random rambling 2-minute long monologue, but when the Fox was told they [strike]came down hard[/strike] stalled and stalled and stalled and finally declined permission to Krassner which stopped production of his CD in the meantime.

(I still have that track lurking around on one of my harddrives... I think... Hold on.)

Er, Still looking...

Meanwhile, click this ling.

37. Anonynamefag Member

RAAAAAAGE!!!!!!

They just killed one of my favorite shows. I used to be able to look past Nancy being a Scilon for the sake of enjoying the show, but this is the last straw.

Fuck you, Cult. Just... fuck you.
  38. Akujiki Member

0810rage.jpg
  39. whosit Member

My oh my is this going to turn into a flap for Scientology.
  40. Anonynamefag Member

Is that Ollie?